Fantasy Writers

(Less Formal) Word Wars

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Livi Ryddle
    @anne_the_noob14

I believe there are private forums/threads for the monthly word wars, but here’s a place for folks to have small, less formal ones 🙂

How a word war works, for those of you who might not know, is you and at least one other person decide that you’re both going to write for a set amount of time (10, 15, and 30 minutes seem to be the most popular choices), and keep track of how many words you’ve written in that time. Then you’d let the other person know how many words you’ve wrote, and whoever has the most “wins”. Really, it’s just for motivating you to write 😉 Gives you some friendly competition, ya know. Some friends and I did this during NaNo last year, and it really helps me get words on the page. The idea is to not worry about editing even spelling/grammar mistakes during the word war; just write as much as you can, as fast as you can.

There are some variations, but them’s the basics 😉

So anyways! I actually started this because I’m having trouble writing at the moment, and I remembered how much the word wars helped me during NaNo. So if anyone would like to have a word war… 😀

(Actually what I really need to do is figure out where I’m going with these next few chapters, so I actually know what to write XD)

Tagging a few peeps just to get some action started (hopefully):

@naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller

@deeprun
    (Hi, btw! Jonathan was telling me how much you’ve helped him be motivated to write, so I figured I’d tag ya 😛 )

@arindown

@ariella-newheart
    (How’s things? 😀 Long time no see)

• This topic was modified 3 months, 3 weeks ago by Livi Ryddle.

"Reck not."
    ~Sir Nicholas Beauvallet

Arindown
    @arindown

@anne_the_noob14

I might be willing to do a couple. I usually write from 6:05 ish to 7:00 in the morning (Eastern Time). I don’t know if that works for anyone else, but that’s my writing time.

I’m also doing NaNo right now, so I’ll double up.

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Livi Ryddle
      @anne_the_noob14

@arindown

I’m actually in CST… And I’m hardly ever up at that time, so it won’t work for me 🙁 But maybe someone else?

"Reck not."
      ~Sir Nicholas Beauvallet

DeepRun
      @deeprun

@anne_the_noob14

Hey, thanks for the tag. Coercing others to write has become an engrossing and rewarding side job.  Why don’t you do a word count for the week?  Say, this Saturday morning, tally up what you’ve written thus far this week and post it.  I’ll do that regardless, on this thread.

I’m slogging through rewrite of a NaNoWriMo novel and this would help keep me on track.  After reading your post, I wrote a thousand words.  That hasn’t happened in a while!  So thanks for the post.

You do not have a soul. You have a body.
      You are a soul. - C.S. Lewis

Livi Ryddle
      @anne_the_noob14

@deeprun

You’re welcome! *laughs* Another friend of mine thinks the same 😉 Alrighty! What is this, Wednesday? Coolio. Will do.

Ooh, fun lol XD I’m actually doing the same! Although for me, it isn’t so much of a rewrite as it is finishing draft one… *sheepish grin*  And yay! I wrote about the same amount this afternoon as well, and figured out some things regarding the plot that helped me figure out where these next few chapters should be going, so this has been a pretty productive writing day for me, considering I haven’t written in months.

"Reck not."
      ~Sir Nicholas Beauvallet

DeepRun
      @deeprun

@anne_the_noob14

Posting now.  I’ve gotten about 1,900 for the week.  How did it go for you?

The Inkspiller
      @the-inkspiller

@anne_the_noob14, @deeprun

Well…

On 7/10 – 7/11 I think I got a combined 4.3k written for the finale of Ivory Tower…

@Deeprun
      I’M STILL WORKING ON CHAPTER 4, DON’T EAT ME  🙂

Non nobis Domine, sed nomini, Tuo da gloriam.

Naiya Dyani
      @naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller I dunno, Deep might eat ya. With ranch. Wouldn’t be surprised. 😛

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

Livi Ryddle
        @anne_the_noob14

@deeprun

Yikes, I actually completely forgot about posting my word count… much less writing anything XD Ok, I didn’t forget to write, it just… didn’t happen 😛 So my total for the week is my 1730 ish that I wrote on Wednesday…

@the-inkspiller
        Noice, noice!

@naiya-dyani
        Mmh, yeah. *tsk* Wouldn’t be surprised at all. 😛

Ok y’all… I’M GONNA DO SOME WRITING THIS WEEK, I PROMISE!! I seriously don’t know why it ends up being such a huge deal. It’s not like I don’t know what to write, cause I’ve got the next few chapters planned out. And it’s not like I don’t have time. I… I just have the time management skills of a carrot. So. *nods* I’m working on that. 😛

"Reck not."
        ~Sir Nicholas Beauvallet

Naiya Dyani
        @naiya-dyani

@anne_the_noob14 *wheezes* time management skills of a carrot. . .

Unfortunately I, too, can relate to that all too well. Let’s work on that together, shall we? 😛

Ah. . . I should probably join this. I’m rewriting the first two sections of my (cOmPlEtEd) second draft and could use a push lol.

Hearts are like matter--they can be beaten down, torn, and burned, but they cannot be destroyed.

DeepRun
          @deeprun

Chipotle ranch, thank you very much.  Regular ranch is subpar in my opinion (if you can turn the fundamental taste into a powder to be rehydrated at will, into sauce… I question the whole legtimacy of that situation).

@anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani

@the-inkspiller

Alrighty, so Saturday mornings, word count posted!!

Livi Ryddle
          @anne_the_noob14

@naiya-dyani XD I saw that somewhere and was like “yeah I can use that line” 😛

And EEEEEYYYYYY CONGRATS ON HAVING A FINISHED PIECE 😀 😀               *looks at all my unfinished stories* Stop glaring at me, y’all!! I’ll finish you at some point!! Them: Yeah right

Anyways. Yes, love to have ya 😀

@deeprun

Hmm, good point about the ranch powder stuff.

Saturday mornings, gotcha.

@yalltwo and @the-inkspiller

Anybody wanna word war?

"Reck not."
          ~Sir Nicholas Beauvallet

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest