fb

Activity

  • Eitan started the topic Help! Story without message! in the forum Fantasy Writers 6 years, 4 months ago

    In the last days I felt a sudden urge for writing, and after thinking I came up with an idea for a setting and some plot. It’s heavily inspired by ”The Lady of the Castle” by Lea Goldberg (we learn it at school):

     

    An ancient castle in the woods of eastern Europe, now functioning as a museum and owned by the government, inhabited by a single, elderly guard. A doctor for art history comes to the castle, in order to stay there a for a while and study the rich art there.

    But things go strange in the castle…

    • The scholar leaves his diary open, then goes to sleep or just isn’t in the room, and someone answers him.
    • He moves a chess piece, and tomorrow a piece of the opposite color will be moved in contrast.
    • While scrolling through the photos in his phone, he sees that someone photoed him while sleeping.
    • The scholar hears piano music, but when entering the music room, no one is there.
    • I’ll think about some more things 🙂

    He realizes that while such things happen, the guard is nowhere near, so the unlikely option that the 60th years old guard is playing with him is off the table.

    Now, I have no idea how to continue the plot, but at the end, the readers will realize that the ”ghost” is the guards bored 12th years old grandson (or granddaughter) that came to his grandpa for the vacation 😀

     

    So, the first problem isn’t that critical (I can think how to continue the plot), I have a more important problem:

    I have no theme or message for my story.

    Nothing. I can write a small cute story about a mischievous kid, or a horror story about a little kid that moves the poor scholar insane, but… As a Christian, my writing must glorify God, and therefore – have a theme, a message, whether I write for a Christian or secular audience*.

    Can you help me to come up with a theme and message for my story, so it will glorify God and not just be a small, cute exercise?

     

    * If writing for secular readers I will not preach the gospel of course – I just thought to create a blog or something to share my writing, so it will actually have influence, and not just sit in my drive folder 😉

Pin It on Pinterest