fb

Fantasy Writers

Character Castle 2.5

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 522 total)
  • Author
    Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“If I have enough smoke I can see every crack and crevice in a vaulted chamber – while on that topic, I would like to mention that I still have not felt the roof of this chamber and punk that’s creepy.” Chirped excitedly the Weird Smoke Person Apparently Name “Burn”. (What was this some kind of dumb joke!? The trio of Arsene, Burn and Pyromaniac??) “I am also very good at finding things and getting through places that other people can’t!”

That would be useful. Maybe if they would get lucky, and Burn could find their supplies. Not likely but…

Beyond that having a smoke-based skill would probably be a great asset. If/when his powers got out of control at least someone would be able to work with it. Maybe…he was fireproof too? Better yet maybe he knew how to control his powers well enough he could train Alessio?

Except he’s a coward and would never muster the courage to ask…

“I am an archeologist who specializes in Shifting and Edgeland digs.” Pretty much all of that flew over Alessio’s head. “I know basic first aid and can hold my own in a fight.”

Alessio nodded, it would be good to have at least two healers in the group and he’d be able to focus more of his attention on protecting Leana if he knew everyone else had fighting experien- why was she squinting at him like that? He bit the urge to rub his arms uncomfortably, not sure what her look seemed to be getting at.

“Uh. Is my smoke wrong or is everyone wearing the same thing?” Burn interjected. So…his power let him see more than just loose shapes he could get details from it. Could he “see” color? As if catching some noise, Burn flinched, tilting his head.

“What?” The Squint-of-Judgement Woman asks,

“It’s getting closer. We should really be going.”

“Where can we even go?”

“There’s too many booby traps behind the vaulted door. And I’m not sure we could even reach that. Also that’s where the creepy thing is coming from.”

Right. So that was decided.

“I’ve trained as a swordsman and archer, for a long time. Though I’ve yet to meet someone in real battle.” Ohel said, with the reserve of someone holding back. Right.

“I am only a simple soldier. A carpenter and a farmer.” Nithel began, surprising Alessio. He’d filed away the last the time he’d called upon his opinion and noted how much he didn’t like being called upon then. But things were different now. “I can weild a sword. Not masterfully, but I’ve stayed alive through plenty of battles, thus far.”

That was…hard to imagine, someone as kindhearted as Nithel…being able to handle…fighting, even to survive.

Alessio stared up at him uncertainly. Are you ok?

“I am good with a sling. I can hit almost anything, within reason.” He finished. That was something Alessio remembered at the very start of their adventures, he always had a sling even if he didn’t carry any other weapons then.

Alessio bit his lip, trying to think of something to say or do that might comfort him. To be honest, Alessio had never killed anyone before. They tried to make him a weapon but he refused to, he’d seen everyone around him kill. He was scared if he ever did even in self-defense, well…it would be too easy for him to justify too many things with all the anger…bottled up.

“I can’t fight, if that’s what you want.” Leana said. “I’ve assisted in hospitals the last two years…And before that, my mother and I cared for the sick in our family and neighbors. Papa did too, if it was needed.”

That was good, they needed a healer more than they needed fighters right now. Since most of them were skilled enough at self-defense they should be fine, and he could try to train her as they went forward.

Nithel…Alessio tensed involuntarily at his expression. No, it was ok, Nithel wouldn’t hit anyone in a fit of rage. He wasn’t like his father. Instead of yelling or anything he just held his daughter letting her cry.

A strange sensation twisted in his chest. He wasn’t jealous!! He didn’t have any reason to be jealous he shouldn’t be jealous…It was completely irrational, Nithel wasn’t going to leave him, or tell him all the ways he couldn’t be like his brother.

“Is someone messing with that evil pool.” Nathair asked innocently, having watched Arsene the whole time and been completely capable of stopping him at any moment but he chose not too.

“Arse-!” Before Alessio could finish the world around him shook like it had been cracked into a million pieces. “Why did you do that!?!?”

Alessio was about to yank him back before he could touch something else when a child’s voice intervened.

“Saga?” The boy looked…no way…

“What did you just do…?” Alessio demanded in a faint horrified voice. Maybe child-Endlessly Angry was nicer…

The boy kept asking questions, in a completely straightforward not at all high-mighty-and-angry like…

“Where are Mother and Father?” Child-Sherlock/Sage asked. Oh. Alessio glanced uneasily at Arsene. What had happened to both of them to mess them up so bad…?

“I’m gonna tell him.” Nathair smirks.

Alessio glared at the wizard, but then looked at everyone. Sherlock hadn’t just changed, everyone’s old clothes were on them and the whole place was shifting immediately

[Soo, Burn’s world right?]

@hannahrenner
    @kimlikesart @ragnarok

To be a light to the world you must shine in the darkness.

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

The world continued to tremble. Stones began to fall from the ceiling, except over the pool. The floor rocked, as if on a stormy sea. “Let’s move!” Nithel’s eyes widened, and his heart banged against his chest. It’s just another test. He grabbed Leana’s wrist, scooped up the boy who’d just appeared under one arm and dragged her toward the pool. He turned toward Alessio, with one foot on the edge of the rocking abyss. didn’t release the boy under his other arm, though he struggled.  “Let’s go!” He jerked his chin, and risked a glance at everyone else, before looking back at his friend. Come, Alessio. Please. He’d just made a promise and didn’t plan on negating it. But zounds…

“Papa!” Leana shouted, staring at her father like he was a mad stranger, but uncertain what to do. (Which hurt him, honestly.) She jerked nearer to Nithel as another stone fell, the size of a head. She almost lost her footing.

Ohel moved forward. I wouldn’t have guessed you were a leader… Honestly, he’s ready to dive in after Nithel or anyone else who took the plunge. The ground rocked so hard, he almost fell over, and stones rolled toward him. Nevermind. He leapt for the pool.

——

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Jominkreesa

'Forth now! And fear no darkness!'

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Let’s move!”

Alessio jumped, his first instinct to get everyone down first clashing with dash headlong after Nithel and assume he had a plan. Cursing outloud, he ran after him but he hesitated at the pool until he was sure everyone had made it.

Well. That was his plan.

In actuality, the ground lurched sending him toppling down the pool. It shouldn’t have happened he had enough balance!? With a yelp he rolled downward for who knows how long before he landed…somewhere.

Ow. Owowow. Ouch.

“I’m ok!” He announced in a pathetic voice without moving off his back.

All this felt really, really different. He felt really different.

Sitting up precariously, Alessio rubbed his head, tangled curls fuzzing his vision. Everything swirled around him dizzily. He needed to either find a safe adult or find shelter, right? Then…wait…

Blinking, the boy held his hand to his face numbly, staring uncomprehendingly for several seconds. The skin around his wrists was just as smooth and brown as anything, no white disfigured streaks. His clothes were fairly well scuffed and torn but trimmed with gold, and mostly made out of a light, fluttery red silk. Whoops, Mother would kill him for ruining it again, buuut only if he got caught!

Alessio was a master of climbing into the servants’ corridors and snatching a change of clothes before anybody “important” saw him, and then she pretended to never notice.

Except…

Everything that happened…was that a dream or…

“How is this feasibly possible…?” He chirped outloud a-matter-of-factly, ironically using big words because it made the grownups laugh, and bit his knuckles contemplatively. With his other hand he absently felt for the scar on his forehead. Still there. What and why…?

“The Earth Theory!!” Alessio blurted leaping up. “Haha! I knew it was real! Modern science of the North can prove through abstract theory that there’s at least nine worlds connected to Casumbra and those worlds connect through dimensions beyond time and space!! Which means-!”

He deflated slightly.

“Nobody will ever believe me when I get back…” He looked around gaping, bright-eyed and dazed.

@kimlikesart
    @ragnarok @hannahrenner

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

With Alessio through, Nithel jumped in, dragging Leana with him, the boy under his arm still screaming and kicking.

Things swirled before he thudded on the ground. The boy scrambled free. Nithel groaned, lightly, before lifting his head. Kids were sprawled in a cluster around him, with any number of strange emotions crossing their faces. His gaze landed on a little girl, with fiery red hair covering her face like a web, as she pushed herself off the ground. Leana? He blinked rapidly, jaw dropping. Zounds. You’re going lunatic.

But when her hair fell away, he had no doubt. That little freckled face, shaped just like her mama’s. Those blue eyes, like her grandma. He was too stunned to move a moment, then wildly looked about him. He tried to guess what each of the children would look like, years from now, and came up with an almost sick feeling in his stomach. Woe. Two others from the room were still adults, as well. The blind man and the girl who knew him.

He looked at Alessio, still gaping at what had happened. Nithel held out his hands in front of him, and turned them, soft… like the day he was formed. No callusses. No scars on his arms or hands. He touched his head. His hair was curly, thicker, barely a finger long, if that. (And it’s stunning gold, again. Not tinted with gray, and not faded at all. Though he can’t see that.) Woe. Shucks. I hope I can still walk.

“Daddy?” Leana whispered. Her voice that soft mouse, it used to be. Her saphire eyes were wide as saucers, when they weren’t blinking.

Oh… Nithel’s heart flipped, but in a good way. How many times did I wish she could be like this, again? “Yes, flower?” He scooted toward her, not wanting to test his legs yet.

Her lips tightened, and she cocked her head in that way Avigail always did, when suspicious he’d just stolen food before meal. He almost let out a cry of something but managed to swallow it. “I… Wow.” He breathed in slowly and looked at the group. “Is… Is everyone alright?” Wait. I’m the only one not a child… *wonders how he might explain this, if put to it* He looks at everyone, but particularly Leana and Alessio.

Leana can’t seem to stop gaping. What just happened? Looking at herself, all she wants is to change back. I waited seventeen years to look sixteen… I’m not going through that again. But. Woe. Is that my dad? *more blinking* *honestly thinks he’s a bit… hot… * Mama, you didn’t pick too bad… His hair sort of… glows, almost. And dimples! I didn’t know Dad had dimples?????

Wait. We jumped through that ‘magic’ pool. No. Dad dragged me through. Not that… I blame him for that. But remembering the look in his eyes, the mad determination, fiills her with new wariness. He’s been gone for two years… He’s changed… as much as me. How well do I still know him? 
    Don’t be ridiculous. He’s still Daddy.
    Yeah… Super scary, changing-age Daddy, who thinks magic might be okay, and- yeah. 

Ohel sits legs spread out wide, eyes wide, shaking his head. He slowly begins backing away from the group.

—-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Kimmi.

Jominkreesa

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

@this-is-not-an-alien, @ragnarok, @kimlikesart

SCENE SETTING – [You arrive in Consul Oscar Woodwall’s living room.]

The room is richly furnished and professionally designed. It’s quite large – could comfortably hold a little over twenty people. The walls are emerald green and the pillars are stark white.

A fountain babbles in the center of the room, under a bright grow-light. Water-lilies bloom inside and brightly colored fish swim peacefully.

In fact, peaceful is the best way to describe this room. It is a place to calm and relax. Meditative.

A window looks out to the bustling streets, but it is covered with thick curtains right now. However the faint rush of the trains across steel roads slips in with the faintest breeze.

[Author note – feel free to add any necessary furnishings, paintings, statues… as needed for your characters. They just need to be stupid rich. Oscar is basically a billionaire.]

BURN

I wait a long, long moment.

Then rub my face.

“Was it all a dream? Some horrible dream?” I whisper.

Wait. How much was a dream? Am I still wanted for murder?!

I jump to my feet beside the fountain.

Crap. Where’s Oscar. Where is he? Oooooooh I am in so much trouble.

Not a dream.

Oh this was not a dream. I’m still in hospital clothes.

I snap my fingers. “It was a dream! I hallucinated. I bet that’s it! Search was right! I ate something I shouldn’t and now …”

Oh no. Oscar’s gonna kill me. Or worse – he’s gonna baby me. Smother me.

Crap.

I have to get out of here!

But maybe not dressed like this…

“Burn?”

I tip my head towards Search. “Hey?”

“We … I … this is … um…”

“Take a deep breathe.” I steeple my fingers and deepen my voice – I still can’t quite get his rasp though. “Construct your sentence. Then speak it.”

“I don’t need you channeling Oscar right now! I need you to explain why the magic pool spit us out here!”

Eh?

Crap.

It wasn’t a dream.

“What.”

Oh no.

“In the forsaken towers of the Abyss.”

Oh this is very, very bad.

“Is going on here?”

“Heh, heh. Mr. Oscar. Nice to meet you. Um. The answer to that question is … we were in the processes of … Okay. I have absolutely no idea.” Search face palms loudly.

“Oscar.” I shoot him my most dashing smile – at least, Grimme says it’s my most dashing smile. “So. Important question first – what’s the date?”

SEARCH

Oscar narrows his dark eyes and walks to Burn cautiously. “[{March 27, 2023.}]”

Um.

We are in the past?

Burn purses his lips too. “Okay. That’s spectacular. Really. So… what do you want an explanation of? Anyway? Cause it seems pretty normal to me. Ya’know?”

“Please attempt to properly enunciate your words.” Oscar ruffles Burn’s hair.

He squawks, tries to neaten it, and makes it worse.

“And I was hoping for an explanation of the strangers in my living room. And why you all look like you have escaped the hospital…”

He glares at me. Like this is my fault. The man who raised Burn is blaming me for this mess. I would be angry were it not so ridiculous.

“OSCAR!” the door flies open and Grimme storms in with the fury of a scream of Colds during a dark shift. “What is the mean… um.” Grimme freezes in the doorway, still in her warrior-gear and caked in mud. “Actually. You can explain that later. What is the meaning of this?” She points around the room to the various people finally getting to their feet.

Except for Alessio who is babbling happily to himself… wasn’t he older than that?

“That’s what I’m trying to get out of Ms. Sonja.”

Grimme turns to me, her black eyes narrowed. “Burn? What did you do?”

“I’m innocent!” Burn yelps, ducking away from Oscar and nearly falling into the fountain. Oscar grabs his arm and steers him towards the sofa. “I swear! I’m innocent! Nothing happened no-attempted-murders-and-I-absolutely-remember-everything-I’m-supposed-to-promise!”

Wait.

“What?”

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

The room was large and ornate. Not as big as the grand hall but clearly very substantial, the kind you’d expect nobility to possess.

Alessio was looking for a window, and yes! there was one, curtained thickly rushing noises muffled outside. He swung it open with his full force as if to make up for being small and boney. ‘I’ll have that ready if I need to escap-whoa…’ It was glass. That was new, one of the “inventions of the North”. Did he fall back in time but into the future??

“Take a deep breathe.” Burn was clearly giving a satirical impression of someone…that they were probably about to meet. “Construct your sentence. Then speak it.”

Alessio chortled.

“I don’t need you channeling Oscar right now! I need you to explain why the magic pool spit us out here!”

Search and Burn were still grownups, Nithel was…a lot younger but still an adult.

“Why-?” Alessio blurted, pointing at Nithel. But then he caught himself, a very visible ‘ohh.’ across his face. Future-past him trusted Nithel and he remembered everything…did Nithel remember him? The boy darted over to him, determined to befriend him again even if he forgot him.

Also. He wanted to touch his hair. He’d never seen anybody with shiny gold hair before, it was something of a novelty in Casumbra.

Nathair buried himself in a corner away from the group, breathing heavily. He hated everyone, everyone here, he didn’t want anyone to touch him or even look at him. Rage – no, panic, flooded through him. Everything that had happened was rushing through him through the lens of the child he was now.

He had done…so much, to deserve being hated.

Everything was grey, he wanted to kill them all. They didn’t deserve to live, they were judging him. Of course, they were. He couldn’t hear anything it was all garbled. Ohh, it was bad. He took solace in the fact that he knew how this ended, and he knew this would integrate with him and it wouldn’t be as intense.

But maybe that was because…he stopped fighting it, and instead channeled it toward the people who deserved this.

Red flickered inside each person’s chest, where their heart was, like a target. Each one, as long as they’re alive. He couldn’t measure anything else, any living thing, immortal, mortal it was all red. Things that weren’t alive were grey. Magic was blue, curses were blue.

“OSCAR!” Someone roared, causing Alessio to leap back with a violent flinch, as a woman flung the door almost off its handle in her rage. “What is the mean…um. Actually. You can explain that later. What is the meaning of this?”

Alessio inched back, he didn’t like or trust either of the two new adults. Loud noises always meant trouble and ‘Oscar’s’ voice made his skin crawl it sounded too much like any number of manipulative grownups in his life.

“Burn? What did you do?”

“I’m innocent!” Burn yelped and nearly landed in the fountain trying to escape Oscar, who snatches his arm and steered him away. He was still yelling in a panicked voice. “I swear! I’m innocent! Nothing happened no-attempted-murders-and-I-absolutely-remember-everything-I’m-supposed-to-promise!”

“What?”

“He didn’t do anything!” Alessio blurted defensively, chasing after Oscar. “Uh, he, uhhh…”

Can’t go with the truth, no will believe the truth. But he couldn’t outright lie. He glanced at the window, and inched back a step, before he bit his lip and planted his feet determined not to dash away.

“Oh! We got lost and Burn’s going to help us” He better. “…until we…get back home…”

The boy cursed internally. Literally no viable explanation came to mind so…buy for time! Flattery and charm was the best defense because people didn’t hit you as often if they were laughing or didn’t see you as a threat.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir.” Alessio attempted with his best supposed-to-impress-nobility bow. “We’re extremely grateful that you’ve allowed us to infringe on your hospitality this long, the grounds are exquisite and it was a pleasure to be graced with your presence.”

A pleasure, haha, so that was a lie. He was running out of things to compliment and calculating how fast he could make it to the window. Hopefully, Burn made it out now before anybody got hurt right?

@hannahrenner
    @kimlikesart @ragnarok

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana slowly slipped away from her father, nodding her chin toward the little boy in the corner at Nithel’s worried look. Well, her sort of father.

Nithel looked toward Nathair, recognition dawning. He didn’t want to let her go near him, but… Nathair looked like a lost boy, now. The Star Breather loves him. Perhaps… you were placed here to show love to all these people… who never knew it. Perhaps… that’s why He allowed Leana to come, too. Nithel blinked rapidly, looking at the adults who’d just barged into the room, shouting, and back to Leana… She stared expectantly, those big eyes begging permission, ignoring the erupting chaos around her. He breathed softly, and gave the faintest nod.

Leana grinned, glowing like a star, and skipped over to Nathair’s corner. She plopped down before him, on her knees, and stared at him a moment, eyes still glowing, her pale face framed in red. But slowly sadness conquered her face… and tears pooled in her eyes. She leaned forward, and hugged Nathair… tight… I’m sorry. Her shoulders trembled with supressed sobs. But those two words continued to ache in her younger heart, as thoughts raced through her mind, and emotions ached in her heart. I’m sorry. 

Ohel’s brows popped up, just a bit, at seeing the hug. Hey… I want one! He looked down at his hands, his knobby legs, and tugged on his mussy hair. Ohel flared his nose, eyes bugging, at how… un-attractive he appeared.

Nithel smiled at Alessio as he bounded over. You remember! Oh, praise the Maker! Or… Alessio pivoted toward the man, Oscar, and a woman, and sized them up. “He didn’t do anything! Uh, he, uhhh…”

Nithel’s eyes twinkled a bit. Still defending people. 

“Oh! We got lost and Burn’s going to help us” Alessio scrambled on. “…until we…get back home… It’s a pleasure to meet you, sir.” Alessio attempted with a bow which caused Nithel’s brows to lift, and indeed impressed him.“We’re extremely grateful that you’ve allowed us to infringe on your hospitality this long, the grounds are exquisite and it was a pleasure to be graced with your presence.”

Ohel looked from Alessio, to the new people, dark eyes narrow. He jumped to his feet, and approached them, trying to walk in his lazy saunter, which looked… not quite right on a boy of seven or eight… “Who are you? What are you?” Nobles of some sort? Rich merchants? He stared up at the man, Oscar, and the woman, hands fisted at his sides.

Nithel smiled sadly, cheeks flushing a bit, though… he honestly wasn’t responsible for all… this. “We are terribly lost, I’m afraid. All of us.” He glanced over the small gathering, before looking back at the proprietors. That is, except for the two you know, I suppose. 

——-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Jominkreesa

Ragnarok
    @ragnarok

Wonderful, more people he could torment.

Arsene was about to say something, when Sage walked up to the two new adults.

He looked up at them with the widest of eyes and asked in the tiniest voice, “Do you know where my parents are?”

Arsene could not let him know. Not yet. Not like this. Before either of the new people could say anything, Sage turned his attention to what Arsene feared the most.

“Is that a spider?” Sage asked, pointing at the floor.

His eyes grew even wider… until the woman stomped the spider with her foot. Ouch.

Sage looked like he was on the verge of tears. Until… something dreadful happened. The spider regenerated. Only now it was an inch bigger. And… it was sticky, and hairy, and… and…

Arsene cringed upon seeing this… this monstrosity.

Shifting his hands into the dragon form, Sage gently picked up the spider. “Can I keep him?”

No. Please say no. Please.

Yelp, this was your idea @this-is-not-an-alien. What’s going to happen now?

• This reply was modified 11 months ago by Ragnarok.

You can only come to the morning through shadows: Tolkien

Sarafini
    @sarafini

Hi, my name is Sara. I wrote an intro post. This looks like fun but I have no idea what’s happening. Can you guys summarize and can I join/add my characters. They’re Sci-fi characters but there’s a thin line between Sci-fi and Fantasy so I think they’ll fit in well. If you want to hear more tag me and I’ll share my WIP. You can look at a brief overview of my series on my intro page.

Sarafini
    @sarafini

I also have an allegorical fantasy Contemporary story in the works that I’ll add characters from. I need character idea names for the dragon btw.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Heyyy Sara!!!! @sarafini

Ok we’re doing a sort of roleplay with our characters to test-run them before we set them loose on our WIPs, it’s a little bit overwhelming and complicated at first but really easy once you get the gist of it!

So Step One: Set up a character bio. We’ve got a separate topic area for talking out roleplay stuff and plotting (and make memes about the dumb things our characters do) here and so that’s where you’d write your bio. Some things to include are: Name. Age. Appearance. Personality. And whatever information you feel like ranting about we love rants!

Step Two 

Once you do that you’ll get a quick overview of what’s happened in the castle already if you don’t feel like reading through like 31 pages of chaos (I don’t blame you 😜), and then you can have your character appear in any dramatic way you choose and interact with the other characters.

You just write a piece with what your character does and the other people write back with how their characters react and so forth. Sometimes you have to make the other characters do something to forward the story but avoid handling other character’s responses as much as possible unless you’ve already coordinated it.

AT THIS POINT A LOT OF PEOPLE GET OVERWHELMED JUST WORRY ABOUT STEP ONE IT ALL HAPPENS PRETTY NATURALLY ONCE YOU GET STARTED!!! IT’S CONFUSING AT FIRST BUT NOBODY CARES IF YOU MAKE A MISTAKE WE ALL GET IT!😅

Step Three

We’ll probably get you to fill out a quick bio of your world because we’re exploring each characters’ worlds right now, we’re in @hannahrenner’s world currently so like every writer will get a chance to test the integrity of their worldbuilding. It’s just a guideline you don’t have to use it you just have to give us the information we need to interact with your world while we’re still getting to know it.

So that’s a brief overview, but right now just set up a character bio and post it in the Character Castle (same link as before) and then we’ll fill you in on how to drop them in and start interacting!

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Who are you? What are you?” Demanded a boy and Alessio paled, darting a glance at him as if to say ‘do you want to die!?’ That was…Ohel…wow he looked…different as a kid…

“He meant no disrespect!” Alessio squeaked, thrusting an arm in front of Ohel as if to shield him. Yeeting out the window was looking better and better by the second. He had to tilt his head up to see the man’s face and that honestly made him feel even smaller. And everything was too loud, being alone was always safer…

“We are terribly lost, I’m afraid.” Nithel said, “All of us.”

Alessio backed up a step, then ducked behind Nithel’s arm, clinging to his sleeves childishly as he peered out. Even though that was “unseemly behavior in a prince”. It was nice to finally know a grownup who’d protect him. Even if it was…cowardly…

He bit his lip giddily. Maybe if he got really lucky, he could convince Nithel to adopt him and he’d never have to go home and he’d have a sister and a real family and none of the bad things would happen…Except…then ‘Ander would be alone with them. And…Alessio buried his face in Nithel’s arm (and very tentatively grasped at the tips of his shiny gold hair)

“Do you know where my parents are?” Child-Sherlock said in a tiny voice, and Alessio peeked up. Glancing from Sage/Sherlock to Arsene, the boy got a sinking lump in the pit of his stomach. They died, didn’t they? Alessio blinked rapidly, racking his brain for a way to comfort him.

“Is that a spider?” Sage pointed at the floor at a strange fuzzy black dot with legs everywhere. Curiously, Alessio craned his neck until he nearly lost his balance. All at once, the Angry Lady crushed it with her foot like it wasn’t worth anything even though it hadn’t done anything at all!

Alessio made a stifled noise like a hurt puppy.

Then it popped upright again, even larger stick legs with fuzz all around it. Whoaa. He mouthed, completely enraptured. Gently, Sage picked up the creature and held it.

“Can I keep him?”

Shyly, carefully, Alessio peered out again, father and father until he finally stumbled closer, his eyes sparkling with fascination. He darted a bright look at Nithel, and tugged him along by his sleeve to Sage and the ‘spider’, clutching tight enough his tiny knuckles turned white. If you stopped touching somebody, they could disappear and that was not going to happen!

“What is it?” he burst “What’s it eat? Can I hold it?”

@ragnarok
    @kimlikesart @hannahrenner

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana, in the corner with Nathair, pulled back just enough to look at Nathair’s face, tears still in her eyes. “You don’t have to stay a snake.”

Ohel glowered when Alessio tried to shield him from these people and cover his words. If those words were disrespectful, yeah, I meant them. Ohel was about to shove Alessio away but the boy already fluttered on. *Original child Ohel would never have shoved anybody, and might… have acted more like Alessio just had, honestly*

Nithel’s heart warmed as Alessio hid under an arm, but also ached. The seriousness of everything started crashing back down on him. Nithel squeezed Alessio close, and almost smiled when the boy fingered his hair, almost. Is it really that interesting? He remembered his babies, his wife… *memories* Nithel glanced toward Leana, to make sure she was alright, before looking back down at Alessio. Love burned in his heart. But… also pain. So many unknowns.

“Do you know where my parents are?” The child Nithel had dragged into the pool whispered, shy. “Is that a spider?” He pointed at the floor at a strange fuzzy black dot with legs everywhere, face sparking with curiousity.

Nithel’s nose flared with disgust, but his shoulders eased when the woman stomped on it. But. It just. Came back to life. Chills ran up Nithel’s arms. Alessio pulled away from him, and started toward it. Nithel stuttered, as he was tugged along behind. No. Nithel crawled, not wanting to attempt walking, yet… and gave marginal resistance.

“Can I keep him?” The child who first noticed the spider.

No. Nithel’s eyes widened, then narrowed. He looked at the boy incredulously. Why-?! Alessio looked back at Nithel, eyes glowing with excitment. Somehow, Nithel’s eyes widened even more. WHAT?

“What is it?” Alessio blurted “What’s it eat? Can I hold it?”

NO. Nithel still struggled to make his tongue do what he told it to.

“No. And it doesn’t matter!” Ohel squeak-growled and desperately scrambled for a large book. You’re just a bunch of children… “It could be poisonous and kill us.”

Nithel shook his head, holding up the hand Alessio wasn’t clutching, and staring pointedly at younger Ohel. “But if you smash it, it may just come back again. Larger.” Perhaps we should drop it out the window. Or drown it. 

And please, He gave Alessio and the other boy an equally if not more-pointed look, whisper-hissing. “Do not test that.” Having a son, he knew- Having a son. He pressed his eyes closed, but a moment, before looking at the two boys again. Please. “Don’t.”

———-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Jominkreesa

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Nathair buried himself deeper in his corner, glowering down until he could hear a girl skipping to him. He glared up at her as she dropped in front of him, sparkly eyed. Leana? What did she want? He wanted to kick her before she started making fun of him.

Red flickered in her chest, hungrily, like bait. Then she started…crying. Nathair stared in horror as Leana leaned forward and swung her arms around him. With a yelp he kicked and squirmed.

“Gwah! What are you doing get off me!?!?! Get it off me!!!” He jerked back, glaring viciously at her, diving into his corner as she stared at him teary-eyed.

“You don’t have to stay a snake.” She insisted, softly, her wide blue eyes shimmering with droplets.

“What do you care what I do!? Just-get away from me!” He growled, floundering in his corner for an out. He wrapped his arms around himself tightly like she had. (Yasha had been friendly too. He hadn’t forgotten any of it.) “Leave me alone, you’re just a…a princess!”

He said it in the most disgusted manner possible as if that was supposed to be an insult and scooted away. Not sure if he wanted her run away or if he wanted her to stay.

Alessio was reaching to touch the spider when Ohel jumped in.

“No. And it doesn’t matter!” He made a funny noise the way he tried to shout and he dashed for a book. “It could be poisonous and kill us.”

Cool!” Alessio oohed with a boyish grin, and pointed at Sage. “Is that why you shifted your hand when you picked it up!? I’m immune to most poisons I could pick it up!”

“But if you smash it, it may just come back again. Larger.” Nithel said, holding up his hand to stop Ohel from rushing it with a book. Alessio shielded the spider with his hand and glared at the boy. All it was doing was existing! It hadn’t hurt anybody!

Wait…how big could it get…?

Nithel shot him and the other boy both a severe look.

“Do not test that.” He whispered almost like Mother when she couldn’t yell at him in public. Alessio jumped back a little, accidentally tugging Nithel’s arm with him. Closing his eyes for a second, Nithel looked a lot older than when he was older. Alessio shyly fingered his sleeve, sort’ve comfortingly. “Don’t.”

“Is it hated in your world because it’s different too?” Alessio asked, staring up at him with wide, inquiring dark eyes.

@kimlikesart
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Kimmi
    @kimlikesart

Leana winced as he kicked, backing up, and shaking out one of her hands… But three of her fingers still hurt, from bending back when he kicked them.

“What do you care what I do!? Just-get away from me!” Nathair growled, floundering in his corner, as if he wanted to escape, but eventually wrapped his arms around himself. “Leave me alone, you’re just a…a princess!”

Leana’s little brows furrowed and her lips pursed, as she stared at him. “Don’t… princesses have to be rich? I’ve never met one. Have you? Our country doesn’t have them or kings. Just ‘ambassadors’. And they change. One stopped by our house, from our city, once! His horse had hurt itself, and he stayed with us a week, while Mama and Papa helped it.” Her eyes crinkled a bit, as if she wanted to laugh, even as she cradled her hurt hand against her chest, pain behind her eyes. “But… why do I care?” She shrugged, looking at Nathair. “You’re a person. The Star Breather loves you. What other reason do I need?”

“Not because it’s different…” Nithel pulled in a slow breath. A weighted question. He looked at the creature and then Alessio’s eyes, “Different helps us grow. But their bites kill people. My father-in-law… almost died, because of a bite. He lost a leg. I don’t want any of us to get hurt.” But, my, Dom would look at me the same way.
    *further thoughts, that honestly led to many other deeper things… he actually starts to wonder why a spider’s life should be seen as worth so little…*

Ohel bounced on his heels, still holding the book, and glowering at everyone. “If you’re not affected by poisons, throw it out the window! Because some of us are.”

————-

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @hannahrenner @ragnarok

Jominkreesa

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 522 total)
  • The forum ‘Fantasy Writers’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Craft Moving Themes Without Turning Readers Off

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the 2024 Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Get Free Writing Resources

Sign up below to gain immediate access to over a dozen ebooks, story worksheets, and action step guides.

Register for the Panel Discussion

Enter your email to claim your free spot at the live event!

Pin It on Pinterest