fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.5

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

It’s ok, he wasn’t offended, this wasn’t the first time he died.

Nathair awoke in another room much like the room for the first mirror, not a drop of blood on him, and that was a first. Well, it wasn’t a first it was just very rare. Especially when he blacked out.

Dying was awkward, dying was never not awkward. It required a lot more explanation that he was really willing to give.

‘You are a failure. I can see why your father didn’t love you.’

So. it was a lie to say Nathair didn’t feel emotions anymore, because he felt hatred in crystal clear nuances of reddened pain. But he didn’t feel emotions-except cognitively. He was completely, blindingly calm as he plotted the excruciating murder of the monster behind the mirrors. It was very odd thing that happened to him; just about anything else he could numb out and not feel but anger wasn’t a passive emotion. Perhaps, it was the last color he could see as clear and vibrantly as before. And maybe, he enjoyed the pain of having hate because it kept him alive.

“Go, restart in the next trial. Be warned though, you will only have two more chances. Perhaps you will do better in the next trial.”

“Go hook up a ghoul.” Nathair mumbled acidly.

What was with that other person It summoned- Nithel. “No guilt” indeed, everyone’s guilty of some measure of greed, some selfishness, some part that’s willing to do whatever it takes for you want more than anything. Selfishness was a survival instinct.

Just because he wouldn’t admit it to the monster didn’t mean he believe he was a greedy, selfish murderer.

“Accept your unforgiveness and vengefulness.”

“Fine. Can I start with killing you?”

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

Did I black out?

Did I … finally finish falling through another hole in reality?

Well.

That’s … interesting.

I’ll just not dwell on that.

At all.

“Fine, can I start with killing you?”

“Hey. Can I join you?” Because honestly, the monster in charge of literal holes in reality needs to die.

Or at least get punched in the face.

I can’t kill him. But I can make him hurt.

I am, if I do say so myself, very good at making people hurt. And finding people.

And finding Search’s chocolate stash. I am so good at finding her chocolate stash. And hiding it in better places…

I miss Search.

“Also. Can someone tell me where I am? And where my … uh … staff is?”

Because I’m pretty sure I shouldn’t say it’s a deadly weapon…

“And my foot’s bleeding. Again. Or still. Because of course it is.”

Think happy thoughts. Like about the fire opal sitting in its leather pouch, the smoke drawn around it so tightly it looks like coal.

I’m getting a little better at passively holding shapes. Drake was right to make me train but I still want to punch him for that.

I shift a bit, trying to get my feet under me … wait a second, where is my boot?

I have a string of words to describe exactly what I think about this situation, but lucky for the people around me, I’ve had practice biting back those words. Because I don’t want Vi to “learn uncouth behaviors” or whatever other fancy schmancy things my dear-old stepmom has to say.

She is two years older than me. She got no business lecturing me about nothing. But that is an entirely different crumbling tunnel.

“I’d ask if anything else can go wrong, but I think we all know how THAT would end.”

Me: [reads through @this-is-not-an-alien’s and @ragnarok’s writing.]

So, apparently I’m a bad influence. 😱😰😑

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Hey. Can I join you?”

Was that a joke? Nobody had ever actually joined him in a mad quest for brutal vengeance…that might be fun.

Of course he got stuck with the blind guy who talks a lot. Pft, at least he didn’t get Sherlock.

“Also. Can someone tell me where I am? And where my…uh…staff is?

“And my foot’s bleeding. Again. Or still. Because of course it is.”

Luckily the “staff” had actually fallen with Blind Guy. Nathair mechanically picked it up and handed it to the man.

“I’d ask if anything else can go wrong, but I think we all know how THAT would end.”

“Yes, please don’t ask that question.” Nathair said wryly. He glanced around the room. It was dank, dark and seemed to never end on any side. “I haven’t the foggiest idea where we are, to be honest. Would you sit down so I can bind your foot? I mean, it would be a shame if you couldn’t beat up this monster at full strength.”

Me: [reads through @this-is-not-an-alien’s and @ragnarok’s writing.] So, apparently I’m a bad influence. 😱😰😑

Don’t worry, I had murderous depression before it was cool 😏👌

Anyway, @everybody! We just had that brilliant inspiration that a buncha these characters should all make a pact to get vengeance on Amnesia in the Mirror of Unforgiveness and Vengefulness because hilarious irony @ethan-leonard do you want Miles’ post to magically move to this group so he passes the test and gets to join this chaotic evil group?

Otherwise you’re with Alessio, Arsene and Nithel I think?

Sherlock should meet Burn and Nathair after they leave the mirror I think?

So…I think that’s where we are…?

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

@this-is-not-an-alien

I wasn’t referring to the depression, impressively enough (score one for recovery right?). Or the violence.

am self-aware of the fact that I swear and I do remember you asked me not to.

🫥

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ah yes. That is your fault. You. Fault. Bad big sister, no cussing! 😅

*fingerguns in asexual 😉✌️*

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

Why not? Miles is a warrior and a leader at heart, and having him join (or even lead) an attack on whatever the Amnesia in the Mirror of Unforgiveness and Vengefulness is sounds like a great idea!

I’ll let someone else start it off.

Also, are we allowed to destroy it?

“Not to worry, we are still flying half a ship”

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nathair had just finished speaking when another figure appeared behind them. Some sort of knight, obviously, and he had the air of a natural starstruck hero that would do anything for ideals. What a horrible mashup this was going to be, Nathair felt sure. But it could be worse, and inevitably would be.

“Ah, we were just making an alliance to kill whatever monstrosity transported us here,” Nathair said easily “Would you be willing to join?”

Short, but sweet XD

Characters already there…

Ok Nathair is like very pale-skinned with longish silver hair in a ponytail and he wears greys and whites, why idk, maybe he’s just that kinda smart-aleck. Blue eyes, around mid-forties.

My sister’s character, Burn Nocturn…

Personality: Teetering on the edge of insanity. Unpredictable. Deliberately keeps his distance from people. A jerk with no heart of gold but an admittedly soft spot for small children. Extremely selfish and slowly reaching the very uncomfortable realization that maybe he doesn’t want to be. Has finally met people who won’t take his bad attitude lying down and yet they also won’t leave him alone? This has interested him enough he’s actually sticking around.

Appearance: angular, sharp, bitter, scar across right ear. mild vitiligo with a noticeable patch on his left cheek. Scar across his right ear. Rough voice from heavy smoking. Blind. Wears a blindfold over his scars. Lean and mean. Does not eat enough.

Talent (super-power): Smoke Manipulation. Uses this to “see” and can weaponize it. Tries to never let his smoke-cloud dissipate so there’s always enough to “see” and fight with.

Also, are we allowed to destroy it?

Probably not, but that won’t stop our characters from trying I’m sure 😅✌️

It might be possible tho, after a super epic adventure

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

Lol I just had to ask

Miles stepped through the tunnel. When he came to the end he entered Into a large ish room with several people standing in it. One guy with silvery hair looked over at him and spoke:

“Ah, we were just making an alliance to kill whatever monstrosity transported us here,” He said. “Would you be willing to join?”

Miles looked over at him. “Who are you?” He said. “What is this place? And what monstrosity?” He asked curiously.

*for those who have seen the other character castle, Miles is not gonna go ballistic like Emperor Saevus*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The newcomer assessed him without even trying to hide it. Fair enough, weren’t they all doing the same?

“Who are you?” He asked and before Nathair could answer kept on. “What is this place? And what monstrosity?”

The stranger had such an earnest, inquisitive gaze. Strange world; some of these people actually seem sincere and that’s a rarity.

Nathair smiled, almost to himself, reminded of how that boy used to ask an endless supply of questions. Believe it or not, Alessio used to be a very talkative, cheery child. But he lost that over time.

“As far as the last two questions are concerned, I don’t know and I don’t know. The most I’ve gathered is that we all suddenly appeared in this place without any explanation and a strange mysterious voice from above – or something of the sort – has deemed to devise intricate methods of psychological torture to test on us.” Nathair said in an easy tone with a crisp, cool smile.

“As for who I am I’m assuming you mean my name and basic occupation; my name is Nathair, and I suppose I’m a wizard.” He said, fiddling with the die in his hand again. “And now would you be kind enough to answer your own questions and explain who you are?”

@ethan-leonard

Ethan Leonard
    @ethan-leonard

@this-is-not-an-alien

“I am King Miles Regulus of the Kingdom of Pietas.” He replied. “I have no idea how I got here, I was in the middle of attacking the city of Arx Gravicus when…I found myself here.

“So tell me, how do we attack this thing that is forcing us to do stuff?” Miles said, a grin spreading on his face.

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Simply put, Sherlock was not having a great day. After completing the trial, the detective stumbled out into a…house??? It was empty, showing signs of being burnt. It was…home??????? Sherlock started to wonder if he was going insane. This place was overrun and destroyed ages ago. It was destroyed by rebirths, creatures of darkness, after Mithril betrayed his family.

His family was hated by society, which wanted nothing less than for them to burn. And they did. When the rebirths came, Mithril left them to die. Unknown to Mithril’s military, the rebirths had a commander. A monster Sherlock knew as Kage. On the behalf of a terrorist group known as Anemone, Kage caused the rebirths to infest the forest, destroying the family Sage had. He remembered his mother protecting them from Kage, as the terrorist fought her. Despite her skill in combat, Sage’s mother ultimately lost.

Sherlock could feel the tears held back in his eyes. He didn’t suppress them, but tears never fell. He had stopped crying at sixteen, after he got out of jail. It was Arsene’s fault he ended up in jail. He had spent so much time stealing, until it ultimately got them into trouble. Saga had ruined his life because of his carelessness. Even after he got out of prison, Sherlock stayed at a high school to “rehabilitate.” Truth was, that stupid “school” only wanted something to boost their status. He was just a tool to them. He bit back his anger for as long as he could, but he eventually snapped. When he finally got out, he made sure to burn that horrendous excuse for a home to the ground. He framed a gang of delinquents for it, getting out unharmed. Last of all, he used evidence he had collected over the years to completely ruin the school’s teachers and principle. It was because of society he lost his family, and it was society that gave him his chance for revenge. He became a consultant detective to hunt down criminals and to catch Arsene to punish them for everything he lost.

Opening what was left of a door, Sherlock Holmes came face to face with Arsene Lupin.

Shifting his right arm, Sage aggressively punched that good-for-nothing, drama queen, thief.

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

I think I will be adding a new character

Caleb Leckie

personality: cheerful, dedicated, laconic.

Description: 5’11, short brown hair, stubble of a beard, decent build, redneck suntan, jeans and untucked shirt.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Clack.

Wood chips and flies.

Clack.

Sweat trickles down the nose.

Clack.

Hands are numb from hundreds of strokes.

Clack.

The remaining wood breaks and the limb falls. Caleb paused to catch his breath. The tree was almost delimbed now. Just a few more to go. Then he had to clean five more. Alex would collect the limbs for their fire. Basilone in the meantime was working with their father. the two were manhandling the chainsaw to cut down a dozen more trees. Over the next week, the stumps would be ripped out by their bulldozer and also burned. After that, they could begin the driveway. A whole lot of work for something only nobles would see. A shame really.

Caleb heaved his axe and walked to his canteen. It was nearly empty. The stream was nearby and mountain runoff was the cleanest of water. Slinging the canteen over his head, Caleb patted his revolver. Enfields called this area home. He would make a nice snack for them if they caught him. He also took his axe. Perhaps it was too much but better too prepared than not at all. Kneeling by the water, Caleb listened to the gentle trickle. It got him thinking. Was this job where he really was meant to be? He didn’t hate it per say. He just didn’t feel destined to work there forever. Was he meant for something else?

A growling brought him back to reality. A grey enfield was downstream looking at him, fang bare. The wolf like body and eagle wings and claws all seem very intimidated, even at a distance. Drawing his revolver, Caleb slowly backed away. Enfields traveled in packs and were territorial. He might have just stumbled into their land. Leaving would resolve the issue. His foot caught on something and he fell backward. A single shot echoed in the still forest. Next thing he knew, Caleb was falling into blackness, bouncing off of stone. His axe followed with a jumble of wooden clatters and steel clanks.

He eventually landed on his back, looking up at a crowd of people. He hurt all over and still, somehow, had the revolver in his hand. Slowly thinking over everything, Caleb came to the conclusion that this was not home.

“Um, you wouldn’t mind telling me where I have fallen into would you?”

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Accept your fear and cowardice!

One million ways to break a human being, and all the pieces just never die. It’s amazing how much people can take and not die however much they wish they could. Something about staying alive is so human, no matter how much you hate life you’re just a little too scared to leave it…

Can’t feel don’t feel he can’t afford to feel it just plays into their hands can’t feel.

It was always there, like hands clasped around his neck. He’d thought it would eventually fade with time, he thought he might be able to recover, he’d been getting better?! No…no, he was trying so hard to convince himself he was getting better not worse. Not worse like his father.

I’m a monster now…

You broke what was human.

He didn’t have an identity now, did he? He was just a wraith of Alessio, just a shadow of someone who could’ve been.

The golden hue of his eyes faded out entirely to blackness. His body didn’t really exist anymore except as dead weight. He was so disconnected from it, as from the real world, and he could feel himself sinking. He wanted to die.

He wanted to stop fighting.

“Maybe he was right.” He mouthed. He’d said some people were so far gone the only heroic choice left was to massacre all the weeds so the monsters died with you. Raze the world until the murders die by your hand. Twisted logic for a twisted world?

No.

Somewhere in these fractured pieces was the will to live…

His jaw tightened. He couldn’t feel that, he wasn’t really in his body – they’re body – it’s body…

No. Focus.

Somewhere was the strength he needed but all he wanted was to fade.

No.

It could still figh – he…he could still fight. Breathe. He lost all sensation and everything went black for a split second.

‘You are my friend.’

Alessio couldn’t process the words. So they kept coming back. He hadn’t thought any memories could be soothing the idea really hadn’t occurred to him until he felt Nithel’s hand on his shoulder. Words he couldn’t understand, sensations he’d never felt of being warm, sheltered…

‘You are loved, and you are not alone.’

Alessio wasn’t really sure when he started to calm down, he could still hear his own raspy breathing, but it wasn’t through a gauze he could actually hear it clearly. He couldn’t tell where he was so he must’ve passed out?

Inside of a…house. Blackened with burn scarring – he didn’t do that, did he!?!

Nonono no, just calm down, calm down. Get a decent explanation before you freak out again. Devils, where was he now? This was so dizzying, he was ready to pass out from exhaustion. What was- where was?

Alessio mechanically rubbed his forehead. Vaguely, there was something cold and stiff clamped on his right wrist but as far as he knew that was just another somatic flashback. It would pass in a minute…

That crazy robber – Arsene – he was by a doorway. Oh devils kissing ghouls, that…he was going to be freaked out, wasn’t he? He would’ve seen Alessio break down, that was not something he looked forward to explaining. Maybe it would be ok, maybe they were still frien-? Wait, they weren’t friends they were just stuck with each other! Get a grip. Nevermind just…

Hey, idiot, we need to keep movin –

Suddenly the door swung open to an almost exact copy of Arsene. Eerily similar not the least from how different they dressed and the expression the stranger wore.

“Arsene…?” Before Alessio could say anything else, the newcomer swung a blow directly into Arsene’s face. Fire flared through Alessio’s body, rushing in front of Arsene.

Hey!” Alessio growled “Don’t you dare touch my friend!!!

He sprang forward only to jolt back, pain teasing through his arm. In a flash he was back, back in dark hole, forced to watch someone else pay as punishment for something. Everything snapped, Alessio was barely conscious of screaming curses, jerking against his restraints hard enough to draw blood.

“If you hurt him I swear-“ Alessio didn’t finish, feeling his arms grabbed and pulled behind him. With a grunt he rammed the back of his head into his attacker’s jaw, kicking his feet off the ground with a momentum that should’ve sent the man falling backwards. Fire reflexively whooshed around him in thin stripes.

The fall knocked Alessio down too and he spun to a crouch – or he would’ve if something hadn’t yanked his wrist, throwing him off balance. He landed with a painful thud on his shoulder. On top of the guy who had tried to kill him earlier!!

With a yelp he leapt back, only to be stopped by hand fastened his left wrist.

The other end was around his would-be murderer’s wrist!

Pure terror shot through Alessio’s eyes.

My baby brother thought it would be a good idea to handcuff Alessio to Hades. 🙃👌

Alessio, Sherlock, Arsene and Hades and anybody in the Mirror of Fear and Cowardice going to move from the mirrors to Amnesia- ville soon…?

@ragnoak?

And the other group with Nathair, Burn, Miles and everybody also goes to Amnesia’s world I guess to fight Amnesia eventually but in a different area…?

Ok @rustedknight, dearest big brother, you picked Alessio and Arsene and Hades and Sherlock group? Ok…I don’t think anybody will notice your character immediately. Sherlock and Arsene are brawling and Alessio and Hades are…kinda brawling.

*copy and pasting physical descriptions…*

Lol btw, Alessio and Arsene are both 17. Alessio tends to hide and try to make himself look smaller, right now he’s wearing an oversize hoodie he stole to “blend in” (it’s…not really effective) but he pretty much always has a hood over his face, he has expressive brown-gold eyes and curly brown hair, olive skin, a scar from his forehead to his left eyebrow, and scars on his wrists the rest are pretty much hidden…

He’s also been train to fight since he was a very small child he is extremely capable if you push him far enough and he has pyrokinesis that he doesn’t know how to control but it’s triggered primarily by the desire to save life so if anybody’s in danger he’ll probably spontaneously combust 😉 (see above post)

Arsene *flips through the castle to his bio* ah here we are!  (identical twin of Arsene Lupin) Black hair with white edges, right eye is gray and blue, while the other is gray and gold. Around 5’11 feet, somewhat slim.
    Species: half dragon changeling, half woodland elf.

Arsene Lupin, a masked thief, made himself at home in his prison cell. With a smaller top hat, Arsene wore a white tailcoat, with black pants, a white button up shirt, and a red vest. His mask, which hid the entire top part of his face, was red and black, resembling a fox vaguely.

Sherlock’s an identical twin but I forget what he’s dressed in 🤷‍♀️

I leave it to @ragnarok to transport this group to Amnesia’s world

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Oh goodness! I’m sorry @ethan-leonard my little brother keeps bantering Character Castle ideas irl which means I gotta post these ideas first so you can have a say XDDDDDDDD

Ok, we were chatting mostly about the first group but for group 2 with Miles and everybody, do you want to:

1) continue through the trial of anger and vengeance and have each character relive or see some symbol their anger/who they’re angry at etc

2) be transported to a somewhat normal area where Amnesia might appear in some avatar/human form if they follow enough clues or something

3) THROW IN YOUR OWN TWISTS AND SURPRISES WITH NO WARNING AS YOU WILL!!!!!!

😁✌️

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 173 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2023 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest