Fantasy Writers

City Seekers (Seekers of Londima)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@mischievous-thwapling,

You could use OREO’s character, Jason, if you’d like. He’s a child spy (the others don’t know about that if I remember right. Wait a minute, maybe they do. *shrugs*). Or, yeah, you could act as Melian. Or, you could make up one of your own. Up to you!

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
      ~AP

Jasmine
      @jasmine

@mischievous-thwapling if you want to make up you’re own character, Oreo’s character (Jason) could go missing until Oreo is able to join in again. Jason could pop up unexpectedly for some added drama!😛

I am afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Mischievous Thwapling
        @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone + @jasmine

Good ideas!! (Extra drama is always needed in story >:) )  I’ll think on it… Hmmm. I think I’ll leave Jason for OREO since she wants to join when she’s thirteen, but I have to consider the Melian thing or making one up.  Perhaps I will end up creating a character, since I doubt Melian would be in for the entire story (unless I’m missing something), though I do like the idea of acting as her, even if it’s only for a little bit.

Sorry! Totally thought aloud there!

Kindness is the language which the deaf can hear and the blind can see.
          ~Mark Twain

Mischievous Thwapling
          @mischievous-thwapling

Ok, I decided to act as Melian at least for a little bit.  Here’s her personality, and I’m pretty sure they haven’t old her their names yet, right?

Personality: ESTP

Strengths: Bold; rational and practical; original; perceptive; direct; sociable; can easily act one way to make someone think she feels that way, even if she doesn’t; energetic

Weaknesses: Insensitive; impatient; risk-prone; unstructured; may miss the bigger picture; defiant; sassy (I s’pose sassy is a weakness. I just didn’t really know where to put it XD)

Fears: Is deathly afraid of spiders since her older brother once put a gigantic tarantula on her face while she was sleeping; secretly afraid of the dark, too (I mean, isn’t she a little girl? :P); and now, I suppose hhborgens should be on the fear list, too.

Age: Dunno.. What? Eight? Nine? Ten? Seven? What do we mean by little girl?

Appearance: Ok, I dunno if you already described her, but for some reason I have a really clear picture of this sassy, slightly annoying, strawberry blonde. AKA Melian. So, if it’s my choice, I would say she looks like: Strawberry blonde hair; large blue eyes; pale; sharp nose; and of course pointy ears along with the whole elvish-looking bundle.

Do elves in this world have a certain look? I didn’t think so, but don’t be afraid to come across as rude if they do and you tell me so 😉

Ummm, am I forgetting something?

“She’s an elf!” the male elf holding her exclaimed.  His eyebrows shot so high up on his forehead that Melian wondered if they would shoot off his face.

“Of course I am,” she snorted, trying to sound bold and confident, but failing miserably.  Instead, Melian’s voice still shook a bit.  She wished that it wasn’t so obvious she had been crying.  “Who are you guys?”

That was short! Just didn’t know quite what to write.

~Mark Twain

Jasmine
            @jasmine

Age: Dunno.. What? Eight? Nine? Ten? Seven? What do we mean by little girl?

Heh heh, um … I think she was four. But your welcome (If it’s ok with everyone else) to switch her age! I wouldn’t like it my character was a toddler so I understand if you want to make her older.😉

“We” said Holly as she took the young elf out of lagorons arms and into her own lap “are some nice people who are going to help you.” Holly tucked a strand of the girls hair behind her ear ” my name is Holly. what is yours?”

I am afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Mischievous Thwapling
              @mischievous-thwapling

@jasmine

Oops XD Lol. What does everybody else think about that, then?

Melian stared up at Holly with furrowed brows, thinking.  “I’m Melian,” she said slowly.  “You can help me, then?  Help find Mommy?  And what are their names?”  she added, pointing at the rest of the group.  “And can I pet your horsey?” she asked as she warmed up to the group.  “What’s its name?  And what’s that horsey’s name?” Melian chattered.  She jabbed her small finger at the male elf’s steed.

You don’t have to respond to all her questions. I just figured that a little girl (whatever age we decide) would ask stuff like that (especially the horse questions XD)

~Mark Twain

Joelle Stone
                @joelle-stone

@jasmine,

That’s what I thought, except I was thinking more around 6 (so she can talk coherently, lol).

@mischievous-thwapling
                  : Good job! I can tell this is going to be fun. 😉 And nice quote (I’m learning ASL so it’s even cooler). 🙂

Lagoron handed the little girl over to Holly as Radiance began to get skittish. The little elf chattered with pleasure, obviously not too scared of her new companions.

“You can help me, then? Help me find Mommy? And what are their names? And can I pet your horsey? What’s its name? And what’s that horsey’s name?”

Holly laughed, and Lagoron did too. “This is Lander,” the minstrel said. “And yes, you can pet him. That other horse is Radiance. She’s Lagoron’s – the other elf’s- sister’s horse. That is Jason, and this is Arla. Who are you?”

The girl smiled so wide that her rosy cheeks bunched up under her sparkling blue eyes. She quickly stopped, though, as her bruised face protested. “Melian,” she replied. “Where’s Mommy?”

Lagoron exchanged a glance with Holly. “Who is your mother?”

“Naldiel,” Melian replied. “At least, that’s what everyone else calls her. Everyone at home. I did once, but she got mad so I call her Mommy. And she makes really really good soup. And cookies. And she’s so pretty. And she tells the best stories! She tells me about my daddy, who died, and about my brother, who died, and about our old home, Londima, wh0-”

Everyone glanced wildly at one another in shock. Not only was the little girl using improper grammar, but she’d lived in Londima? What luck!

“Where do you live now?” Arla demanded. “Can you show us?”

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
                  ~AP

Kylie Wingfeather
                  @kylie-wingfeather

Hi everyone!

*Trying to control herself from squealing but completely failing*

My family got a PUPPY!!!!!!!!

His name (most likely to be changed; it’s the name the rescue gave him.) is Hendrix and he is a 8-9 week old pit-bull-mix puppy. He is the CUTEST thing!

"He was still. And he was loved."

~The Warden and the Wolf King, The Maker

Kylie Wingfeather
                    @kylie-wingfeather

On a different topic…

I was looking at the copy of this story that my mom made and I came across this:

…little orphaned girl who escaped from her evil guardian (Alva???), and just happened to be running by and got in the way of a kick from the Hhborgen that was aimed at one of the Five. They end up taking her along when they discover that there is no nearby village where she can stay.

So, was she living with her mother or her guardian? I did have the idea that she was living with her mother up until recently before Mr. Not-Nice-Guardian-Who-Isn’t-Really-Melian’s-Guardian showed up, knocked her unconscious, and when she woke back up at his house, he told her that the village had been destroyed (it hadn’t.) and she was going to live with him from now on.

@joelle-stone

My character’s name is Nora.

Kylie Wingfeather
                      @kylie-wingfeather

@mischievious-thwapling

They do know that Jason is a spy.

Kylie Wingfeather
                        @kylie-wingfeather

Hmmm. Didn’t work.

@mischievous-thwapling

Kylie Wingfeather
                          @kylie-wingfeather

Yes! *Punches the air in delight*

Joelle Stone
                            @joelle-stone

Ok… so why didn’t it post…

@kylie-wingfeather

A puppy?!? COOL! What kind? What gender? What personality? How much cuteness?

And Nora. Duh. *facepalm* Sorry!

On another note, I think your idea for what happens to Melian is a good idea, and more complicated (but not yet confusing), so of course better (in my opinion). 😉

~AP

Mischievous Thwapling
                              @mischievous-thwapling

@kylie-wingfeather

A PUPPY!!!!!!!! AWESOME!! I second all of Kinnan’s questions.

And gotcha on the spy thing.

Everyone:
                                So are we doing the original story for Melian then? Cause I really like it and think it’s a good idea!

~Mark Twain

Joelle Stone
                                @joelle-stone

I think we’re doing Kylie’s idea:

I did have the idea that she was living with her mother up until recently before Mr. Not-Nice-Guardian-Who-Isn’t-Really-Melian’s-Guardian showed up, knocked her unconscious, and when she woke back up at his house, he told her that the village had been destroyed (it hadn’t.) and she was going to live with him from now on.

How does that sound to you, Thwapling?

——————————

@mischievous-thwapling

~AP

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 63 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest