-
Selah CJW started the topic To self-publish or not to self-publish? in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
That is the question. Okay, that and a couple of other questions, maybe. XD
So I’ve been planning to self-publish the book that I’ve been writing like crazy within the next couple of months, but I’m starting to have second thoughts just a little bit and wondered a few things. Those of you who have published (esp if you’ve done well :P), I’d…[Read more]
-
Josiah DeGraaf replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth I agree with a lot of @taylorclogston‘s feedback. Not sure if you’re looking at traditional publishing or re-trying self-publishing right now, but if the latter, I’d definitely invest in a professional cover (as it sounds like you’re already considering) and also work on building your personal platform so you’re able to reach a…[Read more]
-
Daeus Lamb replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth Taylor’s already given good advice, but I just want to say I’ve been in the same boat and it’s all for the best in the long run. The most important thing to focus on is your product. Building a platform, paying for ads, and all that are secondary and really just drain your energy until you’ve got the foundation laid. The good…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth Thank you for taking it well =P You do seem serious about writing, for whatever it’s worth.
I just want you to know I did the exact same over impulsive publishing thing. I published mine after a bunch of years of casual writing, without learning anything about doing it properly, let alone marketing. I put out a too-short book…[Read more]
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Before I get into some of the explaining parts, I’d like to thank you for taking the time to help me out. You are literally the first person who has given me constructive criticism on my writing, adressing problems and such, and I was getting tired of people giving me the fluffy-bunny thoughts of my book. And you don’t come across…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth No worries regarding sounding like you’re in it for money. If you create a product, it’s not wrong to want money for it. It just means you value your time and effort.
Okay, there’s a lot to unpack here XD
- Middle grade is an infamously difficult genre to publish in, especially for self pubbers. Middle grade books get read…
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
I am not opposed to the idea of spending money on advertising, the problem arises that I have a job that, because for COVID, is hardly paying the car/phone bills each month, so I don’t have a lot of extra money on hand.
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
Thank you!
You can follow this link to Katana Khan.
My book is 50-55k words, 162 pages long, and released on July 29, 2019.
I have the paperback version listed at $9.99, and the ebook at $2.99. (It has 1373 KB)
After double checking, I recieve 60% royalties ($3.20) on the paperback, and 70% on the ebook ($2.06)
I’m not…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth Hey, congrats on putting your work out there.
First and foremost, Amazon does advertise for you. As people buy your book it appears in the “other people also purchased” section of similar books. So long as you are serving a sub-genre faithfully, this is pretty good advertising. You are absolutely right that KDP ads are not a…[Read more]
-
Taylor Clogston joined the group Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 2 months ago
-
Linyang Zhang replied to the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 3 months ago
@rebekah-elizabeth I believe that the way traditional publishing works is that first you find an agent, who will then contact a publisher for you. There’s probably other people in this forum who know more than me, though.
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth started the topic Publishing questions in the forum Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 3 months ago
Hello SE!
My name is Rebekah, and a year ago (next month) I self-published my book on Amazon through KDP.
Initially I was really proud of myself, but now I wonder if I’ve made a mistake.
You see, the book is $9.99, and I receive less than $3 in royalties. I don’t care too much about that, other than the fact that they do not advertise for me.…[Read more]
-
Rebekah.Elizabeth joined the group Publishing and Marketing Nerds 6 years, 3 months ago
-
Kristianne Hassman replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Oh wow, thank you! I’m glad you enjoyed it. I’ll be sure to tag you when I post anything else in the future. 🙂
-
Ella replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Glad to help! I like your style–it was easy to follow. I’d love to read anything else you post!
-
Kristianne Hassman replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Thank you for reading it and for your suggestions. You brought up some good points that I will definitely consider. As for the ending, I personally prefer when stories have some sort of closure rather than ending abruptly. I can see what you mean about the angel part not being necessary. I don’t think I’ll take it out completely,…[Read more]
-
Kristianne Hassman replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Thanks so much for taking the time to read it and give suggestions! I really appreciate it. I will think about how to rephrase those sentences. 🙂
-
Taylor Clogston replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
I agree with Ella about the close repeats and formatting.
All I “know” of operating rooms comes from TV, so please be patient =P First, would anyone bother thinking or saying “ECG machine” instead of just “ECG?” Second, would the MC be required to formally call time of death, or is that just a TV thing?
Why is this the patient who gets to the…[Read more]
-
Ella replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Sorry, the quotes didn’t work.
-
Ella replied to the topic Short Story: A Chance of Hope in the forum Contemporary Fiction Writers 6 years, 3 months ago
Wow! That was amazing! I only spotted a couple of things that won’t take long to fix.
Kristianne Hassman wrote:
Breathe, I tell myself. In and out. In and out. My heart calms and I lean back, closing my eyes.
Maybe you could use italics to distinguish her thoughts for readability’s sake. If you decide to do that, then ma…[Read more] - Load More












