Fantasy Writers

Is anyone interested in collaborating on a story?

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@melodyjoy,

I love your ideas! And I think your brainstorming is very helpful. I haven’t come up with anything as of yet!! 😛 As for the separate doc, that’s a wonderful idea!

Maybe a spy for her country of Rushka. She’s spying on Sinoraus for the Rushkans. There’s a lot of border disputes and stuff, right? So maybe that’s why she’s there, and maybe she gets caught up in the Cullings one way or another. Maybe she and one of your characters can even be friends or something. *shrugs* It’s all up in the air.

Trilogy sounds good to me, but we’re really going to have to work on it. 🙂

"A writer's life consists of either writing their book or thinking about writing their book." ~?

Mel
      @melodyjoy

@joelle-stone

Yes! That’s a super great idea! I love it! Remember when I mentioned

The government of the country Sinoraus is very corrupt. (Tell me if you like the following idea). Somehow they have some sort of connection with one of the game builders (not a Judge, actual builder/planner), who also is corrupt. That game builder has agreed to pay Sinoraus’ government “big” money for game contestants, since in Sonoraus, the Cullings are not a highly respected thing. The game leaders really want Sinoraus’ contestants since Sinoraus is so military focused and they are good fighters. All this leads to the warrior camp in which Rikiar and Aleyda attend.

I just copied and pasted it…

So your character could be visiting that warrior camp or something and get kidnapped… **rubs hands together** Is that too weird of an idea? I think it would add a nice “plot twist” LOL

Lemme know what you think!

MELODY

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

winter_rose
        @winter_rose

@melodyjoy

Sorry if it was unclear!

I was referring to an earlier post. So far there are eight branches of the government, and each has a separate Culling. This might not work properly if we want out characters together though…

Also, to answer a few other questions, one of the three Judges and his/her supporters are controlling the game and trying to get certain people to win, so that’s our corruption.

Originally it was just The Culling, but I think I prefer the Cullings.

One more thing, the arena is transformable, so the corrupt Judge (who really needs a name at this point) tells the programmer to alter some of the courses so his chosen players/puppets can win.

Wingiby Iggiby
          @wingiby-iggiby

Sorry about the confusion! I meant that the bad-guys get impeded in some way, so they aren’t able to dispose of the losers of the Cullings — so then our guys go in and do a daring rescue (cue the heroic music)!

So, I just like thinking of names, if the bad-guy’s actually a guy (which I prefer, if that’s alright), then would Neromiro Drake work? Just brainstorming here. Conkex Rex. Or something more subtle? Andor Knox (what is up with me and “x” right now?). Rendel some-thing-or-other.

I don’t know. Do any of those work? I think I like Neromiro Drake (slipped in Nero there, ha ha).

I think the people going to participate in the Cullings would board a ship that came to each planet to pick up that plant/country’s contestants.

Each planet/country is different. Like I believe someone stated earlier, some are chosen, some volunteer. Some may be forced, some may join because they have nothing better to do, lol.

Should the bad-guy’s motive be one of revenge, take-over-the-world, just-plain-lunatic, or something else? I mean, he has to have a reason for whatever he’s doing. Wait, what is he doing again? My memory is failing me right now. I think I need to go charge it…

Perhaps the government should be one that’s supposed to look like there are a bunch of people all working together and in agreement, when in reality our villain is in control. Some may not know, or if they do know, not agree; and later they are disposed of.

As for the Cullings, I’m thinking a sort of gladiator type of thing. You have people wealthy enough to pay who come to view it. I know we wanted a planet, but what about a giant ship? It could accommodate the fluctuating games, and be blown up to destroy all on it if necessary. Games could be virtual, athletic, brain-teasing, and all.

As for my characters and planet and stuff, I’ve got it all in my mind but not on paper! Just gotta find the time and patience to type it all out…

Anyway, these are my thoughts. Hope I covered enough questions, lol. 😛

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Mel
            @melodyjoy

@winter_rose

So far there are eight branches of the government, and each has a separate Culling. This might not work properly if we want out characters together though…

Yeah. So I just read through all 8 pages. LOL (took me forever :)) I saw all those categories:

-military

-science

-technology

-diplomats

-judicial branch

-legislative branch

-medical branch

So are our characters competing for something in these categories? Do they get to join if they win?

Yeah and I do want all our characters together… Any ideas?

One of the three Judges and his/her supporters are controlling the game and trying to get certain people to win, so that’s our corruption.

Yes! I love that idea. I had that in mind too.

Originally it was just The Culling, but I think I prefer the Cullings.

Me too! Except when you type it Cullings has the red line underneath and Culling doesn’t… LOL

One more thing, the arena is transformable, so the corrupt Judge (who really needs a name at this point) tells the programmer to alter some of the courses so his chosen players/puppets can win.

Yes, the arena will definitely be transformable.

@wingiby-iggiby
              mentioned “I know we wanted a planet, but what about a giant ship? It could accommodate the fluctuating games, and be blown up to destroy all on it if necessary.” I think that’s a cool idea. Will need to be developed more obviously 🙂

Yes I had that idea too. (This is awesome). He kinda Is secretly controlling it for his own motives. 🙂

Mel
              @melodyjoy

@wingiby-iggiby

I meant that the bad-guys get impeded in some way, so they aren’t able to dispose of the losers of the Cullings — so then our guys go in and do a daring rescue

I understood that sentence for like a split second and then my brain crashed… Sorry. Plz help me! **sitting here laughing my head off**

Yes the bad guy will be a guy… Girl would be weird lol

So our bad guy name options, thanks to wingiby are:

1. Neromiro Drake
                2. Conkex Rex
                3. Andor Knox

I personally prefer 1 or 3. What do you guys think?

@winter_rose

@joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby

@writergirl101

@arindown

========================

@wingiby-iggiby
                (still going through your thing :))

I think the people going to participate in the Cullings would board a ship that came to each planet to pick up that plant/country’s contestants.

I thought we were doing a portal? I dunno. I am unbiased toward either thing. What do the rest of you think?

Each planet/country is different. Like I believe someone stated earlier, some are chosen, some volunteer. Some may be forced, some may join because they have nothing better to do.

Yes Love that Idea.

Should the bad-guy’s motive be one of revenge, take-over-the-world, just-plain-lunatic, or something else? I mean, he has to have a reason for whatever he’s doing. Wait, what is he doing again?

I think something else, but I dunno. Yeah he needs a reason. I can’t remember what he’s doing.

Help here guys? LOL

Perhaps the government should be one that’s supposed to look like there are a bunch of people all working together and in agreement, when in reality our villain is in control. Some may not know, or if they do know, not agree; and later they are disposed of.

Yes. Good idea

(Hope you don’t mind that I am block quoting everything. Just I want to make sure that when other people are reading my posts that they understand why I am saying what I am saying. It also is helping me plan for our second topic page where we are going to post details.)

Can’t wait for your characters and planet!

Thanks guys!

MELODY

winter_rose
                @winter_rose

@melodyjoy

If you win you get to lead the branch. You become the ultimate leader of the whole thing, that’s at least the impression I got.

Maybe the characters all play together, and there will be eight champions, and the Judges put them in the branch they think best suits them.

================

I seriously think that we need more than one player per country because we all have multiple characters and I feel like we’ve changed a lot to accommodate that rule… anyone else? If you’re all cool with one per country it’s probably fine, I just want to troubleshoot a bit here.

Mel
                  @melodyjoy

@winter_rose

If you win you get to lead the branch. You become the ultimate leader of the whole thing.

I like that idea but my characters are teenagers… Do you really want teenagers to be leading major government positions? (Not saying that my characters will win but still… there might be others).

Maybe the characters all play together, and there will be eight champions, and the Judges put them in the branch they think best suits them.

I really think we should do this because it has been mentioned a lot that we want our characters to play together so yeah. Does everyone agree on that?

I seriously think that we need more than one player per country because we all have multiple characters and I feel like we’ve changed a lot to accommodate that rule…

Yeah, I’ve been thinking that too. And even with what I mentioned about how we want our characters to play together. Like my two. I want them to be together.

We could have a 3 person limit per country, and some sort of limit per planet? But you are definitely right.

MELODY

Wingiby Iggiby
                    @wingiby-iggiby

@melodyjoy

I am leaning toward Neromiro Drake, just cause it sounds cool 😛 I also think ships might be, I don’t know, more realistic — even thought this whole thing is totally UN-realistic, lol. And I guess I couldn’t help thinking STAR WARS, and portals just don’t seem to fit the American Western type world I’m building.

And I totally don’t mind you blockquoting everything! It makes it easier for ME to read 😉

My planet is sorta like two countries — the plains and the mountains, and both like a separate world. So that way my characters will both be from same planet, yet different.

Oh, gotta go! If I missed anything, let me know! And I don’t think it would be good for teens to run the whole thing, lol — if it was me, I would be so stressed out.  So I think the best-appointed idea will work.

Wingiby Iggiby
                      @wingiby-iggiby

Just had another thought: dropping the Knox, the guy’s name could be Andor, and his villainous title could be Neromiro Drake. Also, I’ll be thinking about his motive.

Joelle Stone
                        @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Ooh, good idea! That way, people think that the meek Judge Andor is a totally different person than the power-hungry villain, Neromiro Drake. I like it! (I think the Nero name is best as well, BTW).

Yeah, I think we should allow more than one character per country. I mean, people think Vika’s from the same country as Melody’s characters, so they’ll have to take three or leave one of us out. :/

How about the kids compete in every branch of the Cullings? That way, the Judges can see what they excel at, and we don’t have two thirds of the characters in the military division with the others scattered throughout the rest.

Also, I like winter_rose’s idea on the idea that the winners of each branch become the leaders of that area. But maybe they actually train to become the leaders, instead of becoming the actual leaders. Maybe a mentor/apprentice thing?

As for the ships/portals, why not both? the more advanced societies get portals, while the less advanced planets get ships, and the in-between get whatever the Cullings builders send their way. Does that work?

"A writer's life consists of either writing their book or thinking about writing their book." ~?

Mel
                          @melodyjoy

@wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

I like the Neromiro Drake as the villain title and Andor as his “real name”. Cool idea! And glad we finally picked a name for him lol.

Yeah, I think we should allow more than one character per country. I mean, people think Vika’s from the same country as Melody’s characters, so they’ll have to take three or leave one of us out. :/

Me 2. Wasn’t VIka going to be from another country on my planet? Doesn’t really matter either way. Up to you 🙂 (I don’t care LOL)

How about the kids compete in every branch of the Cullings? That way, the Judges can see what they excel at, and we don’t have two thirds of the characters in the military division with the others scattered throughout the rest.

Let’s definitely do that. It will also be easier on the planning end of things because we won’t have to plan who goes where 🙂

Also, I like winter_rose’s idea on the idea that the winners of each branch become the leaders of that area. But maybe they actually train to become the leaders, instead of becoming the actual leaders. Maybe a mentor/apprentice thing?

Good idea. Cause personally, as was mentioned, I don’t want teens leading major government positions, so an apprentice thing would work great!

As for the ships/portals, why not both? the more advanced societies get portals, while the less advanced planets get ships, and the in-between get whatever the Cullings builders send their way. Does that work?

Yes it does. By ship you mean space ship right? Not boat? Just in case I mistook information there lol. It is space. (Great pic in my mind. Floating boat in space LOL)

Well, you two literally just thought out what I’ve been thinking about for a few days LOL. Thanks!!!

MELODY

Wingiby Iggiby
                            @wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

@melodyjoy

Yay! I’m glad you like the name idea. It came to me suddenly, since I like Andor as a name as well, and was wondering if we could possibly incorporate it. My sister pointed out that it would make a good name for a place too; so maybe he could name a city or country or planet after himself. 😛 Villains are rather vain.

And everything else sounds good, especially competing in every branch; it makes a lot more sense — as does an apprenticeship! And yeah, we mean space ships! That is so funny you thought boat! I’m imagining a sail-boat or cruise ship sailing through space… But yeah, it can be confusing. The English language.

Speaking of ships, what do these look like? And are portals just swirling holes? I just like to see things in my head, and wanted to make sure we all see the same thing, lol.

Mel
                              @melodyjoy

@wingiby-iggiby

Yes, naming a place after himself is very villain-like. Let’s do that.

And everything else sounds good, especially competing in every branch; it makes a lot more sense — as does an apprenticeship!

Yes, I agree!

Speaking of ships, what do these look like? And are portals just swirling holes?

One of us could try drawing something. I am up to doing it. I’ll work on it this week 🙂

MELODY

Wingiby Iggiby
                                @wingiby-iggiby

@melodyjoy

That sounds great! I didn’t even think of that — with a drawing we all know what it looks like.

Viewing 15 posts - 106 through 120 (of 152 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest