Fantasy Writers

“Escape from Ackerley” a collaborative story

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • Author
    Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@jasmine I’m pretty sure it is. . . when Akaya didn’t get lost in the water I just decided to play along with it, and see what happened. *shrugs* I guess Silent can try to carry Akaya, Farley, and Ferguson all at once (and maybe Faith too, depending on Kinnan’s next post), then realize that she isn’t quite strong enough for all of them, and Akaya volunteers to stay behind and wait until the others are safe? Does that work?

“Where my brothers fall, there I will be. Where my sisters stumble, there you will find me.” - Rupert

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Yup! 👍☺

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@rebekah12 @jasmine,

Works for me! I’ll churn out a post later today, assuming life stays remotely sane. 🙂

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
    ~AP

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Soooo… life didn’t stay sane. 😉 I’ll try to write another one today!

Making something beautiful in a broken world can be harrowing work. And it can’t be done alone.
    ~AP

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@joelle-stone No worries! Life seems to be finding new ways to be unpredictable these days. *glares angrily at life and tells it to stop for one darned second and let me catch up and actually figure out what in the world is going on*

“Where my brothers fall, there I will be. Where my sisters stumble, there you will find me.” - Rupert

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Bekah: Lol, that would be nice if we could tell life that. XD

~AP

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

“Silent, can you fly us to higher ground?” Ash cautiously twisted around on his branch to see that it was the she-fox who spoke, and she addressed the flying predator.

No, Ash thought, panic rising. I really don’t want to fly with that thing. No, no no.

The animal – Silent – paused, then began to gesture. Her movements were graceful, and Ash decided that must be how she communicated. He could not read the signs, and he hoped she wasn’t suggesting that they eat him.

The fox breathed a sigh of relief. “She says she can carry all of us smaller animals at once, and probably you by yourself,” she said, meeting Ash’s eyes. The water rocked their trees.

“Uh,” Ash began his eyes wide. Probably?!?! Probably is NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

“Great,” the mink answered. “Let’s do it. I’m Ferguson, by the way.”

“Ash,” Ash muttered.

“Who’s first?” the wolf asked, glancing at Ash. Was that a hungry gleam in her eyes? Ash scooted slightly farther away from her and glanced down, judging the distance to the rolling water beneath them. He would almost risk it.

Silent gestured again, and the wolf and fox read her signs. Was it a canine thing? Was that a flying dog? That would be much worse for deerkind than just canines on the ground. Imagine packs hunting you from the air! Cliffs would never be safe again.

“Works for me,” the wolf finally said. “Ash, she’s taking you and Faith first.”

Ash glanced wildly at Faith. The little hedgehog was at the top of her tree, clinging expertly to the boughs. She smiled encouragingly at him.

“Uh, I don’t know if that is a good idea,” Ash stammered as Silent approached his tree. She showed her teeth in a somehow friendly way (or was it just a smile?), then held out her talons. Cautiously Ash inspected them. They were most certainly sharp enough to tear his head from his body.

“It’s okay,” the fox hollered. “She doesn’t eat deer.” With a quick glance at the wolf, she added, “At least, I think so. Not right now, anyway.”

That was encouraging.

Suddenly the flying dog thing lunged forward and grasped Ash in her talons. He thrashed for a moment, then froze, seeing the water churning angrily beneath him. What had he done? Had he signaled that it was okay to go? Was she carrying him off to her lair to eat him whole?

Please miss me, Cedar! Ash thought, and closed his eyes.

——————————–

@rebekah12
    (Ash is a little traumatized right now, lol. Poor guy.)

~AP

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@joelle-stone Silent’s wondered if she’s a lot of things, but a flying dog is not one of them xD That post made me laugh SO hard!! Thank you for that 😉

_________________________________________________________________________________________

The buck —  no, Ash — looked more than a little nervous as I approached him. Hoping to put him a bit more at ease, I smiled nervously at him, and held out my paws, forgetting for the moment about my injured one.

“It’s okay!” Farley called to Ash. “She doesn’t eat deer!”

She paused, glanced at Akaya, then added, “At least, I think so. Not right now, anyway.”

“I’ve never killed a deer ever in my life,” I signaled to Ash, though I wasn’t sure he understood. I decided not to tell him that whenever the hunters in my pack had brought down a deer, I had, of course, joined in the feast. “And even if I  had killed a deer before, I promise I won’t hurt you.”

I hesitated a moment, then grabbed him.

The sudden pain in my injured paw screamed for my attention as Ash thrashed. I ignored it.

So he didn’t understand me. Darn it.

If he couldn’t understand my signals, then I would just have to prove to him that I meant him no harm whatsoever.

As I lifted him into the air, Ash stopped struggling. Probably out of acceptance towards what he likely thought would be the ride to his death.

If he could’ve understood my words, I would have set him down again and signaled madly.

I set my eyes on a large grassy knoll at the edge of the forest. Water rushed around its base, but more than a little of it was well above the flood’s surface.

Perfect.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by Rebekah12.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

As he was gently set down on a grassy hill, standing like a bald head above the rushing waters, Ash recovered. Once his feet were under him, he bounded a few paces away, then whirled and lowered his antlers.

“I am not an easy supper,” he said, daring bravery into his voice.

—————-

Another short – super short – one. Ah well. @rebekah12

~AP

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

“I am not an easy supper,” Ash said, lowering his antlers at me.

So he still thought I wanted to eat him, not help him.

Well that certainly hadn’t gone as planned.

I racked my brain for something else to try to show him that I meant him no harm, but found nothing for the moment.

I made a mental note to thank my wolf mother for teaching me to communicate through sign language, if I ever saw her again. Having to gain an animal’s trust without being able to communicate was hard.

Maybe I could get Farley or Akaya to translate for me once they were here.

I headed back to the other animals.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

@jasmine
    ? You’re up!

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@rebekah12

Sorry I didn’t get back sooner!

Farley watched as Ash was lifted skyward and away from the group. When Silent disappeared with the buck, Farley drooped back down to a laying position, her head resting on her paws.

She tried to sort out the day in her mind but everything seemed to jumble up. She couldn’t think clearly so she did what she did every time things got crazy. She closed her eyes and listened. She let all the sounds of Ackerley forest paint a picture of understanding in her head.

She heard the sound of raging water most loudly. It filled the air and threatened to block of every other sound.

Water. A giant river of water.

She heard sounds of distress. All around she could hear other animals splashing, and crying out for help. She could also hear faint shouts of humans. She shuddered at the sound.

More creatures suffering. 

She could hear the distinct crack and snap of falling trees. She could hear great clumps of earth falling into the water.

The world is falling apart.

She lay her ears back against her neck and sorted through the sounds. The over all picture was of a giant flood wiping out the forest, destroying everything in its path, and sending all living things into a scramble for life.

What was her part in this? What should she do? The main goal was to survive. She needed dry ground to survive and Silent was her only hope for that. Silent. Silent was going out of her way to help her and the others who couldn’t even understand what she was telling them. She put survival second, like Akaya had done this morning when it had all started. Did that mean Farley should do the same? Put herself second to others? Her mind was telling her to save herself. But something else deep down was telling her to help the others. Why? She saw Akaya and Silent’s faces in her mind. Why had they done it?

Farley heard faint wingbeats growing louder. Silent was back. Farley opened her eyes and sat up. She set her question aside for later and let a new one rise.

How was Silent going to carry them? If she carried Ferguson in her good front paw, how was she going to carry Akaya and herself in her back paws? Even if she did get them situated somehow, was she even strong enough to carry everyone?

“How is this going to work?” Farley asked, her tail swishing nervously.

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@jasmine No worries! The world is just about going crazy right now.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

I hovered in front of the leaning tree where the others were, my wings working overtime to hold me in the same place.

“How is this going to work?” Farley asked, her tail swishing slightly.

I could tell she was nervous. Truth be told, I was too. Luckily, I’d managed to figure out the problem as I flew back from the jutting piece of high land where I’d left Ash. “You and Ferguson get on my back. I should be able to carry Akaya in my paws,” I signaled, then moved closer to make the jump easier.

Jasmine
    @jasmine

@Crazywriter feel free to edit this post if you want!

“You and Ferguson get on my back. I should be able to carry Akaya in my paws,” signed Silent.

Farley’s ears drooped in fright. This would probably be the craziest thing she would ever do. She slowly stood up and measured the distance between Silent’s back and the branch she stood on. She would have to time the jump right or one of Silent’s wings would hit her midair. She crouched down to spring then remembered Ferguson. She doubted he would be able to climb the tree and make the jump by himself.

Her mind told her to forget the mink in the water and jump herself, but Silent probably wouldn’t leave without him. She still somehow felt angry at him for the scuffle over the fish that morning but she shook of the feeling and picked him up gently in her mouth.

She crouched down, paused a moment, and sprang. Front paws stretched out before her, back paws stretched out behind her, she sailed through the air for an seemingly endless moment. She landed with all four paws on Silent’s back and her front paws slipped, sending her sliding forward and towards Silent’s wing. The wing came up and hit her in the face, sending her tumbling back into the middle of Silent’s back.  Farley crouched low to the ground and caught her shaking breath, setting Ferguson down.

She felt Silent move to grab Akaya.

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

I felt my wing hit Farley after she landed, and made a mental note to apologize for that as soon as I’d set her down again. Moving forward slowly, I got a grip on Akaya’s fur, then started to lift her up.

I tried to ignore the pain in my wings from the strain, but it was too much. Hardly had I picked up Akaya before I had to set her down again, all of my concentration going towards staying in the air.

I got my balance again, the pain in my wings vanishing as the sudden amount of extra weight left.

Now I was faced with a dilemma; the water was rising quickly, and if I left anyone behind, I wasn’t confident I’d be able to get back in time to take them to safety. Akaya would have a better chance of swimming to safety if I left her than the smaller animals would, but she was also one of my best friends.

Or had been when we were little, at least.

I looked at Akaya, and I think she saw my inner conflict on my face.

“It’s okay, Silent,” she assured me before I could appraise her of the situation with signals. “I’ll be fine. Take Farley and Ferguson, and go.”

And so I did.

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

@jasmine?

and @joelle-stone here’s the tag you asked for 😉

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 159 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest