-
Eitan replied to the topic Another Short Story! 🙂 in the forum Fantasy Writers 6 years, 5 months ago
Very cute story, I loved it (and the lion facts are very cool)!
Now, my critique – it’s just my opinion, and I enjoyed the story anyway.
At first, I was sure that the story is about cats 😉
The names of the cubs are somewhat strange. Calling a lion after his color isn’t very informative, since all lions have the same color… Maybe you could use names that sound more ”lionish”, or that tell about the culture of the lions.
Ancient Hebrew names, for example, were usually either names of animals (wild goat, lion, gazelle…) and plants (date palm), either ”Godly” names (YHWH is my salvation, YHWH will erect, I serve YHWH…) – what tells us that the Israelites used nature as a metaphor of human traits and characteristics, and valued God and religion (after all, many wicked kings had ”Godly” names).
Maybe the lions view body parts as symbols for characteristics? Tail may represent beauty and gentleness, and legs may signify strength and speed. Or maybe they have certain legends about trees, rocks and so on? For example, maybe the legends say that the acacia was a brave lion who sacrificed his life for his pride, so after his death, the first acacia tree grew upon his death so due to the lion’s courage, his descendants could enjoy shadow in the hot summer – in such case, ‘’Acacia’’ would be a common and popular name for males.
“Of course, my little cub,” she responded.In this context, it’s clear that it’s the mother who speaks – you didn’t have to explain it.
Anyway, I really enjoyed the story, and that’s just my opinion!












