fb

Fantasy Writers

Wingfeather Saga Fanfic, not related to Wingfeather Saga 5th Book.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

@arindown

I have one word.

W-O-W!

"Bha e fhathast. Agus bha e air a ghràdh." -Am Maor agus an Rìgh Wolf

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@kylie-wingfeather,

Excellent work! I once planned out a Wingfeather fan-fic, but long story short it never got written. *blinks back tears*

One thing I might suggest would be to have more information from Janner’s POV. Talk about his thoughts more. Have him judge Aaliyah (COOL name!), even if his ideas aren’t true. Some more stuff about him will help readers keep in mind that he’s the POV they are experiencing right now. When I read chapter 2, I kept discovering that I had to remind myself constantly that this was JANNER’s POV, not Aaliyah’s. 🙂

Also, there’s a couple typos. I wasn’t sure if those were accidental or not, so I won’t point them out. 😉 Excellent work!

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

@joelle-stone

Thanks! And yes, I will keep that in mind. What were the typos?

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@kylie-wingfeather,

Chapter 1 Typos:

• “not been easy to catch up.” Might sound better as “not been easy to catch up with,” even though prepositions aren’t technically supposed to end sentences (I think). Maybe a rewording would help?
    • “I heard laughter, and voices.” Might be better without the comma: “I heard laughter and voices”, or “I heard voices and laughter.”
    •  “In my sleeves, in my quiver, attached to my bow; they were very useful. I could hear them getting closer, so, like a squirrel, I skittered up the nearest tree.” You should probably start a new paragraph with “I could hear”. I’m not a grammar expert, though; I could very easily be wrong on most of these suggestions. 🙂
    • “(well, maybe exaggerating a little.) No period. 😉

Chapter 2 Typos:

• “She held it in front of her, and spoke.’What business have you in the Blackwood?'” I think it should be, “She held it in front of her, and spoke. ‘What business have you in the Blackwood?'” I really love that sentence, BTW. It shows Aaliyah as a suspicious/maybe a bit headstrong character. 😉 There are a couple other instances when the words are a paragraph away from when you said someone said them, as well. 🙂
    • “Janner found myself surprised by her voice.” Since you are writing from Janner’s POV, “Janner found himself surprised by her voice.”
    • “She tucked a lock of her straight brown hair behind one ear and looked at her feet.”” An extra ” after the sentence. 😉
    • ” ‘What might be your name?’ ” Might make more sense as ” ‘What might be your names?’ ” (BTW, she talks with a slight Maraly-twinge; I love it!)
    • “As they ate, Aaliyah talked to them little.” Do you mean “As they ate, Aaliyah talked to them a little” or “As they ate, Aaliyah talked little”? I was a little confused here.

Also, I have to say that you got Oskar’s voice PERFECT. I can TOTALLY imagine him saying that. XD And don’t worry about the cliff-hanger; it’s how all good chapters end (no matter how INSANE it drives the reader, lol.) Speaking of which, though, are you going to post another chapter?

So sorry about all the random stuff I noticed. XD Most of those probably don’t even count as typos. All in all, though, it looks really good! I want to read more!

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@kylie-wingfeather @joelle-stone

Thanks guys! I used ArtBreeder to create the characters. It’s a lot of fun, but I’d be careful…some of the images aren’t so wonderful, depending where you click.😄

Not all who wander are lost.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Whoops, since I can’t make edits that didn’t show a lot of stuff. In the first edit for Chapter 2, it’s supposed to look like this:

• “She held it in front of her, and spoke.

‘What business have you in the Blackwood?’” I think it should be, “She held it in front of her, and spoke. ‘What business have you in the Blackwood?’” I really love that sentence, BTW. It shows Aaliyah as a suspicious/maybe a bit headstrong character.   There are a couple other instances when the words are a paragraph away from when you said someone said them, as well.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@arindown,

Cool! Is that a free app/program? Can you get it on PC, do you know?

Arindown (Gracie)
    @arindown

@joelle-stone

I just found it on the internet. You don’t even have to download it or anything. Just sign in and start designing.

If you use it, I’d love to see what you did.😊 You could finish off the Wingfeather crew.

Not all who wander are lost.

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

@joelle-stone

Yeah, the last one I meant that as they ate, Aaliyah didn’t talk to them a lot. I’m trying to make her seem capable and slightly suspicious of newcomers. And yeah, I’m trying to get ready to write a new chapter. Chapter 1 was already written and chapter 2 was almost finished when I decided to post it on here. And No.2 of Ch.2, hehe. I started with Janner’s PoV being in first person, but then I realized I’m horrible at writing any characters other than my own in 1st person. I guess I missed that one when I was changing it to 3rd person. Thanks for putting those up there. I’ll try to crank out ch.3 soon.

~Kylie

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

Chapter 3.

Aaliyah’s PoV

The Wingfeathers froze when I said “Fangs.” I didn’t blame them. I hadn’t mingled with fangs much, as they, like everyone else it seems, were terrified of the Blackwood. My time was mostly taken up with the wild animals that roamed here. I motioned for them to be quiet, closed my eyes, and listened. I could hear voices, though to soft for me to make out the words. I could also hear the sound of crunching twigs. I reopened my eyes and looked at the Wingfeathers, Sara Cobbler, and Mr. Reteep, who were waiting with baited breath.

“They’re close,” Aaliyah whispered. “We need to get out of here.”

She may have been suspicious of these people, but she had no qualms about getting them out of here.

“Come on,” she whispered, motioning to the trees. “Get over there.” She hurried quietly around the clearing, putting out the fire, and grabbing her belongings.

Artham paused and looked at her. “What about you?” He asked. Aaliyah tried to smile at him. “I’ll be fine.” He gave her a skeptical look.

“I can defend myself.” Aaliyah said to Artham. “Just go!”

With an even more skeptical look, he vanished into the trees, and Aaliyah stuffed the last thing into it’s place. Then she heard the fangs get closer and she scrambled up the nearest tree, praying under her breath that it wouldn’t collapse.

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

*That the branch wouldn’t collapse.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@kylie-wingfeather,

I like it! The suspense grows!

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@arindown

OH MY WORD THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL!!! That is amazing! Thx for tagging me!

If your dreams turn to dust... vacuum.
    ~Author Unknown

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

AALIYAH’S POV

As the fangs came into the clearing, I listened to what they were saying before I attacked.

“I say we give up.” A gray fang said in his gravelly voice. “We’re not going to find the girl. She snuck into the Deeps and killed 20 fangs and snuck out again. Who’s to say she won’t find us before we find her!”
    I knew the Wingfeathers were probably looking at me, but I wasn’t paying attention. I slid a throwing knife out of my sleeve and waited. When the fang was directly under me, I threw the knife. It hit the fang with a sickening thud and he crackled into dust. The other two fangs looked around, but I threw two more of my knives, then they too bust into dust. I clambered down the tree and grabbed my weapons, examining them for dents. The Wingfeathers came out of hiding, and I looked up. “Sneaking into the Deeps?” Janner said hoarsely. “Killing 20 fangs?” I sighed. “I hoped you wouldn’t find about that. And it wasn’t twenty fangs. It was fifteen.”

They looked at me, and I felt like I had when I lived in Clovenfast, like an oddity.

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

Ah. Sorry guys, about the short chapter. I wrote it on my mom’s phone, and it looked longer on there. Sorry!

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 44 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest