fb

Fantasy Writers

“Escape from Ackerley” a collaborative story

Viewing 3 posts - 196 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • Author
    Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

Ferguson’s head swiveled when he heard the deep grunt of the funny-antler-thing, which sounded like a gravelly, “Mornin.”

Ferguson stared at him for a long time.

“Enjoy your sleep, bucko?” Ferguson said, with more than a twinge of sarcasm in his voice.

This wierdo is gonna slow us all down. He can’t really fend for himself, and if a bear or mountain lion comes out from nowhere, who’s gonna protect him? Not me. 

Rebekah12
    @rebekah12

*sees topic* *grabs it and dusts it off frantically* *places back on shelf*

_____________________________________________________________________________________

The sun was hardly risen when I opened my eyes. The ache inside had eased some, and I found that I could think a bit more clearly.

I stood, stretching as I allowed myself a moment to enjoy the cool morning air.

“Enjoy your sleep, bucko?” Ferguson mumbled sarcastically at Ash.

I looked up, shifting to an ordinary stance.

Ash, recognizing the mink’s tone, stepped back.

In that moment, watching his emotions through his eyes, I made it my personal mission to somehow make friends with Ash.

Which probably would be harder than it looked, but whatever.

I moved into his line of vision, and when I was sure that he’d seen me, I made the most universal signal of gratitude that I knew, something that, I was pretty sure, wasn’t limited to canines.

“Thank you for trying to help me last night.”

“Until such time as the world ends, we will act as though it intends to spin on.” -- Nick Fury

Jasmine
    @jasmine

Farley heard a sound. She heard running water and something else moving around. the air was cool, it whispered through her fur and brushed her whiskers. Where was she? Her den was small and earthy, not open and breezy.

She started awake, her eyes snapping open. Yesterday’s memories came to her in a rush and she shivered, though not from the cold.

The water no longer rushed and roared like it had yesterday, instead, it gurgled slowly, noticeably lower. She wondered what she would find when the water finally retreated all the way. She had a guess, but didn’t want to think about it right now.

She stood up and slipped blankly down to the water, head hanging low, tail dragging across the ground. She lapped up the brownish water, wandering what to do next. She would need to find a new home, but what about the others? She would wait to see what everyone else did.

Her eyes scanned the island and she sat down, cleaning the water from her whiskers with her tongue.

I AM afraid. I'm glad that I am. That tells me I need to be brave. ~W.M.

Viewing 3 posts - 196 through 198 (of 198 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Story Embers

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest