-
W.O.Norfleet replied to the topic Guys, This is Called the WHISPER CHat in the forum Critiques 7 years ago
Yes, flow is definitely one of my strengths in writing poetry (not to boast), and I am always trying to write poetry that readers can follow and not throw down for lack of flow.
Poetry, to me, is a mystery. It is a way to thread emotions into a form that anyone can read. Maybe not understand, but read. And maybe pick up the general meaning but still with depth so that they would go away with interest and the want to read more of it. I feel that if I explain myself too much, it will all seem like a joke: “Yeah, that guy’s poetry is pretty good, but it’s too literal for me.” And that’s just how my style is, so I’ll probably have to show depth without confusion. That’s what I’m going for in the next few years.
How about this: Look over there at those waves. (there (over there) folding sheets). The folding sheets are the waves and when I say there, I mean literally, “Look over there”. I’m using the word there as a placement of the waves.
Great!
In response to the meter: Yes, the meter does go da-dum, da-dum, da-dum. And still it carries on into that line. -Each set of word within the parenthesis are a da-dum; (WE sing)(AND hum)(OF ta)(LES strong). So it’s not “(of)(tales)(strong)” [one syllable each]. It’s as above.
Okay! I see now, though I’d argue readers probably won’t catch on. There’s nothing in the text to show the reader that there’s a connection between jumping and sprawling and the sleet being thinned.But in that line it says “To jump AND sprawl AND thin the sleet”. So the both the jumping, sprawling, and thinning of the sleet is happening.
Ok, yeah, I see your point. Thanks!
NIce word: conlang(er). Yea, I heard you speak it on your website, and, with all languages, it has its own style. Which is surprisingly separate from other languages. It’s original and it relates to its people. Very good, yes, and definitely something to start from.
Nay, I haven’t read of that book before, but I’ll look into it. Sounds interesting!












