fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 2,281 through 2,295 (of 2,830 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

*creeps in with a cup of soda and glitter*

*peeks around*

Hi ya’ll I is late…XDDD

I swear that nothing that just happened is my doing! Enydd was the one who decided to have a dark-not-so-dark side to her!!! I only meant for her to be happy-go-lucky and all smiles and innocence! *points accusing finger at Enydd* She brought this upon herself! *sigh* XD

Same bro same… *pats on the shoulder*

Also, I must just say this: EHUD IS AN AMAZING CHARACTER! He’s the guy that everyone immediately wants to adopt into their family. XD Sidenote: I now want bows like the ones Rosario has in her hair. 🙂

Aw thank you!!! He’s one of my favorites to write he’s really cutee

Oh for the bow you need something light enough to work with your hair’s weight, stiff enough to pop and long enough to have the whispies, you might have to experiment with your own hair length and thickness you can get these on amazon for ten dollars and they look about right: Uainhrt 4pcs/5pcs/6pcs/7pcs/8pcs Bag Handbag Handle Ribbon Scarf Hair Head Band Neck Scarf Fashion Gifts (U8082) at Amazon Women’s Clothing store.

If you want more fluttery styles you can also look at these for about the same price Amazon.com: AIVIAI Rhythm Band Large Multi-Color Rhythm Scarves (Pack of 12) : Toys & Games

*Was gonna make those actual links but SE does not like more than exactly one picture, link etc per post…I think…*

If you wanna do it in a ponytail like Rosario you gotta tie your ponytail first coz the ribbons will not hold it up esp if you have thick curls 😁✌️

(Dear Rosario only wears the ribbon coz Ehud gave it to her 😉

it IS Zorro!! (the B&W one: the guy on the left is Diego de la Vega) <3 BEST.SHOW.EVER! I didn’t know anybody else knew about it. 🙂

*whispers* But I thought Diego was Zorro…?

*gasp* I hope I didn’t spoiler anybody who’s reading this who’s gonna read/watch it I’m sorry!!!

OHHHHH have you read the book!?!?! It has a book too called the Curse of Capestrano!!! The dramatic reading on Librovox is actually really good idk if I spelled that place right…

Aw, that’s so heart-warming! and strangely ironic in a good way! I’m glad that broke the ice a bit. I’m really looking forward to later interactions between our characters! especially Ku and Ehud. hehe. I’m so glad you could incorporate the head ruffle so well!!! Setti is one of my favorite characters, and he has wings on his back and pin-feathers for hair on his head, so Abirami always, literally, ruffles his feathers. =)  Setti isn’t ADHD or anything, but Ehud does really remind me of him for some reason. =) Maybe it’s his sweet nature and bubbling energy.

Yessssssss! They’re so cute all of them!!!!

Ehud would probably DIE if he met Setti he’d be so excited by the wings lol. That would be funny…

XDDDD. soooo funny! That’s great! Reminds me of on Cloudy with a Chance of Meatball, the monkey with the ‘mind-translator’….. “mustache….” XD.  or my dad, who whenever he sees someone with a nose stud, just can’t not comment about it looking like a booger on the side of the face that he just wants to say, hey, you got a little… something… there. – – pick – – XDD

*Me who’s never seen Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs: looks up said scene*

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!! THAT’S AWESOME!!!! That reminds me of Megamind for some reason, same energy I love it!!

*snicker* The nose studs now I will never look at them the same…

So many very close parallels! After reading that, I feel like I should share how Abirami and Ku first met. It’s rather a funny story, actually. Sad, but funny in parts… Abirami was looking through the slums cause he was trying to find his father’s lost sword, just days after the city had been conquered by an evil emperor and his father killed, so the sword was nearly the last thing of his fathers that he had, if he could find it. Even his father’s home had been burned to the ground. While searching, he witnessed Ku steal bread from a soldier, who then chases after her. Abirami, in wolf form, then steals the rest of the food from the soldiers plate (the meat) and runs off. hehe. After eating, Abirami stumbles onto the soldier in the back alley, about to cut Ku’s arm off, so Abirami, still in wolf form, jumps in, saves her, and then runs off with Ku on his back to escape the soldiers who give chase. He later goes and looks for her because she was so malnourished, her skin was almost white (a sign of illness in an aelacrin – white skin typically means close-to-death for aelacrins.) This time in his normal form, and finds her sleeping behind a pile of garbage. He wakes her up, and of course she doesn’t recognize him because he’s not in wolf form, and Abirami, being a naive, awkward teenager, asks if she wants to live with him right out of the blue. She takes him as a predator and shies away. Abirami, being the addle-brained awkward teenager, recognizes she doesn’t recognize him, so he decides to transform into a wolf so she can recognize him as the one who saved her the day before…………… to transform, he has to take his robe off……… so this poor girl thinks he’s a predator already, and now he is taking his robe off…. (and remember, she’s really really short…) so she uppercuts him in-between the legs and runs off! After….. taking the time to recover…. Abirami transforms into a wolf and follows her, then explains properly that Semiramis, an adult, is taking care of him as an orphan and if she wanted to, she could join them… And that’s how Ku became part of Abirami’s family. =)   (snicker, snicker) (Abirami would have been about 13 at the time, Ku would have been about 6.) But Abirami is a hopeless savior-complex kinda guy… After taking Ku in, he runs into Menna and Setti, whose parents die when the new ‘evil’ emperor uses propaganda to blame the countries ills on the old government and anyone remotely involved with it. So of course, he adopts them in, and then finally finds a baby neulahdian (race of empaths) who had been abandoned to die in the wilderness (cultural reasons – similar to how some ancient cultures thought twins were evil…), and adopts him too. =)

Lol reasonable respond from Ku 😂 And in those situations it is much better to have to apologize for being wrong than have to live with being right and not listening to that instinct.

*Unfortunately I know I know so many of my characters that would do the exact same stupid thing even past the age of 13…*

Also “After…taking time to recover…”

He be like😵😵😵😵‍💫😶😶😶

😁👌

Poor sweet babies tho…

I think Ehud and Rosario and his brother Enoch all actually live with this barbouncer who sorta adopted them after he and his brother left their drug-abusing dad and Ehud just keeps adopting stay animals/people so lol…

Oooh! You could dub them Rosariud or Ehurio! hehe. XDDDDDD…. if Ehud and Ku ever became a thing, they could be Ehku or Kud. lol.

Perfect!!

…at least…I have no clue what kind of logic goes into ship names so…

They sounds good to me 😂

“I don’t eat people,” I whispered quickly.

This is the sound of me dying from overexposure to pure adorableness…

“It’s actually gender neutral,” Ku’aya explained. “They are asexual, meaning they can reproduce themselves without the aid of a partner.”

*Ehud relates very much to this nonbinary, asexual bug*

“Whoaaa, weird!” He said delightedly, shoving both hands in his pockets and scooting closer to the insect. “But…wouldn’t that be lonely? Not having anybody else to share that with?”

“Oh no,” She said “Bawls are very social insects. They will actually adopt whole colonies of different species of bugs and act as a wise guardian for them. It’s quite incredible. And they live for a very long time. some, even for years at a time! Shaear has been with me for two while years now! He’s a very old man now.”

“Gandolf Bug!” Ehud blurted flagrantly breaking the Fourth Wall why do I even try to stop him…? He pulled out the grandaddy longlegs out of his pocket, suddenly realizing it was still there.

“Will you marry me?!” She gasped

“-Oh! What do grandaddy’s eat?” Her words register. “Wait…what?”

Ehud turned pink all the way to the tips of his ears and his gray-blue eyes got wider than saucers.

“I can’t file houses!” He stammered a lot too loudly, completely and utterly blushing, almost ducking his head into his jacket. What he meant to say was something between “I don’t know how to file tax” and “I can’t pay for a mortgage.” because that was he associated with marital responsibilities. Actually, he hadn’t meant to say that he had no clue what he was saying!?!?

#Totalpanictotalpanic

“Oh, what you got there?” Ku-aya said quickly diverting all her attention to the granddaddy longlegs. Whatwashesupposedtosay??? Who-how-what??? How was he supposed to react he didn’t wanna hurt her feelings!!!

“Oh, that’s a harvestmen. Many people think it’s a spider, but it’s not. It is an arachnid, but see how it only has one body section, not two? That’s how you can tell. And while they can eat other insects, they are also scavengers, which means they can eat carrion or compost. Can we be friends?”

“Sure!” He cried, grinning sheepishly. Friends was safe friends was good! Should he say something???? Wait DID SHE HAVE A CRUSH ON HIM HE DIDN’T MEAN TO DO ANYTHING HOW DOES HE FIX THAT HE DIDN’T MEAN TO DO ANYTHING????????

“What’s Shaear eat? And what do you do if bugs eat other bugs and you like both bugs…??” Ehud stammered so so awkwardly. She laughed a little nervously.

“Most of my bugs are scavengers. They will eat anything that has already died, which is kinda beautiful, if you think about it, because they use death to promote life. It’s always so connected.”

“Yeah…” He said kinda softly. It was beautiful in it’s own way, like everything had a purpose and could still give even after it was dead…

“But for those who do eat other bugs, I make sure they go outside the hive to eat. And they are usually good with that. insects are very territorial beings. They have no issues cannibalizing a foreign colony. Especially if it means protecting the hive or self-preservation. Are not most men the same?”

“Yeah…” He agreed, thinking back on everything men had done to him. Pretty accurate, most people only ever look after their own skin or their own pack or tribe or whatever you want to call it. Family…?

“It’s awful that men are like that…if we instinctively know that’s wrong, we don’t have any excuse for it. But everybody always comes up with an excuse to excuse hurting people as long as they don’t know them too well…That’s not how it should be.” Ehud said, rubbing his arms. Then he turned red again and tried to come up with something up front to say to gently make it clear he wasn’t…he didn’t…have a crush on her…back, and he didn’t wanna hurt her!!!

“You know…being able to talk to someone and being listened to is like the bare minimum you have a right to as a person…you should expect it from everyone, not just special people in your life?” Even if no one actually…gives you the bare minimum.

“It’s like Shaear!” He caught on suddenly “he doesn’t need anybody to reproduce and to everything he needs, but that means he’s free to love other bugs because he wants to, and that makes it real love…I think…”

He scratched his head and turned red again. Was that weird? And out of place, nobody asked him for his philosophical rants and that was probably off-topic!

On top of that…he still didn’t know whether to call Shaear, he, she, it or gender-neutral they. He didn’t wanna say “it” because she loved the bugs so much that sounded disrespectful, but she said he so that was their assigned gender…right? Ok that was too confusing, EVERYTHING was too confusing, Ehud was completely lost, overstimulated and blushing horribly.

@jared-williams

Ah! That was so fun! This is so unlike what Ku’Aya normally is, it is great! ha! Really breaking her out of her tough shell and revealing her soft interior she never lets anyone see! This is great!!!

I KNOW right!!!!!! I had that with one of my characters that I thought was so hard to crack past his shell but he ended up really softening up to another character and it was like the amazingest feeling to have your character naturally do that with somebody else’s character, it’s like seeing your babies make friends!!!

I changed a little bit… hope it works well for you. hehehe. She popped the question. XDDD Told ya she would… Looking forward to his reaction. oh, and by the by… this is a picture depiction of a Loxor… (the giants of my world.) In case you were wondering… and even if you weren’t… hehehe. (wicked grin) Oh, actually, it’s a picture of a female loxor. The males are even larger (like almost two times larger…)

Lolol this is gonna be fun!!! Ehud’s gonna reach a whole new spectrum of awkward with this!!!!!

I love that Loxor’s expression like “what is this freaky babydoll in front of me!?!”

Awesome worldbuilding!!! Ohhh do they all have that hint of purple in their skin or does that change from loxor to loxor?

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

E. N. Leonard
    @e-n-leonard

What the stupid flopping fish was that?!

XDDDD what a great turn of phrase. lol

😂  Jade works at a fish farm and absolutely hates it, so a lot of negative fish sayings make their way into her vocabulary.

@rose-colored-fancy
      Nice drawings of Cal! The hair is really cool.

Jade paused in her dance to evaluate it just as Ophelia came near.

”Don’t make it too complicated. You can improvise; I’ll follow your lead. It’s harder with partners, though, but we’ll make do,” said Ophelia.

Jade bit back a caustic retort. Remember! Not Mara, not the Haven! Keeping her voice somewhat gentle, she asked, “Have you done much with partners before?”

”Some,” Ophelia said, “with Malcolm, and he’s really good. I’m not so sure about Abirami, though.”

Ophelia smiled, and Jade wondered why Ophelia used that to display nervousness. Oh. Maybe it’s to hide it? That made a little more sense. Same situation, opposite mechanism. Ok.

”I don’t think Abirami will cause any disasters,” said Jade. “Did you hear about what he did during the insect deluge? He’ll at least have his wits about him.”

Jade sat on the floor and patted the space beside her, even offering Ophelia a smile. “Eh! Isaias! Abirami! Come here.”

Abirami appeared relieved to leave off stretches and pliés, whereas Isaias bounced over as though he’d been having the time of his life and expected even better to come.

”What next?” Isaias asked. “That dance you were doing was great! Is that what this performance will be? What do you want me to do?”

”Sit down, first of all.” Bemused, she looked upon him as one would an excited puppy. “That is roughly my idea for the performance. However, you boys will have a different part in it. Ophelia and I will start in the center, but you both will be on either side of us with enough room for a leap in between.” Jade poked the ground to show placement. “Once we’ve leapt from center over to you, lift me — or Ophelia — up, spin around, and then carefully set your partner down facing Ku. Does that make sense?” She glanced between the Isaias and Abirami.

“You betcha! But who dances with who, and all, ya know?” Isaias asked. “I mean, you two are the same height, but he’s bigger than I am, but since you’re the same size that’s not important…and then we’re wearing the same clothes.” He gestured at his own and Jade’s identical Haven uniforms.

Jade stared at him while he rambled. Why didn’t he just get to the point? When she caught the hint of his cheeks going dark, the stare became a glare.

”You’re dancing with Ophelia. Both of you use Ophelia and I as anchors since we know what we’re doing.” Jade jabbed the floor again with increased vehemence. “Alright then, you and I will do a flying spin back to the middle. Once we’re there, the boys could —“ a smile crept across Jade’s face “ — they could parmesan over, no pointe, of course. Then we could do slow turns using fourth position as a base, and slowly go to meet them. After that, perhaps another lift and spin, set down facing Ku. If we want to keep it short, that could be the end. What do you think?”

”What is a parmesan?” asked Abirami.

”Watch.” Jade stood up. Crossing one leg over the other sideways, she moved to the left. “Go whatever direction you need to get to your partner, but keep facing Ku with your body while you do this. With your head look over at your partner, of course.”

”You betcha!” Isaias grinned.

Wow. Didn’t know Isaias was like that, but then, I didn’t really know much about him. 😂 He’s going to drive Jade nuts, apparently.

We are called to be lights in the cosmos.
    May your inkwells never run dry!

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

“As for where we met…” Kit’s gesture took in Avin’s well-cut clothes.  “Well, looks like you’ve got some money…”

Sure–now.

“…So you probably know how rich families are – lineage becomes dynasty, marriage becomes power, kids become pawns…I’ll just say Val and I’ve been on opposite sides of that chess board since day 1.”  He looked at Avin as if unsure if he understood.

Avin nodded. “Sometimes you feel like you’re on opposite sides of the universe, and she–” he bit the sentence off before he said “crushes you”.

“Although, we’re both kind of useless pawns now, and you know what happens to useless pawns?” he gestured. “Awful isn’t it?  It’s nice being free though, I will admit.”

Useless pawns. He wondered if Kit knew exactly how well that described it. His hand crept up his neck to rub the scars there. The weather must be changing. They always ached when the weather changed.

He said something, hardly knowing what or why.

“You don’t understand, though.” Kit whispered.  “She’s…well, terrifying, to be honest.  And super sharp, too,”  He seemed to feel her sharpness, in a memory. “She just doesn’t melt, you know?  No matter how hard you’ll try.  And believe me, I’ve tried.”

“Just doesn’t melt.” It had taken a snowstorm that had nearly frozen her to finally make Elsa melt. Avin smiled, remembering the gnaw of cold and deeper ache of the words she had used.

Kit was talking again.“I’m afraid I’m finally outclassed.”

“Outclassed?” Avin’s attention came back to the boy in front of him. “You’re never that.” He remembered the countless talks he and Big Jack had had together. “There’s no such thing as class, Kit. You’re a person, she’s a person. You just live a different life; speak a different language. You’ll learn. One day it will happen, and suddenly she’ll see you in a new light.”

why was he saying this. He remembered so well the look of horror on her face as she had remembered the insults on the mountainside. The look of shock and grief when he had told her about the orphanage.

Or maybe you won’t learn to speak the same language. Try as he might, he would always be Avin Merrelsby; never the Duke of Westlyn. Never the husband of Elsa, princess of Vegada. Only Avin, Colondite, peasant, orphan. He clenched his fists.

“My wife used to be a princess. we were outclassed.” Are outclassed. The voice wouldn’t be quiet.

“When the question finally came, she still said yes.”

Why? Why had she said yes? His hands hadn’t even been clean, as he kissed his fiance on the steps of the castle at Carisald in front of a cheering crowd. And she had been wearing a circlet.

@calidris
    . I didn’t really leave it with a question or much to go by, but I’m really tired, so that will have to be my excuse. Hopefully you can work with something here. 🙂

Quoth the raven, "Nevermore!"
    https://silverpenstrokes.wordpress.com

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy that second picture is Cal to perfection! Her facial expression is just *chef’s kiss*

I think I can get us out of this one. When the dance is over I have an idea for a challenge, though. Everybody gets into a situation where they have to help a) their favorite person in the castle and b) their least favorite.

Anika

“Do you mean where I was born or where I live?” Cal asked, a little cynically.

“Both?” Anika was confused. “Does it matter?”

She mentioned two completely unfamiliar names.

“I–‘ve never heard of those before. I wasn’t taught much, though.” her gaze shifted sideways, away from Cal’s intense stare. “Never got the chance you–you understand” She stared at her feet with Cal’s boots on and hoped she did understand. Surely she knew slaves sold at a young age never got the opportunity to learn?

She wasn’t sure. Cal was so different than anyone she’d met.

“And you? Not from around there, at least I haven’t seen you,”

Anika looked up again. “No. I mean, yes…I don’t know.” That made sense. “I’m from Rolivak Bay, just up the road.” she trailed off again. There was no road. “Here in Colondai, anyway.”

She wasn’t sure they were in Colondai. She glanced past Cal and saw a green person standing at the other corner of the room and frowned to herself. She and Natalya had wandered into somewhere they’d never dreamed of. She had heard of black magic in Colondai, years ago, and wondered if they had found something of a witches creation. A pang of guilt and fear shot through her. Then she shook herself. If this is black magic, Nat and I have nothing to do with it. They were often dragged unwillingly into evil.

“Victims of Circumstance.” Anika had heard the phrase. She wondered if those who used it really knew what it meant.

From behind her, Natalya elbowed her ribs. She was standing in a space too small, even for her small body. Anika stepped forward a pace, giving her more room; Cal’s boots felt heavy and awkward. She looked down at her feet, and almost tripped.

“It’s been so long, you know,” she murmured by way of apology. She glanced down at Cal’s socks. They had words on them. Anika’s eyes widened. It must be black magic, or some kind of dream.

All she managed to blurt out was, “what do they say?” and “Won’t your feet be cold?” From behind her she heard Natalya huff.  She didn’t care what a girl with blue hair’s socks said.

~~

Hope that gives you more to work with! I’m going to bed. 😀

Inkhorn
    @inkhorn

@this-is-not-an-alien

Aw thank you!!! He’s one of my favorites to write he’s really cutee

Oh for the bow you need something light enough to work with your hair’s weight, stiff enough to pop and long enough to have the whispies, you might have to experiment with your own hair length and thickness you can get these on amazon for ten dollars and they look about right: Uainhrt 4pcs/5pcs/6pcs/7pcs/8pcs Bag Handbag Handle Ribbon Scarf Hair Head Band Neck Scarf Fashion Gifts (U8082) at Amazon Women’s Clothing store.

If you want more fluttery styles you can also look at these for about the same price Amazon.com: AIVIAI Rhythm Band Large Multi-Color Rhythm Scarves (Pack of 12) : Toys & Game

*scribbles this down* Got it

(Dear Rosario only wears the ribbon coz Ehud gave it to her 😉

So sweet!!!!!!

solanelle
    @calidris

@irishcelticredflowercrown would you like to try an interaction between Lorcan and Valencia?

@emily-waldorf
    Avin has some of the same insecurities as Kit – although in his case…they’re far beyond justifiable (I mean an orphaned commoner/outcast/ alleged criminal marrying a princess – no wonder Avin feels insecure about it!)

I’m really interested to see where this interaction goes!  Also, if you don’t mind sharing, what’s the history behind Elsa and Avin?  It certaiinly seems to have been a r0cky road at first 🙁

*laughs as one fey*

solanelle
    @calidris

Ok so I have a rather unusual question for @everyone in here:

How would you guys feel if someone were to drop in an LGBT character?

I ask because I do have a bisexual character who I happen to be quite fond of, but the last thing I would want to do is make people uncomfortable!  I ask because his sexuality is actually really, REALLY important to his backstory, and while I don’t feel equipped to write this part of him right now (especially in the castle) the backstory may pop up at one point or another if I were to (theoretically) include him (you guys KNOW how character castle entries turn out) and I wanted to just kind of…read the room and see how people feel about this.

This is absolutely going to be written from a biblical perspective – my goal is to write truthfully, and also compassionately (just as I would with any other character).  I’ve noticed that this is an issue that many Christian authors are afraid to touch (just as I am tbh), but we don’t have issues writing other characters who struggle with sin or have moral flaws, so I think it’s something that we should certainly be open to trying (although with a lot of prayer – it’s definitely a very sticky issue).  But still…

I mean, just look at the sheer prevalence of beloved assassins this castle has hosted XD

However, this is also a topic that could make a lot of people really uncomfortable, and I absolutely want to respect those convictions.  I’m interested to hear you guys’ thoughts about this!

Also, I’d be lying if I said this didn’t have to do with the sheer amount of love I have for this character – it would break my heart if he were to be rejected in the character castle as well as in his story XD

So, what do you guys think?  Would you guys be alright with it if I were to (in theory) drop in this character?  Would anyone have any objections?

If it helps, I’m pretty sure he’s never actually acted on this attraction, so take that as you will

Of course, I could just (theoretically) include him and just omit that information…but obscuring a backstory is hardly ever fun XD

*laughs as one fey*

solanelle
    @calidris

“Outclassed?” My attention snaps back to Avin.  “You’re never that.  There’s no such thing as class, Kit.  You’re a person, she’s a person.  You just live a different life; speak a different language.  You’ll learn.  One day it will happen, and suddenly she’ll see you in a new light.”

Speak a different language.  Yeah.  That’s exactly how it feels.  But how exactly do I learn her language?

And when?

It feels like I’ve been waiting a long time for this, and I guess any rational person would’ve given up long ago.  But I just can’t quit on her.  Valencia intrigues me, and I’m pretty sure that I intrigue her at least a little bit too – at the very least, I know she usually enjoys spending time with me, and I think that’s a good sign.

I just feel like there’s potential here, that’s all I’m saying.

It’s just kind of hard to wait and see if anything comes of it, that’s all.

Really hard, actually.  Maybe heartbreaking is a better word?

But I can’t just quit because it’s hard.  If I give up on her now…I’m not sure I could ever forgive myself.

“My wife used to be a princess. We were outclassed.  When the question finally came, she still said yes.”

My eyes widen.  A princess?

That’s…

THAT’S SO COOL!

“You married a princess?  That sounds like something straight out of a fairy tale!”  I beam at him excitedly.  “Wait so does that make you a prince now?” Something pricks at the back of my mind, telling me I should probably shut up before I make a fool of myself – or worse, pry too hard and make Avin angry.

In fact, maybe I’ve already overstepped my bounds – Avin’s already clenching his fists…

Still, I have one more question burning in the back of my throat.

“So…that part about speaking a different language…” I trail off a little bit.  I’ve got that uncomfortable, exposed feeling again, but I think this time I should be safe.  Besides, Avin obviously has experience, and I don’t.  “Well, I mean that’s exactly what it feels like.  But how exactly do you learn her language?”

Strangely enough, it feels like a weight just lifted off of my shoulders.  I really don’t know Valencia, despite what I’ve been inclined to say.  In fact, I don’t know her well at all, and I really don’t know how to know her.  This is the closest I’ve ever gotten to real help, real advice that I’ve received, and I fully intend to listen to the best of my extent.

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@e-n-leonard

Nice drawings of Cal! The hair is really cool.

Thank you! 😀

@emily-waldorf

that second picture is Cal to perfection! Her facial expression is just *chef’s kiss*

Thank you! It really captured her attitude XD

I think I can get us out of this one. When the dance is over I have an idea for a challenge, though. Everybody gets into a situation where they have to help a) their favorite person in the castle and b) their least favorite.

Ohhh, I love that idea!

@calidris

So, what do you guys think?  Would you guys be alright with it if I were to (in theory) drop in this character?  Would anyone have any objections?

Absolutely do it! I’d love to see how you write it, it’ll be really interesting! I agree it’s something I’d like to see more Christian writers write from a biblical perspective!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ophelia

Jade shot me something that appeared to be on the verge of a frown but caught herself.

“Have you done much with partners before?”

I shook my head, then changed my mind and nodded. I hadn’t done much but I had done something, and I supposed that’s what she was asking.

“I’ve been practicing a pas de deux recently,” I said, “But Malcolm is much better than I am and Abirami–”

I glanced toward him. It would be far harder if I was the experienced one. I didn’t want the spotlight, I was far more comfortable in a supporting role, where I could just follow someone else’s lead.

I realized I’d been looking too grim and smiled, no matter how fake it felt.

”I don’t think Abirami will cause any disasters,” said Jade. “Did you hear about what he did during the insect deluge? He’ll at least have his wits about him.”

Wits made no difference. No matter whether he didn’t intend to cause a disaster, he still very well might.

I bit back that remark. Anxiety was clawing at me, but what could I do about it?

Jade shot me a quick, fleeting smile as she sat down and called for Isaias and Abirami. At least she didn’t hate me anymore. It gave me a crawling sense of uneasiness when people didn’t like me.

I glanced at Cal, who was talking to two girls I didn’t recognize. For the first time since I’d met her, she didn’t look defiant. But she still couldn’t stand me. I bit my lip. What had I ever done to her?

I listened as Jade outlined her choreography. When I was sure she wasn’t watching, I frowned. It sounded complicated. I didn’t know if lifts were a good idea to include with two beginners, but I wasn’t going to argue.

I frowned, trying to remember the whole choreography. Apparently, I was dancing with Isaias.

Her terms were hasty, and I struggled to understand what she meant. It was such a flood of information, I was sure I wouldn’t remember half of it. My heart was beating too quickly, and I let out a deep breath. This would be fine. I could just imitate her, and I’d be fine.

”What is a parmesan?”

The word caught me off my guard and I bit my lip to keep from laughing. What did cheese have to do with this?

However, Jade didn’t correct him.

”Watch.” Jade stood, and completed a neat pas de chat.  “Go whatever direction you need to get to your partner, but keep facing Ku with your body while you do this. With your head look over at your partner, of course.”

Oh. She was the one who had gotten it wrong originally. I was going to laugh, and I shouldn’t. I would not laugh at her expense. It could have happened to anyone, it was easy to hear wrong, especially how close the pronunciations were. Perhaps she’d never seen it written out.

None of those thoughts helped. The somewhat hysterical giggle was inevitable. I turned away and tried to cover it with a cough. My face had probably gone an alarming shade of pink from trying to hold back the laugh.

Jade glared at me suspiciously and I smiled, nervously.

“There’s a lot of dust here,” I said, my words tripping over each other in an attempt to sound convincing.

Isaias laughed and shook his head, probably at what he saw as a joke on my part.

I hurried toward the back of the room, letting Jade take the front.

Isaias joined me, and I smiled at him.

“Have you ever danced with a partner?”

He shook his head.

“Is it alright if I give you some tips?”  I asked, uncertainly. I didn’t feel like I knew enough to explain, but I knew something more than he did, so maybe I could help.

“Sure!” He said, cheerily.

I smiled, I was going to like him.

I started explaining, gesturing in front of me, trying to explain as quickly as possible.

“For the lift, I think she means a shoulder lift, those are the easiest. I’ll jump, you lift me by my waist, so I’m basically sitting on your shoulder for a second before you let me down. Does that make sense?” I asked, anxiously.

He nodded and I kept going.

“I’ll do everything I can but you have to initiate, otherwise the timing will be wrong. You have to bend through your knees too, otherwise, you won’t be able to lift me.”

I smiled apologetically. I felt terrible about telling him what to do, but obviously Jade wasn’t going to, and I was worried one or both of us would fall over.

@e-n-leonard

I’m not sure if that was what you meant by parmesan, I had to look it up to make sure that wasn’t just something I don’t know about XD

I really like how Jade is opening up and taking control of the dance as well! This is pushing Ophelia really far out of her comfort zone XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Also, I had a bit of a revelation about Cal. I think she was coming across as rather too mean, just for the sake of it, and that isn’t really in character for her. So I think I’ll be doing something of an adjustment, so it might seem a little out of character.

Calliope

“I–‘ve never heard of those before. I wasn’t taught much, though.” Her gaze drifted away. “Never got the chance you–you understand”

“That’s alright, don’t worry about it,” I said. I hadn’t meant to make her uncomfortable, even if I didn’t understand in the least.

“I’m from Rolivak Bay, just up the road. Here in Colondai, anyway.”

I laughed, trying to stifle the sound.

“If not knowing about a single university makes you uneducated, then how much worse is it for me who has never heard of that entire country–city– whatever you just mentioned?”

I intended it to reassure her, but I wasn’t sure it was coming across that way.

Natalya urged Anika forward, and she almost tripped in the process.

She smiled back at me, though it was brief and as apologetic as everything else about her.

“It’s been so long, you know,” she murmured.

I nodded, as though I did know exactly what she was talking about. In reality, I had no idea. She seemed to think I knew something, but I didn’t, and I wasn’t sure I wanted to ask.

I had gotten good at faking confidence. I shook the thought out of my head as soon as it appeared. I wasn’t faking it. I was confident. Wasn’t I?

Anika was staring at my socks, then blurted out,

“What do they say? Won’t your feet be cold?”

I almost smiled.

“I’ll be fine,” I said. “They’re the most common irregular Latin verbs, they’re a present from my sister,” I said, unable to keep the wistfulness out of my voice.

Socks seemed an odd birthday present, but it was something of an inside joke. One year she’d found socks with kanji on them that spelled out utter nonsense, some of them completely nonexistent. We’d laughed over it so much that she’d secretly gotten them for me as a gift. It was a joke that was carried on each year by her trying to find the most bizarre socks. They were my favorite present every time.

This had been the first year she was gone. I had thought she wouldn’t get them, but she hadn’t forgotten. They seemed to have sprung from my long complaints via text about how illogical the irregular verbs were.

I shook my head, trying to forget and ignore the lump in my throat. I wouldn’t see her again anytime soon. I might as well get used to the thought.

“Do you have siblings?” I asked Natalya and Anika, trying to get my mind off it.

@emily-waldorf

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@calidris you already alleviated my two objections: That it would be seen as a sin and that he wouldn’t act on his attraction in the castle. I think it would be great to meet another character that you love. I understand your love of Kit already, so bring him on.

@rose-colored-fancy
    brilliant move to ask Anika and Natalya about siblings. I hadn’t thought of it really, so it was a great opportunity to develop their backstories. 🙂

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Avin

Kit’s eyes widened. “You married a princess? That sounds like something straight out of a fairy tale!” His whole face grinned. “Wait so does that make you a prince now?”

Avin smiled in spite of himself. “No: I’m only a duke, now. In Vegada the wife’s title is aligned with the husband’s, so now she’s only a duchess.”

…When she could have had so much more.

Kit’s smile faded slowly into a thoughtful look, and he started uncertainly, “So…that part about speaking a different language…” He hesitated, then went on in a determined rush,“Well, I mean that’s exactly what it feels like. But how exactly do you learn her language?”

Avin didn’t answer for a moment.

“When she nettles you, you have to act smooth, and don’t prick back.” He remembered the countless times when something Elsa had said stung him and he had just walked on, helping her find her brother and his king.

“Some day, she’ll notice…” he trailed off, searching for the words. How could he tell this young man about the cave on the mountain, where he and Elsa had finally understood each other? That day she had first started to see him as a man instead of a criminal; that day he had opened all the secrets of his past to her, that he never even looked into himself.

He looked at Kit’s face that eagerly searched his own for advice.  He looked away again, seeing a snowstorm and and the woman he loved lying unconscious on a cold mountain, the ice in her words still un-melted in his ears. “One day, something will happen. One of  you will see the other for what they are; not for what you want to be, or what you pretend to be, but who you are.” He looked straight at Kit. “It’ll be the worst and best day of your life. After that, you’ll still have to learn her language, but this time you’ll be working in it together. When you get a word wrong she’ll correct you, and when she loses her temper you’ll help her find it, instead of losing yours, too.”

He felt that open feeling again, the one he’d never wanted to feel once, and had promised himself he’d never let happen again. But he looked into Kit’s face, and saw the new way he glanced at Valencia, and figured it had been worth it.

He studied Valencia for a few minutes, then turned back to Kit.”She’s worth it–and she likes you. You just need to give it time.” He smirked at the expression on Kit’s face.”The last thing you want to do.”

He pulled himself out of his own thoughts. Now it was Kit’s turn.

“Where were you on the social ladder? Do you have titles in…your world?”

He’d never imagined those words leaving his mouth.

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

*whispers* But I thought Diego was Zorro…? *gasp* I hope I didn’t spoiler anybody who’s reading this who’s gonna read/watch it I’m sorry!!! OHHHHH have you read the book!?!?! It has a book too called the Curse of Capestrano!!! The dramatic reading on Librovox is actually really good idk if I spelled that place right…

Yup, you’re right. Diego is Zorro. He’s just being Diego in the picture. Zorro wears black. 🙂 No, I didn’t know there was a book! Now I’ll have to look it up!!

solanelle
    @calidris

Ok so I have a rather unusual question for @everyone in here: How would you guys feel if someone were to drop in an LGBT character? I ask because I do have a bisexual character who I happen to be quite fond of, but the last thing I would want to do is make people uncomfortable! I ask because his sexuality is actually really, REALLY important to his backstory, and while I don’t feel equipped to write this part of him right now (especially in the castle) the backstory may pop up at one point or another if I were to (theoretically) include him (you guys KNOW how character castle entries turn out) and I wanted to just kind of…read the room and see how people feel about this. This is absolutely going to be written from a biblical perspective – my goal is to write truthfully, and also compassionately (just as I would with any other character). I’ve noticed that this is an issue that many Christian authors are afraid to touch (just as I am tbh), but we don’t have issues writing other characters who struggle with sin or have moral flaws, so I think it’s something that we should certainly be open to trying (although with a lot of prayer – it’s definitely a very sticky issue). But still… I mean, just look at the sheer prevalence of beloved assassins this castle has hosted XD However, this is also a topic that could make a lot of people really uncomfortable, and I absolutely want to respect those convictions. I’m interested to hear you guys’ thoughts about this! Also, I’d be lying if I said this didn’t have to do with the sheer amount of love I have for this character – it would break my heart if he were to be rejected in the character castle as well as in his story XD So, what do you guys think? Would you guys be alright with it if I were to (in theory) drop in this character? Would anyone have any objections? If it helps, I’m pretty sure he’s never actually acted on this attraction, so take that as you will Of course, I could just (theoretically) include him and just omit that information…but obscuring a backstory is hardly ever fun XD

@irishcelticredflowercrown

@inkhorn

@this-is-not-an-alien

@jared-williams

@e-n-leonard

*laughs as one fey*

Viewing 15 posts - 2,281 through 2,295 (of 2,830 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest