fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.5

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 522 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nathair was getting bored (terrifying prospect, he knows). So he wandered off in search of Burn to annoy. He was talking to somebody new (that or Nathair just hadn’t bothered to remember the strange, masked person).

“Burn’s the only person I’ve known before…whatever this is.” Search was saying to the man.

“I’ve learned the names of the people I was with, but as I have said I do not know anyone here personally.” Masked Man replied “The young lady is named Leana. She seems to be the nicest of the group so far.”

She had to be if she endured Nathair’s company, Nathair thought.

“The boy is named Alessio. While he doesn’t seem directly malicious, he is paranoid about meeting new people. The bizarre one over there calls himself Arsene Lupin. I’d keep a tight grip on your wallet whenever you’re in his presence. As for the other one, his name is Sherlock Holmes. I’ll leave it at that, since I can’t think of anything nice to say about him.”

Nevermind that he hadn’t really said anything particularly “nice” about any of the others.

“The remaining two are named Ohel and Crorie. I know very little about them.” Nathair was feeling very left out now he was looking forward to seeing what insulting description he’d get.

“I suggest we reunite with the group and coordinate something.”

“Excellent idea, and can I suggest just picking a direction and walking to our inevitable demise as fast as possible.” Nathair announced happily, just waiting for the chance to annoy someone.

@hannahrenner
    @ragnarok @kimlikesart

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

BURN

I point to the glowing pool that I can somehow see.

“I pick that direction!” I say triumphantly.

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Ah yes the glowy evil water” Nathair said, “You know, maybe we should consult the grownups on this, mm?”

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

SEARCH

Ironically enough, Burn has never lead me wrong when it comes to his duties as a scout.

“As much as I hate to say it…” Words cannot even begin to express how much. “if Burn says we should go to the glowy pool of evil magic that absolutely will kill us, we should go…”

Burn nods vigorously out of the corner of my eye.

“Because there is always something worse he’s leading us from.” I look at him for conformation.

“I am amazed no one has heard it coming this way.” Burn says. “Can’t you feel it shaking the ground?”

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio glanced up as Nathair wandered off. He’d noticed Leana seemed to sympathize with the man, and Nathair was so good with words, he’d use that to his advantage Alessio knew. But if he said anything, if he said too much he’d kill him.

Biting his lip, Alessio curled his knees into his chest. The pounding of his own heart thudded against him nauseatingly. He stared fixedly at his toes, speaking too fast in a low monotone.

“Hey,” he said “leave him alone. He doesn’t…respond to kindness.”

Not well at least.

Alessio still couldn’t bear saying his name or even thinking it. He should be terrified but he felt completely calm, like a none of this was real and it was all happening to someone else sort of calm.

@kimlikesart
    @ragnarok @hannahrenner

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Nithel sighed softly, and shut his eyes, thinking as Nathair walked off. He fingered the pendants on his necklace, feeling the flower he’d carved, for Leana… He fingered the blank one. The child he had yet to meet.  I can ask Leana now. If it’s a boy or girl. What they’re like. *memories/worries for the future/other thoughts…*

Leana smiled sadly at Alessio and squeezed his arm. *thoughts* “How do you know that?” She pushed to her feet, shutting her eyes in a short wince, before looking back at Alessio. Everyone seemed to be congregating. Deciding where to go. Except Daddy. He hovered near, though he didn’t watch. His face… was so sad. Like it was whenever he told that one story. What have you been through, Daddy?

Ohel glanced toward the water, brows furrowed. ‘Magic’, they called it. “My uncle deals in magic.” Softly. Spirits. Demons. He killed a man without touching him, once. Could he..? Could he part the water? Like the stories of old? Ohel’s chest tightened like it was full of cloth. He struggled to breathe, and instead held his breath, carefully pushing to his feet. “Is there a priest among us?” Priests always filled him with the same trepidation as his uncle. But…

———-

@hannahrenner
    @ragnarok @hannahrenner

Jominkreesa

'Forth now! And fear no darkness!'

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Alessio didn’t look up until he felt Leana hand. He blinked, glancing up at her thoughtful, kind eyes. How was he supposed to protect her, or anyone here!? Everything was going to come crashing down all at once, he was sure. But he still felt warm when she squeezed his arm, and he froze in place trying so hard not to flinch or anything that would make her let go.

“How do you know that?” She asked, pushing to her feet with a wince. Instinctively, Alessio jumped to his feet, hovering anxiously before he bit his lip and forced himself to relax.

How he knew?

He could tell her everything, but she and Nithel were good people. They didn’t have any guile, and they would react. If he said too much it was over. As long as they didn’t threaten Nathair…

There was so much, so many reasons. He clenched his bloody hand, just so the pain would ground him to the present. Don’t think about it, don’t think. He had to stay calm.

“You’re not the first person to ever try and reach him.” He muttered.

“As much as I hated to say it…” Search said, “if Burn says we should go to the glowy pool of evil magic that absolutely will kill us, we should go…”

Seriously…?

Nathair glanced at Burn who was bobbing his head vigorously.

“Because there is always something worse he’s leading us from.” She finished.

“I am amazed no one has heard it coming this way.” Burn said, “Can’t you feel it shaking the ground?”

Nathair didn’t feel anything unusual. None of them seemed to. Just the Blind Guy, so chalk that up to one more “interesting” thing about Burn.

“I suppose we’d best gather everyone and be on our way to our inevitable deaths then.” Nathair said cheerfully. Then he noticed a now very haggard stranger muttering softly before he climbed to his feet.

“Is there a priest among us?” He asked. Normally, Nathair would think no obviously there’s not at a quick glance around the group but well…Today was not his normal mundane day you could say.

“I don’t believe so but one could easily fall out of the sky at any minute.” He said. “I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced. Who are you?”

Alessio wasn’t sure if he should go on. Every survival instinct in him was screaming to just keep his mouth shut. He bit his lip and caught himself fingering the scars on his wrist. A motion he’d taught him as a signal for help.

“He…sees kindness as consent,” Alessio attempted again in an even softer voice. “or weakness at best-We should find out who’s here and what assets we have so we can come up with a plan.”

Abruptly he switched topics, and everything about his demeanor, catching Nathair’s eyes on him. He probably hadn’t heard but he knew. It was just a second, and his attention was on Ohel the next time he looked up.

Play it careful.

‘Always appear both focused and relaxed.’ It would scare people enough they’d find a more convenient victim with more obvious weaknesses. It was what a prince was expected to do to maintain order, to keep the people calm, to walk that fine line in politics.

“Does anyone have a viable strategy?” He asked going over to the ground coalescing around the eerie pool. But he kept note of where Leana and Nithel were all the time, he swore he wouldn’t let them get hurt.

‘Act indifferent and no one will know what they can take from you.’

@kimlikesart
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

SEARCH

“Is there a priest among us?”

I turn to look at the stranger. He looks like a fish out of water. Poor guy.

“I don’t believe so but one could easily fall out of the sky at any minute.” Nathair said.

Sky. Hm. There’s that word again. what does it mean.

That being said, I do remember a time Padre Drake tumbled out of a fourth-story window. It was his fault, he instigated that brawl. Still… I bite my lip to keep from laughing.

“I don’t think we’ve been properly introduced. Who are you?”

I see movement out of the corner of my eye.

“BURN!”

He stops a few feet away from the pool looking guilty.

“Leave the evil pool alone! For just a minute! Okay? One minute!”

BURN

Crap she caught me.

“Does anyone have a viable strategy?”

“I was going to him!” I yell. “Because” think fast “You have a viable strategy. Very much so!”

Good job Burn. Oscar’d be proud of you.

Fifty-seven. Fifty-three. Fifty-two…

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

There were a lot of people Alessio didn’t know now and it was disconcerting. But he didn’t have time for that he just needed to keep his cool and thin-

“BURN!” A girl yelled sharply enough Alessio flinched out of his skin. “Leave the evil pool alone! For just a minute! Okay? One minute!”

Wait, no. Nobody needed to touch the glowing pool?!?!

“I was going to him!” ‘Burn’ stammered back. “Because. You have a viable strategy. Very much so!”

Alessio blinked. That was not a promising omen for the overall common sense of the group as a whole which was already rapidly depleting into a chaotic cycle of impulsivity… He cleared his throat, not really sure he wanted the answer…

“Who has a viable strategy…?”

@hannahrenner
    @ragnarok @kimlikesart

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

“You’re not the first person to ever try and reach him.” Alessio muttered.

Leana stared at his eyes a moment more. I hope I’m not the last. Her gaze followed his hand, and her heart tightened when she saw the scars on his wrist. Did he do that to you? Or… did he lead you to do it to yourself?

“He…sees kindness as consent,” Alessio spoke even softer. “or weakness at best-We should find out who’s here and what assets we have so we can come up with a plan.”

Leana was all too familiar with the first part of his comment. Too many men saw kindness as an invitation when all she wanted to do was remind them they weren’t alone. Leana looked toward Nithel who limped toward her, that sad peaceful look in his eyes. How do you have peace? Even here?

The smallest flicker of a smile in his eyes, as Alessio approached everyone else, and Nithel put an arm around her shoulders and kissed her head. “What is it your grandfather said?” He whispered, with some pain. “Right before I left with Dom?”

Leana burrowed her face into his chest, wanting to weep again.

“Do you remember?”

“Yes, Papa.” Muffled into her father’s clothes.

Nithel breathed a moment, eyes resting on the glowing pool. Wanting to jump in, in all honesty. Just get everything going. But the others were discussing. If asked, he’d share whatever opinion he could muster, if not? He welcomed remaining silent on the matter.

He squeezed his little girl tighter, so many questions running through his mind, about home, her mother, her siblings, Kisan… He kissed her head. There might be no time. “Always remember.” I struggle to. But… I would have been overcome long ago, if I didn’t remind myself every day.

-”

*Ohel feels Alessio, at least so far as how princes are supposed to act… except… he’s failing in the relaxed area, at the moment* He looks stiff as a board, but slowly, serious as death. “Ohel bar Oz bar Hezekiah. Nephew to King Manasseh bar Hezekiah.” Whoop-dee-doo… The statement filled him with no pride. He bows his head the smallest bit, dark eyes narrow, but curious. “And you?” He looks at the others, gaze resting on Leana and Crorie longer than necessary, looking them over from stem to stern.

Nithel catches it, when Ohel’s eyes land on Leana, and his eyes narrow, chest stiffening, in turn.

—————

@hannahrenner
    @ragnarok @hannahrenner

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Ohel bar Oz bar Hezekiah.” The bedraggled but now somewhat more dignified stranger said in a low, measured voice. “Nephew to King Manasseh bar Hezekiah.”

Well, he looked tense enough to make a board look relaxed, Nathair thought. Like they could hold a knife to his throat at any second which…no that was a pretty accurate assessment of the group.

“And you?” Ohel scanned each of them with an inquiring eye.

Good question. Who was he really?

Nathair donned an amiable smile with the customary bow.

“You can call me Nathair,” He didn’t really care for his family name. “wizard, royal adviser and tutor to young Prince Alessio of Hesgmarde, second in lin-”

“It’s an inexpedient use of our time worrying about status that doesn’t reflect upon any qualifications or lack thereof the individual may possess.” Alessio interrupted briskly, moving toward the strange pool as if completely unrattled. “Firstly, we should establish what skills all of you have so we can gauge what resources we have and don’t have.”

@kimlikesart
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

“Firstly, we should establish what skills all of you have so we can gauge what resources we have and don’t have.”

BURN

Okay, it’s my time to shine!

“If I have enough smoke I can see every crack and crevice in a vaulted chamber – while on that topic, I would like to mention that I still have not felt the roof of this chamber and punk that’s creepy. I am also very good at finding things and getting through places that other people can’t!”

I smile.

And then nudge Search. Because we need to be useful if we want to survive here – pretty sure half these punks would kill us if we can’t do the things.

Eeeerrrrrrrrroooooooooaaaaaaaaannnnn

Ignore it. Ignore it. We have time – gotta do the people thing. Ignore it.

SEARCH

I glower at Burn – he really shouldn’t go around baring his soul like this – and look at the group. “I am an archeologist who specializes in Shifting and Edgeland digs. I know basic first aid and can hold my own in a fight.”

I squint at the child. Okay, he’s a little older than a child but he should NOT have the pressure of leading on him. He should be home. Safe. In a warm bed. With hugs. Lots of them.

Burn waves his hand. “Uh. Is my smoke wrong or is everyone wearing the same thing?”

Please. Couldn’t you pretend to be normal for five minutes.

Burn flinches and tips his head to the right.

“What?”

“It’s getting closer. We should really be going.”

“Where can we even go?”

Burn points towards the pool. “There’s too many booby traps behind the vaulted door. And I’m not sure we could even reach that.”

“Also that’s where the creepy thing is coming from.”

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Ohel was thinking Nathair might be a man who understood him. But he didn’t trust him. At all. Perhaps because of that. Ohel didn’t even attempt a smile, where this man’s was a lie.</p>
    Wizard, and servant to a prince. Alessio. Ohel’s gaze slid to the young man, probably only slightly younger than himself. I wouldn’t have guessed it. A prince in hiding, perhaps?

“I’ve trained as a swordsman and archer,  for a long time. Though I’ve yet to meet someone in real battle.” Ohel allowed, voice steady  Let’s leave it at that, for now. If necessary they’d learn other skills.

Nithel’s mind was still spinning. Alessio? A prince..? A leader of his people. Actually, the idea didn’t seem that strange. He is a protector of people. But humble. Nothing bad that Nithel had seen from those in power… and the potential to be a truly great king.

Nithel looked at the blind man, and smiled softly, but memories coarsed through his mind. Filled with pain. He saw Dom’s face, as he wept by a friend. Others. Nithel set his jaw, and forced out, “I am only a simple soldier. A carpenter and farmer.” *thoughts* “I can weild a sword. Not masterfully, but I’ve stayed alive through plenty of battles, thus far.” His heart screamed at him. Yes, you did. You’ve killed those you fought to protect so many centuries. How does that make you feel? “I am good with a sling. I can hit almost anything, within reason.” All His pain is written in his eyes, if not his face, though he manages to keep his voice steady.

Leana’s head is spinning, too. “I can’t fight, if that’s what you want.” She looked warily up at her father, face tense, but He looked at her without really seeing. Daddy? “I’ve assisted in hospitals the last two years… And before that, my mother and I cared for the sick in our family and neighbors. Papa did too, if it was needed.” But all my supplies is gone. Leana put her arms around one of Nithel’s and squeezed.

Nithel breathed softly. So… you ran away from home almost two years ago. Almost right after Dom… and me left. Avigail wouldn’t have sent you. That means you have no news of your mother. Your new sibling.

Nithel’s face filled with anger and pain. He wanted to punch something. Honestly. He looked down at his hand, and saw the scabs from when he’d assaulted that tree. He wasn’t really angry at Leana, frustrated yes, but the rage..? No. He was angry at the Star Breather.

“Daddy?” His not so little girl whispered, perhaps only where he could hear, her blue eyes like deep pools staring up at him.

But water… he despised water. Hers washed through him. He wanted to weep. Hold her in his arms again and say everything. Be there, for what she’d seen and gone through. Find out what little more she knew about than him. Tell her… about Domnik. Talk and weep to the Holy One with her. But there was no time in this pit that same Holy One allowed them to fall into.

Nithel gave Leana a light squeeze and stepped forward. “Let’s go down the pool.”

Jominkreesa

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

@this-is-not-an-alien @hannahrenner @ragnarok 🐦

Jominkreesa

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Arsene had two choices: A. Go to the evil pool of water or B. Talk to someone.

“Someone! Notice me!” Arsene shouted in the most pathetic child voice possible.

They were ignoring him! How dare they!!!!

Wait, no. Crorie was now sending him a weird look. Great, now she was walking to him.

“What have you done?” She questioned in a tone that clearly demanded an answer.

“I’m hunting for an audience other than the readers.” Arsene retorted mournfully, “After breaking the fourth wall a few times, it gets BOORRRRRIIIIIIINNNNNGGGGG!!!”

Sigh, that felt great.

“You say the weirdest things at times.” Crorie commented.

“I’ve gotta do something to keep the audience reading.” Arsene explained in a matter-of-fact voice. “So I’m going to investigate the weird pool of water. Could you help?”

Crorie hesitated for a moment, before looking back at Sherlock. Unconscious still.

“How so?” Crorie asked.

“First off, are you sensing any magical properties?”

Crorie stared at the pool for a moment, then closing her eyes. She seemed rather focused on the pool, as she stood there perfectly still.

Finally, she spoke. “I’m not sensing any cursed or malevolent properties emitting from the pool. However, I am feeling teleportation energy coming from it.”

Hmm. This was curious. Very curious. Dangerously curious. Curious enough to make Arsene do something rash. Yes, this was curious. So. Very. Very. Curious.

Arsene felt curious.

Looking around, Arsene spotted what he was looking for. A nice throwing stone. What would happen if he threw it into the water.

Picking it up, Arsene launched into as far as he could. Which was not as far as he would have liked, thanks to the lack of dragon shifting. It still hurt. Seriously, was Sherlock just out to hurt him.

Oh, wait. Yes, he was.

Speaking of which, Arsene had noticed there were no ripples on the water’s surface. Nothing at all. Nothing. Just… stillness. It was a little unnerving.

And then the world shook and morphed into something… different.

He just broke another world, didn’t he?

This could not get any worse.

“Saga?”

… Turning around, Arsene got a sudden sense of dread. Nobody ever called him that. That name was dead.

It was Sherlock. Again. But something was… wrong. He was short. And his clothes were different. More like the baggy pants and hoodie he had when he was… oh dear.

When they were kids!!!

“Why are you taller?” Child Sherlock asked, “Where are we?”

Sherlock was a kid?!?! And he called him Saga. Did he not remember any of the mess they got into?

“Where are we? That might be a bit complicated.” Arsene responded.

Oh this felt awkward.

“I know this will sound strange, but…” Oh dear. Oh dear. Oh dear. “What’s your name?”

Sherlock’s expression quickly became one of bewilderment. “Uhhhh, Sage? It’s kinda always been my name. And you’re not simply taller, you’re older. So is Crorie. What’s going on? Who are all these people?”

Even Crorie was looking rather worried. Which was a rarity.

So it was official now. Sherlock was now in the body of Sage, a boy obsessed with chemistry and horror (mystery, Saga!) books. He was a boy learning violin, studying Latin, and perfecting his knowledge in botany. Any human being would have mistaken him for a thirteen year old, barely standing at four feet.

The last question sent chills down Arsene’s spine.

“Where are Mother and Father?”

This was not good.

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

Viewing 15 posts - 436 through 450 (of 522 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest