fb

Fantasy Writers

Villains’ Character Castle

Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)
  • Author
    calidris
    @calidris

Kongar rolled his eyes, throwing up his hands in exasperation.  “I was kidding. Someone’s missing a sense of humor,” he laughed.  The Shrike shrunk back, arms locked around his knees.

“You do know what a joke is, don’t you?” The words sounded distant, and yet they cut painfully close…

The joke wasn’t even that funny.

Chantara snorted.  “You don’t know anything else. You should have become a performer instead,” she snapped.  The Shrike slowly looked up, and to his surprise, Kongar’s smile faltered.  A look of deep, unspeakable sorrow seeped into his gaze, then, in an instant, it disappeared.  He laughed sharply.

“Ever heard of anyone whose life turned out the way they wanted?” He grinned.

The Shrike tilted his head, gazing up at him sadly.

You and I aren’t so different after all.

“It isn’t fair, you know. It shouldn’t be like this,” Chantara murmured softly.

“Bless you, silly goose. What else should it be like?” Kongar asked, lightly.  Chantara sighed.

“Speaking of geese,” Kongar said abruptly, “Our lovely friend has given us one chance less, so that’s very helpful. Let’s see what we can do with the last one.”

The Shrike glanced up sharply.

Geese?  Where?

He saw a goose once, a fat white one traveling the sooty sidewalks around the polluted pond in the central park.  It wandered up too him in search of food, and hissed at him when he tried to pet it.  He came back the next day, but it was gone.  Perhaps it had flown away in search of cleaner waters, or maybe for want of happier company.

It would seem that nothing else lived in Spire except rats and corruption.

He looked up at Kongar hopefully.  “A goose?  What do you mean?”

@rose-colored-fancy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Just a heads up, I’m going to pull the Shrike out very, very soon.  I’m itching to get him into the character castle, and also it just makes me depressed seeing him so sad and lonely lol.  I have a rather unusual and major request to make, but would you two be alright with letting him keep the goose?

*laughs as one fey*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Wait, hold on! They guessed invisibility but it was supposed to be teleportation. That was right before the castle turned off the lights!

ACK!! You know what I don’t think they guessed it right at all and that’s why the castle turned out the lights for them to find Grimme who was invisible!! You’re right! I think! Idk anymore I can’t keep up with my own castle!!! 😭

Okayyy, I haven’t quite figured out how they should be doing this. How are they supposed to get pawns on their side? Are they working toward a specific goal? I’m trying to figure out how to do this because although Chantara is kinda a loner, Kongar isn’t, and this might be something he’d excel at. (‘Cause he’s a manipulative idiot! XD)

Ahh yeah, I didn’t quite think that one through although I tried to convince the stubborn characters you needed Pawns to leave the room but that didn’t work so, say, Pawns provide hints, clues and also in the next room they have to fight so they need score an army or something?
    Or say each player, character etc has to get like five Pawns with various skills to make a team to beat an unspecified next trial through a maze, so the next event could be like teambuilding!
    Or…yeah idk yet…XD

Man, their age really hits me every time they do something especially evil. They’re literally children. My poor babies, I feel way too sorry for them! XD

Aww poor creepy kids XD

@anybody, yeesh, I’m late. I’ll probably have to pull out either Meira or Sloane (which I hate doing they’re both so fun!!!) but I’ll probably keep Sloane but she’s going through a lot of changes and doesn’t seem to be as amoral as I thought anymore…

So…the invisible lady died, some white-haired statistically probable assassin appeared and a young glassgirl was apparently here too. Sloane reassessed in an instant and sized up how well she could take the stranger; a few minutes probably except he had an edge to him she didn’t like the feel of in a fight. Any case he hadn’t shown himself to be an enemy yet so she could afford to be friendly, if wary.
    “As I just said, I don’t have any knives,” Kongar was already trying to drive the man crazy. “Cat got your tongue?”
    “You’re a liar,” He whispered, staring dimly have at the assassin. Sloane snorted innocently in agreement, flicking her red hair out of her face with an effortless grace. It has a pleasant feel, sometimes, being a girl although sometimes it’s a pain and she’s beginning to feel the pressure again.
    “I was kidding. Someone’s missing a sense of humor,” he said dramatically with a laugh. “You do know what a joke is, don’t you?”
    Sloane shook her head disparagingly and walked up to the stranger.
    “Speaking of geese,” Kongar said abruptly, “Our lovely friend has given us one chance less, so that’s very helpful. Let’s see what we can do with the last one.”
    “A goose? What do you mean?” The stranger asked.
    Sloane quirked her eyebrow at Kongar too because geese don’t exist in her world and she’d very much like to know what sort of monster they’re fighting.

I have a rather unusual and major request to make, but would you two be alright with letting him keep the goose?

Oh that’s a plan! They could spend all this time trying to solve the goose’s magical properties and then the Shrike just like vanishes with it and everybody’s like “…” and the Castle just kinda rolls her eyes and tells them the properties and they get on with the next trial lol! I think that could work? What’s your vote @rose-colored-fancy?

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Ahh yeah, I didn’t quite think that one through although I tried to convince the stubborn characters you needed Pawns to leave the room but that didn’t work so, say, Pawns provide hints, clues and also in the next room they have to fight so they need score an army or something?
    Or say each player, character etc has to get like five Pawns with various skills to make a team to beat an unspecified next trial through a maze, so the next event could be like teambuilding!

That sounds awesome! I’d love that!

Oh that’s a plan! They could spend all this time trying to solve the goose’s magical properties and then the Shrike just like vanishes with it and everybody’s like “…” and the Castle just kinda rolls her eyes and tells them the properties and they get on with the next trial lol! I think that could work? What’s your vote

I like it! Go for it!

@everyone

Hey, y’all, school started this week, I’m still struggling to get back into the swing of things, so sorry if it takes a while to write another post. 😉

Just a quick something to move y’all along!

Kongar

“A goose, what do you mean?” The stranger asked. Even Sloane was looking at me as though she had no idea what it was.

I laughed out loud and Chantara snorted disdainfully.

“You don’t know what a goose is? Where are you from where there are no geese?” I asked.

I shot Chantara another mocking look. Her jab at my past had been annoying and I was going to pay her back for it.

“Well, farm girl, tell them.”

The thinly veiled insult had the hoped-for effect and Chantara bristled.

“Tell them yourself.”

I raised my eyebrows but didn’t reply, waiting for her to answer.

She gritted her teeth and answered, slowly.

“That–” she flicked her wrist at the fat poultry, “Is called a goose. They’re the most vicious waterfowl on this side of hell. They have no inherent special powers unless you count aggression.”

I noticed her fingers had small cuts on them and some bruising was already appearing.

“Speaking from experience, goose-whisperer?” I asked, cheerily.

Chantara tossed her head and glared at me haughtily. I couldn’t help laughing. She really had tried to catch the goose and it had backfired.

Also, I’m thinking about pulling out Chantara pretty soon. Sooo… if anyone’s character would be developed by a bit of murder… go ahead XD I actually really want to see how Kongar will react.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

calidris
    @calidris

“You don’t know what a goose is? Where are you from where there are no geese?” Kongar asked.  Chantara snorted disdainfully.  The Shrike smiled grimly.

Wouldn’t you like to know…

Kongar grinned at her mockingly.  “Well, farm girl, tell them.”

“Tell them yourself,” Chantara snapped.  Kongar raised his eyebrows as she gritted her teeth.

“That–” she flicked her wrist at a fat white goose, standing not too far from where the Shrike sat.  “Is called a goose. They’re the most vicious waterfowl on this side of hell. They have no inherent special powers unless you count aggression.”

“Speaking from experience, goose-whisperer?” Kongar asked cheerfully.  Chantara’s fingers were scored with tiny cuts and swollen bruises.

She tossed her head and glared at Kongar, who only laughed.

The Shrike shot a wary look at the goose.  The bird gazed back, eyes glinting maliciously.  He sighed and buried his face between his knees.

For once, he almost wished he was back in Spire.  He could see it now, the glow of the reactors broken against thousands of pipes and coils – the mechanical heart of the energy center.  He could almost feel the gentle hum of the machinery in his bones, the soft warmth radiating from the depths the reactors.

Perhaps not what most people would call a pleasant home, but it was nicer than the labs.

I’m so hungry…

A sharp pain suddenly pricked at his scalp.  The Shrike whipped around to see the goose standing behind him, a long lock of white hair pinned in its bill.

“Get out of here,” He swatted at the goose distractedly.  It lunged at his hand and hissed, glaring up at him with beady black eyes.  It turned slowly, snapping at another strand of hair.

“Oh, stop it,” His hand flew up as the tug bloomed in a needle-sharp explosion of pain.

That one was on purpose.

Are you that smart?  He glared down at the bird.

“I could kill you if I wanted,”

If I wanted…

The Shrike sighed and fished around his pocket – the one that didn’t contain the lethal weapon unceremoniously chucked at him upon his entry…

It’s time to go.

He gritted his teeth as his fingers closed on a forgotten bag of broken crackers.

Is it worth it?  The snack had been given to him by someone at the reactors – one of many small tokens of appreciation for deterring any would-be saboteurs.

I’m so, so hungry…

He sighed, reluctantly opening the bag.

At least food was guaranteed at the power plant. 

He gritted his teeth as his fingers scraped the bottom of the bag, closing in on a few crumbled crackers.  He slowly extended the paltry offering to the goose.

“Truce?”

*laughs as one fey*

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Meira blinked at the new stranger, watching everything that happened. Interesting to note the feathery adorable monster that bites everything is called ‘a goose’. She kinda tilts onto her spear as the silver-haired man buried his face in his knees. Now, Meira is a momfriend. A really baaad momfriend. The kind of momfriend that would coo over a supervillain if he tripped on his evil cape while trying to murder her.
    So when the big scary stranger swatted at the goose and then got bit every sympathetic nurturing-mom atom in her glass body went off.
    She wanted to hug him and pat his head and kiss him.
    “I could kill you if I wanted,” He muttered to the bird without the slightest conviction and Meira absolutely melted. Then he sighed and fished a bag out of his pocket, pulling out some kind of wafer-food she’d never seen before. She wondered what it tasted like.
    “Truce?” The goose started eating and Meira wandered over, like a hesitant puppy. In no time she plopped onto her knees in front of them and helped herself to a cracker, which made the goose bite at her hand but she soundly bopped it on the head, yanking her prize away and popping it into her mouth before the goose could stop her.
    It tasted bland and salty and a little dirty so she was content to just try one. So instead she grinned up at the stranger with wide innocent amethystine eyes.
    “You can call me Meira!” she said “Whatz your’s?”

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

calidris
    @calidris

“Truce?”  The goose snapped at the crackers, loudly honking as it ate.  The Shrike looked down at the bird with some mixture of disgust and curiosity.

Is it really that fat, or is that mostly feathers?

Perhaps if he fed it enough, he could see for himself.  The pigeons around Spire didn’t seem to mind if people touched them, but they were also quite sickly to begin with.

He jumped, snapped out of his thoughts by a soft touch on his hand.  He looked up to see a girl kneeling in front of him, snatching a cracker out of his hand.  His stomach dropped.

This is weird.

The girl swung at the goose as it snapped at her hand in protest.  She shoved the cracker in her mouth and grinned.

“You can call me Meira!” she said.  “What’s yours?”  Her purple eyes sparkled as she gazed up at him eagerly.

He shifted uncomfortably.

“Sasha.”

The idea of hand feeding this girl along side the goose was…distasteful, to say the least.

In what world is it ok for you to do that?

That’s it…

He surveyed her through narrowed eyes.  Her pearly skin and purple eyes were unlike anything he had seen before, although that wasn’t saying much.  She was clearly of a world foreign to him.

Perhaps in her world, this was a respectful greeting?

She meant no harm, either way.

His lips twitched in a wan smile.

“Nice to meet you, Meira.”

@this-is-not-an-alien
    your entry finally motivated me to find a proper name for him lol

*laughs as one fey*

Viewing 6 posts - 196 through 201 (of 201 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest