fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,501 through 1,515 (of 1,832 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Quin

Leytera turned and smiled. “Always.”

Always. Shivers ran up his spine that didn’t feel like the cold. He smiled, and watched her make her way over to Niarok for the blanket. After a few minutes’ conversation, she came back, and Niarok brought the blanket to Qatar. Quin sighed in relief.

Niarok can handle him.

Leytera sat down, but didn’t say anything for a few minutes. Then, “What happened back there?” she asked. “I was too busy getting glared at by Yila.”

Quin glanced at Yila. Of course you were.

“I’m not very sure,” he started. “Qatar slipped off; I didn’t think that was a good idea, so I followed him, but it was dark and I couldn’t see. It was tricky going, and then I guess I fell. I woke up with someone setting me down on the ground next to Qatar, but he was wet already.”

And everything hurt, just like that day.  He shifted a little, feeling his hurt ribs. It’ll be stiff tomorrow. Or for several tomorrows.  

“I—I guess it was a stupid thing to do, trying to follow him like that. I should know by now that I can’t keep up with him.” He gazed off, past the fire at the place where Qatar and Niarok were.

Just then [because I don’t want to add what Leytera answers; go for it if you want to, Denali] a thin, desperate voice floated over the snow-covered cave.

“Hello—is anyone there?”

Quin looked toward the voice, but what he saw made his stomach flop. A man, staggering with weakness, his face almost as white as the snow, one of his legs covered in blood.

Which leg is it? WHICH LEG?

Quin leaped up without even grabbing his crutch. His heart thundered in his chest and ears. He clutched at Leytera’s shoulder, trying to steady himself. Nightmares stabbed through his mind, and his left leg started to throb again.

No, no, no.

Then Leytera’s hand was on his arm, urging him to sit down. He sank back down, half falling over with his bad balance.

Leytera’s big eyes searched his face, looking for an explanation.

“Flashbacks.” He grunted. “Of when It happened.”

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@denali-christianson change whatever. 🙂

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

HELLO!! This is Wingiby here, and WELCOME! Your character sounds epic, and I love your description of his hair (it just really stuck with me)!

(Hello! I’m glad to be welcomed in such a warm fashion Your username is awesome!)
    (And thank you! 🤗)
    (Haha, if Rúan ever hears he got complimented on his hair …. XD)

A pit formed in Rúan’s stomach as he watched Niarok make his way across the cave to someone else. Maybe he should not have snapped at the man who had possibly just saved his life, but apologizing just seemed like a bad idea at the moment.

Plus … Niarok unsettled him, with that warm, intuitive gaze that seemed to reach for the depths of his soul. He didn’t like it. Made him feel … exposed.

The conversation between Niarok and the other young man, from as much as Rúan could pick up from the opposite side of the cave, was imbalanced, with Niarok supplying the majority of the words spoken between them.

Rúan stared down into his flask, brooding over the attack that had nearly maimed him.

If I had only been faster …

Maybe his mother would not have been dragged off. Maybe Yulenna would not have suffered the wound in her side that would surely scar.

Maybe Rúan wouldn’t have let Osløn get a stab at his leg …

The fingers gripping the flask curled inward as his hands began to shake with fury. The water inside quivered and sloshed with the tremors.

A small fwoom sounded right next to his ears and, with a groan of embarrassment, he realized his hair had caught fire. In front of others.

One of the females, a girl with black hair and red streaks, noticed as he tried to smother the orange flames with his hands, and she continued to stare, dumbfounded, as his extinguished hair began emitting after-smoke.

Rúan caught her looking, and he immediately turned to stare at the ground in front of him, trying not to let any of his embarrassment show.

He needed to look strong. He needed to look dangerous.

It was how he kept his enemies away and his comrades close.

It was how he could tell who he could trust, especially here amongst strangers.

I am broken. I am bleeding .... But I am beautiful.

Neasa
    @irishcelticredflowercrown

@rose-colored-fancy

Loll I dread and hunger to see that bully Liorah destroy his ego again XD

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

I agree with your less evil plan to instate the evil plan later. XD

And oh my. I’ve never met Liorah, but she sounds… terrifying. It might be really interesting to see how Niarok reacts to her, though, so if you ever bring her in again… XD

Yila

Yila stared deep into the flames of the fire. Why was it that she only cried on Niarok’s shoulder when there were other people around?

Why couldn’t she just be strong in front of them and weak when no one but her brother could see?

He was the only person she trusted anyway, mostly because he was the only one who could understand.

And even he hadn’t seen her admission of guilt coming, even with his discernment that had gotten her out of about three hundred and thirty seven or so messes.

At least he knew now.

She could see that time coming when they’d have a deep discussion about it when no one else was around. She couldn’t decide if she was excited about it, or dreading it.

At least Niarok had a wound to heal.

She glanced over her shoulder as the man with the blinding red hair gritted his teeth while Niarok packed his bleeding wound.

Maybe the castle would heal him fast enough for Niarok not to have to fight the man into a stitch-fest.

That had to be his least favorite job, even if it was on his sister who pretty much let him do anything to her.

She’d seen the pain in his eyes whenever he had to…

She stopped that thought. Needles made her squeamish.

Not swords. Not other weapons that could easily kill her without a second thought.

But needles? Nope.

Yila shook herself back to the present. She didn’t trust herself to get lost in her thoughts. It inevitably led to flashbacks, which inevitably led to guilt and anger, which inevitably led to embarrassment and weakness that she didn’t care if Niarok saw but cared a lot if anyone else saw.

There were a lot of anyone else’s present right now.

Yila turned back to the fire, staring into the mesmerizing dancing flames. She knew a couple people who could harness flames with their eyes. Side-effects of telekinesis. She’d always thought that was a cool power.

But then again, sharp hearing was a pretty cool power too.

Fwoom!

Yila spun around, her hand automatically gripping her smallest throwing knife.

The man’s hair was… on fire?

Burning.

With flames.

And he was trying to extinguish it with his hands.

Yila almost yelled at him to ask why on earth he would let his hair catch fire just like that, but he didn’t look at all concerned. Just really really embarrassed.

The flames were out in a few moments, and the man caught Yila’s gaze. His cheeks turned slightly red, and he glared at the floor like he could catch it on fire too.

He looked so childish, pouting about his embarrassment that way.

But then again, most people did that.

Yila had learned the hard way that embarrassment was just a part of life. You move on.

She rolled her eyes and turned back to the fire, removing a knife and sharpening it.

Her fingers moved nimbly with the iron slab, fashioning a deadly razor out of the edge of the blade.

Her hands, which had been nearly purple with the cold, were warm and only slightly reddened.

She looked toward the entrance of the cave and noticed that it had stopped snowing.

And the entrance had turned from a hole into a tunnel.

It receded into blackness, and the temperature in the air was rising rapidly.

There was a metallic grumble, and Yila’s insides curled.

“Well, well. I must say you did a pretty good job on that challenge. I’m really getting sick of the doctor being so nice. Maybe I ought to remove him from the picture,” the castle boomed.

Niarok stared up at the ceiling, and Yila’s lips curled.

“You would severely regret taking my brother from me.”

It took Yila a moment to realize she’d spoken the words, and that she was standing with her knife bared.

The castle laughed. “You tempt me, weasel, to try. However, I do think I’ll enjoy his reaction to my next challenge.”

Then there was silence.

Nothing happened.

And everyone in the cave slowly relaxed.

It appeared Lord Castle was waiting a little while before he tortured them again.

@everyone

Thought I’d take the initiative and save everyone from hypothermia… XD

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

I agree with your less evil plan to instate the evil plan later. XD

It’s inevitable 😈

And oh my. I’ve never met Liorah, but she sounds… terrifying. It might be really interesting to see how Niarok reacts to her, though, so if you ever bring her in again… XD

LOL, the funny thing is that she isn’t actually terrifying XD She’s a sappy sweetheart who adopts everyone she sets eyes on, she just refuses to show it. Actually, she’s terrifying too, she just goes back and forth between the two depending on the person. She exists in extremes XD

She’d adopt Leytara and especially Quin upon eye contact. She and Niarok would get on brilliantly, she’d really like him. She and Aydin are in a precarious frenemy balance. She and Qatar would probably clash. She and Misu get along amazing, they really like each other but Liorah’s low-key terrified of him. Basil would annoy the heck out of her and it would totally be mutual XD

She and Yila would either murder each other or unite in chaos and terrorize everyone else. I’m leaning toward the former, depending on how Yila treats her. Liorah holds grudges like you wouldn’t believe. Lorcan was rude to her once and she made his life a nightmare relentlessly forever after. XD

Loll I dread and hunger to see that bully Liorah destroy his ego again XD

’twas beautiful, truly enthralling, I miss it XD Just the sheer chaos of Liorah, who is surpassed by Lorcan in every way, just bullying him constantly, relentlessly, and pettily, was hysterical. XD His annoyance fueled her, that little brat.

LOLLL, I’m imagining an aged-up-to-book-3 Liorah stomping into the Castle, looking surprised and taking in everyone, fixing on Lorcan and just going “You’re the idiot I saw in a dream when I was sixteen and I haven’t forgotten or forgiven.” XD

And I’m delighted to inform everyone that that is my main character. It’s… never boring. Gosh, she’s the best and the worst.

And now I’ll finally write Aydin.

• This reply was modified 1 month, 3 weeks ago by Rose.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Aydin

Stupid, coward, how could I have let that happen? How could I have just ruined everything like that, everyone knew, everyone was staring, either pitying or despising, I had no idea which was worse.

I kept my head down, tried to force back tears and panic and a thousand feelings I wasn’t ready for. I couldn’t show it, it was too dangerous to show it.

I needed to get myself under control, or at least I needed to break down somewhere more private. I hurried away from Niarok, away from Chet who was staring at me with a combination of shock, guilt and pity that I despised almost as much as myself.

Maybe someone was talking but everything sounded distant and scrambled, like a language I couldn’t understand.

I was running from my problems again. What else could I do? I couldn’t stay there, it would get worse, they would see, they would know. I couldn’t let them know.

I was always running. I had spent my life running, betraying, trying so desperately to get away, and getting myself in worse places in the process.

There was an alcove at the back of the cave, cloaked in the shadows, far from the driving snow. I sank down. Nobody could see me but I could still keep an eye on everyone else. I needed to, it was the only way I didn’t feel like someone was sneaking up on me.

I tried to forget the memories the smell of alcohol on Chet’s clothes had dredged up.

I had made decisions every one of those times. The first time, to leave my father at the first possible opportunity, no matter the cost. The second time, to leave the Siya, no matter the cost. The third time, the cost had caught up to me, seemingly all at once. It always did, with added interest.

Why was I still alive? I had seen others die. So often, too often. I had seen so many better than I die for no particular reason except irony, or cruelty. Perhaps both. Others deserved to live so much more than I did, I had deserved death a hundred times over.

(Author’s note: Wait till he hears about this wild concept called grace XD)

I needed to think of something else. I tried to focus on anything else. Yila was leaning against Niarok again. She looked so vulnerable, so tired, for the first time, and Niarok was there to comfort her.

How many of the people I’d helped kill had siblings they loved? 

I dragged my memory back before the guilt got worse. Would this ever pass? Would it ever get better? What was I supposed to do with my life now? I had ruined everything so many times over. There was nothing left to break, only ashes.

Anything else.

For some unimaginable reason, the first thing my mind fixed on was a recent memory. Liorah, singing to her mare in her horrifyingly bad voice. She had done it purely to annoy me and she had succeeded. It was such a ridiculous memory.

I relaxed, just the slightest bit. She had told me the horses were tense and they would spook and I’d fall again. I had replied something along the lines of ‘of course she’s nervous, she has to listen to your voice.’

That had set Faye laughing and trying to whistle a different tune through Liorah’s, who was nowhere near a melody. It had been the worst ruckous I had ever been cursed with and it had ended with all of us doubled up in laughter. I couldn’t remember the last time I’d laughed that much.

My breathing had slowed back to normal and my heartbeat was less frantic. It was easier to think clearly.

Someone new was here. His hair was as red as the blood gushing from his leg. I was halfway on my feet as soon as I saw him, but Niarok was there first and I relaxed again. Niarok was better at that than I would ever be. I didn’t have the courage for it.

Niarok was always helping everyone. It took a lot of kindness to manage that, especially when you were uncomfortable and scared yourself. I wished I could.

Niarok finished bandaging the man’s leg and sat back. For the first time, I noticed the slump to his shoulders, the exhaustion in the slowness of his movements.

Sudden guilt overwhelmed me. He was exhausted and I had been draining his energy more than anyone else. I hated being a burden. I was one, more than I had ever been.

I needed to do something back. I needed to help. I got up, grateful that my legs weren’t shaking anymore. I still felt the lingering effects of the flashbacks, the awful memories lingering, waiting for an opportunity to come back.

Getting up was still hard, I was exhausted too and stiff with cold.

I barely smothered a smile as I realized that the man’s hair had accidentally caught on fire. It wouldn’t have been amusing except that he had already put it out and only looked embarassed. I was going to pretend I hadn’t seen that just as I hoped everyone else would pretend I hadn’t just panicked at apparently nothing.

I wrapped my cloak close around me and my hood up, trying not to die from the cold. This was horrid and awful. After this one experience with snow and cold weather, I had already decided I wanted nothing of it.

As I watched, the entrance of the cave morphed and changed from a gaping hole into another tunnel. I recoiled before I could stop myself, then quickly glanced at the others to see if they had any reaction. They looked every variation of shocked. Good, so it wasn’t just me.

The temprature was going up and I breathed a sigh of relief. I was sick of seeing my breath in clouds and feeling myself freeze to death slowly.

There was a clack and a rumble and I sensed trouble coming. I backed against one of the walls, trying to guess where the noise was coming from. There was no doubt that this was real, everyone else was reacting in similar ways.

“Well, well. I must say you did a pretty good job on that challenge. I’m really getting sick of the doctor being so nice. Maybe I ought to remove him from the picture,” the walls seemed to boom.

I started with fright, trying to disappear. Who was that? Who had been watching us? What was this? Was this real?

“You would severely regret taking my brother from me.” Yila said. She’d been sharpening her knife and stood with it bared.

I didn’t want to get on her wrong side, ever. Whoever this was had better watch out. Please, not Niarok. We needed him. I would never forgive myself if something happened to him.

The voice laughed, a horrible grainy laugh.

“You tempt me, weasel, to try. However, I do think I’ll enjoy his reaction to my next challenge.”

And then it crackled off. Silence. Dreading silence.

The temperature was bearable again. We had a while before the next disaster. We needed to use it.

I hurried over to Niarok, who looked extremely tired, worried, and resigned in equal measures.

“I’m sorry for what happened, I didn’t expect it. I can stop it sometimes but it just–” I said, raking my hand through my hair and avoiding his patient blue eyes.

“I understand,” Niarok said. I glanced up and I got the idea he did. I had no idea what he had done or where he had been before this, but it couldn’t have been easy.

“Thanks, for everything,” I said, quietly. I looked up again, determined this time.

“You need to take a break.”

Niarok instantly protested.

“I need to watch Rúan’s leg, if it bleeds too much–”

“It needs stitches. I know. I’ve been through this a few times. I’ll make sure nothing goes wrong,” I said.

“You’re not a healer, I need to–”

“I know enough. You don’t need to do anything except sleep. You aren’t responsible for us,” I said. I wasn’t giving up on this.

He had one last protest.

“But what if something goes wrong while I’m asleep–”

“I’m not going to sleep, I’ll wake you if I even suspect that something will go wrong,” I said.

I had finally out-argued Niarok and he relented with a sigh.

“Fine.”

I sat down near Rúan, but not close. I shook back my hood. The snow was melting quickly and it was far warmer. I was slowly warming up again.

“Last time I got stitches we didn’t have suture thread, anaesthetic, or a healer. Embroidery thread and someone who definitely isn’t a healer yet aren’t great substitutes. I survived that, you’ll be fine,” I said, as a matter of introduction.

(Author’s note: This is canon. This actually happened. It was chaos.)

His eyes widened in horror and I looked away. That might not have been the best way to introduce myself.

“I’m Aydin, by the way,” I said, quietly.

____

I’m sorry that got so long, y’all! I actually back-tracked quite a bit. He normally wouldn’t get over a flashback that quickly, but I wrote myself into a corner.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

’twas beautiful, truly enthralling, I miss it XD Just the sheer chaos of Liorah, who is surpassed by Lorcan in every way, just bullying him constantly, relentlessly, and pettily, was hysterical. XD His annoyance fueled her, that little brat. LOLLL, I’m imagining an aged-up-to-book-3 Liorah stomping into the Castle, looking surprised and taking in everyone, fixing on Lorcan and just going “You’re the idiot I saw in a dream when I was sixteen and I haven’t forgotten or forgiven.” XD And I’m delighted to inform everyone that that is my main character. It’s… never boring. Gosh, she’s the best and the worst.

LOL I’d pay for that!!!

Loving everybody’s posts btw <3

*Also, salutations from your friendly stalker 😉 🐰*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

LOL I’d pay for that!!!

I’m this close to briefly dropping her in just to see the chaos XD

Loving everybody’s posts btw <3

*Also, salutations from your friendly stalker    *

LOL, you just can’t miss drama XD Always happy to have you, Cathy!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

Oh, goodness, Liorah would pick up on the Lorcan/Yila chemistry so fast XD She’d probably look Yila dead in the eye and say “Honey… you can do better than that.” XD I keep coming up with all the wild things Liorah would do and it keeps getting better XD

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@rose-colored-fancy

LOL, the funny thing is that she isn’t actually terrifying XD She’s a sappy sweetheart who adopts everyone she sets eyes on, she just refuses to show it. Actually, she’s terrifying too, she just goes back and forth between the two depending on the person. She exists in extremes XD

That’s amazing I love it! Whereas Yila is the exact opposite. She’s all terrifying and extreme flatness and I can’t decide whether I love her or hate or or both… I WANT TO MEET THIS LIORAH SOOOOO BAD!!!!!! I mean, I exist in extremes as well, so I can definitely understand where she’s coming from…

Niarok finished bandaging the man’s leg and sat back. For the first time, I noticed the slump to his shoulders, the exhaustion in the slowness of his movements.

I. Just. Melted. AYDEN IS SOOOO SWEET AND I LOVE HIM!!!!! The fact that he even noticed, considering how good Niarok is at hiding his exhaustion, is testament to how much he actually cares underneath and I LOVE HIM!!!!! XD

Niarok

Niarok paced along the wall, preparing to speak with Ayden and hoping he wouldn’t drive him away, when suddenly he felt something behind him displace the air.

He spun around, a hand on the hilt of his sword. Chet and his animal had disappeared, and the entrance to the cave was in the act of morphing into a tunnel.

This just got weirder and weirder. Although, as a positive, the temperature was rapidly ascending to a bearable level.

Exhaustion swept over Niarok as his body relaxed from the tension of shivering.

He couldn’t remember the last time he had actually, truly slept for a good length of time.

He took a moment to seriously consider crashing. He knew he was no use if he was falling asleep on his feet.

But then there was a frustrated grumbling noise and a metallic voice sent a shiver up his spine.

“Well, well. I must say you did a pretty good job on that challenge. I’m really getting sick of the doctor being so nice. Maybe I ought to remove him from the picture.” It was like the very walls were speaking.

Niarok’s grip tightened on his sword and he drew it halfway out. Yila leapt to her feet, her knife bared.

“You would severely regret taking my brother from me,” she snapped.

Niarok would’ve smiled if he hadn’t been about to get… what? Taken? Killed?

The castle cackled, and it was very well one of the worst noises Niarok had ever heard. Yes, there were no shortage of terrible sounds in the assassination business, but this one was something different.

“You tempt me, weasel, to try. However, I do think I’ll enjoy his reaction to my next challenge.”

Then there was silence.

Niarok stood tensed for a couple moments. He and Yila made eye contact across the still-burning fire, and both relaxed of one accord. The castle was giving them time.

If the castle tried to take him away, he wasn’t going without a fight, but he wasn’t sure he could do anything against an inanimate object with such a morbid sense of humor.

Ayden appeared beside him, his face a display of worry, pity, and embarrassment all conglomerated into a painful concoction of misery.

Niarok felt for him.

“I’m sorry for what happened, I didn’t expect it. I can stop it sometimes but it just–” Ayden said, raking his hand through his hair. His eyes roved the room, avoiding Niarok’s gaze.

His pain reminded Niarok of so many similar times it had happened to him. “I understand,” he said, trying to communicate that he truly, actually did. Ayden met his eyes, and he seemed to catch the message.

“Thanks, for everything,” Ayden said quietly, glancing down.

Niarok sensed he wasn’t done yet. When he looked up, his eyes were resolute. “You need to take a break,” he said.

Niarok’s eyes widened slightly, wondering how much he’d really been showing. The fact that Ayden could tell meant he was either far more intuitive than he let on, or Niarok was spilling his emotions everywhere.

“I need to watch Rúan’s leg, if it bleeds too much–”

“It needs stitches. I know. I’ve been through this a few times. I’ll make sure nothing goes wrong,” Ayden interrupted, and Niarok immediately knew he was not backing down until Niarok relented.

“You’re not a healer, I need to–” he started to protest.

“I know enough. You don’t need to do anything except sleep. You aren’t responsible for us,” Ayden cut in. Niarok couldn’t help smiling slightly.

You should see me if I was responsible for you…

But responsible or not, he still cared about these people. A lot.

“But what if something goes wrong while I’m asleep–” he tried to say.

“I’m not going to sleep. I’ll wake you if I even suspect that something will go wrong,” Ayden interrupted again, and Niarok sighed.

The man was stubborn.

But more than that, he was right. And Niarok admired him for caring enough to force him into submission.

“Fine,” he muttered.

Ayden looked almost relieved that he had relented. Niarok smiled.

“Thank you,” he said quietly, clapping Ayden on the shoulder before walking back to where Yila stood.

His sister looked at him, her icy eyes rimmed with fear.

“If the castle takes you, what do I do?” she whispered.

Niarok looked her in the eye. Even if she didn’t believe it herself, she cared, and Niarok admired that trait.

“You keep going, for the both of us,” he said, resting his hands on her shoulders.

She glared at him. “Don’t you get taken,” she snapped, and Niarok shook his head.

“Not by my choice, Yila.”

She sighed and turned towards the fire, drawing a knife and examining the blade. Her fear was almost tangible, and Niarok wanted to promise her he wouldn’t be taken.

He couldn’t.

And she was going to kill him if he was and he returned.

He shook his head.

“I’m sleeping. If something happens and Ayden is occupied, wake me,” he said, and Yila nodded, her eyes focused on some far away memory.

Niarok laid down on the hard, smooth cave floor and wrapped his blanket around him.

He was drifting in seconds, but through the fog he could hear Ayden telling Ruan some sort of horror story about stitches.

He could almost imagine the look of horror on Ruan’s face.

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@denali-christianson

That’s amazing I love it! Whereas Yila is the exact opposite. She’s all terrifying and extreme flatness and I can’t decide whether I love her or hate or or both… I WANT TO MEET THIS LIORAH SOOOOO BAD!!!!!! I mean, I exist in extremes as well, so I can definitely understand where she’s coming from…

LOL, Liorah has no chill XD I hope to drop her in (briefly) after the moral compass test. (because Liorah totally would fail at that, she’d just try to murder the castle instead)

It’s purely just for fun because I miss writing my baby 😭 I’m inbetween projects right now and she haunts me like the vengeful brat she is.

I can’t wait to see what you think of her!

I. Just. Melted. AYDEN IS SOOOO SWEET AND I LOVE HIM!!!!! The fact that he even noticed, considering how good Niarok is at hiding his exhaustion, is testament to how much he actually cares underneath and I LOVE HIM!!!!! XD

I’M SO GLAD SOMEONE ELSE LIKES HIM TOO!!! He’s my sweetest ex-assassin, he cares so much more than any of the other characters. And he notices everything. I have two characters who always notice and always know, Aydin and Faye.

I absolutely love how he’s responding to someone actually kind of caring about him. It’s… kinda the first time that’s happened XD It’s so adorable, I love how quickly they became friends!

LOL, both my mom and brother who have read the first two manuscripts kind of despise him XD (they were both from Liorah’s perspective and she hated him with a seething fury so it’s only natural XD)

But I’m constantly like “No. That’s my favorite. I love him the most. He deserves to be happy.” (Liorah is probably my other favorite character, they’re tied XD)

LOL, funny story, I took the MBTI test for him a long time ago (back during book 1, I think) and he was an ESTJ, now I took it again and it’s ISFJ XD That’s… a big difference XD

@mamaauthoress

I just remembered something, I don’t know if you have notifications on, that makes it easier to keep up with the castles 🙂 Otherwise it can be a lot to keep track of.

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@mamaauthoress

I just remembered something, I don’t know if you have notifications on, that makes it easier to keep up with the castles 🙂 Otherwise it can be a lot to keep track of.

Ohh … that’s why I’m never getting any notifications from this … how do you turn them on?

____

(Continuing)

The young man that Niarok had been conversing with sat down a few feet away.

Rúan looked up as he flung off his hood.

“Last time I got stitches we didn’t have suture thread, anaesthetic, or a healer. Embroidery thread and someone who definitely isn’t a healer yet aren’t great substitutes. I survived that, you’ll be fine,” he said, as though this was a perfectly normal way to strike up conversation.

Rúan tilted his head at the man and gave him a slightly horrified look.

“I’m Aydin, by the way,” he added.

Rúan’s eyebrows slowly raised. “I’m … Rúan.” He examined Aydin from head to toe. “What clan are you from?”

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@mamaauthoress

Ohh … that’s why I’m never getting any notifications from this … how do you turn them on?

Right beneath the box where you’re typing, on the far left, there’s a little check box that says “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” You can check that to read all the posts in your email, or if you don’t want the emails flooding your inbox, you can go to the far top of the page, in the right corner, (above where you go to previous pages) there is a button that says “Subscribe” and then you’ll get notifications but not emails.

It took me a while to figure that out XD

Laura K. Abeid
    @mamaauthoress

@rose-colored-fancy

Right beneath the box where you’re typing, on the far left, there’s a little check box that says “Notify me of follow-up replies via email” You can check that to read all the posts in your email, or if you don’t want the emails flooding your inbox, you can go to the far top of the page, in the right corner, (above where you go to previous pages) there is a button that says “Subscribe” and then you’ll get notifications but not emails.

It took me a while to figure that out XD

Okay, thank you!

Viewing 15 posts - 1,501 through 1,515 (of 1,832 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest