Fantasy Writers

Is anyone interested in collaborating on a story?

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 152 total)
  • Author
    Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

(Ok, here’s my character. I’m still devolping him and his world, so I might change things. I am working on a part about his world, but typing out descriptions are not the most exciting things for me to write so it might take a while)

Name: Ronnie-Kix Apalago Deranger*                     Pronunciation: Ah-pa-lay-go   Der-ain-ger

Appearance: short bleached tan hair   Blue eyes   seriously tanned skin   lanky but strong for size

Clothes: Native outfit; light (as in weight) checkered shirt with bandana and black vest and jean-like pants with cowboy boots and cowboy hat (five-gallon), sometimes spurs  Games outfit: Obi-Wan Kenobi robe and tunic, and his cowboy boots and jeans. He doesn’t really care how he looks, FWI. 😀

Major Flaw: Doesn’t really like help, takes a while to trust people

Best Quality: Loyal — and he means it

Other characteristics: can be quick tempered sometimes, is a loner, likes animals (meaning he doesn’t hate them), shy, but bold when in danger, is wary of other people until he gets to know them, and can be impatient

Hobbies: Sketching-drawing, trick-riding

Likes: Sunsets, warm weather, Arkcainas** (especially his own mount, Whizz), and rain (since it helps the prairie grass grow), and the mountains even though they’re cold

Dislikes: The cold, getting hurt, betrayal, meanies, disappointing people, failing, when people don’t move fast enough

Pet: Has an Arkcaina named Whizz

Weapons: Bowie Knife and blue lightsaber

*Ok, I know. Weird name. Ronnie-Kix. But I liked both, and wanted to use both. Actually, they are the names of country singers Ronnie Dunn and Kix Brooks (look up their song “Cowgirls Don’t Cry” if you haven’t heard it, because you need to hear it NOW. I love that song). I might change his name later; I don’t know.

**Y’all are probably wondering what an Arkcaina is, and I’ll illiterate on that when I post about the planet through Ronnie-Kix’s view.

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Mel
      @melodyjoy

@wingiby-iggiby

Nice character! It’s good that you have a boy, we’re lacking on those 🙂

His planet is gonna be interesting, I can tell. 🙂

BTW, Luv your quote about God, milkshakes, and people. So true!

Great progress guys!

MELODY

P.S. Still working on my planet and Country

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Mel
        @melodyjoy

@writergirl101

@wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

@arindown

@winter_rose

So, had a thought about the games. (Cullings, is that the name? Sorry I forgot)

Earlier @wingiby-iggiby (P.S. Where did you get the idea for your name?) asked “How do our characters apply for the games?”.

I personally don’t think that our characters should apply for the games. I think it needs to be more of a “leaders of the Cullings choose them” sort of thing. I don’t know. I don’t want this to be to much like some other stories, you guys mentioned hunger games.

Any suggestions?

Also, I think we should develop the “government/game leaders” of the Cullings along with it’s planet. 🙂

MELODY

Wingiby Iggiby
          @wingiby-iggiby

@melodyjoy

Thank you! I decided to do a boy since in the collaborative I’ve done, all my characters are girls. And yes! I hope to make it interesting.

And thanks! I love that quote too! Your’s is good too, and so right!

I got my name from The Wingfeather Saga — the three main character’s (Janner, Tink, and Leeli) last name is Igiby, and there is another character named Peet the Sock Man who kept mixing their name up; and that is where I got it from 😉

And ah, yes; I think it a good idea for the leaders to chose them. So do the leaders go to each planet where the people have a local game and a person is chosen from there?

winter_rose
            @winter_rose

I think that each planet works differently on how they get their candidates, so some will be chosen and others will apply, just to add to diversity and the different freedom levels of the people from each planet.

Something from earlier, the leaders of the Cullings are called the Judges, I think that there are three, and they each get to grant one pardon from elimination to a player of their choice.

Joelle Stone
              @joelle-stone

Sounds good, you guys!

"A writer's life consists of either writing their book or thinking about writing their book." ~?

Wingiby Iggiby
                @wingiby-iggiby

I agree!

Mel
                  @melodyjoy

@writergirl101

@wingiby-iggiby

@joelle-stone

@winter_rose

Good ideas Winter Rose! I agree with them. 😉

====================================

MY PLANET

Name: Rithagua

Random thought LOL: So, the whole planet is one big land mass. There is no water on the surface of the planet at all. How do the inhabitants survive? The core of the planet is not hot material like earth. It is composed of water :). The civilizations over time have developed unique ways of acquiring the water for use by all, including irrigation, drinking, etc. (Does this sound cool? Please let me know lol)

Because the whole planet is all one land mass, there are some major struggles over dividing country barriers. It’s not uncommon for fighting to break out.

MY CHARACTERS’ COUNTRY:

Both Rikiar Thidrek and Aleyda Wilgefortis live in the same country.

Name of Country: Sinoraus

Country is VERY military oriented. Both Rikiar and Aleyda are part of a warrior camp that pretty much is their life.

Ok, just had a thought.

The government of the country Sinoraus is very corrupt. (Tell me if you like the following idea). Somehow they have some sort of connection with one of the game builders (not a Judge, actual builder/planner), who also is corrupt. That game builder has agreed to pay Sinoraus’ government “big” money for game contestants, since in Sonoraus, the Cullings are not a highly respected thing. The game leaders really want Sinoraus’ contestants since Sinoraus is so military focused and they are good fighters. All this leads to the warrior camp in which Rikiar and Aleyda attend.

Okay, so another thing. I like the idea of there are people who are chosen against their will and there are also people who apply to enter the Cullings.

But I’m more leaning toward the fact that Cullings is not something you want to do (or am I wrong?).

Well, then I guess this leads me to the question: What is the point of the Cullings?

Is it like HG where you fight to the death and there is only one champion because everybody else is dead? Don’t think we should do that because it’s too much like HG and that would defeat the point of this story…
                    (Umm, trying to think of more ideas here.)
                    Is it like, You fight and if you die, you die, and if you don’t die, you don’t but you fight your hardest and try to win? If so, how do you win?

Another thought: Could be something with a super duper intense obstacle course type thingy and fighting is super important? Would really need to develop this…

Will think of more ideas. Any thoughts guys?

BUT, we still have to develop the planet for the Cullings and the government as well. This might spark more ideas. I think there needs to be like a super cool backstory and scheming and plotting… Wait a minute. I’m getting ahead of myself… Sorry,

Whatd’ya think?

MELODY

winter_rose
                    @winter_rose

@melodyjoy

All of those ideas sound great!! Keep the inspiration coming!😄

I believe that the point of the Cullings is to obtain the government position you’ve entered or been entered for. There can be only one winner, and others are ‘culled’ through elimination (the person who did the poorest or finished last is eliminated).

Wingiby Iggiby
                      @wingiby-iggiby

@melodyjoy

Your ideas sound great! I especially like the thought of your planet’s water core. And yeah, we need to develop the Culling further. Maybe, when they go to eliminate the failures of the Cullings; they are impeded for some reason and our characters, who have learned the truth, decide to rescue them as their first mission. Just a thought, if y’all don’t like it, that’s fine! 😉

I’ll try to think more, but we’re moving tomorrow and I don’t know how much I’ll be able to post…

Joelle Stone
                        @joelle-stone

@wingiby-iggiby,

Hope the moving goes well! I’ve only ever moved once that I remember (twice in my life), and it was exciting but stressful. Have fun!

"A writer's life consists of either writing their book or thinking about writing their book." ~?

Joelle Stone
                          @joelle-stone

@melodyjoy,

Great ideas! And like Wingiby said,

I especially like the thought of your planet’s water core.

Joelle Stone
                            @joelle-stone

@melodyjoy,

I like your planet a lot. Do you mind if one of my characters is from a different country on it? Vika, maybe? She could be a spy or something cool. 🙂

Mel
                              @melodyjoy

@winter_rose

I’m not really understanding what you mean by that. Government position? How do you get eliminated? What do you do to not get eliminated?

@wingiby-iggiby

Hope your move goes well! You moving far from where you were before or just in the same-ish area?

Maybe my brain is just fried, but I am confused by your idea as well. Who is impeding them (the Judges?)? What is the truth?

@joelle-stone

Yeah totally! I think that would be cool if  one of your characters was on my planet.

Spy for what?

@all of us 🙂

Hope you all don’t mind all my questions. LOL. It does make me think tho, you too hopefully. I’m gonna keep ’em coming LOL

I think it would be cool if we made like a trilogy or something. (Tho, it would take A LOT A LOT of planning). These types of stories are more the trilogy type tho… haha. Whatdya think?

I’m just going to make a list of things we MUST develop:

if there’s anything I missed lemme know 😉 (or if there is anything else you want too) 😉

(If you already have this stuff, great!)

1.  Our Characters
                                2. Our Countries
                                3. Our Planets
                                4. The Cullings (the actual game, the point, what happens, the place where they compete “arena”, etc.)
                                5. The Cullings’ planet
                                6. The Cullings’ planet’s government
                                7. The Cullings’ Judges
                                8. The Way you get to the Cullings
                                9. I’m sure there’s something else LOL. We will probably all think of it later. Lemme know.

Questions:

1. I mentioned this in my last post but nobody really addressed it. Is there going to be some sort of corrupt thing within the Cullings game/ leaders, etc?
                                2. Is it Cullings or Culling?
                                3. My other questions already go under things we need to develop up above so hopefully they will get answered later along with some AWESOME planning!

I am having so much fun! Hope you don’t mind my brainstorming 😉

Bye!

MELODY

Mel
                                @melodyjoy

Also, just had a thought…

So as you can see, we already have 7 pages…

I was thinking…

After we get bulk planning done on some of the stuff I mentioned above we should start a new topic, (tag everybody), with all the details, plot, all our characters, EVERYTHING at the very top.

Don’t worry ’bout that yet tho… We still have some planning 🙂

Thanks!

MELODY

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 152 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest