fb

Activity

  • F.C. Tait replied to the topic Star Wars: The Last Jedi in the forum Story Analysis 8 years, 1 month ago

    @jane-maree @e-b-raulands

    So many people say Rey is perfect but I just don’t get that? She believes everything she’s told, literally every single thing regardless of where it comes from. She goes straight to the dark side for answers. She confides in Kylo Ren despite the fact that he’s obviously evil and she’s both witnessed and experienced that evil. Her need for answers and willingness to get them from anywhere goes beyond naivete to selfishness and willful stupidity. I think her character develops as she (slowly) becomes more emotionally independent and begins to have confidence in herself and her own abilities rather than needing answers and affirmation all the time. That was my take on it anyway.

    But yes, she does learn to fight impossibly quickly.

    I like the film overall. There are some problems, but I think a lot of the main problems people point out are due to misunderstanding the film or the fact people were expecting it to just be a glorified rehash of the Star Wars they know and love. Adding a new story to that franchise was always going to be controversial, but I’m glad they didn’t play it safe and just rehash it.

    I agree about the mirror scene, I found that kind of weird. My only other problem with the film was I felt it was a bit heavy-handed with the feminist messages, and I’m saying that as a feminist myself. I’d have preferred to see female leaders working with Poe and other men rather than shutting them down.

Pin It on Pinterest