We love to ignite ideas in our readers that will set the world aflame for Christ. If you want to help us kindle that fire and light the way for other storytellers, please study the guidelines below. We can’t wait to see your masterpieces!
Statement of Faith
Story Embers is an organization devoted to glorifying God through exceptional literature. As Christians, we uphold the following truths:
- There is only one God who is omniscient, omnipotent, eternal, holy, and the creator of the universe (Neh. 9:6; Isa. 46:9–10; Jer. 10:10; Rom. 11:33; Rev. 15:4). He eternally exists as three distinct persons who equally share His nature: the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit (Matt. 3:16–17, 28:19; John 14:16–26; 1 John 2:22–23).
- God’s Son, Jesus Christ, is both fully God and fully man. He became incarnated, lived a sinless life on earth, suffered and died on the cross for our sins, physically rose from the dead on the third day, and ascended into heaven 40 days later (John 1:14, 10:30–33; Acts 1:3; 1 Cor. 15:1–4; Phil. 2:5–11; Heb. 1:5–13).
- All men fall short of God’s glory and will receive His eternal wrath unless they repent of their sins and believe Christ atoned for them (John 14:6; Rom. 5:8–11, 10:9–10; Eph. 2:1–2; 1 Peter 1:3, 2:24). Salvation comes by grace through faith in Jesus Christ (Eph. 2:4–9), and on the last day those who are saved will be physically raised to eternal life and bliss (John 6:38–40).
- Scripture is the infallible Word of God and the supreme standard by which all human teaching is to be tested (John 17:17; 1 John 4:1). It instructs us how to live in a manner pleasing to God (2 Tim. 3:16–17).
Format & Style
Familiarize yourself with the content we publish prior to submitting. Articles should focus on an aspect of storytelling, and fiction and poetry should have a theme or moral.
All submissions must be original, unpublished works. Although we’re willing to consider simultaneous submissions, contributors must apprise us immediately if their piece is accepted elsewhere.
Word counts should generally stay within these ranges:
- Articles – 750–3,000
- Fiction – 1,000–6,000
- Poetry – 100–800
Type your submission’s title at the top of the page with your name below it, skip a space, and begin your material. Use 12 pt. Times New Roman, left-align text, bold headings, and italicize direct thoughts and words of emphasis. Do not indent paragraphs. Apply single spacing between sentences and double spacing between paragraphs.
Follow American spelling/grammar and carefully proofread your manuscript before submitting. A few typos won’t automatically result in a rejection, but numerous mistakes display a lack of professionalism. We value quality writing, and the more polished your piece is at all levels, the higher your chances of acceptance.
Material that directly contradicts our statement of faith or contains graphic violence, inappropriate sexual references, nudity, blasphemy, or profanity will instantly be rejected. If you are unsure whether your piece violates these standards, please send us a query.
How to Submit
1. Label your file with the name you want printed as your byline and the title of your piece (e.g., Rachel Jones – The Midnight Tempest). Pseudonyms are allowed as long as they’re not taken from a famous individual, ludicrous, or inappropriate.
2. All documents must be Microsoft Word files (if you don’t have access to that program, we recommend preparing your text in Google Docs and exporting to Word).
3. Provide a headshot and a bio (75–150 words) so that readers can connect with you via your website and/or social media. If you don’t enclose a photo and bio in your initial email, your piece will be published without it.
4. Make sure your piece abides by our guidelines and send it to email@example.com. In the subject line of your email, identify the type(s) of material you’ve attached (article, short story, and/or poem). You’ll receive a response from us within two weeks.
Because Story Embers advocates excellence in writing, all accepted submissions are subject to a comprehensive editing process that involves macro as well as micro changes to strengthen the structure and sentences. We retain the right to reject a submission at any time during this process for any reason, including nonconformity to our guidelines or refusal to cooperate with our editorial staff. We edit each piece for content, length, clarity, flow, style, and grammar/spelling, although we strive to maintain the author’s voice and intent. Our goal is to polish each piece to reveal its underlying luster and ensure that the text is as clear and concise as possible to provide an optimal reading experience for our audience. When you submit to us, you consent to have your work refined at our discretion.
All accepted material will be used by Story Embers under these terms:
- Once a submission has passed review, expect up to a two-month interval before it appears on the website. If more time than this has elapsed, feel free to contact us and we’ll check on the status of your submission.
- Contributors grant Story Embers exclusive use of their material for three months. At the end of the three months, contributors are free to reprint their content elsewhere.
- Contributors bear full responsibility for their work. Although we respect the individual views of our writers, we don’t necessarily agree with the opinions expressed in every submission we publish. Story Embers disclaims liability for any material we unknowingly publish that has been plagiarized, contains hidden objects, or negatively represents real people or places. If you believe we have published harmful or plagiarized content, please email your concerns to firstname.lastname@example.org.