-
Brandon Miller replied to the topic Writing Conferences in the forum Rillumen’s Writing Discussions 8 years, 4 months ago
@corkybookworm You haven’t? That’s sad. You totally should. I love a lot of different things. The workshops are usually really good and insightful, and it’s cool to talk to other writers. Some conferences have opportunities for you to sit down one-on-one with some of the faculty for “mentoring sessions”. Those are a little intimidating but so so so worth it. Plus, there’s just the indescribable motivation that comes from being in a place all day where every moment everybody is talking about writing and words and publishing and changing the world. That’s… very cool.
How often do I make a point? Well, this year I’m attending… three. There’s a small on in my hometown in April that I went to, then there’s a conferences for OYANers in Kansas City that I’m attending in a couple weeks, then I’m heading to the Realm Makers conference in July. But like… that’s a lot. I’ve never done that much before. The most valuable takeaway is probably just the inspiration/motivation I walk away from a conference with. But… there’s also a lot of ideas and knowledge and new friends.
If I were you, I’d look for a conference in your city. I’m blessed with Wordsowers here in Omaha which is really nice (and relatively cheap) and then just take a swing. But you want to look now, because conference season is upon us.












