-
Sir Leeds replied to the topic A Spring Night in the forum Critiques 8 years, 1 month ago
<p style=”text-align: left;”>Hi @emma-starr</p>
1) Haha no, you don’t sound like a “tree hugger” to me.2) The “vibe” I get from this poem is one of “being in the moment”. It kind of reminds me of Frost’s “Passing Through the Woods on a Snowy Evening” in what it’s trying to capture.
3) I wouldn’t say it sounds choppy or disconnected to me. My best advice would be to try reading it out loud without stopping. Your ears will pick up on things that your eyes can’t.
I will say this though. The language of the poem (specifically words like “winsome”, “merry”, “envelopes”, etc.) gives me a feeling like, as an old creative writing instructor used to say about my writing, “I’d love to see you run, but you showed up for running practice in a business suit.” What he meant by that was that I was using words and phrases that were too big and formal for my poems. I think you might be struggling with that here too, but again, it’s what you think about how it sounds that matters most here.
4) I really do like what you’re trying to capture and represent here. I can’t wait to see where you take this poem.












