-
J.A.Penrose started the topic Guild War : A Happy Ending…Minus the Cliché in the forum Announcements 7 years, 7 months ago
Parimis. The first guild war of 2019 has arrived! And I’ve got a good feeling about this one. (As in, we’re going to love it and go crazy.)
Prompt: Write a story with an Unclichéd Happy Ending. (BITTERSWEET ENDINGS DON’T COUNT.)
Word Limit: 2500
Starts: *awkward cough* Apparently Monday 4th EST
Ends: Monday 18th EST
(So s…[Read more]
-
Cassie Hartfinh started the topic 23 Things Authors Say in the forum Announcements 7 years, 7 months ago
@esjohnson
@coggleton
@julia
@silverclaw-bonnetfolly
@evelyn
@sarah-vdh
@steward-of-the-pen
@e-jo3
@emily-d
@writercatherine
@thewanderingtypewriter
@jade
@taylorclogston
@kaladinstormblessedHey, everyone!! I just wanted to announce that a couple friends and I just made a video titled “23 Things Authors Say”. Feel free to check it out, and…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Characters | Lesson 3 : The Motive in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 7 months ago
@coggleton I feel like you’re taking a character who is necessarily impossible to relate to on any level, and so… Well, I won’t say “I don’t think you’ll be able to create a reasonable backstory for him,” because I’m not implying you’re not skilled enough to do it, but I definitely have no clue how I would go about doing it myself, and I don’t…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Characters | Lesson 3 : The Motive in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton I still feel like for someone who’s been around for thousands of years, his plan is convoluted and petty. I can’t comprehend a human being so fixated on such an ethereal thing for such a ridiculously long time when he could probably get respect and honor from tons of people many times over in many more mundane ways.
I suppose his…[Read more]
-
Steward of the Pen replied to the topic Characters | Lesson 3 : The Motive in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Yes, I think those are understandable motives. My only question is, what happened in his past that led to him developing those motives?
-
Evelyn replied to the topic Characters | Lesson 3 : The Motive in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Hmm. I think that’s very interesting and they make sense to me.
-
Catherine Roche replied to the topic Characters | Lesson 4 : The Other Side in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Right! Good points.
-
J.A.Penrose started the topic Characters | Lesson 4 : The Other Side in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
A lot of the time, characters are written so that they are 100% good or bad. The protagonist is perfect, good looking, and maybe he has mild claustrophobia as a weakness. The villain is evil, kills puppies and shoots up old ladies in his spare time, and maybe every now and then he tortures someone who spilt his coffee instead of killing them.
If…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Check In – January Week 4 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Post-post-apocalyptic is probably my favorite setting, and Monster Hunter is one of my favorite series. I’m jealous =P
@ariella-newheart Interesting re:first person. Do you think it’s a matter of it being more immersive? I know some people have very strict preferences as to whether first or third person are better or should be used for…[Read more]
-
J.A.Penrose started the topic Characters | Lesson 3 : The Motive in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
The motive of your character is important. The motive is what drives your character forward, and makes every scene feel strong and meaningful. The character’s motive is what brings about the theme, and what pushes the plot along. Your plot is driven by your character’s motive. Therefore, the character motive could be the most important f…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Check In – January Week 4 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Understandable. Work usually comes first =P FATE is a great game and I hope you guys have fun. What setting are you using? Is it pure FATE or another game derived from it? I wish I could find some people willing to play it. We have a whole jar of fudge dice at my FLGS and I’d love to get some, but have no use for them outside of FATE.
-
Taylor Clogston started the topic Check In – January Week 4 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
What I read – Emmanuel by Angela R. Watts, some of The Fall of Gondolin by J.R.R. Tolkien, WAR by Sebastian Junger, Homeland: Legend of Drizzt: Dark Elf Trilogy, Book 1 by R.A. Salvatore, some of Haroun and the Sea of Stories by Salman Rushdie
What I wrote – Concept and some paragraphs of a short story I intend to submit to SE, some copywork of T…[Read more]
-
J.A.Penrose started the topic Characters | Lesson 2 : The Basics in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
I’m planning on treating this topic as a mini way of making sure that we all can get a fair idea of everything about characters from the super easy things, to the hard things that we all struggle with. (If you don’t, then goodness. Please teach me.)
Pretty much, the first thing I wanted to talk about is going back to the very basics of what a…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Check In – January Week 2 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton A friend of mine is reading TBK and said the same thing. I’m ashamed to say I’ve never read either >.> They intimidate me.
I would love a dedicated book on series writing from Weiland. The logic in her books can obviously be writ large upon a whole series, but I very frequently see people asking if she ever specifically mentions…[Read more]
-
J.A.Penrose replied to the topic No Lesson this Week, and Some Changes in the forum Announcements 7 years, 8 months ago
@cassie-hartfinh
@esjohnson
@coggleton
@julia
@silverclaw-bonnetfolly
@evelyn
@ariella-newheart
@sarah-vdh
@steward-of-the-pen
@e-jo3
@writercatherine
@thewanderingtypewriter
@jade
@taylorclogston
@calebonline
@write-owl
@obrian-of-the-surface-world
@pursuewisdom
@azeline-d
@anne_the_noob14
@trufflehunter
@rebecca-w -
PursueWisdom replied to the topic Check In – January Week 2 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
Wonderful discussion topic, sir! 🙂 Much thanks – this should help keep me more accountable in terms of my writing/reading.
What I Read: I’m currently reading The Brothers Karamazov and The Fiddler’s Gun by A.S. Peterson. Both are wonderful. I’ve not yet finished with either one yet though.
Also, I’ve been listening to an…[Read more]
-
anne_the_noob14 started the topic What do y'all think of my current WIP? in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
First off, I’m not sure if I’m doing this right…. :p Creating a topic, I mean. I’ve never done this, so if this is wrong, sorry! XD (and sorry if I missed tagging someone I should’ve… I still need to find like a list of people or something, lol)
So I started this short story, I suppose it is, on a whim yesterday night because I wanted to…[Read more]
-
J.A.Penrose started the topic Characters | Lesson 1 : What do You Know? in the forum Annual Theme Discussion 7 years, 8 months ago
Happy new year guys!
To be frankly honest, I was not expecting so much to have changed between this time last year and now. I mean, Story Ember’s didn’t even exist then. But anyways. That’s not what this lesson is about.
Before I get stuck into our new topic, I’d love everyone to tell me what they think about a few things. As you know, I’m…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston started the topic Check In – January Week 2 in the forum Parimi Alca Writing Discussions 7 years, 8 months ago
What I read – I finished reading Dune, started reading The Confession by John Grisham, Tenemental by Vikki Warner, and American Military History by Wesley K. Clark via The Great Courses. I picked up or was gifted a ton more book (biography, drama, essay, fantasy, magical realism, military scifi) but I doubt I’ll be reading these over the next t…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic How to get Protag involved in plot (aka help me with my conspiracy board) in the forum Critiques 7 years, 8 months ago
@coggleton Gotcha. That sounds like a completely different person to whom I was imagining =P I guess I don’t really have an idea how he’d act, then.
- Load More












