fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 287 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The world hates many things A spine-buzzingly foreign thought brushed into Alessio’s mind. Myself included.
    Someone else’s mind, radiating an undercurrent of hate and bitterness. And cunning. For a paralyzing moment he wanted to jolt back, to run to fight anything to break that invasion. Never, never again. If he shot the creature would that make it stop?
    “A dragon,” He rumbled at Nithel. “And you…You are all mankind.”
    He didn’t even bother to look at Alessio. “Yes, I can read your thoughts. Do not shoot at me, Alessio. It would not bode well.”
    He let out a shaky breath, and radiated fury back at Malvat’s mind. Alessio couldn’t read thoughts but he could differentiate from his own and someone else’s and he yanked every strand of information that leaked from the dragon’s head. Mankinds. Alessio could feel the scorn and he shoved it back at him, his head burning with the effort and with panic like a white-hot stake driven through his spine.
    “Lower your bow,” The words didn’t register for several seconds but he froze with the warmth of a hand on his shoulder. He glanced up at Brendin, his eyes losing their anger in surprise. “If he wanted we’d already be dead.”
    Very true.
    “Get. Out. Of my head.” Alessio’s voice was deathly low. If you can read my mind then you know you should be afraid. In a flash his mind shifted to the curse that bound him to the wizard, but he shut it out before any clear thought escaped. It’s not just fire in me.
    Alessio lost track of the conversation, dizzy with thoughts. Slowly, his bow lowered to the ground but he didn’t put it away.
    “…less intimidating. Who are you?” A pause. Alessio swallowed, blinking back a swarm of memories triggered by the advance. Stop messing with my head. He was hardly even five the first time some wizard was hired to suppress his powers, lock his memories away so he couldn’t tap into the fire coursing through his veins. Alessio’s breath rattled softly, he couldn’t afford to panic…
    “Interesting,” Malvat purred. “Come in, mankind woman,”
    The dragon turned his head to the passageway Brendin had pointed out. “I am a dragon, but I do not eat maidens.”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“Get. Out. Of my head.”

Brendin squeezed Alessio’s shoulder gently to try and bring back the lad’s focus.  “Alessio, lower your bow,” he repeated.  He recognized his expression, the panic and fear and anger.  The nausea from another mind invading your own.

Memories flashed through Brendin’s mind, filled with screams once more, but this time they were his as he lay on the black marble altar.  A shadowy, taloned hand reached out to his chest and dug its ebony claws in…

Forcing such bitter recollections from his mind Brendin knelt before the boy, putting a hand on his arms and gently making him lower the weapon.  “Look at me.  Listen to me.  He may only come in if you let him,” he whispered gently, hopefully in a low enough tone the dragon did not overhear.  I will give him silence if he does.  “Ignore him.”

“I am a dragon, but I do not eat maidens.”

Jericho’s mouth twitched at the words.  Maiden…when has anyone ever called me that?

Somewhat haltingly she crept out of the shadow of the tunnel, her hand still on the hilt of her sword.  Cautiously she probed the others through her shakti: the boy was youthful but neurotic; the farmer was odd, both old and young, almost like one of the Sadi, but Jericho knew he could not be one; the other man, the one standing by the boy, something about him was maimed and feral and recoiled at the brush of her presence, though something more volatile stirred within him; and finally the dragon bore two other entities, though Jericho did not seek to probe them out further and risk overextending herself.  Ramseur had never felt like that.  She had shared her mind with the golden dragon many times, and always it had been a single consciousness.

But Jericho knew better than to ask and show her hand.  Perhaps she’d grown too cautious for her own good, but it couldn’t be helped.  She’d seen the consequences of being reckless.  She had no desire to repeat them.

“My dear Malvat,” she said.  Her voice was soft but yet carried clearly to the others.  “Do you not yet know it is rude to call humans ‘mankind’?”  Though the words were bold they were also gentle, and her tone made clear she did not wish to antagonize.  “It will not do,” she chided.

She came down from her point of entry and then sat upon the floor, legs crossed and her head propped lazily up by her left elbow.  Yet despite the display of nonchalance she had come only partway to Malvat and her other hand still held a loose grip on the talwar’s hilt.  The white gem in its pommel was pressed firmly into her palm.  It felt cool and soothing against her skin.

Jericho was portraying an air of ease and indifference but her guard was still raised.  If she appeared overconfident she was often thought a fool and underestimated.  She hoped this would be the case once more.  Dragons read thoughts, she knew, so she projected a single thought beyond her walls of yellow crystal.  You are not what you seem, are you?

@joelle-stone

My hope is that Jericho has sufficiently distracted Malvat that Brendin’s words to Alessio go unnoticed.

@this-is-not-an-alien

Hey look Brendin’s taking a mentor role to Alessio…almost like he’s used to being an older brother…hmmm

@kimlikesart

I hope I gave Nithel an accurate description.  Jheri (one of Jericho’s nicknames) is somewhere in the 700-1000 range; is she older or younger than Nithel?

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Get. Out. Of my head.”

Nithel slowly side walked toward Alessio, still in a crouch. Closer, but not too close, giving Brendin and the youth space. Yes, the dragon could kill them all easier this way, but… Nithel’s brows somehow lowered more. You have a use for us. A revulsion and sickness grabbed his chest. Noy. His mind raced a bit more on that, then his eyes turn toward the creature.

Whom do you serve? The thought was solid. But the dragon was talking. So Nithel didn’t ask his question with words.

I… need to keep him from my mind. From understanding. His mind search but a moment more when something clicked. I could think in the tongue of nujum altanafus. He… Nithel’s face felt the smallest hope. I can think without him knowing. None know the tongue. And from this time forward, his thoughts are in that different language. A language not even from a world.

@joelle-stone Does Malvat still understand? I don’t know…

“I am a dragon, but I do not eat maidens.”

Nithel’s eyes bounced up to the dragon. Then he felt someone else behind him, peeking slowly. He turned his upper-body to face Alessio and Bredin. He could see the giant lizard or the girl if he just turns his chin a bit in either direction.

She looked over them all with a regal heir. She reminded him of Vinia; almost instantly. Then she looked on the dragon. “My dear Malvat,” her voice carried, strong, but soft like a bee.

Nithel’s face was blank, thinking hard.

“Do you not yet know it is rude to call humans ‘mankind’? It will not do,” It was like she was rebuking her child, in a sing-song…

Nithel’s brows lift the smallest bit. haqa? The similarities between her and Vinia dissipated, then dropped almost entirely as she sat on the ground, casual as a stone, crossing her legs. Nithel ran his eyes over her. She was uncomfortale. Her eyes careful.

Only a moment later he saw she had something hidden in her hand. But he ignored it, mostly, looking straight ahead. At neither Malvat nor the maiden. Just over Alessio’s head, and in front of Brendin. Lost in thought.

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Haltingly the maiden came out of the passage and met Malvat’s eyes. “My dear Malvat,” she said, her voice soft but strong enough to reach all ears. “Do you not yet know it is rude to call humans ‘mankind’? It will not do.”

She doesn’t wish to make me angry, Malvat thought, studying her. Yet she wants to make it clear that she is able to take care of herself. Hm.

By now she was seated on the ground in front of him, not too close but close enough to make it appear she cared not about his menacing size or abilities. Her head was propped up on one elbow, her other hand clasping what appeared to be the hilt of a sword. Her hair was long and a dark brown, her blue eyes glittering a challenge.

I cannot hear her thoughts. Mankind think constantly. Unease began to worm its way into Malvat’s being, although he remained casually reclining where he was. Is she empowered also? The Bestower has been busy.

You are not what you seem, are you?

That thought was clear. It was taken out from behind some sort of sheild and displayed for Malvat’s reading, a question obviously intended for him.

Deciding that it was best to make allies with these mankind – for now – Malvat dipped his head in her direction. “My apologies. It is what us Amandril-folk call you… humans. I have not heard the term in many years.” That was true. “And although I can read thoughts, I cannot send mine into others’ heads, so I’m afraid a telepathic conversation will not work. I will answer your question orally: no. And neither are you, nahala.” He glanced to his side, where the male mankind were clustered around the fiery youth. “Very few of us are. Now” -he slowly got to his feet and stretched, fanning his wings- “May I suggest that we leave? I am a dragon, yet this heat is beginning to affect even me. There is also the problem of the rising lava beneath us.” He tipped a wing in the maiden’s direction with a friendly wink. “May I offer a ride to the other side?”

————————————–

@skylarynn
    @kimlikesart @this-is-not-an-alien

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Hey look Brendin’s taking a mentor role to Alessio…almost like he’s used to being an older brother…hmmm…

That is soo sweet, I love these characters! I hadn’t expected everybody to be so nice to Alessio when I first dropped him in

“Alessio, lower your bow,” Alessio could feel a hand on his shoulder and he nearly jerked back, every instinct screaming at him to get away to fight it. It took him a moment to recognize Brendin and even then letting anyone touch him right now was almost unbearable. His chest shook, everything was blurry, dizzy even though his vision was normal it felt shaky. He couldn’t panic he couldn’t panic he couldn’t. There was something–The words wouldn’t come, he memorized it…Just stop, just make it stop. Comforting, strange words, so familiar they had a soothing closeness…Thus says the Lord, who created you, one who supplants. He who formed you, one who–
    “Look at me.” He tried to but even with his gaze on Brendin it was more past him, hot and cold flashes like electric currents thrusting reality away. The urge to fight was beginning to give out. Fire shivered through his spine, he needed to get it out before it killed him/he couldn’t spontaneously combust at everything. He desperately needed the reassuring touch, but it meant he was vulner…who formed you, one who wrestled with God. Fear not,- “Listen to me.”
    Fear not, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name, Alessio felt his bow sink and swallowed he couldn’t–Everything felt numb. He blinked, consciously slowing his breath, his skin burning hot, trying not to spark. You are mine. When…
    “He may only come in if you let him,” Slowly, Alessio’s eyes focused on Brendin, aware of the man’s warm, firm grasp on his arms. He was dimly aware of a conversation between someone and the dragon. He was still trying to shove his fire deep deep down. “Ignore him.”
    When you walk through fire you will not be burned, and the flame will not devour you…
    Different thoughts and emotions swirled in his brain like a searing dream. He couldn’t–he didn’t mean to break down in front of anyone, and Brendin…Pure admiration flitted into his eyes along with deep cutting shame. He shouldn’t…he shouldn’t be so cowardly he–And Brendin seemed so in control, he could use his fire so effortlessly he didn’t have trouble keeping his pain inside…
    “..My apologies. It is what us Amandril-folk call you…humans. I have not heard the term in many years. And although I can read thoughts, I cannot send mine into others’ heads, so I’m afraid a telepathic conversation will not work.” Alessio swallowed, fairly certain he’d incinerated something by now. I’m sorry. He glanced between Brendin and Nithel, everything still a little shaky but reasonably under control again as far as he could tell.
    “I will answer your question orally:no. And neither are you, nahala. Very few of us are. Now” Are…what? He’d probably never learn the answer to that. “May I suggest that we leave? I am a dragon, yes this heat is beginning to affect even me. There is also the problem of the rising lava beneath us.”
    I didn’t do that…? Alessio’s gaze dropped to his hands and then to the edge nervously.
    “May I offer a ride to the other side?” The dragon said winking at–some…new person he didn’t have the energy to overanalyze…He really hoped that lava was just normal, everyday, not-accidentally-caused-by-him lava. A part of him wondered if he could reverse the damage or redirect the heat but he’d never experimented with his powers since…

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Brendin could see that the boy was panicking.  Small flames began to form along his arms, dancing and flickering around Brendin’s hands.  He quelled them, drawing the fire away from Alessio and funneling it away into his Syne.  Slowly the boy calmed and returned to reality, anxiously glancing around.  Trying to see if he’d set something on fire… Brendin thought.  The flames had singed his hands but caused no further harm.  Bren had hardly even noticed, given how little pain he felt.

“I can help you, if you want,” Brendin whispered.  His own fire did not always come naturally to him; it took several months at the University before he could comfortably wield it without much thought or effort (or fear of burning something down).  Alessio’s was likely no different, but he feared it more than Brendin had.

“May I suggest that we leave? I am a dragon, yet this heat is beginning to affect even me. There is also the problem of the rising lava beneath us.” He tipped a wing in the maiden’s direction with a friendly wink. “May I offer a ride to the other side?”

Jericho could not resist a wry smirk, though she quickly stifled it.  “I’m not sure it would be wise, my friend,” she said solemnly.  “You would be carrying four of us, and I am not sure there is another side.  However,” she continued, a small friendly smile crossing her mouth, “if you could perhaps reduce yourself to a less magnificent form, the passage I came from leads well away to safety.”

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @kimlikesart @joelle-stone

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

She knows… the words whispered through his brain like toule curtains on a night breeze.

Malvat felt his friendliness begin to dissipate, but he kept his smile on his face and his wing lowered. “Even if I could reduce my size, lady (*cough cough* he doesn’t say this mockingly like it’s normally used today. Think about how Aragorn addresses Eowyn), I doubt I would fit in so small a passage.” He squinted at the opening doubtfully. “And I need not carry four of you if you would be uncomfortable with it. I am large enough and strong enough to do so. Perhaps I shall look by myself and see if there is another side.” He shrugged, his shoulders rising and falling like ebony mountains. “If any of you… humans wish to accompany me, I have no objection.”

—————————

@kimlikesart

Anyone want to be split up with Malvat? XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“I can help you, if you want,” Brendin whispered. Alessio’s eyes drifted up to him, not quite hopefully. Can you make it go away? He knew Brendin couldn’t, he was stuck with his powers and with his own pain-warped mind. Stifling the thought, Alessio glanced down for a second at Brendin’s hands which were coated in small burns. His chest constricted, guessing how he hadn’t incinerated anything.
    “How?” Alessio asked softly, a guarded tint in his eyes. The last person to offer to teach him to use his powers was…

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

(Sorry it took me so long to post, my family’s elderly dog got sick all of a sudden and was quite a handful to take care of.  We ended up putting him down.  He was 15, we had him for a good 9 years)

“How?” Alessio asked softly, a guarded tint in his eyes.

“Any way I can,” Brendin answered honestly.  “Just tell me what you need.”

“If any of you… humans wish to accompany me, I have no objection.”

Jericho smiled thinly.  “Oh, I think we are quite alright.  You have my thanks for the offer, but I must decline.”  I have no reason to trust you.  She was careful to keep the thought to herself.  This Malvat was nothing at all like Ramseur or any of his brood.  She did not like his attitude.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @joelle-stone @kimlikesart

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

(I’m so sorry! I remember we lost our old dog, Pepper, a couple years ago and dogs are family. *hugs tightly* I hope you get a new dog soon <3)

“Any way I can,” Brendin said “Just tell me what you need.”
    I don’t know what I need. He’d spent so many years stifling his own needs to survive, he didn’t have any point of reference. There was no ‘things were better when this happened’ or ‘this made things worse’ it’s just a void of what’s messed up. He can’t even imagine what ‘better’ looks like.
    “No one’s ever asked me what I need.” I wouldn’t even dream of meeting someone who actually cared. It was an unrealistic expectation? “I don’t know what…people have a right to expect from others.”
    I just wanted to be treated like a human, and I don’t even know what that means…
    I don’t know what emotions people feel, only the idea of those emotions
    I don’t feel my own emotions
    I just want to be human again.
    Alessio stared at the ground, trying to process and come up with a response. He couldn’t. He’d exhausted every trail and thread of hope for healing. There was something else, other than fire, clinging to him.
    Abruptly, Alessio glanced at Malvat, he wasn’t sure how much the dragon had been listening to his thoughts. He struggled to focus on something other than his secret.
    “How do you control your fire?” Alessio asked finally, casting Malvat another wary look. He was talking to some woman who seemed far too casual to not be extremely dangerous.
    “Even if I could reduce my size, lady, I doubt I would fit in so small a passage. And I need not carry four of you if you would be uncomfortable with it. I am large enough and strong enough to do so. Perhaps I shall look by myself and see if there is another side.” The dragon gave a smooth, heaving shrug, which was a sight Alessio’d never seen before. “If any of you…humans wish to accompany me, I have no objection.”

“As sadomasochistic as that sounds, sir, I think I’d rather impale a knife through my eyeball.” Alessio remarked with a tiny shrug. “If it’s all the same to you, sir, it might save us both some time.”
    His gaze skated back to Brendin, uncertainly. Surviving, staying hidden, that much Alessio had mastered. But he didn’t know the first thing about how to actually interact with people who weren’t trying to use him. All he could think to do was watch Nithel and Brendin and try to learn from their lead.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

(@skylarynn Ooh, I’m so sorry!! My family recently lost our dog of 14 years as well, so I feel for you. ):)

“Oh, I think we are quite alright,” the woman replied breezily. “You have my thanks for the offer, but I must decline.” Something followed her words, a whisper of thought, but just beyond Malvat’s reach. A slight frown dimpled his face. The only other people who could block his reading were those who had a stronger Telepath power, and he doubted one existed unless the Bestower had conjured something up. He had to keep an eye on this stranger.

“As sadomasochistic as that sounds, sir, I think I’d rather impale a knife through my eyeball,” Alessio added with the smallest of shrugs. Malvat turned a silver eye on the lad, reminding himself to watch him as well. “If it’s all the same to you, sir, it might save us both some time.”

Malvat shrugged. “I understand both of your concern. But I assure you, I cannot fit through that doorway.”

As soon as the words left his mouth the tunnel opening behind the woman expanded in height and width until it could easily accommodate a dragon, even one of his size. It was hard to hide his surprise. There is some other work here, Malvat thought darkly, staring at the opening. I don’t like it.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel wanted to be near Alessio, but there were things he couldn’t give him. And eavesdropping on conversations was not something he wished to do.

Nithel looked away while Alessio and Brendin spoke. Thinking. Considering. Going over the moments before he had stepped through the door of Amit’s shop… and fell through stone. He went over all of it in his mind… Thoughts in Samawi…

Then he glanced up, eyes going from the strange woman to the dragon. He listened to understand.

“You have my thanks for the offer, but I must decline.” Her tone was deep but flowed like the sap of aspens. Intoxicating if one allowed.

Nithel’s flushed face was close to blank, except his eyes, which were clearly pondering as he looked at her, then stared at her feet.

Alessio said something. Sadomasochisticmumarasat aljins wal’alm? Nithel’s eyes filled with sadness. Pain in his chest. limadha austukhdimat dhlk?

Nithel’s brows lifted as he looked toward the giant lizard.  “I understand both of your concern. But I assure you, I cannot fit through that doorway.” Sweat dripped down Nithel’s face, plastering his untethered hair to his neck.

He liked the heat, but he could barely breathe. Nithel ran his tongue over his lips, and waited for them to come to a decision. Wh- His eyes widened. The doorway was…. Noy. Again.

His eyes darted from the hole to Alessio, then Brendin. His chest tightened, and he found it hard to breathe for another reason. limadha yurid syd hdha almakan ‘an nabqaa meana?

________

@joelle-stone

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“I understand both of your concerns.” The dragon shrugged “But I assure you, I cannot fit through that doorway.”
    No sooner said than contradicted, the mouth of the tunnel broke wide. Alessio looked at the hole and back at the dragon, a tiny smirk fighting his sober expression. Nobody had to read his mind to hear his thoughts. Next excuse? As quick as he could Alessio attempted a most innocent mien because this time he couldn’t get a look from Nithel for saying it.
    He glanced up at Nithel, suddenly realizing it was sweltering here. No amount of heat was going to injure Alessio but he didn’t have a good gauge on how much heat ‘normal’ humans could take. A burning sense of protectiveness blazed through his eyes. As much as he didn’t like the idea of entering that chasm they had to get out of here now. He turned to the hole.
    “There are probably better ways to die,” he muttered to himself, then added outloud “Well…let’s get this over with. I guess I’ll go first, if I don’t come back we’ll all know what happened.”
    With that he entered the bloated passage.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

( @kimlikesart @this-is-not-an-alien @joelle-stone sorry for the delay, I got really into writing my own story again and forgot about this one)

“How do you control your fire?” Alessio asked finally.

Brendin thought a moment, glancing down at where the black mark was hidden just under his sleeve.  He hadn’t always carried the syne, he knew.  There was a time when he was still separate from fire’s element.  “I’m not sure I can explain it well,” Bren answered at last.  “But I will teach you.”

“Well…let’s get this over with. I guess I’ll go first, if I don’t come back we’ll all know what happened.”

“I’ll go with you,” Brendin offered, catching up to Alessio and walking at his side.

Malvat shrugged. “I understand both of your concern. But I assure you, I cannot fit through that doorway.”

As soon as the words left his mouth the tunnel opening behind the woman expanded in height and width until it could easily accommodate a dragon, even one of his size.

Jericho allowed a wry smirk to cross her mouth.  “It seems you do not have much choice,” she said calmly, standing with a graceful flow of movement.  “So, will you come with us, my dear saurian?”  She extended her hand in an unspoken offer.  Be wise in this choice.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

(No problem, I do that all the time sweety *is doing that currently and reorganizing ( ;procrastinating) projects as a result/just being lazy/condemning self to burnout/etc ;P*

“I’ll go with you,” Brendin said, catching up to Alessio whose eyes froze for a second at the words. He glanced up at the man, uncertainly, before turning back to the cave.
    ‘I’m not sure I can explain it well. But I will teach you.’ How was he supposed to trus…Maybe things wouldn’t be the same, maybe he wasn’t offering to teach Alessio just because it was weak point for a desperate naïve boy, maybe this time someone actually meant it? He wanted, so much, to find some way to deal with his powers.
    Sudden chill gasped through him from the cave, folding out into an expansive skeletal cavern, the walls rowed with spikes like narrow teeth. It’s cold in a way that it’s just warm enough you can’t call it cold, but ghost shivers filter through your bones in and out.

“It looks ‘safe’,” Alessio said slowly “in the most stridently relative sense of the word.”
    He stared back at Brendin, aching to ask him about fire, but not sure how to broach the subject again.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 287 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest