Romance Writers

How sensible and biblical is romance?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Ari Austin
    @amaustin

I’m 100% a romantic, there is nothing that melts my heart faster. But, that being said, how much room does the Bible leave for romance? What is taking it too far, and what is biblical?

Right is right though all condemn, and wrong is wrong though all approve.

Arindown
      @arindown

@amaustin

I think the Bible leaves a lot of room for romance…within certain boundaries. I wouldn’t base my romances off  many biblical characters for obvious reasons (David, Abraham, Esther, etc.), but I think there are some examples, in the Bible, of what Biblical romance is. Ruth and Boaz are the best example, I believe, but there’s references to others…Michal fell in love with David, Isaac loved Rebecca, Song of Solomon (which I would be careful with, because it gets a little too “lovey” for me at points), etc.

For me, I think the furthest expression of love I would allow before characters get married is maybe a kiss. That’s where I draw the line, and I believe it parallels the Bible’s principles.

One of the mottos I live by is, “It’s not what you write, but how you write it.” I think writing romance follows this. The best romances aren’t about what a character does (they don’t even have to kiss, for example), but how you make them fall in love. I really like the romance in Little WomenRifles for Waite (by Harold Keith), and even <i>Wingfeather Saga (</i>the grown-up romance is what I’m referring too…I’m still not sold on Leeli and Thorn😂<i>) </i>. They’re all really sweet, but all of them fall within Biblical boundaries for lovers before marriage.

Hope that helps a little. I’m a hopeless romantic too, and I’ve thought quite a bit about all this stuff.😄

Forgiven. Loved. Creative.

Ari Austin
        @amaustin

That makes a lot of sense. Most of the people in the Bible are certainly not what I would refer to as romantics (not sure about Solomon. Maybe he’s a romantic, but not a great one) but you do make the excellent point that there is at least something to build on.

I, personally, don’t have my characters that start out Christian go any further than a kiss, and mostly just don’t go into any sort of detail at all ever no matter what relationship they are in. Most of my characters start out Christian. My main romantic couple is married, and I think I have a whole two kisses in the entire book. But, is it possible to insinuate too much? Or what is taking it too far? By this I mean, is it weird (or too far I guess) to have the girl wear the guy’s clothes after he has died because they have his scent? And by clothes, I mean a sweatshirt. Not that I have a very specific instance in mind or anything. :]

I love how the ladies in Little Women fall in love! It’s so… proper. I think it’s not something we get to see very much anymore. And Rifles for Watie is such a good book! So, so good. I love both of those books. Something I am now considering as I write this that I hadn’t thought of before is how little the books are actually about love, while having everyone fall in love. I mean, Little Women has a lot to say about love, but I would say it is not intended to be a romance novel. Maybe I should consider writing not a romance, but a novel with romance. hmm…

I have not read the Wingfeather Saga yet, but I hope to soon. It’s on my list. Has been for a while. Now when I read them, I will probably look at them through an author’s eye, looking for things to help me with this dilemma. :)\

Yes, what you said is very helpful! Thank you so much!

Laur_M
          @laur_m

I think I shall need to invite you two to have a look at my NaNoWriMo project, or the romantic pieces of it at least,  when I get far enough.

My MC, as all MCs must, has a big lesson to learn, and part of the lesson involves how she approaches romance. She is a Christian but, like all Christians, she is a work in progress. She falls, she gets up (eventually).

I guess whether a character who starts out as a unmarried Christian ever goes beyond a kiss, might depend on how you define “Christian”.

Perfect people need not apply (sorry Mary Poppins).

God bless.

@Laur_M

Arindown
            @arindown

@amaustin

I think it is possible to insinuate too much. When I’m afraid of crossing a “line” and being inappropriate or insinuating, I question whether I would let my parents (they’re always helpful when you’ve gone too far) or one of my younger sisters read it. If not, maybe I need to adjust something.

I love the idea of having the main romance between a married couple!😍 Have you ever read the Scarlet Pimpernel? And, no, I don’t think having the wife wear her husband’s sweatshirt is weird at all. I once heard that Billy Graham’s wife used to do that when he was on trips.

I think most of my stories with romance have a different plot, with romance to help build either characters, or plot.

@laur_m

Totally tag me over on NaNo. I go by Arindown there too…so I hope I’m not too hard to find.

Ari Austin
              @amaustin

@Laur_M

I would love to look at your NaNoWriMo! I’m sure it will be amazing!

I think some Christians do have different standards, but I guess for me, I wouldn’t even have them kiss before marriage. That’s just personal though, I think it really does depend on the person and what they are comfortable with. Only up to a point though, because the Bible does address certain things. Although everyone certainly fails somewhere. It’s so cool that you are tackling that issue!

@arindown

That’s a really good test of whether it is too far or not! I shall use it.

So, I feel like I should explain my plot a little bit. There’s this girl who’s fiance dies. Through a series of events, she is forced to marry a man she doesn’t love. Most of the book is spent having her struggle with grief and trusting God in all circumstances. She wears her fiance’s sweatshirt at several different points in the book after he has died, but I have yet to decide whether or not it’s also while she’s married to the other guy. 99% of the romance is between her and her husband, just learning how to love again, or deciding if she can love again. (the poor girl can never really catch a break)

I love the Scarlet Pimpernel so much!!! That book was the one that kinda paved the way for me to be a hopeless romantic, or at least showed me I was. Love that book! 🙂

I would say my book has a plot, really quite a bit, but the plot exists for there to be romance, not a plot that allows for romance. Perhaps I should spend more time trying to develop the plot and characters than the romance. I am learning so much from being here. It is so cool!

Arindown
                @arindown

@amaustin

Hey, I like your plot. Sounds like something I would like reading.😊 I would say spending time to develop the plot and characters would be a great idea, whether or not it’s a total romance. The deeper the characters, the better the relationships will be.

I hope this isn’t too personal, but is your name actually Ari? I LOVE that name.😍 Actually…one of my main characters marries a girl named Ari, but I didn’t know if it was a  “real” name.

Ari Austin
                  @amaustin

@arindown

Yeah, developing the plot is always a good idea… just not as fun as romance. :] If I ever finish the third draft that I’m working on of my book (somehow no one told me that books take so much work when I started. Although, I didn’t exactly know anyone who wrote when I started, nor did I tell anyone when I started, it just kind of happened… :}) I would love to let you read it!

It’s not too personal at all! It is not… My name is Arwen. Ari is the only nickname I’ve ever been given by anyone and I fell in love with it too. According to my baby-naming book that I use for naming my characters when I need generic names and my brain is like ‘nope! not today!’ Ari is a real name. It says:

Ari

(Hebrew) short for Ariel; lioness

Aree, Arey, Arie, Ary

I’m not at all sure that means it’s a real name though, because it has some very fake names in there. I guess you run out at some point though when compiling more than 50,000 of them. (I’m biased against this book though [even though I continue to use] because it only has ‘Arwen’ as a boys’ name so…)

I have to ask, how do you pronounce your username? I keep pronouncing it as something like ‘are-in-down’, but is it more like ‘ari-n-down’?

Arindown
                    @arindown

@amaustin Oh, I love your name!😍 Do you pronounce it like Arwen Evenstar from Lord of the Rings?

Baby books can be great…but sometimes they have weird meanings for great names. Do you ever make up meanings for names you invented? I want to sometime.

I usually say my name Air-n-down, but I’m not picky (actually, I say it Are-in-down half the time on accident). I try not to be too particular with names.

I have a question for you. How would you pronounce the name Kyerin, if you saw it in a book? I’m just wondering, because I changed the spelling, and I want to know if most people would see it like I do.

It’s nice meeting you!

Ari Austin
                      @amaustin

@arindown

I do pronounce it like from the Lord of the Rings! That’s actually who my parents named me after. 🙂

Baby naming books are full of weird things. They are helpful for finding normal names that my brain won’t come up with alone though.

I am not smart enough to create my own names. I mostly write in the “present-day America”, so I haven’t really needed them. I think it would be tons of fun though! I just need to come up with a story set in a time and place where I could. hmm… Do you think I could away with inventing a name for characters set in a sci-fi-ish story set about ten years in the future from now, pretty much like current-day America, except, you know, the stuff I change to make a plot? probably not…

Okay, that’s a nice way to pronounce your username. 🙂

When I read ‘Kyerin’ for the first time, I pronounced it as “Karen”, but depending on the setting I might immediately see (or just because of the way it is spelled) I might pronounce it as “K-eye-rin”. Except the ‘k’ is part of the first syllable. (clearly, I am bad at spelling out how to pronounce things.) I am not most people though and tend to see things from a very different perspective somehow, so I might not be the best candidate for testing things on, or at least not your only opinion. I do love to do proofread or test things! Just want to admit my deficiencies.

It’s nice to meet you too!

I have a semi-complicated question. More like, I have to explain some stuff before asking the question.

If there are three characters, a guy, a girl, and one that could be either but I haven’t decided yet, should I make the undecided a guy or girl? The undecided is cousins with the girl, and the girl falls in love with the guy. Also, the undecided is a criminal defense lawyer. Not sure how important that part is. :/ Anway, if, through a series of events, the trio ends up captured by bad guys, and to make it more real, aren’t going to all make it out alive because they are all accidental heroes and have no real training in any way, and in real life absolutely won’t make it out alive, what would be most tragic? (assuming the undecided is a guy) Would it be worse for only the girl to make it out, both guys sacrificing themselves to get her out? Or, would it be worse for both guys to make it out and her not? Provided they did absolutely everything they could for her.

Sorry that was like three questions.

Zee
                        @zee

I have to say, the way you worded your post title question made me smile. Is romance ever…sensible?

Ari Austin
                          @amaustin

Your question made me laugh. Is it ever sensible? Probably not… Unless you are using it to woo someone. I think it’s sensible for a guy to use a bit of romance when proposing, otherwise, the girl might just say no. (depending on the girl I suppose) But in most cases, it’s probably likely to set your heart way ahead of your head. I guess, as I type this, I just realized I think you use your head to be sensible, and your heart to be romantic. (ish. romance has to be planned somewhere) So it is technically almost impossible to be sensible with romance. Hmm…

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Pin It on Pinterest