-
Selah replied to the topic Myers Briggs Debate!!! in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 5 months ago
Okay, I mostly agree with you about the American Revolution…you don’t see much British history on that, as all the British generals did a horrible job and slaughtered a lot of brave and otherwise-victorious soldiers needlessly. Pretty humiliating war for them, to say the least, esp when you consider their history and where Britain was at that point in time. :_ And the Vietnam War, yeah, that is true as a general rule…unfortunately.
The Civil War (I am assuming that when you said Civil War and then American Civil War as well, you were talking about the same war 🙂 ) , WWI, WWII…I don’t agree with you. Usually that might be what we hear, but that is more our own faults than it is anything else. Or, if we are public schooled, maybe. Otherwise, there are all kinds of documents, books, letters, diaries, all kinds of stuff that give many sides to all those wars. I would consider that to be more a personal thing…maybe someone doesn’t want to take the time to learn about the Southern side of the Civil War, or what happened when the bombs fell in Japan in WWII.
As for the French Revolution and War of the Roses, it totally depends on what you read! I mean, that is like comparing the sides of the British Civil War between King Charles and Cromwell…people still squabble over which side was right in Britain today, just like they do about the two aforesaid wars. There are tons of books + resources from both viewpoints. I think it honestly comes down to what 1) the reader wants to read, and 2) what they’re given or have been taught was the correct view.
I think I know what you mean in general, and it is true that the usually-propounded views of different wars are read and understood by people. If you lived in a different country, you would likely end up with a totally different idea of said war, though. Say Vietnam, or Germany, Russia, or China, or even a Pacific island or in Poland or Austria in WWII. You would have a totally different view, just like you would have hundreds of years ago if you lived in France or Spain or Prussia, vs England or Ireland, or any other nation! Every nation has it’s victorious years, as well as it’s eclipses, and thus it’s own turn to rise and fall, and write history one way or the other.
I do believe it is true that the victors are usually remembered the longest…when you think of wars in ancient and medieval times, you usually learn of/think of the victorious side, but that is due mostly to the fact (very sadly!) that we don’t learn that much older history. I think the fact that we live in America also adds to the victor’s mentality. America has won nearly every war she every took part in, but a lot of nations can’t say that. If you lived in, say Haiti, the only “victory” you would have to look back on would be the doubtful and bloody triumph from French oppression in the uprising and subsequently brief Dominican conquest several hundred years ago, with an otherwise unbroken history of slavery, ignominy, bloody revolts, and grinding conquests. Where you live determined how you think about the world to a huge degree, even if you do study world history since time began. You mentality is still affected, as where you were born is an intrinsic part of who you are!
Good! It’s encouraging to find someone who enjoys talking about this stuff…and you seem to know history, as well. 😛 I love your profile pic. Have you studied much on the US Military, AF, Special Ops, etc? That is one giant love and hobby of mine for sure. Especially in relation to airborne commands, it is super intriguing!
BTW, can you type my tag out (like I do yours) so that it shows up in my email that way, and I can reply here sooner? 🙂












