Writers of Children’s/Middle-Grade Books

So…Is Anyone Else On Here?

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
  • Author
    Arindown
    @arindown

@abigail-rebekah

Hey Abigail Rebekah! Just wondering, do you go by Abby? Thanks for all the awesome advice! I really appreciate it.

Oh cool…what’s your YA book about? (If you mind me asking )

Well…it’s always hard to explain, but it’s about a wizard who is learning to face his past, how to love, and discover who he is becoming now. Funny thing, it’s a YA, but my main-character is in his 60’s (he’s a young wizard though).

So, do you mean you’ve already started writing them? If so, how long are they so far?

I’ve started writing one, and the other was a “series” that I told out-loud at bedtime to my brothers (ages 6 and 3). I’m currently doing NaNo with my novel, so I’m going to finish that before I take anything too seriously.

2. Maybe research/have a look at other books in that genre

Very good idea. Thanks. I know The Hobbit and Chronicles of Narnia are kinda what I’m looking at, but I’m sure there’s more out there I could look at.

Is it going to be a picture book, as in the small picture books you see in the library, or a proper MG novel with lots of pictures in it?

I was think a MG novel with lots of pictures. My sister is currently reading my little brothers through the whole Chronicles of Narnia, and they love them. I was thinking of doing the length of a novella (maybe around 20k words or something…if I can manage to be that short😁) with lots of illustrations.

How much action do you think is too much? Like, when does action turn into violence for kids?

Thanks again for the advice. I’ll be sure to tag you if I post any part of my stories.

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

Arindown
      @arindown

@imwritehere1920

Hey Lily! Thanks so much for replying. You had some really good suggestions.

Okay, so first off, who is your main target audience?

Hmmm…probably MG. My main character is about 8 or 9.

The answer is ‘yes’; it really depends on exactly how old these little kids are.

Great! I’m thinking probably around 4 and up. I told the stories to my little siblings at bedtime (that was where I got the idea). The youngest kid was 3 and the oldest 11, and they all really loved it. There were some clunky parts, but I figure I can smooth those out in writing.

And as a side note, MG can be compelling, but less violent and no swear words (unless it’s older MG; in that case, it varies somewhat).

How much is too violent? In the plan right now, I have one main figure dying at the end, but not too much else. As for swearing, I think that 99.9% of the time, it’s unneeded anyway, so I’m not going to even touch it…that is, unless a character has an exclamation of their own invention, but that’s not really counted as swearing.

And the protagonist can have adult help, but ultimately they find a way to overcome the story’s problem.

Right. I need to keep that in mind as I write. The basic plot is similar to Lord of the Rings…it kinda centers around a young, “innocent” character that has a quest to complete, is surround by those older and wiser, but ultimately has to do it on their own. There’s also drawbacks, much like in LOTR, because the young character is being corrupted by the evil powers.

The way I said that made it sound just like Lord of the Rings, but it’s actually not, although there are similarities. But then, where would anyone be if we never got inspiration from people greater than us?😄

Thanks so much for the advice. I’ll try to keep those things in mind as I attempt this. Are there any books besides Chronicles of Narnia, the Hobbit, or Wizard of Oz that your sister recommends?

Live doing what you love. Die doing what you love. Do what you love for the Master.

imwritehere1920
        @imwritehere1920

@abigail-rebekah

Abigail Rebekah wrote: Wow…that was great advice. (You did a way better job than me)

Thanks.  I really liked your points too (I completely forgot about focusing on the genre you want to write in 🙂 )

Abigail Rebekah wrote: Oh cool, have you ever sold stories to children’s magazines before?

No, not yet.  I might have gotten side-tracked with novel writing 😉

Cool!  YWW sounds like fun (is it free, or do you sign up for a membership?)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

imwritehere1920
          @imwritehere1920

@arindown

Hey, no problem.  Again, I apologize if I gave too much info 🙂  Your YA books sounds really interesting (let me guess, you’re a LoTR fan?)  And that’s awesome that you get to tell stories to your younger siblings (how many do you have, if you don’t mind me asking?)

arindown wrote: How much is too violent? In the plan right now, I have one main figure dying at the end, but not too much else.

I’m hesitant to answer this question because it does walk a fine line.  Are you going into detail on how this person died?  Or are you mentioning it?  Does the protagonist witness the death, or do they receive the news from someone else?  And is this person that dies a really important Main Character?  It’s been my family’s experience that when a beloved character dies, it’s very heart-breaking, and it could be traumatic for younger kids who became attached.  If it’s a secondary character, it’s sad, but not really traumatic as there may be some emotional distance.  And if it’s an evil character, then there’s a sense of justice.  It’s up to you to decide, really.

arindown wrote:  As for swearing, I think that 99.9% of the time, it’s unneeded anyway, so I’m not going to even touch it…that is, unless a character has an exclamation of their own invention, but that’s not really counted as swearing.

Totally agree!  Have you ever read the Poppy books, by Avi?  He definitely invents ‘exclamations’ for one his characters.  It’s a perfect example of what you’re talking about.

arindown wrote: where would anyone be if we never got inspiration from people greater than us?

So true!

arindown wrote: Are there any books besides Chronicles of Narnia, the Hobbit, or Wizard of Oz that your sister recommends?

She says she mostly focuses on older MG.  But she thinks maybe the Penderwicks series?  Or Gooney Bird Greene by Lois Lowry might work (it’s not labeled ‘MG’, but it sounds close to the age-range you’re looking for.)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

imwritehere1920
            @imwritehere1920

@arindown

Sorry, I misunderstood my sister.  She thought I was talking about just MG, and not both MG and little kids.  The Penderwicks is an MG story; it just might be sad for younger kids because they talk about their mom who died of cancer.  After discussing it some more, the story Prince Martin Wins His Sword (by indie author Brandon Hale) might be a better fit for what you’re looking for.  Easy for middle-grade readers; and younger kids would love the storyline of virtue, honor, and friendship.  And it has adorable illustrations.  Hope that helps  🙂

Abigail Rebekah
              @abigail-rebekah

@arindown

Hey again!

Yes, I do go by Abby (I have several names/nicknames 😉 )

What’s your name? (Totally fine if you don’t want to answer 🙂 )

hanks for all the awesome advice! I really appreciate it.

You’re welcome 🙂

Well…it’s always hard to explain, but it’s about a wizard who is learning to face his past, how to love, and discover who he is becoming now. Funny thing, it’s a YA, but my main-character is in his 60’s (he’s a young wizard though).

Cool! That’s funny about your MC too xD

I’ve started writing one, and the other was a “series” that I told out-loud at bedtime to my brothers (ages 6 and 3). I’m currently doing NaNo with my novel, so I’m going to finish that before I take anything too seriously

Aw sweet (sounds like fun for your brothers). What is NaNo like? I think I’ve heard of it before but have never participated.

I was think a MG novel with lots of pictures. My sister is currently reading my little brothers through the whole Chronicles of Narnia, and they love them. I was thinking of doing the length of a novella (maybe around 20k words or something…if I can manage to be that short😁) with lots of illustrations.

That’s a great idea. Yes! the Chronicles of Narnia are a great series for younger readers (and older ones 😉 ). Lol…once you start writing, it can sometimes be very hard to stop, can’t it? xD And lots of illustrations sound really good btw.

How much action do you think is too much? Like, when does action turn into violence for kids?

That’s a good question. I think it’s great when you are able to write in such a way that you can imply things (so that older readers will understand and pick up on) but that young readers won’t notice or think about. I don’t think it’s a problem at all to have a good amount of action in a kids’ book, but I think you’d want to be careful that there isn’t too much that’s an edge-of-your-seat type of action or anything that might disturb young readers, if that makes sense. I think you can totally have a kids’ book with plenty of action in it, without having too much violence in there that they wouldn’t want to read. (Example: The man swung his arm around, smacking his opponent in the jaw. The guy sank down into the grass with a dull thud. – or – The man swung his arm around, smacking his opponent in the jaw. Crack. The distinct sound of something breaking could be heard above the man’s heavy breathing. Blood spattered the ground as the guy sank down into the grass with a dull thud.) Hopefully, there is a clear difference between the two. With the first one, you’re just telling what happened, but with the second, you’re describing the effect of the blow etc. Sorry if it’s too graphic xD

I hope that helps a little.

Thanks again for the advice. I’ll be sure to tag you if I post any part of my stories.

That’s alright…yay thanks.

@arindown
                @imwritehere1920

I’m hesitant to answer this question because it does walk a fine line.  Are you going into detail on how this person died?  Or are you mentioning it?  Does the protagonist witness the death, or do they receive the news from someone else?  And is this person that dies a really important Main Character?  It’s been my family’s experience that when a beloved character dies, it’s very heart-breaking, and it could be traumatic for younger kids who became attached.  If it’s a secondary character, it’s sad, but not really traumatic as there may be some emotional distance.  And if it’s an evil character, then there’s a sense of justice.  It’s up to you to decide, really.

I definitely second Lily on this (great points btw).

Just interested, how old are you both? (No worries if you don’t want to answer – totally understand 🙂 ) I’m fifteen (well, I’ll be sixteen in September, so not just yet 😉 )

@imwritehere1920

Thanks too.

No, not yet.  I might have gotten side-tracked with novel writing 😉

Lol…sounds like fun 😉

Cool!  YWW sounds like fun (is it free, or do you sign up for a membership?)

Yes, it is a lot of fun! You do have to pay for it, though. They only open up enrollment two or three times a year, I think.

~ Laugh. Drink Coffee. Smile. And Write ~

imwritehere1920
                @imwritehere1920

@abigail-rebekah

Hey, how’s it going?  Thanks, I liked your points too.  The illustrations helped to show your point 🙂

As for my age… it’s anywhere between 13 and 30 XD  Jk.  I like to keep it a mystery 😉  Anyway, Happy (really really early) Birthday!  (Just in case I forget to tell ya 🙂 )

Abigail Rebekah wrote:  Yes, it is a lot of fun! You do have to pay for it, though. They only open up enrollment two or three times a year, I think.

Cool.  Maybe next year I’ll check it out (Lord Willing!  I have to get through summer school first).

Btw, in your profile picture, did you do that hairstyle yourself?  It looks really pretty.

Abigail Rebekah
                  @abigail-rebekah

@imwritehere1920

Hey, how’s it going?  Thanks, I liked your points too.  The illustrations helped to show your point 🙂

Good thanks! I’m glad it helped show the point *phew* xD

As for my age… it’s anywhere between 13 and 30 XD  Jk.  I like to keep it a mystery 😉  Anyway, Happy (really really early) Birthday!  (Just in case I forget to tell ya 🙂 )

That’s all good. I totally understand 😊. Lol…thanks for the super early Happy Birthday 😉

Cool.  Maybe next year I’ll check it out (Lord Willing!  I have to get through summer school first).

Yes, you should! Are you homeschooled or do you go to school?
                    If you do end up joining YWWs, my name is Abby Baines on there (I kinda wished I’d kept it the same as on here). Then I can follow you 😉

Btw, in your profile picture, did you do that hairstyle yourself?  It looks really pretty.

Aw thanks! No, my older sister did it for me. I’m hopeless with doing my own hair…well, nearly hopeless 😅

Arindown
                    @arindown

@abigail-rebekah

Sorry it took me so long to answer.😄 My name is actually Grace.

What is NaNo like?

Well…it’s like making goals and kinda connecting with other writers. I’ve enjoyed it so far. I’m very much a free-spirit, write-when-insparation-strikes person, so it’s kinda helped me create good boundaries and get something done. I’m almost done with 10k words for July.

Thanks so much for the advice on actions scenes. I totally get what you mean. I need to keep that in mind as I write (not that I’m a very graphic writer anyway).

Just interested, how old are you both?

I’m 16. I really don’t want to get personal, but I’m a September baby too, and I was wondering, is your birthday nearer the beginning of Sep. or the end?😊

Also, I went and looked up YWW because you mentioned it, and it looks really cool. Funny thing, I was watching their promotional video, and I saw someone that I knew!😄

Arindown
                      @arindown

@imwritehere1920

Thanks for all the awesome advice! And please thank your sister for me. I’ve heard of some of the books she’s suggested, but not all of them.

imwritehere1920
                        @imwritehere1920

@abigail-rebekah

My family homeschools; how about you?

And yes, if I do get onto YWW, I will look for you 😉

Cool, your sister did a great job! (My hair is too straight to do much with XD)

@arindown

arindown wrote: I’m almost done with 10k words for July.

Congratulations!  That’s a lot!

No problem, I’m glad it was helpful.  I’ll definitely tell my sister thanks.

And Happy (very very early) Birthday to you too!

As a side note, I tend to get passionate when it concerns writing, so if I overstep a boundary, please feel free to tell me so.  🙂

Good luck with your writing!

Abigail Rebekah
                          @abigail-rebekah

@arindown @imwritehere1920

Just wanted to let you both know that YWWs is hosting their second Crazy Writing Week event. It’s free and allows you to experience what YWW is like (well, at least experience a lot of it 😉 ). I so enjoyed it last time. Here is the link to it just if you’re interested – https://crazywritingweek.com/.

If you do happen to join, my tag will be Abigail-Rebekah btw.

@arindown

Sorry it took me so long to answer.😄 My name is actually Grace.

You’re all good 🙂 That’s a pretty name!

Well…it’s like making goals and kinda connecting with other writers. I’ve enjoyed it so far. I’m very much a free-spirit, write-when-insparation-strikes person, so it’s kinda helped me create good boundaries and get something done. I’m almost done with 10k words for July.

Oh, that sounds cool. That’s good that you’ve found it helpful. Congrats about your word count – that’s fab!

Thanks so much for the advice on actions scenes. I totally get what you mean. I need to keep that in mind as I write (not that I’m a very graphic writer anyway).

You’re welcome…I’m glad it made sense.

I’m 16. I really don’t want to get personal, but I’m a September baby too, and I was wondering, is your birthday nearer the beginning of Sep. or the end?😊

Oh cool…I don’t mind. My birthday is the 6th of September. When is yours? (No problem if you don’t want to be specific xD)

Also, I went and looked up YWW because you mentioned it, and it looks really cool. Funny thing, I was watching their promotional video, and I saw someone that I knew!😄

Nice…It is super cool. Lol, that is funny 😉

@imwritehere1920

My family homeschools; how about you?

My family homeschools too xD

Cool, your sister did a great job! (My hair is too straight to do much with XD)

Yeah, she’s really good with hair. My hair is really straight too – it can be annoying sometimes cus if I want my hair curled, it will only really stay in if hair spray has been put on xD

imwritehere1920
                            @imwritehere1920

@abigail-rebekah

Thanks for the link!

That’s cool that you homeschool too.  And I have used hairspray to keep my hair in curls too XD (unfortunately, my hair has a mind of it’s own 😉 )

Abigail Rebekah
                              @abigail-rebekah

@imwritehere1920

You’re welcome 🙂

And I have used hairspray to keep my hair in curls too XD (unfortunately, my hair has a mind of it’s own 😉

Lol…it can be annoying sometimes but also nice having straight hair (even if it likes to do things its own way 😉 )

Viewing 14 posts - 31 through 44 (of 44 total)
                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                              Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest