fb

Fantasy Writers

Villains’ Character Castle

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 206 total)
  • Author
    Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@rose-colored-fancy

Don’t feel bad about Chantara!  Þorunn is an interesting villain in her own right, but she loses some of that when I can’t contrast her with the heroes of her story.

Also of the three characters you expressed interest in, Galen actually isn’t a villain.  He’s more of a hero.  Morden and Acantha are both villainous, although it’s a lot more complicated with Acantha (she’s perhaps more messed up than even Chantara).

• This reply was modified 3 months, 1 week ago by Skylarynn.

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@skylarynn

Whew, I’m glad! I totally get about the villains being better if you can contrast them with the heroes.

And a character more messed up than Chantara?! This I gotta see! My final vote is for Acantha then!

@everyone

Hey, y’all. Sorry I haven’t been as active. Life is busy, but it should slow down after next week, so I’ll try to post more after that.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Skylarynn
    @skylarynn

@rose-colored-fancy  Acantha would be really interesting, since Karayan actually knows her…

@everyone So I have one vote for Ekavir and one vote for Acantha.  Any other votes?

"Remember, you go nowhere by accident. Wherever you go, God is sending you." - Rev. Peter R. Hale

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Yike! I’m late to my own castle!! 😛

Ooh, cool! Yep, she has like… five scenes. Total. XD And a personality and issues to fill an entire novel of her own XD And I find it kinda amusing/interesting that her voice is extremely… surrealistic? Confusing? Figurative? All of those things, I guess. I actually didn’t expect that of her, I expected her to have a more crisp, down-to-earth voice, but I guess she didn’t feel like it.

Ikr! Most assassins are very crisp and down-to-earth voiced. It’s one of the most interesting facets of her character that she’s so romantic under it all, she’s quite alive!

OH! He was that MC? I do think that was the right choice, what I’ve heard of Alessio is also totally interesting!

Lol yes! And I honestly didn’t even particularly like/connect with Connel in the first draft (which might be for the best lol…) but with Alessio to contrast with everybody he became a very sympathetic villain and Alessio is just soo fun to write with and I have the easiest time sliding my issues into him and working through them that way. So that he’s a very interesting/likable character is really comforting to me XD.

Acantha would be really interesting, since Karayan actually knows her… @everyone So I have one vote for Ekavir and one vote for Acantha.  Any other votes?

Ooh I go for Acantha I’d love to see the interaction between her and Karayan!

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

And all the Pawns were staring. And screaming. And well, total chaos in general with like all the dishes spattered everywhere and the cake–that blessed cake–oozing like a corpse on the top of the table.
    The party was all in ruins and well good luck recruiting Pawns now XD

Don't let the voices in your head drive you insane;only some of them can drive; most are underage

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ikr! Most assassins are very crisp and down-to-earth voiced. It’s one of the most interesting facets of her character that she’s so romantic under it all, she’s quite alive!

I’m so happy to hear that! It happened entirely by accident, she originally did have a very factual voice. It just kinda evolved through the castle XD

Lol yes! And I honestly didn’t even particularly like/connect with Connel in the first draft (which might be for the best lol…) but with Alessio to contrast with everybody he became a very sympathetic villain and Alessio is just soo fun to write with and I have the easiest time sliding my issues into him and working through them that way. So that he’s a very interesting/likable character is really comforting to me XD.

Yes! Alessio sounds awesome, and though Connel is kinda cool, Alessio is way more sympathetic!

@everyone

I’m back, y’all! I hope I can post more regularly now.

Without darkness, there is no light. If there was no nighttime, would the stars be as bright?

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Chantara

First things first. I had to prepare for anything that went wrong after this. If someone attacked me, I’d kill them, simple as that.

My steps were steady now. My mind was clearer. The world was still shaky and slippery, and I couldn’t quite catch hold of anything, but I could manage now.

My fingers slipped over the shelves. It took me too long to recognize the fabric. I tangled my fingers around a piece and pulled it down. The fabric poured into my arms, lighter than I was used to.

The weave was so fine I could barely feel it. It would take my parents months to weave a piece of this size. I shook my head, loosening the thoughts that had grabbed hold of me. My hair tumbled down and brushed my face and shoulders.

I drew the knife on my thigh, found the edge of the fabric, and slashed it. Normally, tearing it would be easy, but now I could only use one hand. I grabbed one side in my teeth and rip the fabric. The sound was satisfying. I repeated the process until I had a handful of narrow strips. They weren’t as neat as usual, but they were better than anything. I made sure I had plenty.

I crumpled them up and shoved them in the pouch at my belt. Under ordinary circumstances, I’d roll them neatly, but nothing about this was ordinary.

I picked up the smooth wooden pin that had fallen out of my hair. I twisted my thick hair into a tight bun and managed to pin it in place. It was lopsided, but out of my way.

Slowly, I inched toward the door. The noise had ceased. The fight must be over. Was Meira alright? It didn’t matter. I didn’t really care.

I unlatched the door and inched it open, light flooding into my dark closet. I slipped through the gap, closing the door behind me. I blinked against the bright light. Meira leaned on the wall, thick, glowing blue blood dripping out of her in a dozen places. That was all kinds of unnatural.

I felt exposed, open for attack, and so vulnerable I wanted to stab someone just to prove to myself I wasn’t. I didn’t give in to the temptation.

The castle spoke, but it was far away, the words only detached sounds that I didn’t recognize. My eyes drifted to the bright flecks of movement and noise. I hadn’t even noticed the Pawns were making a ruckus.

Connel stood opposite Meira, anger and arrogance oozing out of him like the blood out of Meira. He had done that to her. I knew the kind. I’d encountered them before.

The few steps seemed further than they should be. Reality was slightly skewed, just a little too far, a little too bright, a little too blurry. I couldn’t quite focus on Meira.

I dug in my pouch and tossed her a few of the bandages, then backed away so I was out of her and Connel’s. I felt Meira’s gaze more than I saw it.

Instinctively, I reached up and pulled my hood up so it shadowed my face. My hand was unnaturally cold, but at least I wasn’t trembling. It wasn’t to prevent them from recognizing me. My slight stature was enough to give me away, but I knew my appearance now would attract attention.

Someone, possibly Aydin, had said I looked almost as dead as my victim after an assignment. He was probably right. I was pale and my eyes were glassy. I didn’t want their pity, their attention, or their sympathy.

I just had to stick it out. It would be better soon.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

I’m so happy to hear that! It happened entirely by accident, she originally did have a very factual voice. It just kinda evolved through the castle XD

See yes! You have this careful detailed idea of what your character should be like and then you actually set them loose and they completely murder your plot and preconceived notions of them! Lol but I’m so glad her character’s grown this way, it’s fascinating.

Yes! Alessio sounds awesome, and though Connel is kinda cool, Alessio is way more sympathetic!

Lol yeah, Alessio is definitely way more sympathetic (I love my sweet, sarcastic, secretive lil’ cupcake!)

@everyone
    I’m considering pulling out Connel–he doesn’t appear until either the second book or later in the first book and I’m time crunching XD–and instead putting in an antihero (or villain, or hero, she hasn’t told me…) because I need to start using her in the story very soon. But I’m a little apprehensive about it because she is an lgbtqia character and I don’t know how overt she’ll be…
    Any advice? XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

See yes! You have this careful detailed idea of what your character should be like and then you actually set them loose and they completely murder your plot and preconceived notions of them! Lol but I’m so glad her character’s grown this way, it’s fascinating.

Thank you! LOL, every time!

I’m considering pulling out Connel–he doesn’t appear until either the second book or later in the first book and I’m time crunching XD–and instead putting in an antihero (or villain, or hero, she hasn’t told me…) because I need to start using her in the story very soon. But I’m a little apprehensive about it because she is an lgbtqia character and I don’t know how overt she’ll be…
    Any advice? XD

Go for it! What I’ve heard of her sounds very cool, I’d love to see how you write her!

@everyone

Since everyone else is taking the opportunity to switch out characters, I think I’ll do the same. I love Chantara, and I may leave her in a little while longer, but I want to bring in another character. I’ve discovered a lot about her, and I don’t think that she’ll be doing much more from now on.

Here are the options, vote on your favorite!

King Hakan. The big-bad-great-evil character and the king of the Kezbes (Chantara’s tribe). Sees himself as the savior of the world and all-around tragic hero, but he’s actually an idiot. He has an interesting backstory, but I need to flesh it out.

Lachlin. One of Chantara’s friends. He’s less of a villain than she is. He has genuinely good intentions, he just doesn’t have enough guts to act on them. I decided to upgrade his position. Before this, he was only mentioned in the books, now he gets a couple scenes. He’s shy and quiet.

Kongar. One of Chantara’s friends. I have no idea which direction his character is going XD Same thing as Lachlin, he’s getting an upgrade. All I know is that he’s probably more cheerful and outgoing than Chantara or Lachlin.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Go for it! What I’ve heard of her sounds very cool, I’d love to see how you write her!

Alright! I’d love to see how I write her too XD!

Since everyone else is taking the opportunity to switch out characters, I think I’ll do the same. I love Chantara, and I may leave her in a little while longer, but I want to bring in another character. I’ve discovered a lot about her, and I don’t think that she’ll be doing much more from now on.

Oooh that’s a hard set to choose from…maybe Kongar because he sounds more likely to “work with” the other characters as a “team” and that might encourage more interaction that doesn’t involve murder lol XD.

ok, I guess this is my new baby  😅
    Character Name: Sloane (Daesyn) Amaris
    Age; ask her (that’s a dare not a suggestion XD) early thirties late twenties
    Occupation; warrior, adopted into Sioan Tribes by the thar (tribes’ leader) which is an odd status for a human, and sent to bind a war-alliance in matrimony and I don’t exactly know what her goal is she’s very unpredictable.
    Family Members and Significant Others; I think she has an adopted brother and is on fairly good terms with her adopted parents but feels like she has to earn her place while at the same time totally rejecting that idea
    Personality traits; classily not, I don’t even know how to describe her!, cunning but blunt, very very obstinate, has ambiguous morals, forcefully carefree and blithe but very dangerous, incredibly self-confident, unpredictable and enjoys being unpredictable very much, has a lot of moods, is an ability-born with shapeshifting abilities, she has two modes; completely blithe and reckless/utterly business and deadly calculating.
    Character history/origins; good question…
    Highest level of education; getting what she wants
    Physical traits; tall, lean muscles, light brown reddish hair, pointed nose, her left eye is pale blue but her right eye is green which is very distinctive because the legend in Casumbra is about this vigilante sort’ve shapeshifter, Takashi, who had green eyes and legend goes that somebody cursed his descendants so that only the first born sons of Takashi ever have green eyes (to perpetuate this revenge thing blah blah long–also unfinished–story) and the assumption is that green eyes means you inherit his cunning and it’s especially rare for women to have green eyes it’s supposed to be the sons and anyway it’s such a common story about Casumbra people say “you second son of Takashi” to mean “you sly dog!” and anyway pointless worldbuilding trivia XD
    Mannerisms; ok she has flawless posture and think something of a mock aristocratic air her mannerisms are just hysterical if anybody’s seen Treasure Planet something like Captain Amelia’s mannerisms with extra–deliberate–ironic “poshness”
    Biggest motivator; probably disaster she’s motivated by causing disaster she’s an adrenaline junkie
    Biggest fear; losing big
    Things he/she likes; dual wielding, dancing, excitement, braids, sarcasm
    Things he/she dislikes; strict rules, extremely serious people, dullness
    What does he/she like about him/herself? That she disregards public opinion Dislike? That she’s never satisfied
    What is his/her most prized possession?; her dual-wielding swords that have blue blades, ask her what she’s named them I have no idea XD
    What does this character’s voice sound like?; a curling accent kinda chipped and maybe a crisper variety of Dutch-English but not quite when she starts talking in my head I’m always like ‘what the heck is that?! I’ve never even heard a green accent before and what?! (actually green-white-black variably and it just never stops moving!!)’ so she has an interesting accent that idk…
    What five words best describe this character? Predict her if you dare

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

@this-is-not-an-alien

Ooh, Sloane sounds so cool! I can’t wait to meet her!

Oooh that’s a hard set to choose from…maybe Kongar because he sounds more likely to “work with” the other characters as a “team” and that might encourage more interaction that doesn’t involve murder lol XD.

Very valid point! Lachlin is just going to stand in a corner and observe everyone and Hakan is definitely going to be stubborn and uncooperative and kill someone if they don’t go with his plans, so I’m actually going to drop Kongar in! (Also, he’s going to be the most fun to write, so I’m going with that)

Here’s the character profile! (Interview style:)

(Name?) Kongar son of nobody and who-even-cares.

(Age?) Who’s counting? *Hesitates* I think about nineteen, but people always think I’m younger.

(Occupation?) *Grins* Who’s asking? I suppose you know already, but I’m a Servane Siya.

(Family members?) Once again, who even knows?

(Personality traits: I’m going to answer this one because he’s totally going to lie or exaggerate so much that nobody can figure it out. He’s way more cheerful than Chantara and doesn’t have nearly as many qualms about anything as she does. He’s very happy-go-lucky and has kind of decided that he’s going to die young anyway so he may as well have fun. He also believes morals are optional. Oddly charming and he knows how to get people to like him, but he absolutely can’t shut up. Ever. Always over-confident and extremely reckless. He has a quick temper, but not like Chantara where he’ll bottle it up and explode at some point, he’ll just immediately react and get it over with)

(Description: Shortish, about 5′ 7″, straight dark brown hair, dark olive skin, bright green eyes. Clothing kind of similar to Chantara.)

(Why did you join the Siya?) *Forced laugh* Did you see how well it pays?

(Biggest fear?) *Over-confident smirk* Try to find out. Bet you can’t. (Okay, he’s never telling me, but I think he fears misery and unhappiness. Maybe?)

Now you all know as little about him as I do XD That’s literally all I know XD I’m going to introduce him soon because this is going to be fun XD

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Kongar

The rope slipped between my fingers, scraping my hands raw. I let go and let myself drop. I hadn’t climbed too high, I’d probably be alright.

I twisted in midair, preparing for the fall. I had done this dozens of times. The rush of fear was exhilarating. I thudded into the ground and absorbed the momentum by immediately jumping to my feet. I grinned. I was going to try that again.

My smile changed into bemusement as I realized this wasn’t the wall where I’d been practicing. I should have climbed to the top and tried to hit a target from a higher vantage point. Knife throwing had always been one of my weaker points. I preferred to get up close.

This large room was absolute chaos. People were everywhere, bickering or glaring at each other. Everyone seemed to be in some state of fury or scheming.

I grinned and pulled one of my knives. I’d be fine. I probably didn’t have enough knives to hit everyone, but, oh well.

I shook back the hood of my tunic. It had fallen over my face in the fall.

A girl was bleeding sticky blue blood all over the floor while a man towered over her. I shot them an amused look and looked beyond them. A ruined cake lay on a table. I laughed, it was the most ridiculous thing I had ever imagined.

One of the shadows behind the blue-blooded girl twitched. I raised my eyebrows. The situation was becoming more and more amusing with every passing second.

“Kongar?” Chantara stepped out of the shadows. She was holding her right arm close to her and her clothing was spattered with blood.

I grimaced. That was hardly fair. Why had she gotten another assignment? She’d just been on one, and I’d been idle for weeks. It was clearly my turn.

“Hello, m’dear,” I said, flippantly. She hated it when I called her that, so I made a point of doing it as often as possible. I did speak in Kezbe, just in case.

She pulled her hood away. She’d definitely been on an assignment. She looked like she’d seen a ghost.

“What are you doing here?” she asked. Her voice was soft and sharp, as usual. Even in her somewhat haggard state, she was strikingly pretty. Probably one of the prettiest girls I had ever seen.

“I just dropped in,” I said, then grinned. “Literally. These floors are awfully hard.”

She didn’t smile. As usual.

“Are you moping again? Honestly, it’s not that big of a deal,” I said.

Chantara scowled but didn’t reply.

“So, what’s going on?” I asked.

Chantara briefly filled me in on what was happening. The entire situation struck me as ridiculously amusing. A goose? An invisible girl? A malevolent castle? A cat-human-creature that spoke Kezbe? I couldn’t suppress a laugh.

Chantara scowled.

“It isn’t funny,” she hissed.

“It is! Can’t you see?” I said, grinning.

She shook her head and stared back down at her slippers.

“Now, where did all that blood come from?” I asked. “Please tell me you were successful at least.”

Chantara shrugged, then winced. She had hurt her shoulder, apparently.

“It’s not mine. I didn’t kill her, at least,” she said, numbly.

I raised my eyebrows. Why was she relieved at that? It meant she’d have to do it again.

“Hey, Castle! Are you ignoring me?” I called, flippantly.

_______

He’s even more chaotic than I thought. This is going to be fun XD

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

Meira froze, instinctively catching the bandages Chantara tossed at her. Her hands shook, but she gratefully wove the bandages around her injuries, too touched by the kind gesture to mention she had an overabundance of bandages tucked in every pocket of her dark pink garments.
    Because she’s glass.
    “Darling oh darling are you hurt dearie?! Let me look at you!” The round clock-dressed Pawn almost instantly plucked her up cooing and petting her, apparently wholly unaffected by her glowing blue blood and her shiny glass skin.
    “Fine,” she grunted, uselessly puffing her damp black hair out of her face “I’m busting fine!”
    You’ll never belong. Glassfolk spattered across the world, you’re not human, you ain’t never be.
    “You shouldn’t–! Don’t bend over like that!” Clock-Pawn flurried as Meira huffed at painful breath, grabbing at the wall as she carefully bent over to retrieve her spear. But she lost her balance and the Pawn had to catch her. Meira cursed reflexively, scandalizing the Pawn who very forcefully sat her down and determined to clean her wounds and make her lie down. At this Meira howled oaths and protests, calling to attention several other Pawns who–rallied by Clock-Pawn– carried her to a bed in one of the many other rooms and insisted on caring for her with the utmost kindness. One even apologized profusely for the loss of the cake (Meira would eat it off the floor before she let it go to waste though) and somebody else took her spear so she wouldn’t leave!

“Hey, Castle!” The latest victim called “Are you ignoring me?”
    Lord Castle crackled with laughter across the entire hall.
    “My oh my, this one gets me! We’re here to enjoy ourselves right?!
    I like you, in fact, it’s teleportation! You’ll have to guess the other two goose properties but teleportation is the first, everyone welcome Kongar the Assassin to the Castle!”
    Like magic, mechanically, every Pawn clapped and turned to him; Pawns being programmed to obey an admin’s orders every time.

Rose
    @rose-colored-fancy

Chantara

The castle crackled. It sounded like an entirely wrong laugh.

“My oh my, this one gets me! We’re here to enjoy ourselves right?!
    I like you, in fact, it’s teleportation! You’ll have to guess the other two goose properties but teleportation is the first, everyone welcome Kongar the Assassin to the Castle!”

I cringed as the castle blasted this information to kingdom come. Not that Kongar had taken any trouble to hide it. He’d drawn a knife as soon as he landed, for goodness sake. I remembered how carefully I’d hidden my true intentions and identity and reflexively shook my head in disdain.

The Pawns, in unsettling unison, turned to him.

Kongar’s one true love was causing a scene. He finally had one big enough to suit him.

He grinned and swept into an exaggerated bow.

“The correct term is Siya, but I’ll let you get away with it this time,” he said, good-humoredly.

“So, we’re chasing a teleporting goose,” he said, the perpetual amusement edging his voice.

“Seems like it. Stop drawing so much attention,” I mumbled.

Kongar jumped back in exaggerated horror.

“Attention? Me? I would never. The thought never once occurred to me,” he said. I winced at how loudly he spoke. And in the common language as well. He really couldn’t keep anything to himself.

He grinned.

“Do you even realize how dangerous this situation is?” I hissed. “There’s a very good chance that we’re going to die.”

Kongar laughed.

“I’m counting on it, m’dear. What else is new?”

I bristled, annoyance overtaking me. The mere thought that Kongar was considered more experienced than I was was utterly ludicrous. Even though Kongar was two years my senior, I regarded him as an annoying younger brother.

Kongar shot a curious look around him, mischief sparking in his eyes.

“Who do you think would have the funniest reaction if I threw a knife at them?”

I shot him an exasperated look.

“You’re going to get both of us killed.”

“I was planning to miss,” he said, feigning superiority.

“You don’t have the skills to miss on purpose,” I said. That was entirely true. Knife throwing wasn’t Kongar’s strong suit.

Kongar sighed.

“I wish I could disagree. But I have other talents,” he said, with great conviction.

I let out a sharp, mocking laugh.

“Name one.”

Kongar hesitated, then grinned.

“I’m sure I can come up with something. You’ll have to give me some time.”

I smiled. I had to. However frustrating Kongar could be, it was impossible to stay angry at him.

“Now, you didn’t answer my question. Who would have the funniest reaction? My money’s on that one,” he said, nodding to Karayan.

I sighed.

“Do you realize that you’re the most annoying person I’ve ever met?”

He nodded, cheerfully.

“You’d better start on the goose hunt,” I said, dismissively.

Kongar laughed again.

“How are we supposed to figure out the goose’s powers?” Kongar called, to everyone in general. “I mean, there are pretty much endless possibilities. Where is it anyway?

I shrank back into the shadows. I wanted to be nowhere near Kongar if and when he got attacked.

Cathy
    @this-is-not-an-alien

@rose-colored-fancy I love your annoying villain!
    Ok, enter Sloane! *deep breath*

Her head cocked, her smile tilted, and her back straight but just curved flexibly, Sloane caught her opponent’s blade, back nearly cracking under the weight of the sword. Her sparring partner branch web spit the weight of his bark body tangled from the ground to several trees behind. A second, and she winks so only her “clever green” eye is open. Right before she dives under the blade, tapping the root-branch–or trunk–with the end of her midnight blue sword.
    “Dead.” She said, her accent chipping the word. Almost in an instant Sloane banded her dual blades across the back of her waist again, standing as straight as a wire and her hands hooked behind her back becoming just barely asymmetric by quirking her head to the side to smirk up at her dryiniad brother.
    He grumbled in dryiniadian, one of his eyes vanishing from its bark knot to the other side of his branch which had the effect of visually lengthening his “body” as most humans would equate it to. His body clicked and vibrated rapidly which was dryiniadian body language but with her human hearing she still could barely differentiate well between anger and happiness; both of which spawned excessive clicking. He was excited, she thought, but she didn’t quite know.
    “Oh posh! No need to be a bad sport, being beaten by a human,” she said “we are the superior race after all.”
    It had been a running banter of more and less friend competition between the races of Casumbra. From her time with dryiniad emotional communication (lacking normal tone of voice) her “posh” sounded more like “push” and “sport” like “spot” and every couple words seemed to pop or curl cheerily, particularly her ‘t’s and ‘d’s.
    He snorted, which sounded like a rumble, vibrating with laughter. It was the funniest sound she ever heard because it terrified most of “her” race and the irony was palpable to her. But it didn’t do because it hurt her ears and shook the ground a little. All the same it was such a pleasant sound to her, and the last thing she heard before appearing in the Hall of the Castle…

…And she blinked and skated her glaze around the scene, and it was quite a scene. And the first thing she heard was;
    “How are we supposed to figure out the goose’s powers?” Sloane quirked an eyebrow, not sure what a goose was, where she was, or who that impudent boy was, but she liked it. “I mean, there are pretty much endless possibilities. Where is it anyway?”
    “For a more, perhaps, fitting question where precisely am I, you person?” She said utterly bemused.

I’m experimenting with how I “show” my accents. Can @anybody tell me whether they “heard” Meira’s or Sloane’s better or smoother?

Viewing 15 posts - 166 through 180 (of 206 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest