Romance Writers

What do you appreciate in a romance?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Corine
    @corine

I’m interested to know what’s something that you appreciate reading about in a romance?

For example, I love seeing an exploration of the safety that couples can feel in each other’s presence. I think it’s quite a beautiful (if weak) reflection of the refuge that we find in God as His children.

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
      @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@corine

Hi Corine!

I love your view of romance! That’s incredibly beautiful.

I love reading romance, mostly Historical romance. Historical romance is beautiful to me because it captures the beauty of something we’re losing today: Chivalry.  I think chivalry is very important and there’s so little of it left in our culture today. People dont respect each other the way they used to. So historical romance shows more of the way it’s supposed to be. (Not perfect of course!!)

Romance in general? It’s just such a beautiful thing! True love is so priceless and precious. It’s such a special thing that God lovingly designed for us. And I can’t imagine a world without it!! 🙂

So there’s my two cents 😉

Thank you for creating this thread Btw!! It’s very thought provoking to think about why we read the things we read. And I think it’s something all of us should do more often.

Sold souls and dead promises

Corine
      @corine

Oooh I agree! There’s something special in historical romance that is very rare these days (and therefore in contemporary fiction). Chivalry is almost bittersweet in being so beautiful but also lacking.

I think with romance, as with a lot of things in writing, it’s so important to understand its purpose. It can be quite obvious if a romance is just thrown in for the sake of having a romance, and like you say it’s such a beautiful thing that should glorify God, so a cheap imitation can actually do more harm than good.

Hope you’re safe and well! 🙂

Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@corine

I think with romance, as with a lot of things in writing, it’s so important to understand its purpose. It can be quite obvious if a romance is just thrown in for the sake of having a romance, and like you say it’s such a beautiful thing that should glorify God, so a cheap imitation can actually do more harm than good.

YES! amen!

I’m doing well. Are you?

Sold souls and dead promises

Ari Austin
        @amaustin

I am absolutely late to this thread, but it’s because I’m new. I did not join until recently.

Chivalry is the most romantic thing. But, to be fair, I am such a sappy hopeless romantic. At this point, everything melts my heart. (I least in books and my writing. I know nothing about real-life romance.)

My first thought on when you asked what I appreciate seeing in romance was reading about characters who fall in love with each other by accident, but half of the reason they fall in love is that the other person is already so deeply in love with Jesus. However, looking at a romantic relationship like you have, I love seeing girls (even if they can defend themselves) just feel safe in the presence of their significant other. I like when they can relax, knowing that there is someone who loves them that will protect them from the world. And while not a perfect example, it does point to how the church should feel, safe in the arms of Christ. I think this can also relate to chivalry as well, with the guy performing the traditional role of protector.

Right is right though all condemn, and wrong is wrong though all approve.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest