Romance Writers

Tragic love story (with hints of fantasy)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Esther Sears
    @esther-sears

Hey all! I’m really struggling to find beta readers at the moment 🙁 I have a short story that needs some critique. Would anyone be interested in reading it for me? It’s about 8000 words, a bittersweet story about two boys and a girl in a small fishing village set in a fantasy world ^_^

Let me know and I’ll post the google doc!! 😀 😀

~Esther

Lover of Christ, writer (obviously...), fangirl, and a proud Meerkat!

Vivian Grant
    @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

Hello! My name is Vivian. I joined this group a couple days ago. I would be willing to beta-read your story! 🙂

Esther Sears
      @esther-sears

@vivian-grant Yaaaayyy!!! Thank you so much! 😀 Now, it is more or less a tragic love story, so as long as you’re prepared for that… 😉

Here’s the Google Doc!

~Esther

Vivian Grant
      @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

You’re welcome! What do you want me to take note of– character development, plotting, both? I was born for tragedy. 😉

Esther Sears
        @esther-sears

@vivian-grant If you can pay special attention to setting, and the girl character (Moira), that would be super helpful!! Although anything you notice and can give me feedback on is great 🙂

~Esther

Vivian Grant
        @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

I just finished it. I am rather blown away. The ending was immensely powerful, and well-delivered. Sylas’s descent into maddening jealousy was satisfying, and didn’t feel contrived. I don’t see any blaringly obvious problem with Moira. Early on, it was a 50-50 percent chance that she would go either way, but as Sylas became increasingly jealous it was understandable how it pushed her even further towards Bjorn. Really quick, is the German in me correct in pronouncing Bjorn’s name ‘Byorn’? I have a character named Jaran, and it was more natural to me to pronounce it ‘Yaran’.

A thought occured to me halfway through the story– why would there be pirate ship(s) in a fishing village? If it’s because an inconspicuous fishing village is a good place for pirates to hang out before heading back out to sea, then maybe you could mention that in the parts between Sylas and Robbin. Mentioning it just once in the narration or dialogue would help flesh the culture/world out a bit.

Other than that, I noticed a couple grammer/sentence structure hiccups, but that’s pretty minor. Your story is compelling and tragic (in a satisfying way :P).

Esther Sears
          @esther-sears

@vivian-grant Thank you sooo much!! It means so much to hear you say that ^_^ I’m glad to hear you didn’t know what was going to happen right away 🙂

Yes, you are pronouncing Bjorn correctly 😉

That’s a very good point about the ships! Thanks 🙂

Would you mind commenting on the grammer mistakes in the document? I definitely want to get those out of there!

~Esther

Vivian Grant
          @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

You’re welcome! This was a neat brain challenge, and fun besides.

1. There’s the sentence near the beginning ‘As Bjorn and I walked up, I could see that the house was two stories, one of the only ones in the village.’ It’s a little choppy, and it interrupted the flow of the narration. Possible change: ‘As Bjorn and I walked up, I could see that the house was one of the only buildings in the village with two stories’.

2. Children ran about, a baby was crying while *its’ mother offered gentle words to calm *him. *its (possessive) *if you’re trying to establish that the baby’s a ‘him’, then the pronouns should be the same for consistency (his mother/calm him or its mother/calm it)

3. After Sylas leaves the house and Bjorn goes after him, there is no enter and tab in between the two sentences, “What?” “There was joy and happiness in your house. An intoxicating amount. I haven’t had that in a very long time.”

4.     ‘I was no weakling, but Bjorn was slightly taller and sturdier built than I was. But he had no weapon.’ The two sentences keep bouncing between negatives. Possible change: ‘Bjorn was slightly taller and sturdier built than I was, but he had no weapon, and I was no weakling’.

5. ‘A tear was in his eye, *his muscled* in his arms tensed as he held the sword with both hands’. *the muscles*?

6. ‘You will have to continue to keep my locked up forever…’ The phrasing is awkward, and since it’s an emotional scene, it’s more likely that she’ll keep her words short and simple. Possible change: ‘You will have to keep me locked up forever’

7.     ‘Why hadn’t I listened to my *conscious?’ *Conscience

Again, well done.

Vivian Grant
            @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

I was wondering something. I recently posted the first half of a short story of mine, and though someone read it I was wondering if you would also like to beta-read it before I post the second half?

Esther Sears
              @esther-sears

@vivian-grant Those are sooooo helpful, I appreciate it so much!!

I’d love to read your story! What’s it about?

~Esther

Vivian Grant
              @vivian-grant

@esther-sears

Thank you! It’s a fantasy about a young prison guard and a magic user commissioned to guard a witch.

Here is the link to the page:

And so it begins!

Esther Sears
                @esther-sears

@vivian-grant It already sounds super cool!! 😀 I’m excited to read it!

~Esther

Emberynus The Dragonslayer
                @emberynus-the-dragonslayer

@esther-sears

That was so powerful! All most brought me to tears(and I never cry over book)!! So sad and so meaningful! I love it!

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Vivian Grant
                @vivian-grant

I agree!

• This reply was modified 1 week, 6 days ago by Vivian Grant.
                  Emberynus The Dragonslayer

@vivian-grant

Ikr? It’s so beautiful!! Your story sounds interesting as well.

Are you new in Story Embers?

Sleep doesn't help if it's your soul that's tired.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest