fb

Fantasy Writers

Research of less-than-desirable topics (wounds, wound complications, etc.)

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)
  • Author
    Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

*glares at you* Well, it’s too late. It’s already set in the first draft, and now I have the powers to make it more realistic in the second.

*raises clawed hands with weird lookin neon orange mist floating off them* Wait, hold on, lemme change the settings. . . *mist changes to neon green* That’s better.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

The Inkspiller
    @the-inkspiller

@Naiya-dyani So, fortunately for your character, caring for ribs is pretty simple:

Don’t do anything.

No, really.

Don’t exert yourself over much, but keep breathing deeply (to prevent pneumonia from liquid pooling in unexpanded pockets of your lungs), and avoid wrapping your torso too tightly. Otherwise, the body is actually really good about healing your ribs correctly, thanks to the tensile force of the rest of the ribcage / cartilage and muscle which holds that whole frame in place. Unless there’s a chunk of rib just free-floating in your thoracic cavity, there’s no need for a doctor to surgically reset any bones.

Assuming your character broke his ribs in front and not along the sides, using crutches would not affect or hurt the broken ribs, as crutches support the body under the axillary joints of your armpit (so your scapula / humerus > clavicle > spine is carrying your weight; ribs do not support any weight besides the muscles and ligaments directly attached to them.

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller Thank you so much! Phew, that’s good. Don’t want things to be TOO complicated for him afterward. XD

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

From an author’s standpoint, that last sentence is rubbish XD (Well, idk. I guess every author is different, so maybe you actually DO mean that 😛 But for me, the more complicated the better XD)

“Enough! Be quiet! I can’t hear myself think! I can’t hear my teeth chatter!"

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Well, the thing is, I want things to be complicated for him. . . but if his healing process is complicated, that means I can’t complicate his life as easily in other ways. . . I used the word complicated too many times in that sentence lol

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Ah… I see. *nods* Makes sense 😀

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 Ha, and you thought I was going easy on my children! How foolish. 😛

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani Yes, how very foolish of me 😛

XD

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 *wipes away tears because I’ve made part of Kiet’s backstory more painful*

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

*glares at you* C’mon Kiet, time to have a sleepover at Aunt Livi’s house. Bring all the cats you want. We’re gonna have a movie night and they’re all invited 😀

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Kiet: *gets a sparkle in his eye* Are you sure about that?? *chorus of meows in the distance*

Kiet: Oooh, and what movie? I’ll bring the cocoa and popcorn. . . *is very excited*

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

Of course I’m sure!

Hmm… how ’bout Disney movies! A huge marathon! 😀

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Kiet: *grins with a cat on each shoulder and one on his head, licking his hair* Okay! *frowns* Just not Bambi. I hate that movie.

Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

*picks up another cat and puts her on my own head*

I do too, actually XD

Naiya Dyani
    @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14

Kiet: *suddenly drops cat and swoops to save it* *hugs it close* That poor fawn. . . *refuses to cry* What’s your favorite? We can start with that!

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 124 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest