fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.0

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,512 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Sahar

The tall man glared at us and I smiled. He was holding two swords, and I studied them with admiration. I had only used swords once or twice, but I did like them. They were almost as pretty as knives.

”Well it’s lovely to make your acquaintance,” the man drawled, looking both of us up and down. “Sorry to be the one to break this to you but you have just ended up on a one-way trip to a place known as hell. Which you are in right now. So I wouldn’t be so chirpy if I were you human.”

He towered over us both, even though I was standing on the rock. I rose to tiptoes, hoping he wouldn’t notice. He was even taller than Liorah, maybe even as tall as Gavril.

“Hell? Eternal suffering?” Acyn echoed, sounding only mildly put-off. “You mean Mondays? Because they fit the description.”

“It’s Monday?” I asked. I had thought it was Thursday, but this wasn’t the first time I’d gotten confused.

“Sounds like it,” Acyn commented.

The man strode forward and was clearly making a point of towering over us. Was he trying to intimidate us? I wrinkled my forehead dubiously. Whatever for?

”They call me the Phantom Ranger,” he said. “But seeing as we’re all going to be living together in eternal suffering, you may call me Lorcan.”

I beamed at him.

“Phantom Ranger? That’s a nice name! But I like Lorcan better,” I said, cheerfully.

“I don’t know how we’re expected to endure more than one Monday,” Acyn said, still stuck on that interpretation of hell.

Lorcan seemed taken aback. His appearance and dramatic title seemed tailored to be as frightening as possible. It was rather odd, since he didn’t feel like a naturally scary person. He was nice enough to introduce himself, after all.

“I like your coat,” I said, cheerily. It was a very nice one, with brassy buckles, buttons and fittings that caught the light. I liked sparkly things as much as any magpie.

Lorcan now seemed even more surprised. In my experience, people were seldom as scary as they seemed. If someone was deliberately trying to seem intimidating, they were usually just more vulnerable and hurt than they were willing to let on. Liorah was a prime example. People like that were interesting, and I liked them.

Acyn seemed far more interested in Lorcan’s swords, or more specifically, what was on them.

“Let me see a show of hands, who has green blood?” he asked, ironically. Everyone seemed mildly astonished, but nobody replied.

“That means it belongs to one of the animals and there’s no natural sunlight, although it seems to indicate photosynthesis, I’ve never heard of animals– hemoglobin is red and how else would–” Acyn trailed off, thoroughly confused.

“Alternate oxygen-binding protein,” I suggested, absently. I had been hanging around Acyn long enough to pick up on most of his areas of interest. It was fascinating, and he was good at explaining if I didn’t understand something.

“I mean– what else,” Acyn said, absently. With this mystery resolved as far as possible, he turned to more immediate matters.

“Do you have severe allergies?” he asked Lorcan, jumping onto an entirely different subject.

Lorcan stared at him as though he was insane.

“Or is the mask just for dramatic effect?” Acyn asked, to clarify.

“An excellent reason, either way,” I said, cheerily. “Most of the things I do are for dramatic effect!”

Acyn nodded, emphatically.

@irishcelticredflowercrown

Now it’s Lorcan’s edginess versus Sahar’s eternal optimism and Acyn’s blunt curiosity XD Let the games begin XD

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Neasa

@calidris

Of course!  Let me know if you end up liking it    I’ve had all three of those recommended to me.  I’ll have to look into it.  I didn’t really like the sound of Fullmetal Alchemist’s plot either, and I’ve heard that AoT is incredibly violent.  But, I’ve also heard that it’s an amazing story with great themes and characters, so we’ll see!

AoT is quite violent, so if you are very sensitive to that kind of thing, don’t watch it of course. There are shows that glorify violence and there are those that portray it realistically in a way that doesn’t glorify it. Personally I think that AoT falls with the latter, though it depends who you’re talking to. But I always think of it as a reflection of reality in a way, and it gets you thinking. Its a show that digs into the realities of war, which I find fascinating. You see terrible things in wars, atrocities are committed and lives are lost. People fighting in them often have to make horrific decisions, like allowing some people die in order to save countless others. AoT is a sort of a what if scenario – what if human eating giants appeared out of nowhere? And I think it does it super accurately. This is gonna sound very philosophical, but I see it as an interpretation of our very human fear of things that are bigger than us, be it animals, mountains, heights, oceans, or things like big exams, school, university, challenges and the unknown. So I think its probably one of the most human stories ever written

And yeah it has some great themes, like friendship, self-sacrifice, fighting for humanity, not giving up etc. And I also appreciate the fact that later on in the show, it warns against indoctrinating children. And all of the characters are just plain brilliant, cause they’re just so well written! So I do recommend it, its a great show 🙂

Also, Mayra sounds like a really interesting character!  I think it’s really interesting how she doesn’t try to justify the bad that she did, which could be really easy given her circumstances.  I’m a huge fan of the redemption arc, and I especially love seeing a hurting character be healed.  She seems like her redemption arc will be really interesting!  And I’m definitely looking forward to Misu and Lorcan’s interactions as well!

Thanks so much! She’s such a hard character to write, but at the same time, I see a part of me in her, because I think we all do bad things that we try to justify. But I think Mayra also victimizes herself in a way because of the bad things that happened to her, and uses that as an excuse to not step and become a hero. Its a bit hard for me to explain, so I’ll do it in a meme form.

This would be Book 1 in a nutshell:

Rebels: You have been gifted with a great power. Use it to save humanity!

Mayra: I can’t! I have been derided and abused my whole life. I don’t want to help anyone, just myself. I am a bad person. Let me cry in a corner and feel sorry for myself.

Everyone else: Are you kidding me?! You have been given a great power and you want to waste it? You ungrateful thing. We’ve all done bad things in our lives, but that doesn’t mean we stand by while humanity is dying. Get up right now, or I will drag you by the hair.

Does that make sense haha XD I still get very confused when it comes to personal desires, misbeliefs and motivations for my characters. Am I the only one who feels like that? Lol

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Now it’s Lorcan’s edginess versus Sahar’s eternal optimism and Acyn’s blunt curiosity XD Let the games begin XD

Oh. My. Gosh XD XD XD!!! Bahahaha this is brilliant!! I am going to have a field day with these two, I love them already XD

Lorcan

“Phantom Ranger? That’s a nice name! But I like Lorcan better,” the girl said brightly.

Lorcan squinted at her, considering whether she was serious or if she was insulting him. Before he could respond, the boy added, “I don’t know how we’re expected to endure more than one Monday.”

Oh trust me, Lorcan said silently. Mondays have not nothing on this. Though he wasn’t entirely sure if this was the biggest nightmare he had ever been forced into. He had faced many nightmares. From the age of six, the moment he had been sent away to be fostered by another noble family, he had been trained to become the best of the best warriors. He had been beaten, starved, whipped, deprived of any sleep, forced to survive in the worst climates possible, until they were sure that he had hardened up. Until they were sure that they had created the greatest warrior the world had ever seen.

So no. This wasn’t the worst thing he had ever faced. He wasn’t sure he could say the same about the two newcomers though.

“I like your coat,” the girl told him, smiling.

O-kay. Lorcan tilted his head at her in surprise. He had been prepared for another Liorah – at worst. The girl – Sahar was it – seemed to have a level of optimism that was akin to spouting rainbows and unicorns.

The boy was staring innocently at his swords, his mouth agape. Lorcan raised an eyebrow, smiling slightly. He was going to wait until the boy asked before he was going to boast about he earned those swords. And then how he had trained with them night and day for years and years until he had mastered them.

Instead the boy blurted, “Let me see a show of hands, who has green blood?”

Right. Lorcan exchanged looks with his companions and raised his eyes up to the heavens. They seemed to have two naiive imbeciles on their hands.

“That means it belongs to one of the animals and there’s no natural sunlight, although it seems to indicate photosynthesis, I’ve never heard of animals– hemoglobin is red and how else would–” the boy trailed off.

“Alternate oxygen-binding protein,” Sahar added.

“I mean– what else?”, the boy said. “Do you have severe allergies?” he asked Lorcan, turning back to him.

Lorcan stiffened, ire rising up in him. Allergies? What on earth…? Lorcan gritted his teeth. The very idea of allergies was insulting to him. He had been forced to learn how to consume anything and everything during his training years. When he was just twelve, had been abandoned in the middle of a forest during wintertime and left to survive on his own for three months. Food was scarce in that particular forest, so he had eaten anything he could find. Yes – anything. Allergies were the least of his concerns.

“Or is the mask just for dramatic effect?” the boy added.

His mask? Lorcan just about prevented a shout of laughter from erupting from his chest. They thought his mask was due to – allergies. Allergies? Indignation rose up in him – as well as a bit of panic. For the possible desecration of his own dignity. Was that what people thought when they saw him? Not – oh no, its the Phantom Ranger, everyone run, hide, fall to your knees and beg for mercy, AAAAAH!, but instead – oh jeeney mackers, would you look at that lad now with the mask on, he must have allergies, the poor little lamb?

His mouth fell open in horror. Did they truly think-

No! Get a hold of yourself man! He silently shook himself out of his initial shock before he could start recounting everyone he had ever encountered and their reactions to him. He did not look ridiculous at all. He looked intimidating.

“An excellent reason, either way,” the girl said cheerfully. “Most of the things I do are for dramatic effect!” The boy nodded at her statement.

Lorcan breathed out through his nose slowly, willing himself to be calm and collected. Then he bent forward slightly to look them dead in the eye. “I wear it because it is forbidden for anyone to see my true face,” he said softly. “As an assassin of the High Queen, I must conceal my identity from those who wish to kill me. Which is basically everyone I have ever encountered. I am her Royal Majesty’s shadow – and shadows do not have faces. Those who are unlucky enough to happen to glimpse my face, I must immediately dispose of them. That is my code – it is what is required of me.”

He straightened up, smirking under his mask. Now the two newcomers looked slightly intimidated. “But the dramatic effect is a welcome bonus,” he continued. “It helps me get the job done.”

He jerked his chin at the boy. “And you? Boy with an interest in green blood. What do they call you?”

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ohmygoodness, that was hysterical! I laughed so hard!

Liorah has been trying for the past hours to offend Lorcan as much as possible but hasn’t gotten beyond mild annoyance, and Sahar and Acyn had one (1) friendly conversation and embarrassed, offended, and confused him beyond reason and I think that’s beautiful XD

The girl – Sahar was it – seemed to have a level of optimism that was akin to spouting rainbows and unicorns.

Yeah, that’s accurate XD

They seem to have this talent for driving every conversation in the most random direction possible XD

Ahaha, let’s see what happens next!

Acyn

I watched with extreme amusement as Lorcan was literally struck breathless by my suggestion. It had been mostly sarcastic but he apparently hadn’t picked up on it. This was even better than I thought.

He stared from me to Sahar, trying desperately to hide his bewilderment. He was utterly flabbergasted. Flabbergasted was one of my favorite words and I felt a hint of satisfaction at being able to use it.

Finally, he turned back to me and stared me dead in the eyes. Oh, staring competition? I could win this one, without a doubt. I stared right back at him, barely raising an eyebrow.

“I wear it because it is forbidden for anyone to see my true face,” he said, softly, trying to sound intimidating but succeeding mostly in sounding as if he had bronchitis. I didn’t comment on it. It was rude to antagonize people within the first hour, a lesson Liorah had yet to learn.

“As an assassin of the High Queen, I must conceal my identity from those who wish to kill me. Which is basically everyone I have ever encountered. I am her Royal Majesty’s shadow – and shadows do not have faces. Those who are unlucky enough to happen to glimpse my face, I must immediately dispose of them. That is my code – it is what is required of me.”

At least he was committed to his persona. Phantom ranger, faceless shadow, must dispose of everyone who glimpses his face. He had really spent some thought on this.

I barely suppressed a smile, which was both nervous and genuinely amused. The situation was somewhat hyperbolic and contextually ridiculous, but he was an assassin. Theoretically.

He glanced back to Sahar, who looked slightly scared. That was a nice touch. He really was putting a lot of effort into this, it would be rude to disappoint him. Sahar was nothing if not an excellent actress, and by extension, an excellent liar.

We had both succeeded in reassuring him that he was sufficiently frightening and he straightened.

“But the dramatic effect is a welcome bonus,” he continued. “It helps me get the job done.”

Did he just frighten people to death? That sounded scientifically unfeasible. I needed Sahar’s help on this one.

“Does dramatic effect fall under science?” I asked, under my breath.

“It’s an art, so I guess not,” she whispered back.

So it didn’t need to adhere to science, but to the guidelines of art. That made sense. Perhaps the guidelines of art included people dying of drama. Or he might just use the swords. Either way.

Now convinced he had established his persona, Lorcan nodded in my direction, confidence completely restored. That was a pity. Seeing him flounder had been amusing.

“And you? Boy with an interest in green blood. What do they call you?”

His questions were vague and inaccurate, and I immediately set about correcting them.

“My interests extend well beyond green blood, though the potential existence of a secondary oxygen-binding protein is fascinating, scientifically speaking.”

I barely checked myself before launching into an excited discourse about it. He wasn’t interested, and though that had never stopped me before, now wasn’t the time for that.

“Most people refer to me as ‘Hey, you’ or not at all,” I said, in complete honesty. “With the exception of certain of my friends, who are determined to refer to me only by exaggerated and continually shifting insults.”

Sahar giggled. We both knew I was talking about Liorah. To be fair, the determination was mutual, and I had come up with quite a list of creative and mildly offensive insults. We both appreciated it.

Lorcan seemed both impatient and confused. I raised an eyebrow and smiled. If he had wanted my name he should have asked for it directly. Taking things literally to the point of being ridiculous was a fine form of humor very few appreciated, so I added,

“But you can call me Acyn.”

Sahar had sat still for almost eight seconds so she bounced up from where she had settled on the boulder and spun in a circle, either surveying the area or admiring the swirl of her skirt, I would never know.

Finally, she stopped dizzily.

“Odd place,” she commented, cheerily.

The landscape was indeed nothing like the city I was used to, and not even like the desert.

“So it seems,” I agreed. I absently untied the ties that held my sleeves up. My arms and fingers were stained with black splotches of ink, but the ties meant my shirt had stayed relatively spared.

“Would you be kind enough to inform us for what purpose we have fallen here?” I asked Lorcan.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

calidris
    @calidris

@rose-colored-fancy alright!  I’m warning you, this is long!

So basically, Spire is about a city under the control of a corrupt corporation.  The city of Spire is located in a sort of territory under a bigger nation, but with very little governmental oversight, which is how the situation got so bad (btw, if you want a slightly similar situation irl, read Black Death at the Golden Gate – it’s a very fascinating and yet sad chapter of US history that’s very little known.  It’s so good!).  This territory has rich natural resources, including an element that collectively makes up the Veil (the fabric of reality).  Because of this, Spire has been producing weapons for it’s country in a sort of cold war arms race scenario.  The main character, Saskia, and the main antagonist, Sasha Gunnerside/The Shrike are two of many super soldiers who were developed after the rival nation (Kardova) reportedly began developing one of it’s own.  Sasha was the best of these soldiers, but he wasn’t perfect – and that’s where Project Goldenseal comes into play…

So, as the poster child for this whole program, Sasha was invited to this fancy dinner thing, and having admired Saskia for awhile (but never actually spoken to her), he asks her to come as a date 🙂

And it’s all going really well, there’s chemistry and mutual respect, and eventually he mentions that he’s been selected to participate in a rather cutting edge experiment.  He confides in her that he’s scared, even though he’s been assured that there’s no risk of harm.  Saskia suggests that maybe they meet again afterwards, and that instead of being scared of the experiment he should look forward to going on another date, and besides, how wrong can it really go?

Well, neither of them were quite sure about that last one, but of course they weren’t going to say it.

The goal of Project Goldenseal was to see if a few of Sasha’s quirks could be ironed out by manipulating the Veil.  Perhaps, an alternate reality could be created where he was big and strong enough to match Kardova’s Vasily, or be loud and boisterous like Vasily, or, you know, just be better than Kardova’s precious super soldier in every way.  And it worked, kind of…

An alternate reality did come into being that night.  And his name was Sasha Gunnerside.

In the following chaos, many of the super soldiers did escape, including Saskia, who becomes a bounty hunter obsessed with the idea of hunting surveillance androids, and the Red Lady, who becomes obsessed with the idea of killing Saskia (that’s a whole different plot line that I’m not going to go into right now, but if you want I can tell you 🙂 )

So basically the plot picks up when Saskia gets hired by a resistance cell trying to stop the production of a super bomb that could potentially create rifts in the Veil, and as they pick up party members (like Misu, who kind of accidentally got sucked into the whole thing lol) they soon discover that Sasha, now the Shrike, is intent on erasing Spire from reality in order to undo all of the harm it did to him and countless others.  The others are forced to make a decision: to let Spire and its citizens face the consequence of decades of corruption and willing ignorance, or to save it.

To save it even though it will never change, even though no one will ever thank them, even though for all purposes it doesn’t even want to be saved at all.

To save Spire, simply because it’s the right thing to do.

And of course that’s what they decide!

I’m sorry for the rambling, I’m not quite sure how to make it concise lol.  I’m still working out a lot of the quirks in the story and setting, and it’s still far from finished.  I can honestly say though, these character castles have been such a huge help, especially with finding out more about the Shrike (I didn’t actually know that much about him as a character prior to entering him into the villain castle)

Also, don’t worry, it has a happy ending!

What’s the plot of Liorah’s story?

*laughs as one fey*

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@calidris

Man, that’s the coolest premise! I love it!! It’s totally something I would read/play! Your explanation is awesome! I love how you developed the setting and how Sasha isn’t your traditional kinda villain. He seemed really cool from what I’ve seen of him in the character castle. (Also, love the names!)

What’s the plot of Liorah’s story?

I’m going to keep it spoiler-free because @this-is-not-an-alien and I are beta-reading for each other and I want to see if I can shock her with the plot twists XD

As you probably know, Liorah is the princess of the Lehabim, one of the seven tribes that live in Yerasht. She’s second in line to the throne, with her older brother Gavril being the crown prince. Their father died sometime before the plot, so their uncle is the Regent until Gavril is old enough to be coronated.

Liorah is the main character, but Gavril is technically one as well since a large part of the plot revolves around him. He’s essentially the only person keeping their family together since Liorah is very distant from their mother and uncle. (There’s a deeper backstory reason for this, but I’m not going to get into that now XD)

Liorah and Gav are very close. Liorah thinks Gavril is the only person who really cares about her, and Gavril thinks Liorah is the only person who doesn’t expect him to change the world by himself. (Though he has a way less cynical view of the world in general.)

The inciting incident is when an enemy tribe, the Kezbes, attacks the Lehabim on the night of Gavril’s coronation. Gavril is captured and held hostage, with the Kezbe king trying to force the Lehabim to surrender so he can eventually conquer all the other tribes.

The war is completely irrelevant to Liorah. She barely cares about it, the entire plot is just her doing absolutely everything she can to get Gavril back. And picking fights with absolutely everyone in existence as a result of unresolved childhood trauma that caused hyper-independence. (I can’t really showcase this properly in the Characters castle, it’s way worse in canon XD Take my word for it, it’s bad, an absolute mess.)

In my first draft, it was more of a plot-driven story, but in my second, the plot is completely taking a backseat to Liorah’s development. It’s very much character-driven now, and I honestly prefer it.

Liorah’s internal journey is mostly about resolving her trauma by learning that she can trust other people and that she does need help. Besides that, there are a lot of dramatic fight scenes, Acyn and Sahar being the best characters in the background, awesome villains, and Liorah being extremely sassy every three seconds.

And it’s a trilogy, so the first book (Gilded Blood) creates a heap of conflict that gets solved in the second, (Shadow Shards), and the second creates conflict that will get solved in the third (Smoke Circlet) 🙂

I hope that made some sense 🙂

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

FINISHED!!!!!! In the most…hypothetical sense of the word. Oh goodness I have a lot to reply to and I haven’t even started! 😂😂😂

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

YES!!! I LOVE IT! Aww, Rosy’s wearing Ehud’s ribbon! That’s such a characteristic conversation for them though XD Wowwww, it’s so cool!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Also, I realized I just completely forgot about the picture of Liorah I promised XD Here it is!

Man, this is kinda old. I could totally do better now XD

Neasa

@rose-colored-fancy

Finally.

I know what Lorcan‘s arch nemesis looks like… Beware!😅

Its such a pretty drawing, you‘re so good!

Btw I was working on the next part of the Story, and I sent it off, but something went wrong, it obviously didn’t save or something…

so now I must rewrite it! The horror😭

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

And it’s really low-quality XD I actually did a more recent picture of her! I decided it would be fun to draw a modern version of my characters! (And come on, she looks awesome.)

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Its such a pretty drawing, you‘re so good!

Aww, thank you so much!

Btw I was working on the next part of the Story, and I sent it off, but something went wrong, it obviously didn’t save or something…

Aah, that’s such a pain!!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Also, I have no idea what’s going on in your story, but it sounds really interesting!  What’s it about?  I really want to know what happened  to Rosy (and Ehud) in the past – they’re really fascinating characters!  It’s ok if you don’t want to spoil it, though

Oh thanks! Oh Misu’s pic was soo cute I wanna pick him up and hug him!! I love my little munchkins I could talk about them forever (no serious, so pls stop me if I over-info-dump XDD). Ok so Rosy–or Rosario de Vera Cruz–was a child assassin for several years before Ehud (just Ehud idk if anybody knows his last name, although every so often he tells me he’s Ehud Gale but idk if that’s an actual name or if he just liked the sound of it or something) and her met. Her dad was a spy from one kingdom and she was kidnapped by the other kingdom for leverage and at this point he thinks she’s dead and anyway, she was trained by the spies from the other kingdom that kidnapped her and at thirteen she escaped and fell off the grid after Ehud (age twelve at the time) saved her from killing herself and since then they’ve been practically family and she’s been diagnosed as a sociopath before but idk and she doesn’t know whether that’s true or not but she is very disconnected from any feelings of remorse most of the time and that’s what made her so good at her job before so she has some anger issues and a lot of PTSD and is generally closed off and constantly tries to isolate herself the more she’s hurting.
    Ehud is a very upbeat, happy-go-lucky ADHD kleptomaniac who lives with his brother, Enoch, and works for a bar bouncer Gheon (who’s hysterical), but he has a lot of abandonment issues because his mom left them with their drug-addicted dad when he was very young and then his brother got him to run away with him and start a new life away from their parents. He is so adorable and quirky and I LOVE him.
    Right now in this castle–it’s not actually cannon and pretty much zero of the setting is from the actual story–but it’s a sorta surrealist narrative which I started ONLY to get them to kiss A COUPLE MONTHS AGO. But it’s kinda part two to the “worst fear” exercise waaaay earlier in the Castle (he’s…actually been here since my brother started the castle like…maybe a year ago now…) and it started with this hypothetical world that’s attempting pretty much the communist utopia where no one grieves anybody dying because the government erases all memory of that person the moment they die and everything’s about supplying everybody with a “good non-traumatic environment” and then everything kinda developed so much I don’t even know what’s going on anymore…XDD. But right now they’re on the Bridge which is where they met in the real world and there’s two mirrored towers; one that’s broken and one that isn’t and they have to choose between them to escape and they kinda got sidetracked thinking they were about to die and I’ve actually got EVERYTHING I wrote for this castle on a PagePlus publication here that I copy and paste to StoryEmbers cos limited Internet so I could actually email you a pdf of this whole mini-story if ya want?
    (I was actually talking to my brother/co-writer, @rusted-knight about this earlier but I was thinking of doing a newletter thingamuwhat for this story when I pull them out of the Castle if enough people were interested…? 🙂 )

ok, so there’s kind of this issue where I’m not actually going to write Spire into a book becasue my dream is to make it into an rpg video game but I don’t know how that’s going to happen sooo…

OH I’D PLAY THAT I’LL HELP YOU ANIMATE AND GAMEPLAY!!!!!
    Lol I can’t even animate my teddybear that detached from its rigging while still moving and then literally jerked its body like it was hanging itself right after waving to me (which was the only motion I wanted it to do!)

That’s such a Meira thing to do XD Poor Alessio XD

LOL IKR!?!

LOL, I love them too! XD He’s hysterical XD

LOL I was almost disappointed when I saw “Sahar” 1st Person cos Acyn was so good and I didn’t know how you could top that and then I started reading it and that was SO FUNNY!!!! *(btw he’s obviously wearing the mask cos it’s 2021, being made fun of for being a good citizen, shame for shame :P)*

LOL, I went all-out with the awkwardness XD They’re useless, I love it XD (And yes! My ship name caught on XD) AND OHMYGOODNESS!! WE HAD A “because I love you!” SCENE!!! OhhHHHhh!!! I LOVE IT!!

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THEM TO ACTUALLY KISS AND ME HAVE FINISHED SOMETHING LOL!!!!
    The Liorran ship is going to BURN LOL!!!!

OOh, that’ll be brilliant! He and Sahar would be such a fun dynamic XD (Man, what I wouldn’t give to get Sahar, Misu, and Ehud in a room together XD Rosario and Acyn would die a little trying to keep them all on track XD)

Oh. *shiny new project syndrome screaming* XDD

YES!!! I LOVE IT! Aww, Rosy’s wearing Ehud’s ribbon! That’s such a characteristic conversation for them though XD Wowwww, it’s so cool!

Thanks! My sister actually burst out laughing looking over my shoulder at the early sketch before I’d even put in the dialogue and the moment I gave her the dialogue she said “Well wish granted if he has Rosario. And somebody better comment that” So. Here I am. Commenting that XDDD.
    And also
    YOUR PIC LOOKS SO GOOD IT’S GOT SUCH PRETTY COLORS AND YOU GOT HER HAND REALLY WELL AND THE HEADPIECE IS SOOO SHINY AND THE MIRROR LOOKS SO REAL I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND LIORAH HITTING STUFF IS SO LIORAH LOL!!!!!! (oooooooh I just love the gold sun-tanning of her hair every time!!!)

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

LOL I was almost disappointed when I saw “Sahar” 1st Person cos Acyn was so good and I didn’t know how you could top that and then I started reading it and that was SO FUNNY!!!! *(btw he’s obviously wearing the mask cos it’s 2021, being made fun of for being a good citizen, shame for shame :P)*

LOL, when they’re apart, Sahar and Acyn are forces of nature and absolute geniuses in their relative interests (Sahar with general trickery and getting out of things and being a generally amazing person. And Acyn with weirdly specific facts and nerdy stuff) but as soon as they’re together they dissolve into delightful chaos and fuel each other’s stupid side XD (Just wait until they’re with Liorah XD)

Actually, I’m going to take Liorah and Ferran out now. They’ve had their fun and I’m going to miss them so much but I can’t manage four of them at once XD (Especially not these four XD)

I CAN’T WAIT FOR THEM TO ACTUALLY KISS AND ME HAVE FINISHED SOMETHING LOL!!!!
    The Liorran ship is going to BURN LOL!!!!

I can’t wait either! It’ll be so cute!

LOL, yes, I’m going to use them for maximum drama *Evil laughter in the distance*

Thanks! My sister actually burst out laughing looking over my shoulder at the early sketch before I’d even put in the dialogue and the moment I gave her the dialogue she said “Well wish granted if he has Rosario. And somebody better comment that” So. Here I am. Commenting that XDDD.

LOL, YES! That’s just the cutest comic! They’re adorable!! *Squeals happily*

And also
    YOUR PIC LOOKS SO GOOD IT’S GOT SUCH PRETTY COLORS AND YOU GOT HER HAND REALLY WELL AND THE HEADPIECE IS SOOO SHINY AND THE MIRROR LOOKS SO REAL I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!
    AND LIORAH HITTING STUFF IS SO LIORAH LOL!!!!!! (oooooooh I just love the gold sun-tanning of her hair every time!!!)

Thank you so much!! LOL, yes, that’s the most in-character thing for her ever XD Thank you! It was a really random character design feature, but I really love it about her!

I was just randomly thinking about how much my character Gavril would like Lorcan XD I don’t know why, I just think they’d have a glorious time talking about swords and stuff XD He’s nice enough to allow Lorcan’s ego to remain unscathed and I think they’d actually get along really well.

And I know what you’re thinking but I promise he’s not like Liorah XD (Like I can manage two Liorahs. I can’t even manage one.) Literally, everyone who meets the other sibling for the first time is like “HOW can you be related?? Are you sure she isn’t adopted?” XD (It’s a brilliant dynamic and I love it XD)

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ferran

I hoped it was dark enough that Liorah couldn’t see me blushing. Why had I helped her up? What else should I have done? I didn’t like this at all. Why couldn’t things be different?

“Let’s get out of here,” Liorah said, rather brusquely.

She was mad, of course, she was mad. Was she? Was I supposed to apologize?

(Me: Someone help them, they’re clueless.)

Instead, I nodded and picked out the weakest spot in the wall and hit it with my staff as hard as I could. The impact vibrated through my hands and arms, shaking me down to my bones. I couldn’t suppress a mild exclamation of surprise.

Liorah took that as permission and cursed, loudly. It was a word I certainly wouldn’t have used.

The oddness of the situation struck me as immensely funny and I laughed. Who was the royal here?

Liorah tilted her head and gave me a quizzical smile. I instantly felt my face grow hot again as butterflies took over my stomach.

This was all a horrible mess. I should have known better than this. I did know better than this.

Liorah took my lack of action as a prompt and firmly planted one foot and rammed her other heel into one of the smaller boulders. She yelped and cursed again as she stumbled backward.

“Impressive,” I said, mockingly.

“Try it with your cane then,” Liorah said, spitefully. She had a tendency to lash out in spite whenever she felt criticized.

“It’s not a cane, but I’m sure I won’t be able to do better,” I said, trying to repair her ruffled temper.

Azar took it upon herself to get us out of this situation and began scratching at the rocks with great enthusiasm.

Liorah threw back her head, her loud laugh echoing off the boulders. I loved her laugh, even though it wasn’t particularly pretty. Nothing like silvery bells and rushing of water over rocks or whatever other poetic nonsense. It was occasionally inappropriately loud, but it was hers and it meant she was happy.

“That’s it! Clever girl!” she encouraged Azar, still grinning.

I chuckled but examined the stacked boulders more closely. We weren’t going to make any progress trying to dislodge them, we’d have to climb over. Liorah hated heights, this was going to be a nightmare.

Still, she’d climbed over the toppled building to reach me. It was far higher than she liked, but she’d still done it.

I shook my head, to drive out the unwelcome thoughts. Of course, she had, she was a decent person and she hadn’t wanted me to die. That was all.

“Liorah–”

“We’re going to have to climb, aren’t we?” The dread was thick in her voice.

“There’s no other way. I won’t let you fall, I promise,” I said, impulsively. It was a ridiculous promise but I intended to keep it.

“And Azar?” She peered around, searching, “Where– she was right here,”

I whistled, and Azar’s pointed face appeared beneath one of the boulders. Liorah fell to her knees.

“How’d you get there? It’s a passage!”

“She barely fits, we’ll still have to go over,” I said.

“We couldn’t try making it bigger?” Liorah asked, uncertainly.

“And have that entire pile of rocks fall on us? I’d rather not if you don’t mind.”

Liorah gave a deep sigh and jammed her first boot into the wall. I followed, slower. Despite her fear, she was a fast climber.

“Slow down,” I said.

Liorah didn’t look back.

“I’m just trying to get it over, try to keep up,” she said, hurriedly.

“Liorah, be careful, or you’ll–”

Her foot slipped on a loose boulder and slid down with a yelp. I reached out and caught her around the waist again.

“Thanks,” she said, breathlessly.

I looked away, shyly, as she climbed up, more carefully this time.

Finally, she reached the top and stopped. The light caught the loose strands of hair and made it glow like a halo. She looked down at me and reached out a hand to help me up.

I took her hand and she pulled me up. Her grip was calloused from her constant practice with swords and horses. I always forgot how strong she was. She smiled, and her eyes caught the light with the spark of that smile. I nearly lost my grip and mentally cursed myself.

The way down was easier, it was far more sloped. Before we went down again, I examined the area. It had died down a lot, the wolves and slime had diminished. Yet, there seemed to be a group near the middle. I caught a glimpse of swirling yellow and orange, like a dancing flame.

“Isn’t that–” I started.

Liorah laughed and called.

“Sahar!”

She swirled around, and certainly, it was Sahar. She grinned, as though she had just been handed the world.

“Hi, honey! You’re here!”

Liorah smiled and started to say something, but was interrupted by a familiar voice.

“Liorah, you stupid moron,” Someone said with heartfelt disgust and annoyance.

Acyn was here too. The announcement was like him. I hadn’t seen him past the group of others, including Lorcan and Misu.

“Hey, dumb nerd,” Liorah replied, without missing a beat.

Ah, the affection and appreciation between the two. I grinned.

“Oh, hello Ferran!” Sahar said, delightedly.

“You’re here too?” Acyn said, “Liorah dragged you into this, didn’t she?”

I laughed and nodded. Anything to encourage the flame of eternal sarcastic discourse between the two. It was highly amusing.

We slowly started on our way down and I mentally prepared myself for the playful argument between Acyn and Liorah and Sahar’s delighted gushing. Life as usual. Now I would have to take care of all three instead of just Liorah.

Viewing 15 posts - 1,171 through 1,185 (of 1,512 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest