fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 2,600 total)
  • Author
    calidris
    @calidris

@this-is-not-an-alien time to unleash Val’s power of *special interests* and *neurodivergency* XD

*laughs as one fey*

C. Leonard
    @lady-grace

*reads everything* *chokes on laughter*
    🤣🤣🤣 Vulture vomit! *wanders away to confuse my friends by talking about vultures throwing up on castle lords*
    Honestly though, that is hilarious and genius @calidris

Live a life filled with wonder

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@calidris

@lady-grace

LOL that sounds like an amazing plan! ‘Hey Abirami! Go barf on this guy!’ 😂😂😂😂

Cam I least give Saevus the pleasure of chopping off a limb before Abirami goes in for the kill…death by barf 😂

“Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship”

calidris
    @calidris

@lady-grace @ethan-leonard hehe I’m glad you guys like it!  Of course he can – although…IDK how well Saevus’ blade will hold up against stone…

I’ll try and write Kit and Val tomorrow!  This will be fun XD

*laughs as one fey*

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@calidris

Vulure vomit? Awesome idea! I can’t wait to see this… XD

@everyone

Jade and Isaias are now officially out of the Castle, and I’m going to throw Mara in now because this seems like her kind of situation. And maybe she’s been rather stubborn and reserved in her book, so the Castle is a time out 😂.

Mara Gobey-Hanad

Appearance: About 5 feet 7 inches / 1.7 meters; dark brown skin, hair, and eyes; oval face; wears hair in cornrows with the ends dyed pink; strong and (publically) proud of bearing; wears the same all black clothes as everyone in Benevola.

Personality: Competitive, musical, intense sense of honor, respects authority, perfectionist, diligent, proud, deep love for her little brother. Honestly a more tender person than Jade, which is rather odd since Mara is a sort of antagonist.

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

calidris
    @calidris

@e-n-leonard Great!  It’s going to be interesting to see the “real” Mara, since Jade really seemed to have issues with her, and I don’t really trust her for an unbiased opinion XD

Also

wears hair in cornrows with the ends dyed pink

Kit approves.

*laughs as one fey*

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

@calidris

XD Jade’s got her reasons, but she’s definitely not unbiased when it comes to Mara. I (and Mara) are glad Kit approves. Pretty much everyone else hates her hair.

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

Mara

Crash!

Mara jolted out of sleep. That was not the New Day bell. Could the Fishers be…? There were rumors, after all. She stepped forward in the dark, reaching out for where her brother should be, safe in bed — and found only empty space. Panic shot through her veins. Crashing noises continued to emanate from some room that shouldn’t exist. Her brother’s absence and the strangeness of it all inspired the sort of terror that always forced her to fall back on her training. Again and again, circumstances reminded her that nothing was so certain, so useful as the skills of a Protector.

She felt around till she found a wall, which she then crept alongside, listening for anything that could reveal what lay ahead. Shouts, buzzing, metal clashing with metal. Definitely some sort of fight. Lucky that Mara had slept with her toolbelt on because of the ever-increasing danger in Benevola. Light grew and flickered in colors both icy white and fiery red. When she drew near to a corner, she reached down to her belt. Cool metal reassured her fingers that she could handle whatever lay ahead. She’d trained for them all: savages, rebels, and invading soldiers alike.

Therefore, upon seeing a motley assortment of children, insects, and alien-looking people all clustered around two dueling figures, one dark and yet flaming, the other white and cold as moonlit snow, Mara hesitated. This didn’t look like home. This didn’t look like her people, or even like her enemies. A fight was all well and good, but who would she fight for? No one was there to give her orders, and no uniforms distinguished the sides.

Then Mara saw that pale giant held a boy, perhaps using him as a hostage. She caught a glimpse of the child’s face. His expression decided everything for her. She slunk through the shadows toward the pale giant.

calidris
    @calidris

I (and Mara) are glad Kit approves. Pretty much everyone else hates her hair.

Kit’s in the exact same boat here XD

*laughs as one fey*

calidris
    @calidris

A little update guys –  Kit does indeed have ADHD, idek how I missed it the first time but it’s official now and I’m very interested to see how it plays out in the castle!

Not that it hasn’t already played out before…

@this-is-not-an-alien
    I’m particularly interested to hear your take on this because I know Ehud has ADHD too (and you’re neurodivergent as well!)

*laughs as one fey*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@calidris pft yeah, he’s ADHD 😁👌

(I’ll just say…researching ADHD for Ehud was literally like “That’s not normal…?” “I feel called out!!!” “DID SOMEBODY JUST WRITE THIS BLOG SERIES TO ATTACK ME!?!?!??!” *breaks down and takes 5-7 diagnosis tests and scores stupidly high in all of them* “Shoot. I better apologize to all those authors I was mad at coz they said their character was ADHD and “never showed it”)

But yeah, Kit’s ADHD.

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Oh fun fact! Neurodiverse people are twice as likely to come out as queer as the rest of the population!

calidris
    @calidris

@calidris pft yeah, he’s ADHD 😁👌 (I’ll just say…researching ADHD for Ehud was literally like “That’s not normal…?” “I feel called out!!!” “DID SOMEBODY JUST WRITE THIS BLOG SERIES TO ATTACK ME!?!?!??!” *breaks down and takes 5-7 diagnosis tests and scores stupidly high in all of them* “Shoot. I better apologize to all those authors I was mad at coz they said their character was ADHD and “never showed it”) But yeah, Kit’s ADHD.

YES BECAUSE I HAVE IT TOO (actually I was diagnosed with ADD and Asperger’s back when ADD and Asperger’s were actual diagnoses, but now they’re not so I just have plain old ADHD and autism, which I’m fine with because the origins of the name are very creepy and kinda related to eugenics and the Nazi regime.  Kinda interesting story behind it but also really disturbing.)

Anyways I think you mentioned you’re neurodivergent before, but as another neurodivergent girl I could just tell XD

It’s like a radar?  You just sense it?  I hope it makes sense, actually it probably does because I bet you’ve experienced it too XD

*laughs as one fey*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

YES BECAUSE I HAVE IT TOO (actually I was diagnosed with ADD and Asperger’s back when ADD and Asperger’s were actual diagnoses, but now they’re not so I just have plain old ADHD and autism, which I’m fine with because the origins of the name are very creepy and kinda related to eugenics and the Nazi regime.  Kinda interesting story behind it but also really disturbing.)

WAIT YOU GOT AN OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!

I’m too broke for that. 😂

I actually don’t know the origins of the name but I do know I haven’t pursued getting a diagnosis because of ablism – among other reasons – and malpractice. Worst fear being put on drugs to “cure” me just for science-experiment for them and then getting drug dependent or certified insane or something super bad like that!!!

Anyways I think you mentioned you’re neurodivergent before, but as another neurodivergent girl I could just tell XD It’s like a radar?  You just sense it?  I hope it makes sense, actually it probably does because I bet you’ve experienced it too XD

DA VIBES IS REAL BABY!!!!!!!! IT’S LIKE THE QUEERDAR THE NEURODIVERSE VIBES ARE SO REAL!!!!!

Like, have you ever experienced the like it’s not that stupid love at first sight thing but you instantly look at somebody and you be like “Ohh I recognize your type of soul, you vibe well with me: boom! Insta-connection even tho I don’t know you!!”?

And like gender confusion because you don’t experience this thing called gender that all the normals seem to experience and you have to perform your gender like a court jester and you never actually noticed your gender until everyone else started to have nuanced different behavior patterns toward you based on your gender and that felt frustrating like you’re supposed to be ashamed for being unabashedly you even if that doesn’t fit with the normal gender behavioral patterns?????

*cough cough* Or having gender-fluid toys coz you never assigned them a gender until it was plot-relevant? XDDDDD

Or loving rude people who weren’t trying to be offensive because performing politeness is just exhausting!!!

Heart racing from sitting still too long and now you’re literally going to DIE IF YOU DON’T DO TEN THOUSAND JUMPING JACKS RIGHT NOW AND TRY TO TOUCH THE CEILING AND DO A CARTWHEEL OR ANYTHING TO ACTUALLY GIVE YOUR HEART A REASON TO BE PUMPING!!!!!!!!!

calidris
    @calidris

@this-is-not-an-alien

WAIT YOU GOT AN OFFICIAL DIAGNOSIS!?!?!?!?!?!!?!??!

Yeah!  I was pretty young at the time – I actually can’t remember why my parents got me tested but it’s probably because I was having trouble concentrating at school.

I actually don’t know the origins of the name

Hans Asperger was an Austrian scientist who collaborated with the Nazis and sent a lot of disabled/autistic children to their deaths (the Nazis were trying to eradicate disabled people, and obviously they weren’t going to spare kids)

but I do know I haven’t pursued getting a diagnosis because of ablism – among other reasons – and malpractice.

SAME ok so when I was younger I was “undiagnosed” with Asperger’s because the psychiatrist probably wasn’t very knowledgeable about autism in girls (honestly a concerning amount of them aren’t.)  Obviously it was a doctors appointment of sorts and I felt very uncomfortable, so I was masking extra hard…so he just thought I wasn’t very autistic.  For a while I wanted to get re-diagnosed, but I heard a lot of stories about autistic women who were basically gaslighted and ignored by psychiatrists, or even diagnosed with personality disorders instead, so I think I won’t try and pursue that.

Also during Covid there were states that basically issued protocols de-prioritizing disabled people in the case of limited medical resources.  Like, if I had a diagnosis it could actually be used to discriminate against me!  I could (theoretically) lose my life because some people believe that I’m less worthy of life because I’m autistic.  And lets not even get started on the fact that a lot of people want to screen for autism in the womb so they can abort autistic babies 🙁

Also just the stereotyping?  The fact that a lot of people actually believe that autistic people don’t have emotions (some of us feel SO deeply,) or that media just portrays us as vaguely “weird” without actually exploring why we’re different and all the different aspects of that (and how some of this really is subjective.)  Also not all autistic people are weird?  Like, I know this obviously isn’t the case with all autistic people, but I actually have really good social skills!  This isn’t to say that I’m better than anyone, but it is a (sometimes valid) stereotype and it needs to be addressed and handled better.

Idk, I just think a lot of people don’t realize how real ableism is, and how it really is a legitimate form of discrimination that’s very socially acceptable right now.  It’s also one reason why I think my neurodivergent characters are so important to me.  It’s not something I originally meant to include, but it just grew organically because I kind of share parts of myself with them and those parts of myself happen to be neurodivergent XD  Tbh I think it’s also a way of exploring some of the painful parts of my past that I’ve experienced because of this while – especially with Val in particular, I just poured a lot of that pain into her and it’s honestly given me a great way to address that and work through that hurt.  It’s been very therapeutic ngl.

But also, I just get so much joy out of the fact that all of my neurodivergent characters are so, so PRETTY like they could all be models and it makes me so happy :’)

I actually did have a supremely horrible idea (realization?) that one day Kit will model for something and there’s absolutely nothing I can do to stop him…

Also autistic characters are always portrayed as so unappealing and frumpy, and it’s sad because we can be attractive too?  And it’s SUCH a prevalent stereotype.  In a lot of ways I guess I’m fortunate because I really don’t fit the stereotype in that sense, like I’m good at masking and I’m pretty, so I think to a lot of people I come across as “normal,” and I get treated pretty well.  I don’t think I’ve ever experienced blatant discrimination, so I’m really blessed in that sense.

Also no one tell Kit I said he’s pretty, he’ll never let me live it down XD

Worst fear being put on drugs to “cure” me just for science-experiment for them and then getting drug dependent or certified insane or something super bad like that!!!

I’m glad you’ve found a system that works well for you!  Personally, I really want to go back on meds because I could actually focus and read, but we’ll see!  Also judging by your posts I’m guessing you’re WAY more hyperactive than I am, so idk if meds would do anything for you because I don’t have that experience, and honestly if you’re thriving without them then you obviously don’t need to be taking them!

ALSO ALSO ALSO if you have tips on writing ADHD characters I’d love to hear more about your experience!  I feel like Kit’s experience is probably closer to yours than mine, so if you have anything you’d like to share by all means feel free to do so!

*laughs as one fey*

Viewing 15 posts - 2,566 through 2,580 (of 2,600 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest