-
Andrew started the topic Made-up or Mixed Genres?????? in the forum General Writing Discussions 8 years ago
There are many genres. Fantasy, sci-fi, historical, etc. I used to write more in sci-fi, but now I do more fantasy. But I like to experiment. So, what would be your thoughts on a ‘made-up genre’?
Sure, I mix genres all the time, but what would you think about… a totally new one (if you can actually make a totally new genre up?)
But even if I was to make a completely new one, even then people would probably think it is still some weird fantasy genre twisted in sci-fi elements with a touch of historical time traveling… well, that’s because it probably would be. The genre has to have some of the same elements, even if they share elements from genres all over the world.
Fantasy is more of a mystical setting, whereas sci-fi is of the futuristic kind. But if I was to make a mixed genre (or a made-up-ish genre, if totally genres can even be made up) and it happened to be so complex that it was nothing like you’ve ever even thought of in a story, what would you say about it? I’d try not to make it so complex that you couldn’t understand it, but at the same time, yeah, I’d make it really complex. Hope that made sense.
But I thought this was an interesting topic.
I’d like your thoughts on it.
@the-fledgling-artist @evelyn @nuetrobolt @wordsmith @jenwriter17 @e-b-raulands @scribbles @everyone












