fb

Fantasy Writers

Research of less-than-desirable topics (wounds, wound complications, etc.)

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

@the-inkspiller

Thank you! I’d really appreciate that.  I need a day or two to tighten up the first part then I’ll send you the link.  I did start yours and it was very intriguing. I look forward to finishing up reading it.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@the-inkspiller Ah, gotcha. *nods*

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

@anne_the_noob14

Lol! Medicine’s a messy business and a field prone to the inflation of one’s head. I hope I haven’t come across as pedantic in my answers, but I surmise I’ve been useful. Also, if you desire beta-readers or critiquers for other parts of your story, lemme know. I quite enjoyed what I’ve read so far and would be delighted to read more!

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@the-inkspiller

No, not at all! At least, not in a bad way! *grins* (ok well technically being pedantic is bad, but you get my point, I hope XD)  And you’ve been very useful! 🙂 Ooh, I actually would love for you to read the rest! I will warn you though, it’s not finished… A friend read it the other day and was less-than-excited to learn I hadn’t any more written XD But if you’re ok with having to wait to read the finished product, here’s the link to as much as I have written: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1DEONnoORaGmLFlUoZ6lcJV3j4qWgVOuF05gbM5wLtLQ/edit?usp=sharing

(And anyone else who comes across this, feel free to read/comment!) I’ve highlighted parts of it to remind myself of things, and have a couple comments to myself, so those can be disregarded as you wish.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Livi Ryddle.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller *returns in official Begging Pose (TM)*

I has a character. . . who ends up in a pretty bad accident. . . and I need to know the best way to let him heal up. . .

He ends up falling about twice the height of a small cottage (I don’t know. . . maybe thirty feet? I’m bad at giving good estimates) and breaking at least a leg and several ribs, not to mention bad bruising. Should other stuff happen too? What’s the best way for ribs to heal? How long would all this take to heal, approximately? (By the way, the fall is slowed, though not broken, on the way down.)

Thank youuuu. . .

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

This

Better

Not

Be

Kiet

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@the-inkspiller  Oh, by the way, I will get around to reading your story! Sometime XD Hopefully today or tomorrow afternoon, but I make no promises.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Why

Would

I

Such

Information

With

You

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

You

Are

Acting

Suspicious

And

I

Still

Think

It’s

Kiet

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

You

Are

Forgetting

I

Have

Other

Children

Too

>:)

• This reply was modified 4 years, 1 month ago by Naiya Dyani.

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

@naiya-dyani

Apologies for the delayed response!

Thirty feet sounds like a pretty darn tall cottage. Sounds more like the height of a townhouse. A cottage – like the medieval idea of one – would probably be about 10 feet at its peak (and probably more like 6-8 feet of ceiling height).

Regardless, people have suffered similar injuries (or worse) from far less shorter falls; people have broken shins and femurs at heights of 3 feet, all because they landed badly. By the same token, some professional athletes, gymnasts and parkourists have managed falls from 15 – 20 feet without a scratch or with only minor bruising, even onto hard surfaces, all because they have good technique in landing at their strongest point and redirecting the energy from vertical into horizontal rolling momentum.

However, thirty feet is probably going to rough you up even if you’re a master-class rooftop runner and it’s a relatively soft surface like freshly tilled dirt (which I’m guessing it’s not).

1) Assuming your character lands on his feet, injuries are most likely to occur to the bones of the feet and legs: he could end up breaking fracturing his heel, his shin bones (tibia and fibula), and torn ligaments with any involved joints, particularly the knees and ankles. The femurs are unlikely to be damaged; your thigh bones are extremely tough, and coupled with the cushioning effect of the gluteal and hamstring muscles and fat, very unlikely to break unless hit with a heavy blade-like object which cuts through all of that tissue, or hit a very hard surface with spectacular force (or on the side of the leg). In a fall like this, unless he tilts over afterwards and then hits his torso on a rock, he’s unlikely to have breaks in his upper torso (ribs) or arms. Now, if he hit his chest on a thick branch on the way down (say at about 15 feet) that would definitely account for some broken ribs (and probably a scraped up face too, depending on the angle he hits it at / rotation).

2) If he does a belly-flop with arms out front, that would produce a host of injuries and fractures in the hands and forearms, torn ligaments from trying to stop yourself with your hands, dislocations from the same (most likely elbow or shoulder), broken ribs, and probably a pretty busted up face. Hitting a rock could be fatal if it’s near the face, neck, or torso, and will destroy a joint if he hits it with an arm or a leg. For the pelvis and below: pelvis could be fractured; knees will take the worst of  the damage for the legs, toes could be damaged as well; in this position, the femurs will be subject to more stress than the shin bones, as your legs are most likely bent and your shins hitting the ground only after your knees / torso have made contact.

3) If he falls on his back – he could be paralyzed for life, if not killed on impact. He could easily shatter his spine or dislocate several vertebrae even if he’s falling on normal dirt. The most likely area of injury depends on his rotation as he falls, but assuming he instinctively curls up as he falls, he’s most likely to land on the lumbar / thoracic vertebrae, breaking ribs and vertebrae, potentially severing his spinal cord and paralyzing his lower extremities. If he’s straight plummeting head-first, he’s quite likely to die on impact from a broken neck or skull.

Slowing will affect the damage suffered in a linear fashion; reducing the velocity at which you hit the ground will have the same effect as reducing the height of the fall. That is unless said slowing comes from whacking your noggin on a tree branch on the way down; that is not only bad for your head, but introduces uncontrolled rotational momentum, potentially resulting in other or worsened injuries.

Barring the paralysis of case 3) – any sort of fracture from a fall like this is likely to be severe, so we’re looking at 2-3 months of healing time for a single fracture; probably add a couple weeks for each additional break. A child (12 and under) might heal in 2 months or less, but adolescents and adults simply have so much more bone mass to reconstruct (and tend to hit the ground harder, being heavier) that even a simple break can take a while to fix – to say nothing of breaking several bones at once in a pretty bad fall.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller *star eyes* Thank you!!

Okay, so I think I’m going to have him hit a branch with his chest about halfway down and land on his feet, breaking some bones in his feet and legs.

Now, how would you care for broken ribs? And would he be able to use crutches for his legs without hurting himself further? *is very uneducated in these matters*

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

It

Also

Better

Not

Be

Tai

Also

Why

Are

We

Still

Writing

This

This

Lol

*is reading through @the-inkspiller  ‘s response to Naiya, cause who knows? Might be useful 😛 *

All my characters: *try to find a delete button for this thread*

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

You

Are

Seriously

Restricting

My

Writer’s

Freedoms!

(Because

It’s

More

Dramatic

That

Way)

Who am I supposed to throw off a cliff if you keep on laying down restrictions??? Tai’s dog???

Tai: NO

Heh, but you still don’t know >:)

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

But

I

Love

Your

Characters

And

I

Want

To

Protect

Them.

No

Cliffs.

NOOOO NOT HIS DOGGO!! 🙁 🙁

You’re right, I don’t XD It’s almost worse this way XD

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 189 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest