fb

Activity

  • Sir Leeds replied to the topic Travels in the Ericson Public Library (poem) in the forum Critiques 8 years, 5 months ago

    Hi @scribbles

    1) Haha nice pun! And I agree with you, there is a lot of leeway. I’ll experiment with both.

    2) I guess I wanted to communicate the feeling of being a big fish in a little pond and a little fish in the ocean. When you’re the big fish, I feel like it’s really easy to feel good about yourself and where you are in life, but it’s also easy to look down on everything around you and for pride to take root. On the flip side, when you’re the little fish in the ocean and you’re surrounded by bigger fish, I feel like it’s easy to feel lonely and insignificant and everything around you seems grand but also hostile. So I thought the cyclops from the Odyssey (a character from adult literature looking down at children’s literature) would be a good reference to show what being a big fish in a small pond would be like and Bilbo from the Hobbit (a character from children’s literature looking up at adult literature) would be a good reference to show what being a little fish in the ocean would be like.

    I probably could throw the word “pride” in there somewhere to make sure the point gets across, but I think that might fall into telling the reader what’s going on instead of showing. Do you think putting more Odyssey references in would help? Or maybe there’s a better reference I could use?

    I really appreciate all this feedback. Sometimes it’s hard for me to tell when I’m beating my readers over the head with my point and when I make my point too hard for the reader to find.

Pin It on Pinterest