fb

Fantasy Writers

Villains’ Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

Sticking the rabbit on a wooden skewer, Isaac placed it over the fire. He had been careful, retreating back into the trees out of sight. The dry twigs and branches did not give off the rich aroma he had smelled in the farmhouses he had hidden in. He couldn’t risk the smoke. He would find out what the name of the village was and vanish before news of his kill spread.

Oskar Dirlewanger dying the day he he received the Knight’s Cross would tick off the SS. And when they found his usual mark, they would send their best after him. The Gestapo would follow close behind if they weren’t already one the way. The taskforce had gotten close a few times, they might be close this time too.

There was a roar. Isaac froze. Wolves did appear now and again but THAT was not a wolf. It was far to low, more of a booming than a howl. Kicking sand onto the fire, Isaac threw the rabbit into the brush. They must have smelled it. Get rid of it and throw them off him. Scooping up his rifle, Isaac moved away from the campsite.

Then there was a second roar. Closer and to the right. It was a pack and they were coming. And he saw it. A bronze lion walking toward him. Isaac chuckled. He must have cooked a mushroom. He just had to stay calm. What he saw wasn’t real. Ignoring the beast, Isaac continued. It crouched, looking at him strangely. And it pounced. Subconsciously, Isaac dodged. A claw scrapped his leg and he winched. It hurt. Bending, he felt the wound. He saw blood and it tasted like blood. This was too real to be hallucinations.

Cursing, Isaac drew his pistol. The lion had turned for another attack. Firing fast, Isaac watched the lion continue to charge. The bullets weren’t strong enough. Jumping clear of the attack, Isaac switched to the rifle. If it could rip through an armored car, a lion should be easy. Bracing for the recoil, he fired. This time the bullet cut deep but the lion only roared and turned.

The battle in the meantime had attracted two others to the glade. Isaac cursed. He no longer had the time or patience to use the rifle. Pulling a grenade from his coat, Isaac threw it and ran. Slinging the long rifle over his shoulder, he looked back. The lions were covering the distance fast. With all his equipment, Isaac could not out run them. In front of him was a road and strangely an Opel Blitz truck. It was just close enough.

Springing into the truck bed, Isaac shook off the rifle with one arm while firing his pistol with the other. A bullet struck the lead lion in the eye and it slowed. Freed of the long gun, Isaac slipped through the cab window. The engine was running. Whoever had been driving was dead for sure by now. Stomping the gas, Isaac watched the lions swiftly vanish in the mirror. Ahead was the village.

This was strange. There were to many impossibilities and extreme chances. Something was forcing him into town. What for Isaac did not have a clue.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I’m just gonna drop this character who idk she might be an antihero or anything but she hasn’t stopped pestering me for a while so I’ll just try to roll with her.
    Name:…*whatever I want to be called an’ right now I want to be called Red!*
    Name; Red
    Age; probably somewhere between sixteen and nineteen *Red; twenty-one!*
    Physical traits; wiry muscles, average height, wears her flaming red hair in a long messy braid with wispy, dangly bangs half-hiding acid burns on the left side of her hand as well as on her left hand, brilliant blue almond eyes, slightly Asian features
    Personality traits; *Red; I’m a clever fox to outfox any fella, and I’m witty and charming and soo pretty, (waves a hand to her burns sardonically) me; ok, where’d you get those burns anyway? Red; my dad’s a gangsa. Me; that’s…not explaining exactly how– Red; my adoptive folks are alright, way too bossy and all but they ain’t bad or anything. My new brother’s an absolute pessimist so he’s cool and my new sister she’s all sentimentalist but she’s alright. Me; but how did you get your scar? Red; holding a knife in my face. Me; Ok…nevermind*, very sassy, pragmatic, VERY contrary, is not in touch with/holds in her feels, guileful, does not process fear well (tends to just tune it out and laugh or something), you never know whether she’s kidding or dead-serious, chatterbox
    Character history/origins; me; Red; what? Me; dude. Red; sticks her tongue at me.
    Occupation; acrobat, knife-thrower, jack-of-trades
    Biggest motivator; has lost it
    Biggest fear; yes
    Things she likes; *me;…uh, why do you have a whole pack of Band-Aids in your pocket? Red; bite me!* gum, cats, fox aesthetic,
    What is her most prized possession?; her knife (which is actually her father’s which she stole)
    What does this character’s voice sound like?; *Red; dude, my voice sounds like my voice, right? Like ‘dude that’s my voice’ it’d be like really weird if somebody got my voice it’d be like wow like ya’know right? Anyway who’s asking these dumb questions I’ll slit your throat I’m bored!*

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Faeryn was gone. For now.

A young lady sprang herself off the edge of the roof her flaming red braid flapping against her back almost as hard as her heart was pounding. Behind her shouts started to fade as she collided with the roof rolling against the impact before landing on her feet. In a second she bounded up like a cat and glanced back sharply enough to knock her rope of hair to the side, surprised.
    Everything suddenly looked different. This wasn’t her home town, or was she crazy? Maybe a bit of both. Stray wisps of red overlapped her bangs as she panted silently enough that her face was barely visible. Not so invisible as to not hide the acid burns across the left side of her face. She shrugged jerkily and glanced around again. “Oi! What’s up?! I just stole this super weird whatever!” She waved a glowing patterned canteen in the air and it let off a green oozing light. Nobody chased her. She blinked her electric blue eyes. And she blinked again, her eyes fading back to a familiar exotically pale azure. The girl shook herself and moved on.
    “Yeesh, can’t even steal a crazy artifact anymore nobody never gives chase and that’s just boring…Where the devil am I, is this some B-grade novel or something? Nobody never just ‘falls in’ to a story like this guess I’m crazy or maybe…” She tilted her head to the side before jerking back en route “yep, I’m crazy.”
    Everything looked positively medieval except a truck hurtling into the streets. That was her ticket out of a chase nobody could catch up to it here. She bounced up and down, testing her muscles before taking a dashing jump barely landing on the roof of the moving truck. With a adrenaline-fused gasp she whipped into the passenger seat, sprawled like a thrown cat between the seat and the dashboard.
    “Whew I’m crazy ain’t that right! Oh hey, G’day, you steal it too?” Her devious eyes slid over the driver in the trench coat. She relaxed into her seat dropping one hand to the throwing knives along the inside of her jacket. His look screamed dangerous. Propping her feet on the dashboard she shrugged carelessly. “Call me Red. You?”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rusted Knight
    @rusted-knight

“Whew I’m crazy ain’t that right! Oh hey, G’day, you steal it too?” The girl got comfortable in her seat. “Call me Red. You?”

Isaac hated these types. They were too easy to get secrets out of. Turning into an alley, Isaac stopped the truck. Reaching into his coat, he pulled out his pistol.

“Out. Now.”

“Hey! You can’t..!”

Isaac didn’t let her finish. A swift strike to the back of the head knocked her out. Opening the door, he unceremoniously kicked her out. Closing the door, Isaac started the truck and left. Once a few blocks were between him and the girl, he pulled into a second alley. The girls remarks reminded him that he had not search the back properly.

There were several crates of rifles and ammo. His own rifle had tumbled onto its side in the mad drive. And as he had hoped, a uniform. Throwing his trench coat into the bed, Isaac pulled on the uniform. The suspender and belt pouches were more convenient than his coat but the coat was more subtle. Content with his look, Isaac hoped back into the cab.

The Devil saw me with my head down and got excited. Then I said Amen

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

“Out. Now.” Was the stranger’s greeting as he shoved a pistol in her face. She gave him a withering look and huffed with her shoulders.
    “Well excuse you!” The knife materialized into her hand as she dropped her feet off the dashboard. “Hey! You can’t…!”
    Bang!
    The next thing she felt was kissing the grinding dirt with whiplash of the butt of a gun, probably, throbbing her skull off. Couldn’t have been out for more than a couple seconds, a couple minutes most. Medically, a concussion worse than that would’ve caused brain damage, assuming she didn’t already have that. Red slowly shoved herself on her hand, blinking. Came with the kind of headache worse than her biological father. She cursed, her eyes narrowing to slits as she crawled to her feet, gingerly touching her head.
    “Well,” Red rasped, twirling out her knife “you asked for it, bucko.”

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

Rowan glanced between the man and the warrior woman wielding a battle axe, then did the only thing she could.

Retreat.

Swiftly a wall of young rowans rose from the wooden floor in front of her as she dashed away towards a door behind the yew throne.  It opened with a well-placed kick to a dark room.  She didn’t have time to investigate, so she slipped in and closed the door again behind her, growing a small vine latch around the knob to hold it closed.  Then she looked around the room as her eyes adjusted to the dark.

This was a mistake…

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Just as she was about to track a noise behind caused her to freeze. A growl behind her. She turned around just as a smack of lion claws whipped at her face. Reflexively, she twisted into a backbend, ducking her stance apart, knife in both hands. One, right in front of her, two circling round. Her heart pounded, adrenaline didn’t save you in a fight, instead it reduced your normal fighting skills by 60% and drained your energy twice as fast.
    “Get back!” Red snarled, stabbing her knives around wildly in the hopes of scaring them off after easier prey. It wasn’t working. “Get back I say!”
    She hurled her blades at the face of the largest, to no affect. Its skin was polished bronze, fur shuttering like mail spikes. The girl shifted from one footing to another, eyes darting to each creature before a next strike. A second. A pounce of teeth and claws and Red flung herself into a backwards cartwheel over a head landing in a half somersault that spits dirt into her gut. She didn’t think twice she hooked her weight around and ran.
    “This is crazy youwannakillme! Why?!” she whined. Suddenly the ground dropped underneath her and the rolled with a yelp, dizzy with black, yellow and red spots spasming through her vision. Then, nothing. Red blinked and blinked again, her body numb for several seconds.
    Then she found herself in a greenhouse, spiraling with glowing exotic plans. She shook herself.
    “Must be magic.” Her rump ached from where she landed, glowing pigments sketched the ceiling, and the room practically oozed with dark magic.
    On the other side of the room a door slammed open and some elf knocked through, a tangle of vines wrapped around the knob behind her as if summoned by the stranger. Red blinked again, numbly pulled out her phone, and took a picture.

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

This seems to be in need of a restart… but who should I use?

Karayan, chaotic feline vampire?  Oberon, tyrannical faery king?  Tereza, manipulative vampire seductress?  Þorunn, sociopathic Viking strategist?  Cassius, manipulative narcissistic advisor?  Fyrian, pyromaniacal elemental spirit?  Makar, immortal master manipulator?

Or maybe some heroes/antiheroes?

Rowan, vengeful orphaned elf?  Carmilla, perky vampire assassin?  Brendin, tortured amnesiac Maere?  Acantha, lonely broken queen?  Galen, scarred former gladiator?  Satine, powerful Taqarin warlock?  Tora, ancient vengeful homunculus?

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @rusted-knight @hannahrenner @erynne
    Y’all pick which of mine characters sounds most interesting to write with.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Erynne
    @erynne

@skylarynn

They all sound like they could be interesting! But, I think the ones I’d like most would be the vampires and Makar

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

@skylarynn

chaotic feline vampire or pyromaniac elemental spirit.

Pleeeeeeeeeassssse.

Okay, so if you tag “chaotic” or “pyromaniac” I’m interested.

Those adjectives to not apply to me.  But they do apply to my siblings! 😉

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Erynne
    @erynne

<p style=”text-align: left;”>@skylarynn @hannahrenner</p>
    So that’s that then. Karayan, the chaotic feline vampire it is.

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@skylarynn
    *ecstatically throws arms around you* You are an absolute lifesaver! I thought this castle was dead.
    I say maybe bring in two characters at once so they can interact enough everyone can get a feel for them, I completely forgot how anti-social villains are when I started this XD. I like your vampires, like Karayan or Carmilla and seeing Brendin in the Villains’ Castle would definitely be interesting! Maybe everybody has to land or enter in the same room this time and some threat has to immediately come so they have to work together/interact-without-killing-each-other?
    I think I might bring out Red and throw in somebody different with slightly more-established character (or at least a half-way fleshed backstory *Red; Hey! Me; Well after begging me to give you a shot you just stopped talking to me entirely! Red; rolls eyes; yeah yeah you’re just lazy. Me; and you didn’t even give me a real name!*

So, for really abrasive heroes; Meira the glass-girl who wants to fight anything that moves or Azriel Rand who’s the only person in Alessio’s story that has reasonably normal brain cells. (Unfortunately he knows it.)?
    And villains; Connel (who evolves into an antihero later in the story) a murderous bounty-hunter who thinks killing is wrong (*like, dude, why didn’t you tell me earlier. Connel; that’s…more of a hobby there, I’m so much more interesting as a sociopath, right? Anyway they deserved what they got and I might as well be paid for it.*), or Kellan Lothaire, a barely sane tyrant in a Prohibition-era si-fi?

@hannahrenner

oh please, where do you think I get my chaotic stupid pyromania from? 😈😜

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

I think I’ll actually rotate through a couple of them as time goes on.  For now I’m going with Karayan (who’s technically called a vetala by the way) and Þorunn.  A description for your convenience:
    Karayan has two forms; one is a feline humanoid, the other is an actual feline (cat).  His humanoid form is approximately 6’1″ in height, almost completely covered in short grey fur except for his palms, fingertips, and the soles of his feet.  On his hands and feet he has retractable claws.  He has catlike facial features with upturned violet eyes and vertically slitted pupils.  He has whiskers on the sides of his face and strongly pointed teeth with prominent canines.  His ears are triangular and tufted (cat ears) and he also has two twin tails about 2’6″ long.  The tails move in unison and he has more control over the right tail.  He is usually dressed in a simple robe tied with a sash for the sake of decency.  In his cat form he is the size of a lynx and dark grey except for white at his throat.  He retains the violet eyes and twin tails.
    Þorunn is roughly 5’2″, well-built with a mannish brow and jawline.  Her hair is dark, weathered brown like the color of tree bark, and braided intricately with black beads.  Her eyes are also dark and lined with black kohl, and there is a fierce hunger to them.  Her front teeth have a groove filed in and filled with red pigment, making a red line across them.  Around her neck is an intricate metal pendant in the form of a hammer.  She is dressed in a coarse overtunic, trousers, and leather boots.  A belt with various knives, tools and trinkets cinches around her waist.  A sword is strapped over her shoulder.  Her body appears hardened and wiry, like a powerful wolf in a woman’s skin.

Karayan turned another page of the weathered tome he was reading, careful not to tear the crackling leaf.  He always took great care with these older books.  They were pieces of history, not unlike him.
    A headache began to encroach on his skull, likely a result of reading for six hours in dim candlelight.  The vetala sighed and decided to rest for a while.  He blew out the candles, carefully closed the old tome, and went to lay on the carpet of furs he used as a bed.
    But instead Karayan found himself in a chamber that was most definitely not his cozy section of catacomb beneath the University, most obviously proven by the fact that this room had windows and sunlight was streaming through them.
    “Oh by the Woman,” the vetala muttered.  “Why is it I’m always inconvenienced when I try to rest?”

Þorunn was prone to ill-temper when she drank; it was how she’d gained part of her reputation as a shieldmaiden, as any wench who could topple a sober man of equal age while heavily inebriated was a fearsome warrioress.  This night though the young woman had not yet had much ale, so she was annoyed when a sudden migraine came on.  Then a sudden bout of nausea as the world spun around her.  In an instant Þorunn was in a round, light-strewn chamber walled in stone pocked with windows.  And opposite her stood some kind of furred human-like creature.
    Calmly Þorunn transferred her drinking horn to her other hand and drew her sword off her back.  “What are you, an overgrown troll?”

Karayan recognized the language as some derivative of Eld Nors, yet he understood it perfectly.  And was mildly insulted by the insinuation he was at all related to trolls.
    “I’m a vetala, rather a different kind of creature altogether,” the vampire informed her calmly.  “Are you a Nor?  Whatever you’re speaking sounds like their language.”

Þorunn did not outwardly appear fazed, but she was mildly perplexed that what she heard was a language vaguely reminiscent of those spoken by the Keltaics, but yet one she understood perfectly.  “How did I arrive here?”
    “I don’t know, I only came to be here a moment before you did.”
    Þorunn considered how to answer this, but before she could someone else arrived in the room.

@this-is-not-an-alien
    @erynne @rusted-knight @hannahrenner

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

This is Þorunn

Catholic Creed
    @hannahrenner

@this-is-not-an-alien

You inherited pyromania and chaotic stupid from both parents and their parents and – in all likelihood – their parents.

I have nothing to do with those traits because I have the braincell in this family.

To literally everyone else in this castle: If we are going to be rotating characters, maybe we should have a “In light of actually meeting [crazy character in question’s name], I – Castle Oaken Door – UN-CHOSE THEM.” [zaps them back to wherever they came from]

This leaves you open to bring your character back if you desire.

Or, we could make this Deathly Labyrinth and everyone is desperately looking for an escape door and characters-we-are-done-with find the doors.

Or… you know what?  There are a lot of plot-possibilities here.  Anyone else have ideas?

I hope to have an addition to the castle this week… I’m keeping Grimme / Warning and Message.  I’m going to look at the character bio-questions people are using (squints at @this-is-not-an-alien ) and see if I can’t SHOW it.

bEcAuSe I struggle here, that’s why.  I show too much or too little or the wrong details.  🙁

When life knocks you down, wait 'til it passes over you and then attack it from behind.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest