fb

Fantasy Writers

What if these characters met?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 211 total)
  • Author
    Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

@winter_rose

I LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!! Hagrid is one of the best characters ever!

Also, yeah, I agree on the two-day hiatus. Wingiby? What do you think?

"Bha e fhathast. Agus bha e air a ghràdh." -Am Maor agus an Rìgh Wolf

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@kylie-wingfeather

YES I know he can be the absolute sweetest!!

"The best is yet to come."
    ~Origin unknown

Wingiby Iggiby
    @wingiby-iggiby

@rebekah12

I’m so sorry to leave you hanging!!! Please excuse my extreme lack of participation! And @kylie-wingfeather , I think a two-day hiatus sounds totally fine! Also, @everybody, I might join back on after that hiatus; I’ll have to see. I’ve been a bit busy lately, so it all depends. Anyway, TTFN!

I light the arrow, pull the bow,
    Shoot that fire right through my soul.

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

HAPPY EASTER!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hallelujah! He is Risen!

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@kylie-wingfeather

He is Risen indeed!

_________________________________________________________________________________________

An enormous man and his equally large dog (someone please correct me if I’m wrong about Fang’s size) stepped into the room.

Rupert tensed as his eyes fell on the man’s towering form, and stepped to the side quickly.

He was enormous.

Bigger than anyone Rupe had ever seen, though Gilgamesh (along with a couple of other transmortals) was a close second.

Rupert wasn’t scared of the transmortals. They were powerful, true, but they were also bound by the treaties of the Order — that is, they had been — and risked Burial if they attacked Order members outright a minimum of three times, or broke their treaties.

Not that that had ever really stopped Gilgamesh.

Rupert could still remember that day when the huge transmortal had (SPOILER WARNING FOR THOSE NOT YET PAST PAGES 163 – 172 OF BOOK 2) nearly murdered Cyrus and Antigone.

Gilgamesh had blown up the Water Cube where the two Journeymen had been swimming, and had chased them into the Polygon after they’d survived. Nolan had held him off long enough for Rupert to arrive. Rupe had shot Gil in the head through his ear.

The bullet had only stunned him. (SPOILERS OVER)

Rupert let his left hand drift discreetly toward one of his revolvers.

Ahsoka shot him a look, clearly noticing, then strode up to the huge man. “Hello Hagrid,” she said to him. “Find anything useful?”

“Well, I ‘ave found some things, but I’m not real sure how useful you’ll find ’em,” said the big man — no, said Hagrid. He reached inside his coat, and produced a small collection of antique toys as Rupe tried to identify his thick accent. “I found ’em in some sort o’ old nursery, just sittin’ around gatherin’ dust, lookin’ all sad an’ lonely, so I thought I’d jus’ bring a few back here, see if any o’ you could find any fun in them.” He passed them out to the kids, who accepted them readily.

Leeli leaned on her crutch as she took one of the cloth dolls in her hands. “They’re so pretty!” she exclaimed, then, smiling wide, threw her arms around Hagrid’s leg as she whispered, “Thank you.”

“Aw, no need t’ thank me, they’s just some ol’ toys,” Hagrid said to the girl, looking a bit sheepish.

Rupert remained silent, watching the two.

He took his hand away from his revolver, and crossed his arms.

At least Hagrid, whoever he was, wasn’t hurting the kids.

But Rupert still didn’t trust him.

Not yet.

He couldn’t.

To risk it simply wasn’t an option.

But then again, there were two transmortals that Rupe trusted. Arachne and Nikales. Snake boy and spider girl.

And Hagrid might not even be a transmortal.

Rupert caught Hagrid’s eyes, and made sure that the big man saw the strength therein, the blood of ancient heroes that ran through his veins.

For the kids’ sake, Rupert would give Hagrid a chance.

He would wait, and he would keep an open mind, and he would see what there was to be seen.

“Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on.” -- Nick Fury

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@winter_rose @kylie-wingfeather @wingiby-iggiby

*raises eyebrow* Hello? You guys here?

“Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on.” -- Nick Fury

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@rebekah12

Sorry!! I was the last one to write a section before you, so I thought I’d let someone else go, so it sort of cycled evenly between us?? Anyway, I can get something up first thing tomorrow if no one else needs to…

~Origin unknown

Kylie S. Pierce
    @kylie-wingfeather

Ahh! Sorry y’all, I’ve been kinda busy, and I just… forgot, I guess. I’ll try to write something tomorrow!

~Kylie

*wanders off to scold herself for not writing sooner*

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

“I’m hungry,” Kalmar announced.

“You’re always hungry,” Janner said.

“I’m hungry too,” Ron said. “So is Harry.”

Harry looked up, puzzled. “I am?” Ron nudged Harry emphatically with his elbow.

“Yeah. You are.” Harry shrugged.

“All right. I’m hungry,” he said.

“Boys,” Hermione muttered, rolling her eyes.

“We’re going to look for some food!” Ron called, dragging Harry and Kalmar to the door.

“You three shouldn’t be out there on your own. It’s still dangerous,” Ahsoka said. Ron waved her off.

“Kalmar has got his sword, and Harry and I have our wands. We’ll be fine,” Ron reassured Ahsoka before he shut the door. The three boys scampered away, footsteps echoing back into the room.

Hermione approached Ahsoka. “Maybe we should send someone after them,” she said slowly.  “Even if they’re not in trouble with Macha, they could still get lost.”

“Yes, I agree. Rex, would you…?” Ahsoka turned to the clone captain. Rex nodded and gave a quick salute before heading after the boys.

“What exactly did he mean by ‘wands’?” Rupert asked, looking over to Hermione.

“Magic wands,” she said. “You know, for casting spells.” Rupert gave her an extremely weird look.  Hermione shrugged helplessly. “Hexes, jinxes, charms? You do know what those are, right?”

~Origin unknown

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@winter_rose @kylie-wingfeather

Thanks you guys 🙂 🙂

_________________________________________________________________________________________

“We’re going to look for some food!” Ron called back over his shoulder, already having dragged Kalmar and Harry halfway to the door.

“You three shouldn’t be out there on your own,” Ahsoka protested, her eyes hardening. “It’s still dangerous.”

Ron ignored her, instead continuing on his way toward the door. “Kalmar has got his sword, and Harry and I have our wands. We’ll be fine.” He shutting the door behind him and his friends.

Rupert stiffened at the word wands.

Surely the boy couldn’t have meant actual wands. . . right?

Rupe didn’t think that he’d ever heard of child sorcerers anywhere before, but that didn’t mean that they didn’t exist.

He emerged from a sea of confusing thoughts just in time to see Ahsoka send one of the clones — someone she had called Rex — after the boys; probably as a protective measure.

Rupert looked at the girl that Harry had called Hermione. “What exactly did he mean by wands?” he asked, hoping that it wasn’t what he’d thought Ron had meant.

Hermione looked at him strangely. “Magic wands,” she answered. “You know, for casting spells.”

Please mean children’s toys. Please mean children’s toys.

Hermione must have mistaken his expression for confusion, because she shrugged helplessly, and tried to elaborate. “Hexes, jinxes, charms? You do know what those are, right?”

Boy did he.

Clones.

A mythological owl-witch.

Child sorcerers.

What didn’t  this place have?

Magic was forbidden within the Order of Brendan. Some would say that to fight against it was one of the reasons that the O of B even existed.

Rupert had seen what magic could do. He had seen the havoc it could wreak, the lives it could destroy. He had seen the monsters it could summon. He had seen men kill without remorse just to get their hands on one small shard of a magical artifact. Of a tooth.

Rupert resisted the urge to let one — or both — of his hands drift toward his revolvers. His guns would do little good against magic. If a fight was what it came down to, he was going to need the element of surprise.

But against children?

No, Rupert would avoid that until he had no other options left.

He returned his focus to Hermione, and saw her wither underneath his powerful gaze. “Answer me truthfully,” he said, and he knew that she could hear the suspicion in his voice. “Are you a sorceress, a witch, a worker of magic?”

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

Hermione shrunk under Rupert’s intense stare. She normally wasn’t very timid, but something about the way this man looked at her made her shudder.

“Answer me truthfully,” Rupert started, drawing out each word slowly, emphatically, his tone saturated with distrust. “Are you a scorceress, a witch, a worker of magic?”

He spoke of magic as if it was something dark, something wretched, something vile. He seemed to be referring to black magic, the evil sort, the kind fobidden at Hogwarts. Hermione knew of muggles that would treat magic with the same revulsion.

But Rupert also spoke as one with experience, as one who has seen the work of magic firsthand. He couldn’t possibly be a muggle. Not a normal muggle, at any rate.

But why did he hate magic so much?

She met his dark eyes and glimpsed… something. A flash of memory, a flicker of his past.  He’d seen magic all right.  But he’d never seen the good it could yield.

“Black magic, dark powers, the kinds of scorcery you have seen… those are awful things!” Hermione exclaimed. “What Harry and Ron and I have… it isn’t evil. I promise you that. What we have is good, something that can be beautiful and helpful and, and even life-saving!”

Rupert crossed his arms. He still didn’t look convinced.

~Origin unknown

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@winter_rose @kylie-wingfeather @wingiby-iggiby

I’m good with having Rupe share his backstory with the others, but if I do, it may end up being riddled with spoilers. Y’all ok with that?

“Black magic, dark powers, the kinds of sorcery you have seen. . . those are awful things!” Hermione exclaimed. “What Harry and Ron and I have. . . it isn’t evil. I promise you that. What we have is good, something that can be beautiful and helpful and. . . and even life-saving!”

Rupert crossed his arms, and cocked an eyebrow.

Magic. . . life-saving? He didn’t buy it.

“I wonder if you would still say that,” Rupert said quietly, “if you had seen what I have seen.”

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@rebekah12

Yep, that’s all right with me.

~Origin unknown

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

“I wonder if you would still say that,” Rupert said softly, “if you had seen what I have seen.”

Rupert’s eyes were now cast to the ground.

Hermione bit her lip. She hadn’t meant to remind him of anything painful.

“I’m sorry, sir, and it is true that not all magic is good,” Hermione said, and then hesitated.

(Spoiler alert (I guess) for those not past book 1)

“My friend Harry lost his parents to magic,” she said. “His life could have been so much better than it is, and he knows that. I can see how much he misses them, and how much he wants his family back.”

(Spoiler over)

“Did… did you lose someone too?”

• This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Winter Rose.
    • This reply was modified 2 weeks ago by Winter Rose. Reason: apparrenrly the brackets got encrypted??

~Origin unknown

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@winter_rose

Do you think that Kal, Harry, Ron, and Rex should be around for this? ‘Cause I’m good with waiting. Rupert can just give Hermione the “short answer” and I can have him tell his backstory at a later date.

Or do you think that ((*pauses to remember which characters are still around* Hermione, Leeli, Janner, a group of clones, Hagrid, Amberley, and Emberyn, I think. . .)) should just fill them in later?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 211 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest