-
Serenity replied to the topic Word War #3 winner (and word war #4)! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 10 months ago
how’s about this: lets do another sprint tomorrow at 2pm PST. Then the whole guild can get in on it and we can really pump out some inspiration!?
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @katherineh @faith_blum @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smit…[Read more]
-
Serenity replied to the topic Word War #3 winner (and word war #4)! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 10 months ago
I have about two hours today, @kay! Y a wanna do it?
anyone else interested in a word sprint?
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @katherineh @faith_blum @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @kay @storyseeker @h-jones…[Read more]
-
Serenity replied to the topic Word War #3 winner (and word war #4)! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 10 months ago
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @katherineh @faith_blum @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @kay @storyseeker @h-jones @storyjoy @bookcrazygirl @child-of-god
how’s everybody doing? only a couple days left, so lets…[Read more]
-
Faith Blum started the topic Weekly Goals #26 in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 10 months ago
How did your goals go last week? What are they for this week?
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @child-of-god @katherineh @serenity @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @kay @storyseeker @h-jones @storyjoy @bookcr…
-
Faith Blum started the topic Topic #24: Introducing Settings and stakes in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 10 months ago
To be honest with you, this is one area I have been extremely weak in. I’ve always had a hard time describing settings. I write historical fiction, so that’s part of it because I have to try to figure out what the setting even looks like. So I usually do the lazy thing and don’t describe it at all. Then I read Structuring Your Novel by K.M. Weila…[Read more]
-
Serenity replied to the topic Word War #3 winner (and word war #4)! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 10 months ago
alright everybody! @faith_blum @fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @katherineh @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @kay @storyseeker @h-jones @storyjoy @bookcrazygirl @child-of-god
lets not forget how awesome this…[Read more]
-
bookcrazygirl started the topic Editing help in the forum Critiques 7 years, 10 months ago
Hi, Guys! So I am helping a friend of mine edit a short story. But the problem is, I don’t really know how to help edit. I mean, I think I know the basics, but I don’t want to critique too much. Any tips?
-Kylie
@faith_blum @fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle [Read more]
-
Faith Blum started the topic Topic #23: Introducing Characters in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 10 months ago
Character introductions are very important in a book. What kinds of things do we need to remember when we are working on the beginning of our WIPs? K.M. Weiland has a few in her book, Structuring Your Novel that I’m going to share with you today.
- Compile all necessary components of your story in the first act. Anything that is mentioned later…
-
Faith Blum started the topic Topic #22: Beginning Chapters in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 11 months ago
For those doing NaNoWriMo, this could be helpful for you. And even for those who aren’t.
There are a few things you need to make sure you have in your first few chapters. I’ll go into a little more detail on some of them in subsequent weeks, but for now I’ll just go into a couple of quick things you want should include.
- Plant an irresistible…
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Weekly Goals #24 in the forum Accountability & Achievements 7 years, 11 months ago
-
Faith Blum started the topic Word War #3 winner (and word war #4)! in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
The numbers are in! We came in last, but next month we shall prevail! FYI, there is no prompt war for November, BUT instead we are doing a month-long word war! So keep track of those word counts every day this month!
Avensbeck – 26627
Erekdale – 47230
Rillumen – 48371
New Wessex – 51082
Meraki- 53253
Parimi Alfa – 72127
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Word War #3 in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
The numbers are in! We came in last, but next month we shall prevail! FYI, there is no prompt war for November, BUT instead we are doing a month-long word war! So keep track of those word counts every day this month!
Avensbeck – 26627
Erekdale – 47230
Rillumen – 48371
New Wessex – 51082
Meraki- 53253
Parimi Alfa – 72127
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Word War #3 in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
False alert. We actually have until tomorrow to report. So keep those word counts coming! Remember, only count fiction words written from Wednesday-Tuesday.
@martina @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @storyseeker @bookcrazygirl
-
Serenity replied to the topic NaNoWriMo 2018 in the forum Avensbeck Writing Discussions 7 years, 11 months ago
Me too! I am a newbie this year, so if anyone (@faith_blum, @jenwriter17, @christianna-hellwig) has any tips for navigating the site, they would be more than welcome!
and @christianna-hellwig and @jenwriter17, I am so excited for you! it takes a lot more gut to do it a second time than it does a first. Way to go!
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Word War #3 in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
I have started organizing the word counts. Let me know if I have anything wrong or if you have any corrections, let me know and I’ll get them added.
@kay 1,748 words
@h-jones 1,096
@brookewolf 8,769
@millennium-m 1,879
@katherineh 5,136
@serenity 427
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @nata…[Read more]
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Word War #3 in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
Today’s words count until 11:59 pm! Be sure to post your final word counts in here tonight or tomorrow so I can get our total to Daeus.
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @child-of-god @katherineh @serenity @brookewolf @millennium-m @miria…[Read more]
-
Faith Blum started the topic Topic #21: First Dramatic Event in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 11 months ago
Avensers Assemble!
This lesson is going to be a quick one because I don’t have a lot of time today, but I also don’t think it needs a ton of explanation.
Open with the first dramatic event
Finding this event will help you figure out the first domino in your story’s line of dominoes that just keep getting knocked down until the last one at the…[Read more]
-
Faith Blum replied to the topic Word War #3 in the forum Announcements 7 years, 11 months ago
Keep up the good work! You have until Tuesday (tomorrow) to get those words going!
@fawxofthecomics @martina @dragongeek @sleepwalkingmk @sam-kowal @christianna-hellwig @natalie-marie @gabrielle @jenwriter17 @law0413 @libby @child-of-god @katherineh @serenity @brookewolf @millennium-m @miriam-smith @anna_b_cole @dekreel @kay @storyseeker @h-jones…[Read more]
-
Martina replied to the topic NaNoWriMo 2018 in the forum Avensbeck Writing Discussions 7 years, 11 months ago
@christianna-hellwig Same. I’ve been beaten pretty badly by NaNoWriMo for three years now (very long sigh), but I’ve found that no matter if I win or not, it gives me a little push on whatever WiP I’m working on at the time. And I finished my first complete novel in last year’s NaNo (I cheated a bit and started with a 15000 word half-finished…[Read more]
-
Serenity replied to the topic My characters don't listen to me in the forum Characters 7 years, 11 months ago
Well, I have a couple ideas, and a couple questions, for that… seeing as im only 16 myself, they might not be useful, but I’ll give it a shot.
So, do you plan your story and characters first and then start writing, or do you write and learn who the character is as you go?
If the former more fits you, I might think about how they relate to…[Read more]
- Load More












