fb

Activity

  • EricaWordsmith replied to the topic Do Teen Guys Cry? (help me out please) in the forum General Writing Discussions 7 years, 9 months ago

    @the-inkspiller

    Oh help, you didn’t read my book did you?? Yes, that is my MC all the way. He’s 18, and already done far more in his young life to make him an adult than the average 30-year-olds I have ever heard of. He can be a little stoic at times, and yes, he has been through the grinder before the story begins. In the introduction, he is torn/terrified because of what he’s about to do, and the circumstances that brought him to it. I guess it’s hard for me to write his tears because he’s so strong in the rest of the story, it’s a fine line to write his weakness.

    He does feel that he wants to be strong for his friends, he’s got a lot of leadership characteristics, very much full of determination. However, there are moments where he’s overcome by how daunting the task is that he’s taken on. It’s hard from the very beginning, but by the end he has hope he didn’t have in the beginning. However, he has lost his closest friend by the end, and he’s hoping that somehow he can rescue her. There’s a lot of emotions that he goes through… It’s a little hard to put all of him into one paragraph. I’d say the closest character I could compare him to would be Aragorn with a little bit of Faramir and Frodo. Figuring out how to get into his head can be a little difficult. 🙂 I do kind of think that David is a bit of a good comparison… Maybe. In some ways.

    Wow, that all sounds like very good reasons to cry. I have never been through either of those kinds of situations, but I can understand by what you wrote that it’s really painful. All I can say is that I too have gone through times where God closed doors that I didn’t understand why he would close them. I actually had one this year that I didn’t understand, and I still don’t understand, but I do know that he was very faithful through it. I was planning to go for a month to teach English in Asia with a team, but the day before my flight the school I was going to be at told us not to come. I was very sad about it, but oddly enough, I was completely at peace, and I felt God telling me to trust him completely. I found myself praying not that it would all work out, but that his will would be done. It fell through, and to my surprise and shock, the next week I was on my way to Florida for music camp which has pretty much changed the direction of my life. Today I actually got my application sent off to the college where music camp was, and Lord-willing, I might be going next fall.

    You sound pretty sad about it actually, I will be praying for you. 🙂 I hope that no matter what is going on you’ll find God carrying you through it, and know that even though it hurts, he does have a plan in it all. I think this is the biggest lesson he’s been teaching me this year.

    Just wondering, I mentioned in an earlier post that when I cry, it doesn’t help unless somebody is there to help me through it. Music has been a way for me to work through hurt. Singing, listening to music, playin the piano, it’s very helpful for me. I’m just wondering, from what you said, do you ever feel that it’s helpful to do something with your hands/listen to music, etc?

    P.S. My favorite cry song for years was Hold Me Jesus, that one’s great. 😉

Pin It on Pinterest