fb

Made-up or Mixed Genres??????

Forums Fiction General Writing Discussions Made-up or Mixed Genres??????

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

There are many genres. Fantasy, sci-fi, historical, etc. I used to write more in sci-fi, but now I do more fantasy. But I like to experiment. So, what would be your thoughts on a ‘made-up genre’?

Sure, I mix genres all the time, but what would you think about… a totally new one (if you can actually make a totally new genre up?)

But even if I was to make a completely new one, even then people would probably think it is still some weird fantasy genre twisted in sci-fi elements with a touch of historical time traveling… well, that’s because it probably would be. The genre has to have some of the same elements, even if they share elements from genres all over the world.

Fantasy is more of a mystical setting, whereas sci-fi is of the futuristic kind. But if I was to make a mixed genre (or a made-up-ish genre, if totally genres can even be made up) and it happened to be so complex that it was nothing like you’ve ever even thought of in a story, what would you say about it? I’d try not to make it so complex that you couldn’t understand it, but at the same time, yeah, I’d make it really complex. Hope that made sense.

But I thought this was an interesting topic.

I’d like your thoughts on it.

@the-fledgling-artist
    @evelyn @nuetrobolt @wordsmith @jenwriter17 @e-b-raulands @scribbles @everyone

"Muhahaha!"- Unknown Villain

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew I think being creative and thinking outside the box in relation to genre is a great idea! Something I did learn though at a writers conference is that agents, editors, and publishing houses that you could potentially pitch to like you to set a sort of definite genre, and at the same time be something that makes sense. I don’t know if you’re hoping to publish one day or not, but I think mashing up genres and getting creative sounds fun. 🙂 I’ve never really tried any mixed genres before…

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, thanks. 🙂

Sometimes I overthinks things like this… Like, can you really make up a new genre… or is that just a mixed genre – and then part of me thinks, well, a lot of actual genres are technically mixed genres – because they share many elements of the same – just in a different way with different rules. Do dystopian, for example. But still, a mixed genre isn’t really a permanent genre… 

I could probably keep going in circles, keeping rethinking this over and over again.

But I don’t want to, so I’ll try not too.

You write historical, if I remember correctly (which I do!) What have you been doing recently in that historical world?! 🙂

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17 Okay, dystopian isn’t actually a mixed genre, but I hope you got what I was saying. I  was just using ‘dystopian’ as an example…

Now I hope you aren’t confused.

Sorry, I was up late last night. I tend to do more things like that when it gets really late. *stares though fingers*

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, wait, did what I say about the ‘dystopian’ actually make sense?

Oh, just forget about that whole thing!!!!!!!!!

*rubs eyes and stares accusingly down at the keyboard*

Parker Hankins
    @parker

@andrew, this sounds really interesting. I would love it if you could make up another genre. It would be hard though, and take a lot of thought.

Living in a world of mystery and dangerous predicaments while working with the AWESOME Meraki's.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@parker, yeah, I agree. I never put much thought into it, put it’d be fun to play around with.

I just got on  here to check if I got any notifications, but I really should be doing school right now.

*disappears into the Realm of School*

Jenna Terese
    @jenwriter17

@andrew yeah I got what you were saying 🙂

"If you want to change the world, pick up your pen and write." -Martin Luther
    www.jennaterese.com

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@jenwriter17, okay. 🙂 🙂 🙂

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

I think most “new” genres are a combination of basic building blocks like historical, romance, fantasy, sci-fi, etc.–which would make them mixed genres … UNTIL … they get a new name that describes that particular combination. For example, the steampunk genre (which I’m actually not that familiar with on the whole) is essentially a combination of science fiction and historical fiction, with some additional nuances that earned it its own label.

So I guess…yes, you can create a whole new genre…but it’s probably not going to have its own name unless you popularize the combination. Of course, you can name your combination of genres yourself, but it may or may not catch on outside of your personal circle. 😀

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@scribbles 🙂

That was helpful. That was sort of what I was trying to say… Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Rachel Rogers
    @scribbles

Sure thing! I thought maybe that was what you were saying, but I wasn’t sure. 🙂

Ambiverted INFP. Scribbles all the words. Names the plant friends. Secretly Edna the Piguirrel.

Evelyn
    @evelyn

@andrew This reminds me of something I heard the author N.D. Wilson talking about. His most recent books were a bit strange to decide how to market, because was it an adventure story? Well there were many adventures… but then there was magical elements… so was it fantasy? But then they travel back in time… so was the series si-fi?

I’m not sure what he decided to categorize them as though.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

@evelyn & @scribbles

Yeah. Most of my stories are mixes of different genres. It makes them more fun and unique.

Maybe the ‘genre’ might be in this mineral, gem-and-stone land, filled with beasts (and these lands are not worlds nor realms, but a piece of land called antrevomes.) And the universe just sort of mashes together, with antrevomes just floating through open space like diamonds, unaffected.

And then they also build bridges to the different antrevomes, floating through the universe in groups like the ‘blood cells’ of the universe that keep it alive.

And whenever a black hole comes by, it takes with it a lot of the antrevomes, sucking them into another universe (and possibly destroy them.)

That was just an idea for an genre. I was just sort of thinking it up as I wrote it.

Andrew Schmidt
    @andrew

Oh, and also with the beasts that feel these ‘antrevomes,’ there’s still all kinds of cultures to that too.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Pin It on Pinterest