Fantasy Writers

“Escape from Ackerley” a collaborative story

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
  • Author
    Jasmine
    @jasmine

Hey, it’s me, Jazzyfresh  Jasmine.

This is a Collaborative story that I started at a different website but that website shutdown So I am continuing at here. If You where in the collaborative story from the last website, please let me know here. But I’m not sure all of you made it so I’m going to wait a week for everybody to check in.

I know a couple of you who said you might not make it to the new Website, so I’m just giving everyone a little time to let me know if  they made it or not.

I’m looking forward to continuing the story and I’m really glad I could make it.

Rebekah12
      @rebekah12

AAAAAAAGH!!!! It’s finally HERE!!!

Rebekah12 here, and I have all we wrote previously on a Google Doc. I can copy-and-paste it on here if  you want.

Jasmine
        @jasmine

That would be great! Thank you.☺

Jasmine
          @jasmine

I won’t be able to post on an Sundays though.

Jasmine
            @jasmine

Would you mind tagging the others who are in the collaborative story? I don’t know how it works yet.

Rebekah12
              @rebekah12

I’ll do it as soon as I can find somebody who can tell me how 😛

*runs off to Guardians of Kulmaine chatting Doc and tries to find Thwapling*

Mischievous Thwapling
                @mischievous-thwapling

Lol! Don’t worry; you won’t have to run far, for I am right here! *strikes heroic pose as heroic music plays* Jk, lol.

So, to tag someone you put an @ then the person’s name.  Though sometimes people have different tags than what their actual name is.  So to effectively tag someone every time, you basically just put the little gray name that’s in italics and is under  each person’s profile pic and name to tag them.  Or you could just copy and past the gray name to tag them.
                  Like so:

@rebekah12

@jasmine

And you wanted Kinnan? Here’s her tag 😀 @joelle-stone

Yep, that’s another thing. If their name has two words, you have to put a dash in between (At least, I think this – is called a dash, right?)

Ok I have n0-0-0-0-0-0 idea if that remotely made sense.. if it didn’t help, you can just ask me to explain it again, and I’ll try to do better XD I have a hard time explaining things 😛

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks." ~Gandalf

Rebekah12
                  @rebekah12

Thanks! That’s helpful.

Do I put the tag in the bar labeled “tags”, or in the regular post though?!

Mischievous Thwapling
                    @mischievous-thwapling

I pretty sure just in the regular post 😀

"May the wind under your wings bear you where the sun sails and the moon walks." ~Gandalf

Jasmine
                      @jasmine

When you tag someone does it just let them know that they have been tagged? Is that all there is to it?

Crazywriter
                        @crazywriter

Hi guys! Found this now! So, we starting soon?

Jasmine
                          @jasmine

I think so. As soon as we get the gang back together again.☺

birds rock made it, right? And is someone able to copy and paste the story here? (When the flabbit room switched around I wasn’t able to find the doc.)

Rebekah12
                            @rebekah12

I can attempt to copy-and-paste the story on here. . . but what we wrote is kinda a lot though. . .

Birds Rock? Yeah, she made it on Story Embers. I’ll email her to let her know this is here, though.

Birds Rock
                              @birds-rock

Hey Guys!!!

Birds Rock
                                @birds-rock

Here it is:

Denali

Akaya

Species: Grey wolf

Appearance: Silvery grey fur; 115 lbs; slender, agile form; green eyes; sharp teeth – moderate length (no fangs!)

Personality: Serious; quiet; very good listener; patient; slightly mischievous; slightly sarcastic; persistent; kind; analytical; curious

Major character trait: Compassion

Minor character trait: Leadership

Major flaw: Legalistic

Minor flaws: Stubborn, self-important

Strength: Quickly in tune with team members and can fit in almost anywhere

Weakness: Independent

Physical Strength: Strong – can fight almost anything and survive; high endurance; doesn’t easily succumb to pain; extremely agile and quick

Physical Weakness: Susceptible to illness

Favorite food: Raw bird – any type

Favorite pastime: Digging

Favorite color: Light green, Slate

Favorite environment: Mountains. Anywhere. Just mountains.

Favorite animal: Snow fox

Relations: Parents – Taruca and Atrohs; Sisters – Quilla and Anutelle

Extras: Akaya has a terrible family secret that she has never told anyone. Not even her sisters.

Yep – that’s my character. Hope you like her!

Throne Warden in Christ,

~Denali Wingfeather

Jazzyfresh

Name: Farley

Species: Fox

Eyes: Deep green with brown flecks

Likes: cool\cold weather, sunny warm places, streams

Dislikes: hot weather, other animals pain,

Personality: on the quiet side, smart with her words, fierce

Strength: quick and nimble, good at fighting, sharp ears and eyes, agile

Weakness: working with others,

Fur: changes with season

Crazywriter

Ferguson

Animal: Mink

Appearance: Brown fur, 35-40 lbs, razor sharp teeth

Personality: Jovial, alert, loyal,

Main good trait: Standing up for whats right

Main bad trait: Proud at times

Pastimes: Hunting, joking, racing,

Extrovert

Rebekah12

Name: Silent Strength (but she goes by “Silent”)

Species: dragon (idk what specific type)

Appearance:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1FWfSbei1PglwDx43bk9VNbqxp99aL_b-uvuzOefW0aQ/edit?usp=drivesdk

Personality: shy, playful, loyal

Strongest Traits: observing, kindness

Greatest Flaw: she tends to keep things to herself, and tries not to bother others with her problems or observations.

Likes: sneaking out to fly in thunderstorms, roughhousing with her adoptive siblings.

Dislikes: being asked questions, her disabilities holding her back

Fav. Colors: midnight (royal) blue, stormcloud gray

Fav. Food: salmon

Backstory: Silent was raised by a pack of wolves, who found her egg, cracked, in the woods.

After some of their pups found it, the adults kept an eye on it, and about a week later, Silent hatched, and when her mother made no sort of appearance, the wolves decided to raise her alongside their own. Because of the crack in her egg, Silent has been unable to make any kind of sound since hatching. At a young age, though, her wolf mother taught her how to communicate with her body language.

Silent never knew what exactly she was (a never-before-seen type of lizard, and a mutant bird were some of the things that crossed her mind). Though her wolf siblings accepted her as their sister, she always lived with the fear that no one really wanted her, liked her. This caused her to be more reclusive than most animals.

. . . = thoughts

“. . . “ = body language dialogue

Birds Rock

Name: Faith

Species: Hedgehog

Appearance: what a hedgehog looks like

Personality: Caring, Nice, Loyal, and Extroverted

Strongest Traits: Kindness, and Responsible

Greatest Flaw: Timid

Dislikes: Being Scared, Wet, Using her Quills, Being Alone

Fav. Colors: Sky Blue, and Purple

Fav. Food: Grasshoppers and Earthworms

Jazzyfresh

A normal day then all of a sudden *BOOM* earthquake, then some aftershocks and the next day can be the flood.

Farley stretched, yawned, stood up, and shook her self. She looked around her den at the dirt walls that stood about three feet high, a good size compared to most fox dens. The first thing she noticed was a strange feeling that hung in the air, what was it? A nervousness she couldn’t explain but that troubled her mind. She sniffed the air, nothing out of the ordinary, the musty sent of earth and leaves, the remains of last night’s dinner, and the strong sent of human, but that was nothing new either, they had been here for months, hunting any wildlife that they could get there hands on. Farley’s own mother had a close run in a few weeks back, but she got away and was now safe in her den nursing a new litter of pups. Farley considered going to see her mum to day but decided against it, she thought it better to stay close to home for now. She slipped up I to daylight but hesitated, her head poking out of the den, she closed her eyes and listened, her sharp ears caught the sound of a beetle skittering across the forest floor, the cry of an eagle up by the mountains, and a small noise that sounded like a rabbit. Her ears perked up, a rabbit! Her favorite! She glanced around, confirmed they there where no hunters around, and broke into a silent sprint heading for the rabbit, then stopped suddenly as the sound changed from the usual piter pater of a happy rabbit to a crazed thrashing sound that sent chills up Farley’s spine. She had seen this before, ever since the humans moved in this had been happening, a unsuspecting animal was wondering along only to be suddenly caught by something that caught around there neck a choked them. the humans called it a snare. Farley went from a Sprint to a full out run, bolting for the thrashing sound, she leaped over a lot and saw a brown and white rabbit on its side kicking and thrashing, Farley ran over to it and pined it tho the ground with her front paws, she opened her jaws and reached for its neck, she gently grabbed the translucent string that was tight end around its neck and tugged, loosening it. The rabbit (now able to breath) cried out in fear, “he quiet!” Farley said ” do you want both of us to be caught? ” the rabbit was obviously still terrified but quieted down. Farley tugged again and again until finely slipping the loop over the rabbits head and stepping back. The rabbit, still terrified, bolted into the woods, and as Farley watched it go she remembered she needed breakfast, she sighed, “I guess I’ll have to find something else” she said as she slipped back towards the river. She reached the banks of the river and stooped to drink, a long loud howl filled the air and Farley’s head jerked up, spraying water everywhere. Wolves. Her hair stood on end, she knew about a half mile from here their was a wolf pack, they often came to the river to drink and Farley learned to be wary of them, they where bigger and usually hungry, she knew what that meant. She finished her drink quickly and hid in the bushes by the river, waiting.

Crazywriter

Ferguson opened his eyes. Light streamed through his small den opening. He’d discovered the den two weeks before, nothing left but an old snakeskin. He shook his head, waking himself up. He slowly stood, then walked to the edge of the den. The sun streamed through the thick forest, leaving blotches of light peppered on the forest floor.

He yawned, taking in the view. Then he started off toward the river.

‘Fish,’ he thought, licking his chops at the thought of a tasty trout. He sniffed at the air, taking in the scent of pine, and he sighed. He loved the smell of the forest.

He hurried along till the forest broke into a field, which he playfully galloped across. He chased butterflies, tumbled in the tall grass, and laughed. He reached the edge of the field, where it sloped down and turned into sand. Beyond that was the river. He leaped off the slope, and slowly, silently waded into the water. He watched expectantly for fish, and after a small wait, saw a trophy trout. With wide eyes, he waited, letting it get used to those four, brown legs. When the fish came up for a big air bubble, Ferguson made his move. He sank his sharp teeth into the fish, and shook his head violently.

The fish struggled, but Ferguson’s jaw held, and he swam to the beach. He held the fish out of water for a minute or two, till it stopped flopping, then began to feast.

He looked up after finishing an exceptionally good piece of fish, and saw a red blur.

‘Fox’. he thought. Instinct took over and he drug his fish up the slope into the cover of the grass where he finished his meal.

The forest creatures could trust nobody, except their mate perhaps. But as Ferguson didn’t have one, the only person he could trust was himself. ‘Trust nobody’ he thought as he turned one last time to see the fox

Denali Christianson

Akaya felt someone shaking her. She groaned, rolled over, and looked up to see her sister, Anutelle, looking into her eyes. “Wake up, Akaya! We’re leaving for the river!”

Akaya groaned again, then struggled to her paws. She walked out of the pack’s cave and stretched. Sun sparkled through the trees and melted the fog that crept up from the river at night. Akaya sighed. She loved the morning, but this morning seemed different somehow. An expectant waiting, something akin to anxiety. But when she looked around, saw her packmates stretching and yawning while licking themselves, she shook her head and decided that it was her imagination.

Anutelle looked at Akaya. “You ready?” she asked. Akaya nodded.

Akaya lifted her muzzle to the clear blue morning sky and howled. At her signal, the rest of the pack joined into the call. The song of the blood of Akaya’s royal ancestors pulsed through her veins and she felt the last bit of sleep fall from her silver fur. She smiled.

With Akaya in the lead, the pack charged down the long, lazy hill to the river. Akaya’s nose was assaulted with every single smell of the forest. She detected the smell of fox, mink, and hedgehog, along with all manner of other forest animals. The pack quickly reached the river and knelt to drink, and Akaya’s sharp eyes spotted the form of a fox bolting up the hill, the shadow of the mink she had smelled feasting on a fish in a nearby bush, and the frame of a rabbit dashing along the opposite bank.

“Who wants some breakfast?” Akaya called.

All the wolves howled again, and Akaya dashed off into the trees, dreaming of deer meat and the full moon that night. But her musings were shadowed by another bout of unexplainable restless anxiety.

Rebekah12

The cool wind rushed against my face, pushing my ears flat back against the back of my neck. My smooth glide wavered, and I beat my wings to renew my steady pace. I looked down, and could just see the forest below through the wisps of dark clouds a few feet below me. A low rumble of thunder shook the air, and a grin spread across my face as I cut my glide short, and climbed higher into the sky. The cool spray of falling rain misted my scales, and I shook the droplets from my head, and laughed noiselessly.

If my mother knew I was here, she would be furious, I knew, but I simply couldn’t help myself. Flying, especially in thunderstorms, awoke a wild, searing joy within me, like running did my older sister Silver.

Thunder shook the sky again, and I looked down once more. The clouds were thickening below me, and I could hardly see the forest anymore. As much as I hated to, I had to get back to the den before I was missed.

After a moment of hesitation, I tilted my wings, and glided downward in a gentle dive. I carefully steered so that I wouldn’t run into the uppermost branches of any trees, then landed on the ground. The storm was beginning in earnest now, and I looked around before moving at a lope back to the den.

It was beginning to pour by the time I got there, and it was impossible to get in undetected.

Mother looked up as I slipped inside the cave, and cut off her conversation with Silver with a flick of her tail, and turned to me. “Silent, don’t tell me you were out flying again.”

I sighed. “Fine. I was.”

Mother motioned to the back of the cave, where the youngest pups were engaged in a fierce wrestling match. “Go on. Get back there, and dry off. I don’t want you leaving the den at all tomorrow.”

“But Mother,” I motioned frantically, trying to get my words out before she turned her eyes away. “All the wolves can go where they like, so why not me? Is it just because I have wings? Is it because I’m different?”

There was a sadness in Mother’s eyes now, a deep weariness that I almost never saw. “Silent Strength, you cannot make a sound. You know that. If you run into trouble, you have no way to call for help. It is for your own safety.”

I looked away, fighting the urge to bare my teeth. I knew she was right, but that didn’t make me like the rule. I hated it when my silence held me back, made the others give me special treatment. I lived to join the pack, and to do that, I had to prove that I wasn’t helpless, that my disability wouldn’t be a problem. It was as though I was both blessed and cursed — blessed with wings, and cursed with silence. Will I ever overcome this??? I wondered.

Jazzyfresh

One more thing to mention, I noticed how in other story’s people start controlling other people’s characters and it’s not so much everyone controlling there own character as everyone adding on to the story. So everyone please try to controlling your own character and a minimum of everyone else’s. Just a heads up. ☺

Farley heard the mink before she saw it, she heard it romp across the field and slip into the water then the tell tale snap and splash of it catching a fish, “mmmmmm” she murmured, “fish .” She slipped around to the reeds the mink was hiding behind and silently crawled forward, she knew messing with a mink ‘s food was a risk, but she was hungry. If I can only grab the fish, she thought, I know I can out run the mink. She reached forward with her jaws and snagged the fish’s tail. The mink’s head jerked up, uh oh.

Jazzyfresh

As soon as Farley was the look in the mink’s eyes she knew she was in for a fight, “I can take it from here” she said her voice was casual yet somehow dangerous at the same time, she glared at the mink and started backing away with the fish.

Crazywriter: your turn!

Crazywriter

Note: If you see me put a word in ” it means thats italicized.

Ferguson was incensed.

This fox was taking ‘his’ fish! The gall! He snarled, and hurled himself at her, teeth aimed for her back.

Your turn

Jazzyfresh

This should be good!

Farley turned to run but felt a presence closing in on her from behind her at high speed. She felt hot breath on her back and rolled to the left, than Immediately felt a sharp pain on her tail, She howled in pain, then in fury, as she turned on the mink attached to her tail. With a snarl she turned on him, teeth bared, ears flat against her head, eyes full of fury, she swiped at his face. Still clutching the fish.

Jazzyfresh

Hang on, she dropped the fish when she opened her mouth. Sorry. 😁

Crazywriter

Ferguson toppled back, catching the claws of the fox full in the face. He yelped, then snarled again.

The only way he could win is by going for the throat. Or the fish.

He chose the latter, and darted for the fish then turned to run, the massive trout in his mouth.

Your turn.

Birds Rock

Here is my first post!

Faith woke up and stretched. The second week alone had been tough for her. Faith was living in a hollow tree for now. Faith went in search for her favorite foods, Grasshoppers and Earthworms. Faith roamed the forest in search of a rotten log. Finally, she found one! She ate till her heart’s content of Grasshoppers, Earthworms, and a whole bunch more insects. Faith pricked up her little ears and listened. She heard a fox and maybe a mink? Faith ran as fast as her little stubby legs could carry her. Faith loved the end of summer but hated the more activeness of her enemies before the fall snows. Faith didn’t like being alone. But no one likes a hedgehog and her quills.

Jazzyfresh

Farley shot after the mink who had, after getting a face full of Farley’s claws, grabbed the fish and ran. Farley charged him and grabbed the lower half of the fish and jerked on it, and to her surprise, had half of it in her mouth. The other half, she saw was in the mink’s mouth, good enough, she thought then ran top speed into the woods. A minute later she slowed and checked behind her, she didn’t see anything besides a small snail slowly inching up the trunk of a small oak. She sighed with relief than set her hard earned fish on the forest floor, well, half a fish, she thought. She turned and licked her tail clean of the small amount of blood that the other predators might smell, especially the wolves who where known for there sharp sense of smell. After tending to herself she settled down for her hard earned meal, she heard a rustling to her left, her head shot up and she gazed into the thick underbrush. She Saw nothing. She closed her eyes and her ears twitched forward, turning this way and that to find what was in the bushes. She listened to the patterns of the critter, it’s small and tall … no, short. Small and short, with a found-ish body … hedgehog. Farley turned back to her meal, a groundhog didn’t worry Farley, sure they hurt if you got to close, but they weren’t interested in her fish. All she was worried about where the wolves, THEY would be interested in her fish for a snack, interested in herfor a snack, Farley glanced around to make sure. She hoped they didn’t smell her fish, blood, or anything else that would make them hungry for a unsuspecting fox. She might be able to defend herself against one wolf (she was unusually fierce for a fox) but a whole pack would be to much. She ate quicker, just in case.

Denali

Akaya charged down the hill at the head of the pack, her nose pricking with scents of all shades. She smelled a deer in the distance, a juicy one by the scent of it. She howled to her pack and they sped on, but she smelled something else. Blood. It wasn’t a strong scent, but it was coming from behind her – the direction she had smelled the fox earlier. She instructed Anutelle to lead the pack in pursuit of the deer while she went off to check something. Anutelle took the lead, and Akaya veered off into the woods. Without the pounding of furry paws behind her, she could smell and hear even better. She easily followed the scent. She didn’t intend to hurt the fox. In fact, she considered foxes small brothers and sisters to wolves. However, she had a feeling that the fox wasn’t going to be thinking the same thing. She snuck behind a row of bushes and made out the form of a pretty she-fox eating a fish. Her tail was trickling blood, and from the rumpled appearance of her fur, it looked like she had been in a fight.

Oh well, Akaya thought. I just want to ask her if she thinks something’s happening.

The sense that something was wrong had been growing stronger in Akaya’s mind, and she trusted the fox’s judgement better than her own. The little creature was shrewd. Foxes had to survive on their own. They didn’t have a pack behind them to protect them, and besides, Akaya was the pack leader. She had a lot on her mind with keeping her pack safe and hadn’t been considering the options of what could be wrong in the usually pleasant, though rather violent, forest. She scuttled to a closer stand of bushes and observed the fox for a little longer. Finally, she decided it was time to act. She crept forward, making sure that the fox had a mode if escape so she wouldn’t feel trapped. When she was two and half tail lengths away, she poked her head out of the bushes.

“Psst!” She whispered.

Hey Jazzyfresh, so let me know if you don’t want to have this confrontation. Sorry that was a little spur of the moment, but I feel like it’s fun if there’s a surprise confrontation like that. I also won’t be able to post until Tuesday. Sorry…

~Denali

Jazzyfresh

Denali: I don’t mind at all if they meet. I like it!

As Farley finished the last bite of her fish she heard a noise from behind her “Psst!” She jumped and whirled around. A silvery wolf crouched within pouncing distance behind her, Farley flattened her ears behind her, bared her teeth, and her fur bristled as she jumped out of pouncing range. She readied herself for a fight, but one glance at the wolf’s face told her that a fight would not be necessary, the wolf was at ease, relaxed, not the tense poised posture of a hunting wolf. Farley studied the wolf, the wolf was a young she-wolf with silvery fur and green eyes, she seemed to want to say somthing. where there’s a wolf there’s a pack. Farley thought and glanced around nervously, saw nothing, heard nothing (except for the hedgehog) and smelled nothing. She was safe at least for the moment, Farley turned to the wolf, Farley’s ears cocked forward and she stood up from her crouch, she was ready to run but wanted to here what the wolf had to say, “Helo?” She asked, her voice wary.

Denali

I like that idea. Akaya’s going to be having a bit of a grief spell when everybody meets because she will have just lost her entire pack.

I like it, Jazzyfresh! Here’s Akaya’s response.

Akaya studied the fox. She was beautiful, but it was obvious she was terrified. Akaya almost tensed in anticipation, but she reminded herself to appear relaxed.

“Hello?” the fox whispered.

“Hello. I don’t want to hurt you. I just have a question,” Akaya answered, sitting down and letting her hips lop to one side so that it was obvious she couldn’t pounce easily.

Jazzyfresh

Sounds good!

“Helo. I don’t want to hurt you. I just have a question.” Said the silvery wolf as she sat down. Farley relaxed, the wolf was making it obvious that she didn’t mean any harm, and if she did she would have pounced when she had the chance, it wasn’t the wolves way to toy with there pray. Farley sat down, her back straight and her her cocked sideways, she had heard of predators talking to smaller prey before and rarely for advice but never in her day, it had all been a before she was born, and rarely in her mother’s life. She looked at the wolf and noticed the uneasy feeling from this morning, it had never gone away but she had forgotten it. Now it was rising in intensity and unable to ignore, was it just her, or was something really wrong? She would ask the wolf after it asked Farley it’s question. “What’s your question?” Farley asked, a bit confused herself.

Crazywriter

Ferguson took off with his half of a fish. He figured that it would be better to have half of one, than not. He ran back to his den, and finished his meal. Afterwards, he decided to walk through the woods a bit, get a little exercise. He slowly walked out of the tunnel and into the woods

Denali

That works for me, Jazzyfresh!

“What’s your question?” the fox asked, still nervous, and obviously puzzled.

Akaya forced herself to keep calm and appear relaxed. She would never have hurt the fox, but she had to fight the urge to tense at the waves of near panic pouring over her – panic about something she couldn’t see, hear, or smell.

“Have you noticed anything weird? I respect your judgement and I want to know if you think something’s wrong. I’ve been feeling uneasy all morning.” Akaya blurted. She figured she might as well come straight out and ask the question before the fox lost patience or composure.

Crazywriter

As Ferguson strolled through the woods. The sun was reaching noon, and he marveled at the creatures around him, thinking of how great the Creator had made things.

He hopped onto a rock, looking for a squirrel to pass, but saw none, and he moved on.

He enjoyed the walk, but something about today’s felt different. Something inside the earth was wrong. Very, very wrong.

Crazywriter

Ferguson caught a scent of something.

Porcupine? No, that wasn’t it. Hedgehog. He quickly followed it, though not because he was hungry.

He amended the thought he had before. You could almost always trust a hedgehog. And more than that, they were wise. He wanted some advice. So he ran toward the scent as fast as he could.

Jazzyfresh

Denali: that would be fun!

Farley blinked, so it wasn’t just her, something was actually wrong. She stared at the wolf, a hundred questions racing through her head, she blinked again as she remembered the wolf was still waiting for an answer, “your not the only one.” Farley said “something is wrong, I can’t see it, smell it, or hear it but something is not Wright. ” as soon as the words left her mouth she sat bolt upright and her eyes widened in fear, “I can hear it” she whispered. She knew foxes had better hearing than most critters and that she might be the only one hearing it right now, it was a deep rumbling sound that seemed to come from under her paws, it was very faint but getting louder by the second, soon she would not be the only one to hear it. “Its coming.” She said leaping to her feet.

And the plot thickens. 😛

Crazywriter

Ferguson lost the scent, and stopped.

A sudden vibration shook the wood. He ducked, and ran into the hollowed trunk of a tree.

The earth shook

Denali

Akaya’s eyes widened. The fox felt it too! Suddenly, the little canine sat up rigidly, her ears pricked forward. Akaya took the cue and listened. She could hear a weird, faint rumbling beneath her paws, as if the earth were about to loose a great belch.

“It’s coming!” the fox cried.

Akaya felt the earth start to shake under her paws. She leapt to her feet and spun around. She knew there was nothing she could do, so she tried to decide where to go. The first thought that crossed her mind was she had to protect herself. The second thought that popped up was that she was separated from her pack and unable to help them. She decided that Anutelle was responsible enough to deal with the situation. So without a second thought, she sprang off the flip-flopping earth toward the fox. She landed atop the little creature, careful not to scrape her with her claws. She felt the need to protect the she-fox, even if she was a fox and not a wolf.

Jazzyfresh

Farley crouched down as the ground heaved, she felt as if she was standing on a broken bridge instead of the forest floor she had come to trust, her ears flattened back and she sunk low to the trembling ground. She saw a mink dart into a hollow tree trunk, a crevice open in the ground as if it had cracked open, birds flew from trees in a panic, and a brow and white rabbit ran for cover. She believed the world was coming to an end. Her eyes which had been darting around frantically focused on the silver wolf who had sprang to her feet and was bounding towards her shakeily. Farley tried to run but was knocked of her paws by the shaking ground, she tumbled and her back left paw got stuck in the crevice, she scrambled to get away but she was stuck, the wolf was upon her, she bared her teeth but knew it would be over soon. Then ,to her surprise, the wolf landed on top of her so they she was surrounded by the wolf’s paws as if in a cage. She stared up at the wolf, and was shocked to find that the wolf was protecting her, Farley was dumbfounded, the wolf was protecting her! she had never in her life expected a wolf, or any animal, to go out of there way to help her, a fox. the wolf’s presence comforted her and helped quiet the fear inside her a little and she was thankful for it. Then the ground have a large heave and Farley’s fear returned, she whimpered. She was used to being able to fight of anything that tried to hurt her, but now she was helpless and trapped, it scared her to be so helpless and exposed.

Denali

Akaya felt terror and tension race up and down her spine. She stood over the fox and forced herself to grip the roiling earth. She had always felt so safe, so secure, on the earth beneath her paws, but now she was doubting that she would ever trust it again. She heard the fox whimper beneath her.

“Shh, hey, being scared isn’t gonna help!” Akaya whispered. “Just grip the ground and try to stay calm. There’s not much more we can do, I’m afraid.”

Akaya had to remind herself to heed her own instructions. Never before had she felt so out of control. As the pack leader, she had always taken into account every little thing that could go wrong, and she had provided for it. Her pack had always made it out unscathed. Now she felt her heart swell with terror over what was happening to her pack. But even as her emotions spun out of control on the inside, she remained cool and calm on the outside. She didn’t want the fox to have another reason to worry.

Crazywriter

Ferguson cowered under the tree. The earth shook so much he got dizzy. He felt like he was going to faint, but rallied his courage and stayed conscious. He scraped at his ears, trying to soften the ear-wrenching noise.

And then suddenly, all was quiet. He slowly raised his head. He waited a moment, wondering if it would come back again. But it didnt. He slowly looked out of the tree.

Everything was different.

Jazzyfresh

Farley felt a pang of anger, ‘being scared isn’t gonna help ‘ ?! That’s all the wolf could … No, being angry wasn’t gonna help either, she reminded herself that the wolf was helping Farley when most others would save there own skins. She shut her jaws tight and glanced at the wolf as the ground shook, the wolf looked calm and relaxed but farley knew she was as scared as she was. Farley tried to pull her leg free again but was still stuck. She almost cried out again but held her self back, but she couldn’t help trembling. She could tell this was something deeper than she had ever experienced, that’s what scared her the most, her ears where larger in Proportion than most animals and she could tell this power was stronger and more deep than any she had ever known. Then, it stoped. All was still as if the forest was holding its breath waiting to see if it was over, then animals started peeking there heads out to see if it was over. Trees lay flattened, deep cracks had opened in the ground, and Ackerley forest was shaken and afraid. Farley tried once again to pull herself free but her leg was wedged I between the two sides of the crevice tightly, she sighed, the wolf would probably go and find her pack and she would be left here to find a way out by her self.

I had a Idea about a name for the book! How bout “Escape from Ackerley”. We could wait till the end of the book to make it but try saying “Escape from Ackerley” out loud, Yea, I’m talking to you, say it! Has a ring to it don’t ya think? Anyone have a suggestion?

Denali

I love the name, Jazzy! 🙂

Akaya braced herself against the ground. Just as soon as the rocking started, it stopped. She looked up, her jaw clenched. The whole forest looked entirely different. Trees were displaced, crevasses spanned previously unmarred portions of ground, and animals stumbled about deliriously. Akaya took a deep breath and untangled herself from the fox. She started to walk off when she noticed that the fox’s foot was stuck in a crevice in the ground. She took a deep breath. Akaya desperately wanted – needed – to find her pack, but she had to help the fox. She turned and walked back to the she-fox, who was struggling to remove her foot.

Akaya said, “hold still.”

She reached down and gently mouthed the fox’s ankle. She tested the give and discovered that the foot was too firmly wedged to be removed by tugging. She dug into the solid ground and widened the hole, then took ahold of the fox’s foot again and tugged it out of the hole.

“Are you okay?” she asked.

Crazywriter

Ferguson sniffed the air. He smelled hedgehog. He glanced to his right, and saw a wolf and fox, and figured he should skeedaddle. He made his way to the hedgehog scent

Jazzyfresh

Farley, blinked as she stood up, “I’m ok” she said, still shocked at the wolf’s kindness, she was extremely grateful for the help she never expected to revive. It was a wolves instinct to help the pack, Farley thought, but at the moment this wolf had no pack so she had turned her kindness to Farley instead, and that, she was grateful for. It was Farley’s instinct as a fox, to run for her life and save herself when trouble arose, a instinct she often fought to help those smaller and weaker than her self, like the brown and white rabbit from this morning. She looked at the wolf “Thank you” she said Stuttering, “can I help you find your pack?” She asked the wolf. She wanted to help the wolf who had been so kind to her.

Denali

The fox stood up, clearly in a daze. Akaya watched her, unsure of what to do next.

“I’m okay,” the fox said shakily.

Akaya nodded.

“Can I help you find your pack?” the fox asked.

Akaya did a double take. Had the fox just asked if she could help AKAYA?! Akaya thought about it. Major disasters had been known to break down walls of violence between animals. That was exactly what was happening here. Akaya nodded.

“Um, yeah, that would be amazing. I’m really worried about them. What’s your name, by the way?” Akaya stuttered.

Crazywriter

Ferguson followed the scent to a small burrow. He lost it, then caught it again, and followed it down, into a small tunnel under the earth. He glanced warily at the gaping crack in the earth some hundred yards away. It was good he was small. He could fit through the tunnel.

I should help as many as i can. He thought.

Rebekah12

I was awakened jarringly from my slumber, and looked around in confusion for a moment. I couldn’t, for the life of me, understand what has making the wolves so agitated. The pups were snuggled up against my sides, fast asleep. They clearly weren’t bothered. But then. . . why me, and not them? Then the words of my elders, which before had gone over my head, breached the barrier of sleep that still clouded my mind.

The portion of the pack that had left to hund about an hour before I snuck out to fly in the stormcloud had returned, but one was missing. Kaldir, the pack’s leader. But why wouldn’t he have come back to the den? It didn’t make any sense. Or maybe you’re missing something, I realized. No, wait. . . I don’t think I am.

Minutes passed. . . I didn’t know how many. I shifted my position slowly, so as not to disturb the sleeping pups. But even so, Dir, the runt of the litter, gently lifted her head. Her ears perked up, and she blinked dazedly, then yawned. “Silent? What’s going on?”

I eased to my feet, stepping carefully away from the rapidly-reforming puppy sleep pile. “Kaldir hasn’t returned with the hunters. I don’t know why.”

A snarl sounded form outside the cave, not a hostile noise, but a warning. Kaldir bounded up, stopping just outside the den. “Earthquake!” he bellowed. “Get outside now, before we risk a care-in.”

Tremors began beneath my feet.

The pups, who had awakened at Kaldir’s call, whimpered and cowered, trembling and terrified. I looked down at the unsteady earth beneath my feet, then up again. I had vague memories of earthquakes, minor, and at the very back of my mind, but this was beyond those. I could feel the intensity of this earthquake growing with every passing second.

Dir gave a little yelp as a small rock fell from the ceiling, striking her on the top of her head, and slid underneath me for shelter. Mother leapt forward, and grabbed one of the pups by the scruff of his neck. Other wolves grabbed other pups, and ran out of the den.

I blinked, and the daze that I was in left me. I moved to the side, picking up Dir as gently as I could, and sprinted for the den entrance. More rocks began to fall from the ceiling as the earthquake worsened, and without a single thought, I flung Dir outside the cave. She sailed through the air, landing on her feet about three meters from the den’s entrance.

Larger rocks fell from the ceiling at the cave entrance, and I dove forward. A large rock crashed onto one of my paws, and pain flashed through me, more intense than any I’d ever known. I jerked back, my paw coming free, my mouth wide open in a silent cry. I reared backward so far that I crashed down on my back. I quickly rolled to my feet, holding my injured paw high in the air. It was almost completely crushed, and fled in several places, hanging limp.

A thundrous roar sounded milliseconds later as more rocks crashed down on a great heap, blocking the entrance — the entrance that was my only exit.

Forcing myself to ignore the pain in my paw, I moved forward, haltingly, and on three legs, toward the blockage. It was only a couple of feet, and I made it there with little trouble. I pushed experimentally on it with my good front paw, and felt the pile settle more at my touch. I braced myself against the pile, and pushed against it with the flat top of my head. Nothing. Forcing back the fear that was trying to push down its hastily-constructed dam, I tried again, this time wedging my head sideways between two rocks, once more with no success. The fear creeping into the corners of my mind, I tried to tell myself that I wasn’t stuck — I would find a way out in a little while. But I was lying to myself, and I knew it.

After continual unsuccessful tries to move the rocks, I paused for a break. If only, said a soft voice in my mind, you could make a sound. Then you wouldn’t be in this mess. The pack would come and help you out.

Oh, shut up, I growled mentally. I don’t need your useless input on my situation.

I”m only trying to help, the imaginary voice said.

Well, then you’re doing an awful job of it.

I shook my head, and looked back at the heap of tightly-wedged rocks. Time to try again.

Then I heard it. The sound. My ears perked up at the steady noise, and I looked over my shoulder. The sound grew louder and swifter, and a shiver ran down my spine. There was a wetness in the ground beneath my back paws. The sound was that of running water, and, losing all sense of reason, I attacked the rock wall before me viciously in utter desperation. The den was going to flood, and I had no way out.

Birds Rock

Faith felt the earth shake beneath her. She rolled into her protective ball and stayed where she was. Faith felt so scared as she heard all the turmoil going on. As soon as it stopped Faith unrolled herself and took a look around. The forest was in mass destruction. Trees were on their sides, and cracks were everywhere. Faith went to go check on her family in their burrow. Faith was disappointed when she got there. Her family was gone. “They must have moved” Faith mused. She went down and smelled a mink after her. She ran until the end of the tunnel and rolled into a ball. As the mink got closer Faith let out a whimper. “Please don’t hurt me! I’m just a helpless hedgehog trying to find my family after the earthquake!”

Crazywriter

Ferguson looked at the prickly ball in front of him.

“It’s ok. I aint gonna hurt you. Do you know what happened?”

Jazzyfresh

Do you have a plan for getting silent out? If not, maybe one of the other groups can save her. Also, I just realized it makes sense that silent is in “first person” because she can’t speak! Did you plan that out?

P.s. When you Wright about silent I can see it more clearly in my head because of watching the HTTYD movies, which makes it more fun to read your posts.😁and

Farley almost laughed when the wolf did a double take, “my name is Farley” she said “What’s yours?”

Rebekah12

Actually, I just couldn’t see myself writing in third person                          with “Silent” as my character’s name. But yes, now that you mention it, Jazzyfresh, it did work out nicely.

Rebekah12

Well, here’s my post!

___________________________________________________________

I was standing in about a foot of water, which showed no sign of going away. NononononononoNO!!!!! Ugh, stupid rocks. . . I rammed my head into them again, then tried to wedge one of my good paws into a crack, and pry a rock aside. I gritted my teeth, feeling nothing but determination. I’m not going to die. Not today. Not here, not now. I was nearly about to give up when I felt a rock give. My eyes widened a little, and I felt a surge of fresh strength run through me.

Soon, I had a large enough space to get my entire (good) front leg behind the rock, and work it out of the blockage enough that I could fit my body behind it, but it still supported dam’s weight, so that the entire thing didn’t come crashing down on me.

But the water was rising, and though, given enough time, I felt sure that I could get myself out of this mess, I didn’t have the time I needed. No, I growled inwardly. Not now. There’s still so much to life you haven’t experienced yet. Just keep going, Silent. Keep going.

I tried to wedge my good front paw into a tight crack between the next two rocks. It wouldn’t—couldn’t—fit. They were too close together, and the weight of the dam on top of them was too great for them to be movable. The first rock I’d moved must have been less of a support than these were.

A memory flashed before my mind’s eye, and even in the danger, I stopped to watch it play out.

Mother was sitting next to a younger me, just outside the den entrance. The pups wrestled not far away, and my ears had caught every grunt, every growl that they emitted.

“Why can’t I be like them?” I’d asked Mother.

She was silent, and I had turned my head away. Moments later, she had spoken. “Silent, do you know why I named you what I did?”

I had shaken my head, and she’d continued. “I gave you a name that I was sure would remind you of who you are on the inside. Great strength runs through you, daughter, though you may not be aware of it. I named you after it —- Silent Strength.”

“But what if you’re wrong?” I’d countered, not meeting her eyes, though I was facing her once more.

“Silent,” Mother said softly, “look at me.”

I’d obeyed after a moment of hesitation, and then she continued. “I don’t think it. I know it. You may not sense it yet within yourself, but you will.”

I opened my eyes again, vaguely surprised that I’d ever closed them. The sound of running water was louder now, but I ignored it. There has to be something. I know it.

I squeezed my eyes shut again, letting my instincts take over. And I listened to them. I reared back, throwing my mouth open wide as I tapped into a power I hadn’t known I had. Something hot and bright flew between my jaws, and my eyes flashed open as I returned to my three good feet, and the thing collided with the rock dam with a noise like thunder. Shards of rock flew everywhere, and I spread my wings to shield myself.

Sunlight flooded into the den, and I folded my wings again as the dust cleared. A portion of the dam —- the part I’d been trying to open —- had blown apart, and the rocks on either side bore black scorch marks, as though something extremely hot had passed just in front of them.

Not allowing myself to wonder what I’d just done, I bounded out through the opening. Moments later, I skidded to a stop, staring in shock at the forest all around. All around the den there was a small amount of water, the beginnings of an already-swift flood that would surely be hastened if there were aftershocks —- something that I suspected would happen, the earthquake had been so large. The forest, though. That looked as though a rabid, wild beast the size of a mountain had come tearing through it, knocking aside trees, and tearing up the ground. It was a disaster.

I hesitated, then spread my wings, and took to the air. My pack was nowhere to be seen, and I wasn’t sure how to find them. Dir was with them, though, and that was what mattered. I was out of the flooding den, and that was what mattered.

____________________________________________________________

It took me a while to decide if I wanted Silent to be able to breathe fire (yes, that’s what that was, in case you were wondering), but she IS a dragon, after all, so I decided that it made sense. And as for the whole flashback thing, that was a scene that I thought up a while ago, and wanted in here, but I didn’t know where to put it in the story.

Denali

“My name is Farley. What’s yours?” the fox answered, and Akaya could tell she was holding back a chuckle.

“Uh, I’m Akaya. Nice to meet you,” Akaya stammered. “So, where do you think we should look first?”

Jazzyfresh

Farley closed her eyes and listened, Instantly her mind was flooded with sounds, sounds of snapping twigs, the sound of a begging hedgehog, sounds of running animals, the sound of the wolves breathing beside her, and the sound of the river, which was oddly loud and quiet in a ever shifting pattern. But Farley ignored those sounds, she was searching for one specific sound, the sound of a wolf pack. As she sifted through the noise she was vaguely aware of the rivers abnormal behaviour, but that would have to wait. Her ears perked up as she located the sound she had been looking for “I think I found them” she told Akaya “but something doesn’t sound right … I think we should hurry” the last part of her sentence was tinged with worry. “This way” she called to Akaya as she ran into the forest.

Denali

Akaya dashed after Farley, sensing the tension in the little fox’s behavior. She pricked her ears, knowing she could hear as well as the fox, and listened for the unique sound of her sister’s breathing. She could hear it anywhere, anytime, and when she was separated from her pack, all she had to do was listen. Immediate panic seared her heart when she heard Anutelle’s breathing – ragged, shallow, and weak. She could hear her sister’s imminent death in the gasping huffs. Akaya tore after Farley, quickly outpacing the smaller canine. She had to reach her sister. Just then, the ground shifted – again. Akaya tumbled onto her side and waited for the shaking to stop, then stood and started running again, checking behind her to make sure Farley was okay.

Crazywriter

Ferguson stood over the hedgehog. Awaiting the answer.

“Um…Hey? Did you hear me?” The hedgehog remained silent. He pawed her, and instantly regretted it, getting a prick in his paw.

Jazzyfresh

Farley tore after Akaya who had passed her when she had caught the sound. Then the ground shook and Akaya waited it out while Farley managed to keep her feet and gain some ground, she caught up to Akaya as Akaya glanced back to check on her, Farley gave her a worried look and they sped on. Farley knew somewhat what Akaya was feeling, she had felt the same feeling when her mother was in danger, but probably not as intense as Akaya was feeling, after all, wolves had a stronger bond to there family than foxes. Sometimes Farley had wanted to feel the connection that wolves felt, but never could, now she felt she was getting a taste of what it was like, she was glad about that but was worried about Akaya, if they where hearing the same thing than Akaya might be in for a rough day. Farley dodged a tree and bounded of a stump and over a thorn bush then skidded to a stop in a clearing.

Denali

Akaya slammed on the brakes as she tore into a clearing. The wide stretch of unmarred ground led to a gorge on the far side, and what Akaya saw nearly choked her. Wolves lay broken and battered, scattered throughout the canyon. Her wolves. Every single wolf under her was here.

“Anutelle!” she cried. Her voice quavered with fear – and understanding as to what was happening. Anutelle had probably led the pack to the clearing when the ground started shaking, trying to get away from the trees. It was a good plan, but then the ground had split under them. They had tried to fight themselves out but it was no use. So they had plummeted to the bottom. Akaya crept all the way up the edge, looking for a way down. She spotted her sister’s lithe body on the ground, and she whined in pain. She had already lost both her parents and her other sister. Now she was going to lose the last family member she had? That was when she spotted the line of clefts that, with careful footing, could be used to reach the bottom. She turned to Farley.

“Can you climb?” she asked, trying to keep her voice from shaking.

Jazzyfresh

Farley was nervous but determined to help Akaya’s family, she nodded and stepped down to the first rock then jumped down to the second, “This is more easy than I thought.” She said, but even as the words escaped her mouth the ground shook. The rock on which she was standing on started to come lose, her eyes widened and she looked around frantically for something to steady her but all she could find was another rock ledge, it was to far of a jump to be sure about so she decided against it, the rock beneath her feet slipped again, she crouched down, hoping it would stop soon. but it didn’t. The rock started to crumble and Farley stood, her only chance was the ledge, she crouched and sprang. To Farley, every thing seemed to come in short bursts, as she leaped the rock fell away, broken loose by a sort burst of stronger trembling, her leap was made imperfect by the unbalanced ground from which she had leaped and she started to flip mid air, I’m going to die. She was almost upside down when she neared the ledge but managed to right her upper half and land with her front paws on the ledge and her back paws scrabbling for a foot hold hanging over the abyss. She found a small foot hold and lunged upwards, her back paw made it to the top and she started to pull her self up but a sudden jolt from the still shaking ground sent her lower half below the edge again. She yelped in fear and started to slip. She lost her hold and fell down down down.

NOOOOOO! she spun and flipped trying to find something to grab, to hold, to save her from the Rocky floor below. She set her paws pointed down so She could land on her feet but she knew it was no use, she would be crushed. She blinked and found herself in a bush, no … wait, a root. A large root that stuck out from the rock wall. Huh, well THAT was a relief. She had fallen into the root and was suspended ten feet from a steep mound of pebbles that was about five feet high that led to the ground (which had stoped shaking). She tried to untangle her self but found that the root was bending, she grabbed at it but it was to slippery and she fell again “nonono!” She yelped and landed on the mound hard on her right shoulder. She tumbled and slid down the slope, finely landing on the solid ground in a tumble. She slowly stood and shook her self, she was bruised but no serious injuries. “Your turn!” She called up to Akaya.

Denali

Akaya watched as Farley daringly leapt into the canyon. She was horrified when the ground started shaking and her new friend was flipped into midair. She watched as Farley’s life seemed to be in peril, but then the fox managed to right herself, at which point she landed under a root. No sooner had Akaya sighed with relief before the root started slipping and Farley was tumbling. The little fox slid the rest of the way into the canyon, landed on her side in the bottom, then picked herself up and looked up at Akaya, yelling, “your turn!”

Akaya snorted with relief and laughter, then carefully picked her way down the canyon wall. To her relief, the climb was not nearly so eventful for her as it had been for Farley, and she quickly reached the bottom. But her happiness at both of them making it down safely was snuffed out when she again saw her sister.

“Anutelle!” she cried, dashing to Anutelle’s broken, battered body. She slid to a halt beside her sister and nudged her. “Anutelle, can you hear me?”

Anutelle’s eyelids fluttered. “Akaya?” she managed to whisper.

“Anutelle! Yes, it’s me,” Akaya whispered back.

“Akaya, the pack…they didn’t…they didn’t make it,” Anutelle faltered.

“I know, sister.”

“Akaya…I’m…sorry.” Anutelle was fading.

“Anutelle, I forgive you. Don’t leave me yet. I have to tell you something.”

Anutelle nodded weakly.

“There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you since Quilla died. There’s a secret. An awful secret about our family. And…and it’s catching up…” Akaya trailed off as she watched Anutelle breathe her last. She had desperately wanted to tell her sister what had haunted her all these years, but it appeared that this was not to be. She sobbed and laid her head on Anutelle’s battered flank, unaware of Farley or the other dead wolves or the aftershock that shook the canyon yet again.

Jazzyfresh

Rebekah: feel free to join silent with any other characters whenever you want!

Farley braced herself again as the ground shook yet again. She was starting to get annoyed at the trembling and bouncing, but the fear was still there. She crouched low to the ground, her annoyance at the shaking, her pity for Akaya, and sorrow for the other wolf, mingled inside of her into exhaustion. She felt tired from all the days excitement and tired from all the complicated feelings inside of her. Farley’s head drooped, then she noticed a large rock at the top of the high rock wall, it stood as a dam against other rocks so that it the one rock fell, all the other rocks would fall. And it was shaking loose. “Akaya!” She called.

Denali

Akaya’s head snapped up from where she was weeping over her sister, and she quickly lifted her head to see Farley pointing to an awful sight with her snout. Akaya gasped. The rock that held back a landslide was shaking lose. If they didn’t get out of there fast, they would be buried under the mud, plants, and rocks that were about to plummet into the canyon. With one last sorrowful look at her sister’s mangled body, she yelled, “come on!” and dashed down the canyon to the right. She knew they had to get out, but it would be safer and less precarious to run to the end of the canyon where it would most likely taper off and make it easier to climb out. But her heart leapt into the throat when she saw the canyon. It sloped down, down, down into a fiery, burning chasm. Heat rose from it even here, and there was no way to cross it. Akaya swung around and looked at Farley, out of ideas. She forced herself to stay calm and said, “Any ideas?”

Okay, so FYI I’m gonna be totally off the grid for a week so I’m not gonna be able to post for awhile. Sorry!

~Denali

Jazzyfresh

Farley blinked. “Nope” she said, and Scanned the gorge for any sign of hope. She spied a large horizontal crack about fifteen feet of the ground that looked reachable, she looked at the fire filled chasm and the soon-to-come landslide. “Follow me!” She called and ran, ” If we can climb into that crack the landslide might not be able to reach us and the debris might fill in the fire pit! ” Farley panted over her shoulder “it might build a sort of bridge.” She scrambled over to the base of the wall where the crack was directly over head and started to climb. It was steep and hard to climb but she managed to squeeze into the large crack, she stood up and called for Akaya. She was able to stand up but had to flatten her ears so they didn’t rub painfully on the rock ceiling, it would be a tight fit for Akaya. Farley crouched down and pressed herself against the wall to make room for her wolf friend.

Denali

Akaya followed Farley’s gaze and spotted the crack. It looked reachable, but Akaya wasn’t sure she could fit her bulk into it. She watched as Farley leapt and scrambled into the crack, then followed her. She scrabbled for purchase along the slick wall, quickly finding footholds.

Climbing was never my strong point, she thought grimly to herself as she missed a cleft and nearly tumbled back into the gorge. Finally, she pulled herself into the crack beside her friend. She shoved herself against the back of it and flattened her ears, hissing in pain when she felt one of them tear. She felt the warm blood soak the surrounding fur, but she didn’t care. She pressed herself against the back wall, thinking how much she felt like she was in one of those cans of sardines that the hunters sometimes brought into the forest. Just then, the landslide broke loose and flooded into the gorge.

Jazzyfresh

Farley scooted to the edge and watched the flood of rocks, branches, and other debris rush to the hole and fall in. She scooted back “maybe we should sleep here for the night” she suggested, then noticed Akaya’s cramped position, “or would you rather wait for the landslide to stop and try to find a way out?” She noticed how Akaya looked oddly like a sardine in a can, then she saw her torn ear and winced. “That might be a better option for you …”

Crazywriter

Ferguson continued down the tunnel, leaving the hedgehog. He made his way deeper down, until he got uncomfortable, because it was so dark. He was about to turn back when he burst into the light. He was back in the forest

Rebekah12

I. Am. Back.

Sorry for my absence, guys! I totally forgot this existed, and only remembered when I was off the grid for my camping trip a few days ago. SORRY.

I beat my wings once as I flew, then glided, letting the wind press my ears flat against the back of my neck as I looked down. It was only a matter of time until the entire part of the forest where I’d lived was flooded, and the rest was suffering enormous damage. I sped up my flight, then dove lower, scanning the land below me for an debris-free stream. After a couple of minutes, I spotted one, and dove still lower, landing carefully on three legs. I slunk toward it, moving awkwardly, then dipped my head in for a drink. After a couple of gulps, I dipped my hurt paw in, and let the cool, clear water run over it, ignoring the throbbing. If only Mother was here, I thought. She would know what to do. I shook my head, and sighed. But she’s not. Don’t waste time wishing for things to be different. Accept them how they are, and deal with them.

My ears pricked up at the sound of a low rumbling. A landslide, maybe. I straightened, and spread my wings, then launched into the air. I rose quickly above the treetops, then higher still as I started to fly away as quickly as I could. No. Wait. There could be animals trapped there, I realized. Fighting my instincts, I turned around, and flew back the way I had come, toward the sound.

In mere minutes, I had reached the site. Earth and trees slid down into a deep gorge, where bubbling, bright-red magma could be seen at the bottom. I sure hope no animals are caught in that.

I thought I’d try to work Silent toward some other group members a bit. If you have other plans, I can wait, though.

Denali

Akaya smiled wryly at Farley, who stared at her torn ear and winced. She glanced out at the roiling mass of mud and branches, and winced too. Then she looked up at the tree-choked sky, and stifled a gasp. She could see a winged beast flying through the the air above the gorge. It looked oddly like a lizard with wings…

“I would love to get out of here, but there’s one problem…” Akaya said, thinking how (not!) wonderful it would be if they stepped out on, for all practical purposes, quicksand, only to be eaten alive by…whatever that was in the sky!

Sorry I haven’t posted for a few days! We’re having a bit of a computer usage fiasco over here in my world! 🙂

~Denali

Crazywriter

Ferguson darted out from the tunnel, and decided to head for the lake. Or what was left with it. He ran without looking, and ran headfirst into a large wolf.

*Scream*

Jazzyfresh

That made me laugh for some reason. I thought it was funny the way he said scream.😄

Farley glanced at the still flowing river of rubble “Good point” she said. Then cocked her head sideways, what is that sound? she had never heard it before but it sounded oddly reptilian, no it couldn’t be, lizards didn’t fly. Or did they? “I’m losing my mind” Farley muttered to herself, and shook her head to clear it. Then she saw Akaya’s wide eyes and followed her gaze, a giant flying lizard. Sure! That makes sense! “yup. Definitely going nutty.” She walked over to the corner, curled up in a ball and Slept.

Crazywrighter: was that Akaya that Ferguson ran into?

Denali

haha me SCREAM

Akaya watched as Farley’s face alternated between terror and disbelief at the strange creature flying through the sky. She stifled a laugh. The fox looked like she thought she was losing her mind.

“Yup. Definitely going nutty,” was all Farley said before curling up in the far corner of the crack.

Akaya rolled her eyes and tried to think of what to do. There was no way she was going to be able to sleep, squashed in here as she was. She stared out at the flowing landslide. It occurred to her that if they waited long enough, the river would probably just dump into the magma-filled crevasse at the end of the gorge. She hoped it would. After shifting positions to little avail, Akaya dozed off into an awkward half-sleep, conscious of her still-bleeding ear. That worried her. She hoped it wasn’t her secret.

Denali

Okay here goes. (Farley can be like me and sleep through EVERYTHING!) 😀

Akaya jolted awake as a small creature rammed into her from the side and screamed. She had managed to fall all the way asleep despite her extremely stilted, awkward, generally haphazard and painful position. She looked around blearily, trying to understand what was happening. The first think she noticed was that the landslide had flowed in such a way that it created a hill from one side of the gorge down to her crack. The next thing she noticed was that her ear had stopped bleeding. And the last thing she saw was a small brown creature staring up at her, terrified. It was a mink.

“Oh…hi. Uh, who are you?” She managed to slur from the edges of her groggy sleep. She felt like she had been drugged.

Crazywriter

Ferguson breathed heavily. The wolf looked around groggily. Maybe he should run while it was still sleepy. But then it said, “Hi, who are you?”

Maybe he could make some allies. Besides, with a wolf on your side, not much would attack you. At least not in these woods.

“My names ferguson.

Denali

Akaya shook her head quickly. It helped clear the fog.

“My names Ferguson.” the mink said warily.

Akaya nodded. “Hi Ferguson. I’m Akaya. Don’t worry, I won’t eat you.”

She shifted to get off her back right leg, which had fallen entirely asleep. She glanced over at Farley’s sleeping form and rolled her eyes, surprised her friend hadn’t awoken when the mink screamed. Oh well, she thought.

Rebekah12

*scream* LOL so not used to seeing that in writing like that.

____________________________________________________________

I shook my head, seeing nothing, and started to swerve away from the landslide. I hadn’t gone far when an ear-piercing shriek of terror from somewhere far below reached me. My ears perked up, and I turned back around sharply, flying faster toward the sudden, unexpected noise. It was gone as suddenly as it had come, but I had already made a guess of where it had been located —- right on the crack of the place everything was sliding down. Something — no, not something, someone, I reminded myself — was trapped down there.

I swooped low, still maintaining an altitude of about four meters, then lower still — as low as I dared, only one meter up now. I could hear voices, now, somewhere ahead. The first was the sleepy voice of a wolf — I’d know that way of speaking anywhere, it couldn’t be anything else — and the other was the alert, nervous voice of a smaller animal — I couldn’t identify its species.

I wanted to call out, to get the animals’ attention, but couldn’t. Ah, the joys of being me. Maneuvering as best I could to get in front of the crack, I paused, beating my wings a little awkwardly as I struggled to maintain my exact altitude and position, in front of the crack.

I peered in as best I could from my distance of four feet away, and saw the form of the wolf I’d heard, and the mink — I now realized that it was a mink — that it had been talking to. Off in a corner, harder to see, was the form of a fox.

I was still as I tried to figure out what signal would be best to portray friendship, goodwill, and come up with a sound I could make that would draw the animals’ attention to me.

That last part, it turned out, was unnecessary. Only a mere minute had passed before the wolf, having heard the sound of my wingbeats, turned, and looked right at me.

Oh snap, I thought, then began to signal rapidly, desperate to convey my intentions. “PLEASE don’t be afraid! I’m not here to hurt anyone.”

It was far from the best thing I’d come up with, and my movements were sloppy, but it was all I could think of.

Birds Rock

Faith followed Ferguson out of her old home. He seemed determined to get somewhere. Ferguson Went into a crack in the ground and screamed. Faith had to stay hidden but was worried about him even though yesterday he would have been an enemy. Faith saw a giant flying thing in the sky. Faith decided that if she was to survive, she HAD to be less timid. Faith took a leap, more of a fast run into the crack. She ran smack dab into a fox. Her quills stuck into the fox’s side. “Oops! Sorry fox!” Faith exclaimed. Then she noticed a wolf and that mink Ferguson.

Crazywriter

Ferguson saw the hedgehog he had just left behind him barrel into the fox. He was wary of all these creatures, yet with all the disaster around him, he found it necessary to band together.

“Oh, sorry fox!” He heard the hedgehog say.

He turned to the wolf. “Where are you headed?”

Jazzyfresh

Farley yelped and shot awake. “Sorry fox!” Called the voice of a hedgehog. Then Farley noticed the mink from earlier and started to snarl before noticing the giant flying lizard, and her snarl turned into another yelp. “We … What!?” She looked frantically around for Akaya before finding her talking to the mink. Farley shook herself free from the remaining sleepiness and was able to think more clearly. the landslide has stoped, oh good, it filled up the fire chasm. There’s a giant flying lizard hovering outside the crack, a mink, a hedgehog and Akaya. Oh, and I Slept Through the night she thought all of this in a matter of seconds. She crouched low to the ground and glanced around am the a wince, noticing that the hedgehogs painful collision is what had woke her.

“Akaya?” She called “what did I miss?” She

So glad your back birds rock!😁 I kinda missed you.

Denali

hahahahahahaha I’m laughing so hard right now!!!! This is SO great, you guys!!!

Akaya yawned again, trying to register all that was happening. Then everything happened at once.

“Where are you headed?” the mink asked.

Akaya opened her mouth to reply when she looked up to behold the flying lizard thing from earlier. The thing was motioning in a haphazard manner and was obviously trying to say something, but Akaya couldn’t tell what. The thing didn’t look like it wanted to hurt her, but she wasn’t going to let her guard down. Keeping her eyes on the lizard, she opened her mouth again to speak to Ferguson, but she was interrupted yet again by a yelp from beside her. She glanced over and saw a hedgehog crawling off of Farley, leaving some of its quills behind.

“Sorry, fox!” it said.

Farley looked around, started to snarl, then yelped again when she saw the flying lizard. By this time Akaya had entirely forgotten who she was talking to and what was going on. It was too chaotic!

“Akaya, what did I miss?” Farley asked, shaking Akaya back to the present.

Akaya rolled her eyes. “A lot,” she said, then remembered Ferguson. “Sorry Ferguson. We came to find my pack, but we found them and now I guess we’re not really planning on going anywhere at the moment.”

She turned back to Farley. “You only missed the part where I got screamed at, met a mink, saw a flying lizard, watched you get quilled, and got asked too many questions to answer all at once!” Akaya took a deep breath to calm down. She turned to the flying lizard thing.

“What’s your name?” she asked.

Jazzyfresh

Farley blinked, paused, and blinked again. “Waaa? … Um … Ok.” She Stammered, then turned to the hedgehog, “Hi. Why were you in such a rush?”

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 32 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest