fb

Poets

This is totally about poetry

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • Author
    Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

they’re…not getting on at all. Quin is walking straight into a trap with his eyes open and Qatar is in prison–they’d be at each other’s throats if they were together, though.

Oh noooo!!! QATAR WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?! Poor Quin, someone help him out! Oh, yikes, but… glorious drama 😈😈 That sounds so fun to write!

Is Aydin still suffering from PTSD? Or is it getting better?

Ehhh, it’s worse XD Or, well, it’s the same but I shoved him into a situation where he can’t ignore his trauma and constantly has to face it and he isn’t handling it well at all.

I honestly feel quite sorry for him. Even though this is the safest he’s been so far throughout the entire series, he’s not coping with it well XD It’s fun to write but I really want to hug him XD (He’d hate it if I tried but still XD)

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

Oh noooo!!! QATAR WHAT DID YOU DO!?!?! Poor Quin, someone help him out! Oh, yikes, but… glorious drama 😈😈 That sounds so fun to write!

VERY fun! Especially because the supporting characters (Quin is with Hakan and Qatar is with Lanian) are soooo fun to write.

Ehhh, it’s worse XD Or, well, it’s the same but I shoved him into a situation where he can’t ignore his trauma and constantly has to face it and he isn’t handling it well at all. I honestly feel quite sorry for him. Even though this is the safest he’s been so far throughout the entire series, he’s not coping with it well XD It’s fun to write but I really want to hug him XD (He’d hate it if I tried but still XD)

🙁 Poor guy. Girl, how much trauma will you be putting your readers through?! Are there other characters from the other books (besides Liorah, of course) that are in the one  you’re writing now?

Your life is not your own so keep your hands off it. ~Sherlock Holmes

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

VERY fun! Especially because the supporting characters (Quin is with Hakan and Qatar is with Lanian) are soooo fun to write.

NO WAY YOU HAVE A CHARACTER NAMED HAKAN TOO!?!? That’s hilarious XD I love it!

Poor guy. Girl, how much trauma will you be putting your readers through?!

Ooohhh, lots and lots 😈😈 I can’t wait to write the low point, that’s always my favorite. It’s going to be chaos. *Manical laughter in distance* Every time I get discouraged about my writing I imagine the sheer suffering I’ll get to put my readers through in the climax and it’s all worth it XD

Are there other characters from the other books (besides Liorah, of course) that are in the one  you’re writing now?

Yep! Sahar is there, she’s just having fun on the side and shipping Ferran and Liorah, who are making it unbearably awkward each time they’re in a room together XD (They both realized they’re a little too deeply in love and they’re both dealing with it in their respective unproductive ways XD)

Faye is there too, she’s had her character development, now she just gets to chill as a side character instead of being traumatized with the others. It’s fun to see her just living her best life off on the side while the others are angsting XD She’s actually pretty instrumental in Aydin’s character development, which is cool to watch!

Liorah’s family was in the first few chapters too, and all the villains are going to pop back up and make life a nightmare XD (Including Aydin’s father 😈) So, most characters are there, plus one or two new side characters!

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

NO WAY YOU HAVE A CHARACTER NAMED HAKAN TOO!?!? That’s hilarious XD I love it!

Wha-hat?? We both have the same name in our stories???!!! What does your Hakan look like? Who is he, what’s he do? (I assume it’s a he, lol).

Ooohhh, lots and lots 😈😈 I can’t wait to write the low point, that’s always my favorite. It’s going to be chaos. *Manical laughter in distance* Every time I get discouraged about my writing I imagine the sheer suffering I’ll get to put my readers through in the climax and it’s all worth it XD

…wow. Trauma is cool, but I never admit it to myself.

Yep!

Ooh, that sounds lovely. And Liorah in love? Hm. that oughta be interesting!

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Wha-hat?? We both have the same name in our stories???!!! What does your Hakan look like? Who is he, what’s he do? (I assume it’s a he, lol).

LOL, he’s the main villain XD He’s honestly terrifying, though he’s very charming on the surface. I named him Hakan as a pun because it means king and he is a king so I called him King King XD I pull a moon moon on my characters whenever possible XD

What’s yours like?

…wow. Trauma is cool, but I never admit it to myself.

Only in books XD It’s very cathardic to suffer over books, it’s a distraction from suffering in real life! 😀

Ooh, that sounds lovely. And Liorah in love? Hm. that oughta be interesting!

Oohh, she’s not doing well XD She accidentally insults him every other page because she’s trying to hide her feelings so hard. She spends the entire time going “No, this can’t be happening!! Not me, not him, not now!!?? Digest those butterflies!”

It’s both adorable, hilarious, and just a little sad to read. I’m having the best time with it. I’ve never enjoyed reading romance but writing it is a whole lot more fun XD

Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

@rose-colored-fancy

What’s yours like?

that’s cool. What does he look like? Interestingly enough, they’re a bit similar. My Hakan is an outlaw (leader of the pack). He’s the nicest of them, but he still steals things in one country and sells them in another. He’s a perfect dichotomy of trustworthy and backstabber. Oh, did I mention that he and Quin’s younger sister are falling hopelessly in love?

He’s tall, of medium to light build, with long blond hair and pale eyes. (If pale eyes are a thing…)

Only in books XD

Yes. Yes yes. Suffer often in books. Have you read A Tale of Two Cities? I know I mentioned it earlier…I mention it often, it’s my favorite. I read it for the first time this year, and then read it again a month later, lol.

She spends the entire time going “No, this can’t be happening!! Not me, not him, not now!!?? Digest those butterflies!”

Oh, poor Ferran! Eh, he’ll survive. How does he react to romance?

I like romance. period. (okay, there are qualifications, but a leetle bit of romance can go a long way with me. <3)

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@emily-waldorf

Oohh, your Hakan sounds facinating! Seeing him interact with Quin would be so interesting!

that’s cool. What does he look like?

Not like yours XD Dark hair, really tall, light blue eyes. He usually seems pretty nice until he kicks into villain mode for any reason, then he’s horrifying. He’s perfectly willing to resort to violence, though he always tries manipulation first.

Have you read A Tale of Two Cities? I know I mentioned it earlier…I mention it often, it’s my favorite. I read it for the first time this year, and then read it again a month later, lol.

I’ve listened to it twice! I quite liked it! It’s not my favorite by Dickens but it was cool and the characters were really interesting! What’s your favorite thing about it?

Oh, poor Ferran! Eh, he’ll survive. How does he react to romance?

Not much better XD It’s mostly from Liorah’s perspective so she doesn’t notice anything because she’s blindingly oblivious, but from anyone else’s perspective they can instantly tell they’re both very much in love.

But the bits I wrote from his POV, well, yikes. In his narration, he mentioned Liorah (Who wasn’t in the scene) more than the characters who actually were in the scene XD

Ferran tries to hide it and definitely won’t act on it (because of character reasons) but as soon as he realizes Liorah is interested too he tries to hide it even more because he thinks that they can’t have a future and Liorah deserves better anyway.

He fell in love first but he also saw that it would never work out so he’s just been suffering in silence about it.

I really have fun with the “impossible love” aspect of it XD

I like romance. period. (okay, there are qualifications, but a leetle bit of romance can go a long way with me. <3)

That’s awesome! I just generally struggle to connect with romance, be it in movies, books or any other media.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Also, I don’t have to listen to someone who replies to things during class and doesn’t pay attention. *Evil grin*

Hey now, I have good excuses.

Don’t make this a race, I warned you I’m competitive XD

You started it. 😄

The top score in our team was somewhere around 61k words in one week which is pure insanity.

One person wrote over 60k in one week? For real?

Noah, my friend, what the (I cannot stress this enough) heckers? That’s both impressive and horrifying.

After 4k my brain feels like imploding, I have no idea how you manage it!

It definitely fries the brain, but one gets up early it’s not as bad as you’d think. 🙃

I’m still not sure about how I’ll do the embroidery but I know it’s going to be a ton of work

As I am someone who has never sewn or done really anything with fabric ever, I can agree whole heartedly with that statement. xD

On a completely different note, have you watched the Chosen yet? If not, do look into it, it was incredibly good! One of their spiritual advisors is Messianic as well and you could really tell and it made me irrationally happy

I have. Season 1 was phenomenal. I loved seeing all the disciples’ lives and struggles. Season 2 was also good, but I did have a couple problems with the way they portrayed Jesus. Otherwise, though, it was fantastic.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

Hey now, I have good excuses.

Ha, excuses, excuses XD

You started it.

Quote me correctly, sir, I was competing against myself. You made it a race XD

One person wrote over 60k in one week? For real?

I wish that was an exaggeration, but there’s no way to fake the sprints and I know how carefully they check it. It’s legit XD

I don’t know who they are but I’m terrified.

It definitely fries the brain, but one gets up early it’s not as bad as you’d think.

Disgrace, abomination, unspeakable unspeakabilities.

As I am someone who has never sewn or done really anything with fabric ever, I can agree whole heartedly with that statement. xD

LOL, the embroidery will be the easy part XD That just takes patience. Lots of it XD

I have. Season 1 was phenomenal. I loved seeing all the disciples’ lives and struggles. Season 2 was also good, but I did have a couple problems with the way they portrayed Jesus. Otherwise, though, it was fantastic.

I loved that about it too! Every other movie of Jesus’ life that I’ve seen was just repeating bare facts without giving you any new perspectives. I liked that the disciples actually had personalities and were actual people who clashed and argued and didn’t even particularly like each other most of the time. It had a realism that most movies don’t have.

I think something else that I’ve never seen before are just the little details like all the characters wearing tzit-tzit (Tassels at the corners of their clothes. It’s in every scene and it’s awesome because they’re actually blue and not white! You’d be shocked how many shows got that wrong) and things like how in the first season Peter mentions how he’s allowed to go out on the Shabbat because it’s a situation that places his life in danger. Most shows wouldn’t have explained that and just done it without hesitation even though that would be a deliberate sin that Peter wouldn’t have done.

Also, the Sukkot episode was perfectly executed and just generally made me so happy! There’s so much stuff I loved about the show in general, I can’t wait for the next season!

Season 2 was also good, but I did have a couple problems with the way they portrayed Jesus.

Was there anything specific? I’d love to hear about it!

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

I wish that was an exaggeration, but there’s no way to fake the sprints and I know how carefully they check it. It’s legit

That’s just…madness. xD

I think something else that I’ve never seen before are just the little details like all the characters wearing tzit-tzit

That’s the kinda stuff that I have a hard time finding out if they kept through the middle ages. For the most part, I think the average Jew did not (usually due to assimilation), but it’s difficult to find out for sure.

Was there anything specific? I’d love to hear about it!

I won’t go into it much (theology talk and all 🙂 ),  but it had to do with several scenes where Jesus ‘practiced’ his sermons and seemed to be struggling with the tasks he had to do (there was also one where it seemed that he was trying to persuade John the Baptist not to berate Herod, which I thought was unnecessary fictionalization and could be taken badly).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

That’s just…madness. xD

The only correct word for it XD

That’s the kinda stuff that I have a hard time finding out if they kept through the middle ages. For the most part, I think the average Jew did not (usually due to assimilation), but it’s difficult to find out for sure.

Whoa, hold on. I’m going to contradict you on this one 🙂

I don’t have any specific sources for how it would have worked in the middle ages, but there’s an important destinction that makes me think that they would have worn it.

Tzit-tzit aren’t tradition or custom or culture, they’re a commandment. (Num 15:37-41 and Deut 22:12)

Despite assimilation, Jews were still keeping commandments and living under the law, they would consider it a sin not to wear tzitzit.

(Besides that, since this is after the codifying of the Talmud, they would be tied in the traditional way already.)

This would technically be more strict than something like women covering their hair, since it’s not open for interpretation.

Because it’s a given commandment, I also wear them, actually.

Okay, thank you for coming to my Ted-talk XD

I won’t go into it much (theology talk and all   ),  but it had to do with several scenes where Jesus ‘practiced’ his sermons and seemed to be struggling with the tasks he had to do (there was also one where it seemed that he was trying to persuade John the Baptist not to berate Herod, which I thought was unnecessary fictionalization and could be taken badly).

That’s an interesting observation! I noticed it as well. I think it was a choice, and I can see why they made it and don’t have any biblical evidence to contradict them.

It basically comes into trying to show Jesus’ divinity and humanity at the same time, showing him to be fully human and fully God at the same time. It’s a hard balance, and I like the way they did it, but I can see why you might not. I do see what you mean.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Whoa, hold on. I’m going to contradict you on this one

Interesting, I didn’t consider the law factor, that’s a good point.

I would argue, though, that the way these laws were obeyed varied (such as some only using tassels during prayer–as I read somewhere),  and were stricter or took too far in different times (such as the Pharisees literally tying phylacteries to their foreheads).

I haven’t researched this much though, and obviously you know a lot more about it, so I’ll have to look into it (as I said, I have a Jewish character, and I have not been having him wear tassels, so I’ll have to consider it).

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

I would argue, though, that the way these laws were obeyed varied (such as some only using tassels during prayer–as I read somewhere),  and were stricter or took too far in different times (such as the Pharisees literally tying phylacteries to their foreheads).

You have a point. Observance varied from stricter to less strict, but even in the least strict situations, tzit-tzit would have been worn. There was barely any discussion about whether tzit-tzit should be worn or not, that was a given. The differences came in about the length, the color, the amount of strands, which garments it should be worn on, whether women should wear it, so on and so forth.

You did make one mistake, the “only wearing tassels during prayer” actually means only wearing a tallit during prayer. Tzit-tzit and tallit are not interchangable. Tzit-tzit are worn on regular clothing while tallit is a seperate garment worn only for prayer. (which does also have tzit-tzit)

(Don’t let the Chosen tell you different with the pharisees wearing their tallit all over creation, that was inaccurate.)

I can see where the confusion came in, because there’s a more modern tradition to wear an undergarment also called a tallit. I suppose that was to dodge the “should you wear tzit-tzit if your clothing doesn’t have four corners” by just adding a garment that does have four corners.

I don’t know when this started, but by what I found it’s after the middle ages because there’s documentation that specifies which garments it should be worn on in the Talmud so I’m assuming that didn’t exist yet.

Here’s a link to the document I used for the research. You don’t have to read the entire thing (It’s long, very particular and extremely boring) but if you need to figure something out you can extrapolate from there.

Tractate Tzitzit

Even if your character isn’t very observant, it would still be a given unless he had completely rejected judaism.

Yeah, tefillin is a bit more of a gray area, though it was commonly used in that time. The “Is Deut 6:6-8 literal or metaphorical” is still a commonly debated question among Messianics though most think it’s metaphorical for actions and thoughts.

Actually, making your character wear tzit-tzit has quite a few literary perks. (Most of my characters do and I have a good bit of fun with it)

A subtle way to mention it is by making it a character quirk to touch or hold them when they’re nervous, kind of how Joelle grabs her skirts when she’s nervous. It’s something I tend to do as well and so do my characters XD

You can also make it something that when the character is facing a moral struggle they unconciously touch it, it might be something they picked up because that’s what tzit-tzit are for, they’re a reminder of God’s presence.

(You can even make it a symbol that way, but making everything a symbol is one of my literary quirks so take that as you will XD)

If you need other characters to identify that character as Jewish, that’s a really easy way to do it since it’s always worn (usually visibly) and it’s very distinct. And on the contrary, when the character is trying to hide it for safety they might pin them up or wear them inside their clothes instead of on the bottom.

Basically, you can use it in a lot of ways! Honestly, even one passing mention would be more than enough. It’s one of those little things so many authors forget and even the fact that you knew what tzit-tzit were when I mentioned it is a lot better than most authors.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@rose-colored-fancy

Actually, making your character wear tzit-tzit has quite a few literary perks.

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely agree with you (and I do remember Liorah tugging on her tassels in the character castle several months ago I believe). I was already kinda feeling like my Jewish character didn’t feel that Jewish, so something like this would help.

Everything you said makes sense, so good points.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@noah-cochran

The more I think about it, the more I absolutely agree with you (and I do remember Liorah tugging on her tassels in the character castle several months ago I believe)

You remember correctly! She does that a lot, and so does her brother.

I was already kinda feeling like my Jewish character didn’t feel that Jewish, so something like this would help.

It will! And once I beta-read I’ll totally help you out with that if you’re still having trouble with it! 🙂 This is almost as much fun as discussing sword-fighting XD

Everything you said makes sense, so good points.

Happy to help! Please do ask if you run into anything like that again, I really enjoy discussing it XD

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 81 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest