fb

Fantasy Writers

Villains’ Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 221 total)
  • Author
    Erynne
    @erynne

@skylarynn

Ok cool! I like that drawing!

@hannahrenner
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Are you two related? 😂

Also, @hannahrenner, I like that Deadly Labyrinth idea. The only problem is, none of my villains are very well constructed because most of them are only in my story for a couple chapters then you barely hear of them again. Because of that, I don’t know that I would want to rotate through them, and the villains (besides the pirates) are my least favorite characters out of my story XD. Unless I’m allowed to just create a random character right here and now, I guess I’ll continue using Dominic since he’s the only one that even has a backstory, lol.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 2 weeks ago by Erynne.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@erynne @this-is-not-an-alien @hannahrenner

So…are more villains gonna show up, or will Karayan and Þorunn gonna continue to awkwardly stare at each other?

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Erynne
    @erynne

@skylarynn

Dominic is my only well constructed villain, so should I just continue with him or could I invent a character?

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@erynne
    I’m fine with you starting with someone new if you want.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Erynne
    @erynne

@skylarynn

Ok cool! I’ll try to get that going today but I don’t know if I will or not… I’m actually kind of busy today. That’s a very rare occasion XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

You inherited pyromania and chaotic stupid from both parents and their parents and – in all likelihood – their parents. I have nothing to do with those traits because I have the braincell in this family.

WHOOPS dropped your braincell!!! 😀

To literally everyone else in this castle: If we are going to be rotating characters, maybe we should have a “In light of actually meeting [crazy character in question’s name], I – Castle Oaken Door – UN-CHOSE THEM.” [zaps them back to wherever they came from]

Lol like “in light of *existing* I…should probably blow something up…”

I’m going to look at the character bio-questions people are using (squints at @this-is-not-an-alien ) and see if I can’t SHOW it.

*decides to look like an innocent angel (because of course I totally am)*

Are you two related?

Lol yes, she’s my big sister <3.

So…are more villains gonna show up, or will Karayan and Þorunn gonna continue to awkwardly stare at each other?

Lol, yea. I can’t decide between Meira and Connel cos Meira’s a (really cuuute) fairly important character who does need more development especially linguistically and culturally, but she’s definitely a hero even if she doesn’t want to admit it. So I guess probably Connel cos he’s a villain but also a bit of an anti-hero so he’s gotta a lot more interesting character than a solid villain or hero and gets a lot of book scene-time. So I better pick one, which do you think?

Þorunn looks really cool @skylarynn! She and Karayan will be soo fun to interact with!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@this-is-not-an-alien

You said you might bring in 2 characters, go ahead and use both of them

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

Grimme glared down at the currently-only-other-occupant in the room.  Her eyes flashed electric blue.  “Hm.  Dr. Dominic.  Would-be assassin.  Miserable failure.”

“I’m done.” she plopped down on her butt, gingerly kicking the man with her boot.  She glanced around the room, her eyes flashing yet again.

The … elf… Was that an elf?  She thought they were extinct by now.

It would be so nice if that was a lie.

But she was there she was there she was th… 

The elf.  She had summoned vines and a door and a new room.

No… The elf had just summoned the vines.

“Oaken Door.  Dang it.  Hated that family.  Can’t believe they are still in business.  Better not have married Wy while I was a way.” She tipped her head.  “Is that… is that pink?” She jumped up and ran to the vine covered door, leaning forward to smell the gently bobbing rose-bud.

Then she stopped.

“Uh… this … isn’t a rose?”  She pursed her lips.

And – like her father had taught her – she lifted her foot, and slammed her heel HARD over the door-knob.

It broke …

… and caught on more vines.

“No.” She growled.  “I am not stay stuck in a room with a failed assassin.”

She peered through the tangle of vines.

A liberal application of her battle-ax to the vines would take care of the problem… but she really didn’t want to kill the plants.

They might be useful.

They definitely were magic.  And – as her dearly departed mother would say – “You don’t ruin a good battle-ax on magic plants.”

“Rowan.  If you let me in, I’ll tell you aaaaaaaall about this place.”

She squinted, eyes flashing into the room – oh, greenhouse!  Now she really wanted in.

“Oh, Red.  Nice to see you too.” Grimme leaned against the door casually examining her weapon.  She swore.  “It’s chipped.”

They were whispering behind her.

“Okay.  So Red, Rowan.  I take it you just met.” Grimme squinted sharply at Dr. Dominic.  He was still out of it.  Good.

“So while you get to know each other, could you please let me out of the room with the absolutely, horribly incompetent assassin scientist?”  She prodded the faded, black-stained pink silk-ribbon on her battle-ax.  “There’s a lot of information I can give you.”

She laughed softly, whispering.  “Oh girls, we can have so. much. fun! in the next 54 parts.”

~#~#~

Okay, so, I did my best while attempting to move the plot forward.  But can anyone tell me the specific character question I danced around?

If not, I’ll try again. 🙂

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Ok! Man this’ll be bad lol, I have no idea how they’ll react to each other since this’ll be before Meira has a reason to hate Connel 😈

Anyway, Meira’s character description, I’ll probably get Connel’s tomorrow XD

Character Name: Meira Kalyani
    Age; fifteen
    Occupation; hired servant at inn, trying very hard to be a brawler
    Family Members and Significant Others; foster parents and three or four siblings, just about anybody she claps eyes on that she decides to adopt, Alessio (see previous :P)
    Personality traits; does not really pick up on social cues like at all, borderline Asperger’s/autistic, about as unsubtle as unsubtle gets, way mom friend like ‘yo no mess with mama hen’ mom friend like seriously bad mom friend when she decides to be, very assertive, very loud, talks a lot especially when venting to someone she’s comfortable with, right now hates being a girl, scared of not being self-sufficient, hates injustice with a passion, shares one brain cell with Alessio and they take turns dropping it…ok jk; very (reckless) action-oriented where Alessio over-analyzes, laughs a lot, is smarter than she looks, very simple obvious motives and strong emotions,
    Character history/origins; rescued slave-girl, her father absolutely spoiled her with love, has not adjusted to more disciplinary foster parents, very resistant to losing the freedoms she’s used to having with her father/is triggered by new parenting style after having been a slave,
    Highest level of education; boldness
    Physical traits; porcelain-white skin, glassy violet eyes (is somewhat near-sighted), rose-red lips, cute chubby face, really long shiny/frizzy ink-black hair and bangs that’s constantly hiding most of her face (until post character-arc), is rather short, looks as cute as a button and hates it so much, also has little gold studded freckles which is a tribal thing but she’s pretty well acclimated to human traditions and doesn’t have a particular interest in her heritage, wears what’s somewhere in-between what she’s used to wearing and what her foster parents will allow (that is to say she has never had to wear a dress until she was adopted and they had to work something sorta like a dress that she can tomboy-around in without ruining it)
    Mannerisms; sits on her knees and erect kinda like a puppy, fumbles with her hands, cocks her head very expressively, has big gestures and tends to toss herself around so much her hair bounces everywhere, can get so enthusiastic she accidentally hits/knocks into people, has this quirk where she’s always collecting/stacking pebbles always has stones and pebbles in her pockets, mostly like ‘faithful guard-dog’ mannerisms, is almost always covered in bandages because glass people are very fragile but they heal much quicker than humans and instead of blushing they turn transparent, she does that when she’s really angry, has a very unladylike contagiously mischievous/maniacal laugh
    Biggest motivator; standing up for others
    Biggest fear; being weak
    Things he/she likes; fighting, cooking, competition,
    Things he/she dislikes; bullying; hates it with a fierce passion, etiquette; finds it impossible to understand and very inconvenient, girly things; it makes her feel like she needs protecting,
    What does this character’s voice sound like? Kinda this unique sorta ghetto kinda British-sounding accent with a some glass-people slang
    What five words best describe this character? She is very assertive/insecure

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

Very cool! Sounds like a very interesting character. I love how you used “She is very” as 3 out of 5 words to describe Meira 😂

I’m going to go ahead and stick with Dominic since I’m too lazy to create someone new since he’s already been introduced. I will include a description of him and a drawing hopefully later on today since I didn’t before.

Erynne
    @erynne

*returns 1 hour and 15 minutes later after digging through old drawings to find sketches of Dominic then turn them into really bad digital drawing but oh well*

I shall return later with a description. *Marches out of door  with dramatic music playing*

Erynne
    @erynne

Name: Dr. Dominic

Race: human

Family members and/or significant others: one cousin and his family (wife and daughter) who Dominic absolutely despises because he (his cousin-not Dominic) got chosen to lead the kingdom of Endoveria instead of Dominic

Character history/origin: I think I just covered that. But to go into further detail his grandfather raised him and his cousin. They grew up as princes in the castle

Highest level of education: science!

Physical traits: crazy hair and amazing facial hair (see above) and glasses

Mannerisms: um…he talks to himself and he’s kinda rude and yup evil scientist stuff that you wouldn’t understand

Biggest motivator: competition; trying to prove he’s better than other people

Biggest fear: being out-smarted

Things he/she likes: science stuff

Things he/she dislikes: horses, people who annoy him (like…EVERYONE)

What does his/her voice sound like: LIKE-WHOOPS STILL IN CAPS LOCK- anyway, like this formal sort of an accent like rude scientist way…yep, that explains it pretty well!

What are the 5 best words to describe your character? Scientist. Smart but not really. Conceded. Mean.

Here’s the questions I used if any of y’all want to copy and paste it for yourself (@this-is-not-an-alien I hope it’s alright, I just used your questions)

Name:

Race:

Family members and/or significant others:

Character history/origin:

Highest level of education:

Physical traits:

Mannerisms:

Biggest motivator:

Biggest fear:

Things he/she likes:

Things he/she dislikes:

What does his/her voice sound like:

What are the 5 best words to describe your character:

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I love how you used “She is very” as 3 out of 5 words to describe Meira

Lol I was staring at the page like *five words mmm five words uh she’s…definitely…something…types ‘she is very’ pause like ‘how many words is that?’ Pause ‘assertive/sensitive’ me be like; nailed it. My brain be like :/ *

Here’s the questions I used if any of y’all want to copy and paste it for yourself (@this-is-not-an-alien I hope it’s alright, I just used your questions)

Oi no problem! They’re not even really mine I just tweaked a character chart from a Writing Your Novel in 90 Days book. (In fact I cut out a couple that weren’t relevant to my characters for the moment. This would be the long questionnaire for anybody interested <3

Character Name:
    Family Members and Significant Others
    Personality traits
    How do people perceive him/her
    Character history/origins
    Highest level of education
    Physical traits
    Mannerisms;
    Childhood dreams;
    Childhood fears
    Biggest motivator
    Biggest fear
    Things he/she likes
    Things he/she dislikes
    Where does he/she live?
    What kind of music does he/she listen to?
    What does he/she like about him/herself? Dislike?
    What is his/her favorite childhood memory?
    What is his/her most traumatic life event?
    What is his/her most prized possession?
    What kind of transportation does he/she use?
    What is his/her favorite food?
    What is the most interesting thing about this character?
    What does this character’s voice sound like?
    What five words best describe this character?
    What does my character want most in the world?
    What obstacles, events or people will stand in the way of my character getting what he wants?)

Ok so next character!

Character Name: Connel Kyrell
    Age; *would probably stab you if you asked* mid-forties-ish
    Occupation; bounty-hunter, really infamous bounty-hunter, everybody knows he’s bad news the iconic Casumbran living legend of villains like evil George Washington legend
    Family Members and Significant Others; his pet draekonet, Tatira, is the only thing he genuinely cares about thru the book 1-2 roughly (ok maybe more books 1-3 maybe even 1-4 like idk it’s a process)
    Personality traits; not sure if he’s a psychopath or a high-functioning sociopath or just a normal ISTP adapting to a very harsh life, very practical/very charming, enjoys dangerous activities, it may be a trauma-response that he’s constantly looking for something stimulating, something dangerous, he’s reckless but in a very very calculated way, rather seductively casual and relaxed, doesn’t enjoy killing and will go through a fair amount of effort to avoid it when ‘practical’, is very sardonic but it’s really hard to tell whether his motives are good/bad/gray, is usually very laid back but has a scary temper when triggered, ruthless but secretly more or less cowardly, guardedly personable, doesn’t take relationships seriously and doesn’t pretend to, is illiterate and nomadic, afraid of commitment, hates losing his temper to the point that he’s likely to become more snappish in frustration at not being able to control himself, does feel guilt but won’t admit he’s wrong or if he does he won’t admit there’s a way to change.
    Character history/origins; good question…heheh…
    I don’t know all the details here but Connel was a sorta orphan taken in by a necromancer-lord or a vassal kingdom subverting the population to overthrow the kingdom, he was trained as an assassin from a very early age, became a favorite hated the necromancer with a passion but didn’t have the resources to escape, little foggy here but something forced him to finally cut off ties and without any other job expertise become a bounty-hunter, but there are plenty of versions of that story might become a layered subplot.
    Highest level of education; killing people
    Physical traits; shadowy dark eyes, coal black tangled hair pulled by with a cord, brown almost slate-grayish skin, think wolf motif,
    Mannerisms; beware the ‘casually stroking the hilt of his knife’ that means he wants to murder you or has decided murder might be the best option, there’s an art to seeming indifferent and he’s mastered it, always has a sardonic light in his eyes, bitterly cynical smile, very very very meticulously detached, talks to his pet like self-therapy,
    Biggest motivator; surviving
    Biggest fear; admitting he’s a coward
    Things he/she likes; excitement, short almost intimate relationships, sarcasm, pluck, almost oddly fascinated by idealism,
    Things he/she dislikes; people in general whoever he has to interact with in particular, crowds, solitude, everything
    What is the most interesting thing about this character?; a ruthless coward
    What does this character’s voice sound like?; a touch of smug indifference classic ‘tough’ voice
    What five words best describe this character?; a lonely monster who’s human

Erynne
    @erynne

@this-is-not-an-alien

Lol, I did the same thing. I mean, it took me forever to come up with five words.

Ok cool. I definitely think the shorter version is more efficient for this particular thing.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

For the heck of it I’ll do this for Karayan and Þorunn and then hopefully the castle will actually start again 😛

Character Name: Karayan
    Age: He’s not sure; his personal memories and world history have merged at this point.
    Family Members and Significant Others: Daughter named Chaaya (bit of a trouble maker, almost constantly in jail for murdering cattle).  No other lived ones really.
    Personality traits: Flippant, sarcastic, sesquipedalian, deeply principled, half his weight is attitude
    How do people perceive him/her: After about 5 minutes talking with him it’s really obvious he’s a pretty chill bibliophile rather than a horrifying monster.  Commonly people seek him for exposition or as a source for their history project.
    Character history/origins: Not to get too far into spoiler territory but basically he made a deal to get a soul and then once he got the soul he realized the consequences of his deal and has been trying to mitigate it as much as possible.  (It’s his fault Brendin even has a syne actually)
    Highest level of education: He’s been slowly reading the entire Library of Alexandria, basically, so probably higher than the is a name for.
    Physical traits: Feline humanoid, as previously explained.
    Mannerisms: Combine Tony Stark and Hermione Granger and you’re pretty close.  Lots of gesticulation, quirky facial expressions and sassy body language.
    Childhood dreams: If he had any he’s forgotten them by this point seeing as his childhood was a couple centuries ago and he remembers nothing of it.
    Childhood fears: Again, does not remember
    Biggest motivator: Atonement
    Biggest fear: He’ll fail to mitigate the problems he caused and the natural order will be horrifically twisted as a result.
    Things he/she likes: Books, candles, reading, organization, cats (especially kittens), tea, cellars/catacombs/dungeons/underground areas.
    Things he/she dislikes: Sunlight, noise, windows, birds, dogs, coffee, society in general
    Where does he/she live?  In the catacombs beneath the University
    What kind of music does he/she listen to?  The crinkling of old pages and the crackle of a small hearth fire.
    What does he/she like about him/herself? Dislike?  Likes his charisma and knowledge.  Hates his impulsive tendencies.
    What is his/her favorite childhood memory?  Doesn’t remember so…
    What is his/her most traumatic life event?  Gaining a soul.  Spontaneously growing a moral compass stings a bit.
    What is his/her most prized possession?  Powdered gemstones.  Their significance is rather spoiler heavy, but they’re very important.
    What kind of transportation does he/she use?  He walks around either in his humanoid form or his cat form, or his human friend Amillia carries him (as a cat) around in her bag.
    What is his/her favorite food?  Calf blood.  (He is a vampire after all)
    What is the most interesting thing about this character?  Probably his history, or more accurately his impact on history.  If it weren’t for him things would be extremely different.
    What does this character’s voice sound like?  Tom Hiddleston’s Loki.
    What five words best describe this character?  Chaotic feline vampiric historian bibliophile
    What does my character want most in the world?  To fix his mistake.
    What obstacles, events or people will stand in the way of my character getting what he wants?  A villain from most of the prequel stories (Through the Eyes of Stone and A Broken Crown Upon a Broken Throne specifically) put a lot of things in place to stop Karayan.  That and the fact that if he isn’t careful he’ll be immediately killed, so he can’t do anything too obviously opposed to Cassius’s wishes.

Character Name:  Þorunn
    Family Members and Significant Others: Father Ragnvald and three brothers, Ulfrik, Sten, and Torfi.  Þorunn is the second oldest.
    Personality traits: Definitely a psychopath.  Pragmatic and calculating.
    How do people perceive him/her: A capable warrioress, a true shield maiden.  Perhaps a little overly ambitious.
    Character history/origins: Her family still holds the old ways and wants to depose Oberjarl Thrand and his family because of their conversion to Christianity.
    Highest level of education: Viking
    Physical traits: Previously stated
    Mannerisms: Very confident and audacious in her movements; seems to fear nothing.
    Childhood dreams: Becoming a shield maiden.
    Childhood fears: Her family dying.
    Biggest motivator: Religious beliefs.
    Biggest fear: The old ways will be forgotten and her family will be dishonored
    Things he/she likes: Combat, scheming, lying.
    Things he/she dislikes: Pacifism, diplomacy, politics.
    Where does he/she live?  With her father
    What kind of music does he/she listen to?  She doesn’t
    What does he/she like about him/herself? Dislike?  Likes her combat prowess and capabilities.  Dislikes that she was born a daughter.
    What is his/her favorite childhood memory?  Being taught to fight by her father and older brothers.
    What is his/her most traumatic life event?  Presumably her mother’s death but I’m still not sure what happened yet.
    What is his/her most prized possession?  The first knife her father gave her, which has a lock of her mother’s hair braided and wrapped around the grip.
    What kind of transportation does he/she use?  Foot or longship.
    What is his/her favorite food? Need to research this more before I can answer (sorry)
    What is the most interesting thing about this character?  How scheming she can be.
    What does this character’s voice sound like?  Cate Blanchett’s Hela but Viking
    What five words best describe this character?  Viking warlord in woman’s body
    What does my character want most in the world?  Become Oberjarl herself if possible.
    What obstacles, events or people will stand in the way of my character getting what he wants?  The protagonists 🙂

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 221 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest