fb

Fantasy Writers

Fantasy Character Castle Chronicles n.1

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 269 total)
  • Author
    Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

When Alessio pivoted toward the doorway Nithel jumped to his feet.

He grabbed the bag the Son of Aden had been told to pick up, before he disappeared. Shoving dried fruits in as well as the potatoes, he ran his dry tongue over his teeth.

Brendin was following Alessio, and the woman was giving the giant lizard a remark.

We will destroy ourselves This castle need do nothing. Nithel pulled in a slow breath, and kept his mouth shut, though the dragon could have understood that.

Alessio had disappeared inside. And Bredin. Noy. Nithel hefted the bag while grabbing the box of ‘chocolate’ and darting after.

Nithel almost ran into Brendin, who was behind Alessio. But he didn’t, bare feet sweaty, and making more noise than he liked. No no no…

Then he shivered, lips parting while his teeth stayed shut. Woe, his eyes looked over the new place.

Nithel said nothing.

———————-

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Passion = A Willingness To Suffer

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Wh- Noy. Again.

The thought came from the solemn man who had switched his thinking to another language. The increasingly annoying one with the air of mystery swirling around him. Malvat ran his tongue over his teeth, doing his best to pretend like he hadn’t heard.

“There are probably better ways to die,” Alessio muttered. Louder he said, “Well…let’s get this over with. I guess I’ll go first, if I don’t come back we’ll all know what happened.”

Surprise flitted across Malvat’s face. The Bearer was showing steel he hadn’t expected. Unsure whether to be pleased or unnerved, Malvat shifted backwards a step to let him pass.

“I’ll go with you,” the other Bearer offered, catching Alessio up. Malvat wrinkled his brow. Both the Fire Bearers in one space? Not a good turn of events.

Smirking wryly, the woman drew Malvat’s eye. “It seems you do not have much choice,” she said calmly, standing with a graceful flow of movement, like water from a pitcher.  “So, will you come with us, my dear saurian?”  Extending her hand, she thought, Be wise in this choice.

Malvat didn’t know what a saurian was, but he strongly disliked the woman’s air. She treated him like an equal, more or less, but she still knew. And she would probably use her knowledge as leverage.

Pivoting, the mysterious man – Nithel, Malvat though – scooped up a sack and hastily stuffed it with provisions before striding into the tunnel after the Bearers, something flaring in his eyes. We will destroy ourselves… This castle need do nothing, he thought.

The ledge was empty except for the woman and Malvat. Heat shivered up his scales. “After you, lady,” Malvat said courteously, dipping his head so his snout gently brushed her hand in a dragon-like bow. He glanced behind him, over the edge of the crevasse, flicking his tail up and onto the ledge before the magma took it. “And I suggest you make haste. Our time is running out.”

———————–

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien @kimlikesart (Sorry for taking so long – life has been hectic. I’ll also be gone for a week or so, so feel free to just drag Malvat along until I get back. ;))

• This reply was modified 2 weeks, 6 days ago by Joelle Stone.

"Lacho calad! Drego morn!"

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@kimlikesart, Aww I love how Nithel stops to grab the chocolates that’s so cute!

“This place looks as bad as my expectations,” Alessio mumbles scanning the knifed wall, just as footsteps plunged behind him. He nearly flinched, glancing back and breathing a sigh of relief when Nithel appeared. Carrying the bag of supplies and the ‘chocolate’ Alessio’d forgotten about. That wasn’t fair, one person shouldn’t have to carry everything, anyway the dragon could carry all that without the slightest inconvenience (but that wasn’t exactly fair either).
    “I think we should take turns carrying the supplies, between the three of us it shouldn’t be too hard.” He didn’t trust Malvat or Jericho enough to give them any control of their only food stock. Hearing the dragon behind Nithel, Alessio shifted back to the more immediate concerns of their survival. The cavern looks everything but safe, there’s no clear assurance the lava won’t rise high enough to reach this area as well. Sense of time is skewed, with their numbers any mistake could kill them so they can’t afford to be sleep-deprived.
    “Let’s get some distance between us and that abysmal pit of despair before we rest,” Alessio suggested, glancing over the group. His eyes touched Nithel’s, aware he could sense him retracting but not sure how to respond. There’s uncertainty and fear in his eyes, but also something almost like security for the first time. Nothing was ok, fine, but maybe there was hope.

@joelle-stone

*bowls over with hug* Welcome temporarily back!! And I guess bye for a week or so we’ll miss you!!!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

(Sorry about the delay, I was spending the weekend working/celebrating my birthday)

“It looks ‘safe’,” Alessio said slowly “in the most stridently relative sense of the word.”

Brendin eyed the corridor keenly, noting the needle-points lining the walls and ceiling.  It looked terribly unfriendly to him.

“This place looks as bad as my expectations,” Alessio mumbled.

Brendin frowned a moment before deciding not to ponder the statement overmuch.  He could hear Nithel enter the passage behind them and gave a cursory glance over his shoulder, noting that Nithel was still carrying the bag of provisions.

“I think we should take turns carrying the supplies, between the three of us it shouldn’t be too hard.” 

“I’ll carry it,” Brendin offered, gently taking the sack from Nithel.

“Let’s get some distance between us and that abysmal pit of despair before we rest,” Alessio suggested, glancing over the group.

Brendin nodded somewhat wearily.  He’d forgotten how exhausted he was after the adrenaline rush from the dragon’s arrival.  “Let’s see where this leads,” he said, half muttering from tiredness.

“After you, lady,” Malvat said courteously, dipping his head so his snout gently brushed her hand in a dragon-like bow. He glanced behind him, over the edge of the crevasse, flicking his tail up and onto the ledge before the magma took it. “And I suggest you make haste. Our time is running out.”

Jericho smiled charitably.  “You are very generous.”  She said nothing else as she slipped into the tunnel behind Nithel, listening attentively as the dragon followed her.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“This place looks as bad as my expectations,”

Nithel chewed on his lip, imagining the walls closing in on them. Millions of tiny spikes… His arms felt cold for more reasons than the sudden chill. Limadha nahn hna?

Alessio went on, “I think we should take turns carrying the supplies, between the three of us it shouldn’t be too hard.” Nithel’s chest tightened, and he held the bag a bit closer. No, Alessio, I can take it. I don’t know how to fight, but I am strong. It is how I will serve you a-

Brendin put his hands on the bag, and pulled, “I’ll carry it,”

Nithel’s chest tightened, but his fingers loosened, not wanting to challenge him. But he felt guilty.

Alessio was still speaking. Wanting to go deeper into the cold, the tunnel. Hope for what? Unless the path began to head Lift they would just be– Nithel breathed, and remained silent.

As Alessio started to walk, Nithel spoke hesitantly to Brendin’s back, “Thank you.” That you cared to help. “I will not be against carrying it when the time comes.”

Nithel’s head then turned quickly to see the woman behind him. Noy. He felt a greater chill.

————

@joelle-stone
    @skylarynn @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

At Alessio’s suggestion about the provisions, Brendin immediately took the sack from Nithel who looked pretty reluctant about it. Alessio swallowed a twinge of guilt, which wasn’t productive since doing all the work wasn’t productive (he would’ve felt so guilty if Nithel had taken the burden of carrying all the supplies himself). But this wasn’t any sort of position he was used to being in at all. For one, he wasn’t being overworked, or threatened, or in immediate danger, at least two of his companions were actually nice to him and the other two were at least not openly hostile. Was he really…free now? Maybe I’m dead.
    “Let’s see where this leads,” Brendin said in a tired semi-trance. For Alessio who was chronically both physically and mentally exhausted he’s barely registered how long they’d been surviving here but he did feel more numb and stiff than usual, it’d probably be nice to get some…wait they had keep moving, rest later. He didn’t want to sleep, besides being insomniac when he did manage to doze off he had nightmares.
    It suddenly occurred to Alessio that he was in front, sorta leading them whoever-knows-where. He wasn’t sure how he felt about that, other than uncomfortable. There was something of another passage ahead, spiked like teeth.
    “Thank you.” He heard Nithel say tenitively to Brendin. “I will not be against carrying it when the time comes.”
    Alessio hesitated a second, not looking back. He remembered, being so eager to help others, so eager that he didn’t care whether he was taken advantage of by others. He thought being quiet and just taking it was love. He thought there was good in everyone, that if he was just kind enough…Alessio shook of the thought, he needed to keep moving. Should they just stay here, maybe he was being selfish. It would be safer farther on ahead especially if there were no spikes there, he was scared the walls would start closing in or something. He didn’t want to make the wrong decision, he couldn’t do this, what if he did something wrong and someone else paid for it…again.
    He closed his eyes and slowly breathed, suddenly realizing he had plunged on ahead. Alessio slowed down a little and glanced back.
    “Does anyone know any stories?” he asked. They couldn’t hurt, they’d at least be a little distracting and probably all of them needed that.

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Alessio began to walk quicker, and Brendin picked up his pace. Nithel hurrying on behind, still walking, just quickly. The girl and dragon assumably behind. Alessio then slowed abruptly and glanced back at them.

“Does anyone know any stories?” The youth asked.

Nithel almost cocked his head. Alqasas alana? Rubama, walakun ‘ayuhuma? Accounts, stories, and legends rumbled through his mind. But, they didn’t wish to hear him speak, did they? Hmm, Nithel glanced about, running his eyes over the beings around him, thinking. They all had stories. But few they’d be willing to tell. biaistithna’ dragon… rubama. His brow furrowed. Yumkinuk ‘an tafeal ma ‘afealah.

After a moment’s more thought, Nithel parted his lips to say- I know a few. -but, that was a lie. Slowly, carefully, but in an even tone, he asked, “What type of story would you like to hear?”

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“What type of story would you like to hear?” Nithel asked slowly, making Alessio wonder if he was under scrutiny and if he’d done something wrong. My whole existence is wrong. Alessio glanced away and gave a fractional shrug.
    “Something with a happy ending?”

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Happy ending? That knocked out the majority. Let’s see. Perhaps of Aden and his replacement? Perhaps of how the people mourned the second sun, and the new sun appeared in the wake of their sadness? Not Kasiin, and the pain he had, patiently watching Gaenil destroy itself. Perhaps… His heart turned a bit cold, remembering a story as he’d heard it told. About himself. A happy ending indeed, but, no no… not that one… Perhaps… yes. That was it. Though it made him uncomfortable as well. These weren’t old men and babes.

He glanced forward and back, shoulder dragging into a spike. Nithel flinched, teeth gritting, and a small grunt came from his throat. It had gone through his shirt’s fabric. Noy… that drew blood. He presses his lips together a moment, not saying anything. La hajatan lilshafqat eali. Lays hdha … sayafealuna. Well then, He swallows, clearing his throat in silence, then he breathed before speaking.

“There once was a star.” His voice echoed a bit, stronger than his normal speech, but still measured. It flowed more this way. “This star was bright and wise. His feet had danced on the knee of the handle his whole being. A breath that had lasted thousands of years.

Over a span of two months, he felt himself getting hotter. His body became brighter. His song to the Star Breather came out stronger than ever before. His ears could hear the praises of celestials he’d never known existed. His world knew no night. The star’s eyes could see to the ground of Gaenil, he could see the man, their faces.

And he knows why. He is about to go out.”

Nithel’s tongue was dry, but somehow he was able to keep his voice smooth. And then aching with pain, when the need in the story arose. “The star sings louder, feeling a painful cold rush through his chest. Like a dagger, this chill aches inside him. The star’s glowing body beginning to dissolve within him. He cries, for the pain of the frost cuts like a jagged blade along his soul. He weeps with his song.

He is dying, and knows it.

His mouth is charry, and he cries out to the One who made him. “Alhamd lilah aladhi yhibuna!”

His wrinkled chin lifts, his snow-white hair beginning to glow for the first time in a millennia.

Then he gives a prayer of thanks to his Creator.” Nithel licks his lips, and breathes. A terrible ache is in his chest, and he’s glad for the shadows hiding his expression.

“The chords struck the heart of Jacine, the first light and warmth of Gaenil. The agonizing, though beautiful, hopeful tones reach the ears of Vinia, the great high star of the upper galaxy; Young, and twinkling like a thousand of her predecessors in one.

But, most important, the song of praise reached the deepest being… of the Star Breather.

The Holy One quaked with sadness. He waited a day, then overcome, he went to his son. His hand the size of the galaxy did not startle the star as it caressed his head. It gave him peace.

The star sang out louder, stronger. Praises. His eyes burning like sapphires, and his tears were rivers of fire. A great roaring began inside him, feeling like fire. Ashes cascading and flying like storms within him.

The star burst into a great nova. Bright colors of snow, sun, violet, river, and emerald flew in all directions. A wave of life swept out across the great expanse, giving new breath to the choir of beings about. For new life comes from a star’s death.

But the Lord of creation cupped the sparks in His hands, a tear dropping down His cheek. The flames almost burning holes through His spotless palms as He carried His son to Gaenil.

There, among rustling grass, and a slight breeze, awoke the star. He say up, completely alone. But then he smiled.” Nithel presses his lips together in a sad smile, so grateful. Tears are in the man’s eyes, and wouldn’t find it hard to fall.

“The Star Breather had given him another life. Another chance to serve Him. To love the people of Gainel, as he had his whole being. Now, he got to meet those he had given himself for. He got to be loved, cursed, and rejected by them. But he was loved.” Nithel breathes, shoulder aching where it had been cut, and he rolls it, being careful not to tap it against another tiny blade. But it doesn’t help, his shoulder stiffening.

And the star was grateful. So very grateful. That he had been chosen for this grace. Nithel added in his mind. He lowered his head, silent, feet walking on.

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Jericho listened silently as the man told his story.  She could tell from the way he spoke, and the way his emotions quavered, that this was not any story; it was his.  She did hear the small grunt of pain uttered but she waited for him to finish before interrupting.

“Nithel, my friend,” she murmured softly, quiet enough only he could hear, “are you hurt?  I can help, if I may.”

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Skylarynn.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio stared at the slow trickle of blood inches down his friend’s shoulder. That was an accident, but…Nithel cleared his throat thickly and Alessio’s heart jolted slightly, realizing this wasn’t going to be just any story.
    “There once was a star. This star was bright and wise. His feet had danced on the knee of the handle his whole being. A breath that had lasted thousands of years.”
    A cord stung inside Alessio, like the memory of something he never saw. For a second he wondered if it was a magically suppressed memory like the other-…no, but the memories of the soul. They told him gifteds, chosens…every soul touched this, before memory existed.
    “Over a span of two months, he felt himself getting hotter. His body became brighter. His song to the Star Breather came out stronger than ever before. His ears could hear the praises of celestrials he’d never known existed.”
    It wasn’t a dream.
    Tears spring to his eyes so suddenly Alessio couldn’t push them away, he couldn’t even try. It was there, fire. ‘Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, and before you were born I consecrated you’ It was like fire that burned through his bones and he couldn’t hide it, or stop it, or control it. It was so beautiful and so beyond all that could humanly be contained, it tore him beyond just pain.
    ‘There is in my heart as it were a burning fire shut up in bones’
    “His world knew no night. The star’s eyes could see to the ground of Gaenil, he could see the man, their faces. And he knows why.” Alessio knew too. “He is about to go out.”
    Because it’s too much, too far beyond, like fire that burns and burns and burns, and it destroys him as it becomes part of him or does he…? It was not a dream, and it was not from the mortal world.
    “The star sings louder, feeling a painful cold rush through his chest. Like a dagger, this chill aches inside him. The star’s glowing body beginning to dissolve within him. He cries, for the pain of the frost cuts like a jagged blade along his soul. He weeps with his song.
    He is dying, and knows it.

His mouth is charry, and he cries out to the One who made him. “Alhamd lilah aladhi yhibuna!”
    His wrinkled chin lifts, his snow-white hair beginning to glow for the first time in a millennia.
    Then he gives a prayer of thanks to his Creator.” Nithel…? Alessio couldn’t hear the rest of the story, it tore– He could feel the sticky trail down his cheeks to the tears touching his chin.
    “The chords struck the heart of Jacine, the first light and warmth of Gaenil. The agonizing, though beautiful, hopeful tones reach the ears of Vinia, the great high star of the upper galaxy; Young, and twinkling like a thousand of her predecessors in one.
    But, most important, the song of praise reached the deepest being… of the Star Breather.
    The Holy One quaked with sadness. He waited a day, then overcome, he went to his son. His hand the size of the galaxy did not startle the star as it caressed his head. It gave him peace.” A day. The only word to describe something so ephemeral in eternity. But that day where ‘time’ exists, just a different perspective of the same story but…The absence of Fire destroys and so does Its Presence.
    “The star sang out louder, stronger. Praises. His eyes burning like sapphires, and his tears were rivers of fire. A great roaring began inside him, feeling like fire. Ashes cascading and flying like storms within him.

“The star burst into a great nova. Bright colors of snow, sun, violet, river, and emerald flew in all directions. A wave of life swept out across the great expanse, giving new breath to the choir of beings about.” Nithel said “For new life comes from a star’s death.
    But the Lord of creation cupped the sparks in His Hands, a tear dropping down His cheek. The flames almost burning holes through His Spotless Palms as He carried His son to Gaenil.
    There, among rustling grass, and a slight breeze, awoke the star. He sat up, completely alone. But then he smiled.” Nithel…Alessio’s mind fell back to how Nithel had answered ‘what tragic backstory’ he had. It was a bittersweet tragic, joyful story like all stories worth telling.
    “The Star Breather had given him another life. Another chance to serve Him. To love the people of Gainel, as he had his whole being. Now, he got to meet those he had given himself for. He got to be loved, cursed, and rejected by them. But he was loved.”
    That was the end of the story, for now. Alessio watched Jericho whisper something to his friend. By now Alessio’s steps had slowed until they flagged to almost a halt. He blinked back the last lingering emotions, grateful for the dark. For several seconds he was quiet, until he was sure his voice wouldn’t break or give him away.
    “I know we haven’t gone very fair, but maybe we should rest here,” Alessio suggested, “for a while. Does anyone else have a story?”

Alessio wanted an opportunity to speak to Nithel alone, if his friend was willing.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“Nithel, my friend,” she murmured softly, quiet enough so only he could hear, “are you hurt?  I can help, if I may.”

The softness of the woman’s voice confused him. Badat waka’anaha tahtamu. Sadiqi qal … He looked back to the woman, a small grateful smile on his lips, “It will be alright. Thank you.” His voice was a bit raspy, but not too bad. He was about to ask how she could help when Alessio spoke.

Nithel’s eyes darted forward again.

“I know we haven’t gone very far, but maybe we should rest here for a while.” The youth’s voice was even. “Does anyone else have a story?”

Nithel smiled a bit more at Alessio’s question, ‘Another story’, eyes twinkling. The youth stopped, causing the rest of them to do the same, and looked back.

Nithel’s chest warmed a bit, trying make out Alessio’s face in the darkness. *thoughts and feelings, longing*

‘Stories have power. They will change you. It is your choice of how.’ 

———

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

“I know we haven’t gone very fair, but maybe we should rest here,” Alessio suggested, “for a while.”

As they sat down, Brendin lowered the pack of supplies.  The woman produced a bundle of kindling from presumably somewhere within the folds of her robe and set about arranging it to make a warm fire.  Once she had finished she cast a querying glance at Brendin.  He obliged; holding his palm towards the small pile of sticks, he channeled flames from the now-warm syne on his arm and lit the little campfire.  When he was reasonably assured that the fire had caught and would continue to burn he dissipated his own flames immediately and lowered his arm.  Then the man proceeded to rummage quietly through the bag of food and remained silent.

“Does anyone else have a story?”

Jericho smiled thinly, trepidatious rather than disingenuous.  “If we are telling stories,” she said, her voice clear but still feather-soft, “I have a few choice tales to tell.”  A pregnant silence fell when she finished speaking, and she became aware that the yellow pendant about her neck felt cold against her sternum.  But she ignored it.  “I will wait my turn if someone else wishes to proceed,” she told them, disturbing the anticipatory quiet ever so slightly.  Precaution is my disposition, I suppose, the woman thought solemnly, keeping the thought within her mental barriers.
    Though, another thought whispered from a deep corner of her mind, is it precaution, or fear of history repeating?

@kimlikesart
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Fire lept from the kindling. The heat was welcome in the cold. Nithel breathed once, and tried to roll his shoulder again, but it hurt and didn’t obey him. Rubama kunt sryeana jdana fi rafd almusaeadat. The pain wasn’t just in his shoulder anymore; it was spreading, stiffening his arm. He began moving his fingers, and kept doing so. A stoic mask covered his face.

Nithel sat near Alessio, being careful not to bump any more spikes. How are you friend? Nithel’s eyes were calm, concerned in a kind way.

“If we are telling stories,” Jericho spoke, and Nithel’s eyes lifted. “I have a few choice tales to tell.”

Are they happy? No, no… I’ll be silent… Nithel breathed once more, and lowered his eyes, grateful for Alessio’s nearness.

“I will wait my turn if someone else wishes to proceed,” She clarified, and Nithel almost smiled again.

He stared at the fire a moment. I’m not sure you want to hear another tale told in the Ten Cities. They all tend to be… rather emotional. That, or terribly full of lessons. Or both. But they are told often to anyone who will listen. Though, if ever stories ran dry with others, and they wished for more…

His eyes lifted to the woman, Please speak. He wanted to hear. Then Nithel’s eyes touch her’s. You are loved Woman. Nithel holds her eyes a moment more before scooting back, a bit closer to Alessio, and looking down. He still made his fingers roll.

—————-

@skylarynn
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nithel sat beside Alessio, who looked up and tried to smile. It was a very odd sensation for him, actually still feeling safe in close proximity to somebody. He uncurled a little but it felt weird and he wrapped his arms around his knees, not really sure what to do now.
    “If we are telling stories, I have a few choice tales to tell.” Jericho said, “I have a few choice tales to tell.”
    Alessio hadn’t heard very many happy stories, most of them were, well, more the cruel kind of ‘justice’. He lived in a warrior-class kingdom, that took itself very seriously.
    “I will wait my turn if someone else wishes to proceed,” Alessio imagined nobody would be listening to him if somebody else was telling a story. So maybe he could talk to Nithel. But he also felt really guilty in advance because wouldn’t Nithel want to hear the story? There wasn’t anything he needed to say, he wasn’t even sure what he wanted to say.
    Alessio watched his friend roll his fingers, his shoulder stiff. He had learned over the years that, somehow, some of his own injuries could be healed with fire. Fire wasn’t like an extra limb for him, it infused–or invaded–every aspect of him. But he wasn’t sure how fire worked with ‘normal’ people.
    Nithel scooted back closer to Alessio who blinked, trying not to instinctively tense, somewhat amazed by the idea of friendship. He sat up a little and stared at his friend’s injured shoulder wondering if…
    “Can I try something?” he whispered, hesitantly touching Nithel’s shoulder. Sometimes, it was possible for him to burn poisons out of his veins (which was really useful except it also made it that more obvious he was an ability-born), and heat could relax tight muscles in some situations–for him at least. His brother had told him (they were roughhousing) that his powers hurt like real fire but it didn’t actually burn him. It depended, his fire had its own personality.

Viewing 15 posts - 241 through 255 (of 269 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest