fb

Fantasy Writers

Word building philology(language making)

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

I guess what I’m doing is finding meaning of words. The beauty of language is not the words themselves or what if they sound cool, it’s what they mean. The meaning gives beauty. I’m just trying to find the meaning behind some of these words. I may not have a system, but I’m starting with just a simpler approach for now.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@crazywriter

I like what you said there. That’s very true. A word can sound cool, but if it means something bad, then it loses its beauty. And vise-versa, the word can sound kinda mediocre or even weird, but if it has a good meaning, it has a natural beauty.

So when I make a language, I usually try to use a construction similar to Latin. Since I’m guessing you have very little clue how the Latin system works, basically you divide each word into the type it is (noun, verb, adjective, etc.) then you create endings that mean a certain thing. For example, you’d have something like the word terr, but then you’d add an “a” on the end and that would mean that it acts as a noun in the sentence. If, on the other hand, you add an “ae” on the end, that means that it functions as an indirect object. That probably sounded realllly confusing…

Let me know what I need to elaborate/try again on! 🙂

"The light perceives the very heart of the darkness." -Haldir

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

No that’s extremely helpful. I might do some of the words that way, but I’m kinda trying to do it….maybe….more artistically than Latin. I admire Latin, I enjoy hearing Gregorian chants in Latin, but when I think of Latin, I think of a dry, earthy language. As I mentioned before, this one is meant to be silver-y, or smooth, if you know what I mean. Maybe you don’t, and I’m just crazy, but anyways you got me thinking on a idea. Many of my words intentionally start with ES. Maybe I could have that be the noun signifier but in this language it literally translates out to be ‘the story of.’

for instance, Calas , would literally translate to ‘brilliant light, indescribable beauty, glory, etc but add ES before it and you get Escalas, the story of light, indescribable beauty, etc and in a artistic and perhaps stupid way that signifies the noun

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

Or maybe it should be ‘the object of’ to signify the noun. Perhaps that would make more sense

Erynne
    @erynne

What would help you out the most that I could do? Invent words? Try and come up with good structure?

I’m willing to help out with anything 🙂

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

All of the above, but maybe the focus should be on the system since I have no shortage of good words.

again, thanks for helping me, I know I’m not the easiest person to work with, I hardly explain anything well, and am a little scattered

Erynne
    @erynne

No I’m happy to help!

Have you thought about articles (a, an, and the)? Do you want to include those in your language or do you want to keep them as is?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

I was thinking that a/an would be represented by simply the letter A(original, yes I know XD) with the difference being a simple ‘a’ for a, and ‘á’ for an.
    ‘The’ would be Ech, pronounced throatily, like Ecchh in the back of your throat

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@crazywriter

I know exactly what you mean by silvery! I also agree that Latin is very earthy. I think your idea could actually work quite well. I’m quite fond of languages that carry the signifier in the prefix and not the suffix. It does give it a more light feel. I would maybe think of some more prefixes, like perhaps es for the object of, and maybe eyr for indirect object, etc. if you follow me.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

thats extremely helpful!!!
    thank you again, like i said, I’m not that good with languages so I could be rambling a lot, and not make much sense but you are helping!

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Lol I’m glad to hear that! You’re actually making quite a bit of sense.

Erynne
    @erynne

I feel like I’m not helping much XD

@Denali-Christianson
    is much better at this than I am 😉

Do you want to do every single individual word your language or do you want to throw in some English?

Also suffixes are as important as prefixes *Nods in satisfaction*

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

No you both are helping. I just want to start with major nouns and adjectives for now. We can get nitty gritty after that

Erynne
    @erynne

That makes sense.

I thought of something that might make this a little easier. This is just a random example I made up. I have a feeling that he I try to explain it I’ll just make it super confusing.

So instead of saying: “the girl lives in Africa” you could say “girl’s home, Africa”

It’ll sound a lot better in your language and it will probably make this process a lot easier.

I’m not sure If this helps or not. You’re smart so I’m sure you’ve already thought of that lol

Viewing 14 posts - 16 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest