Fantasy Writers

Time travel collaborative story

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
  • Author
    Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

I googled what people wore in the 1800s so I could get an idea of what Cassie should wear.  I was kinda hoping some girls wore overalls (I felt like that fit Cassie better) but it said they didn’t really start wearing overalls til the early 1900s.  So, do y’all  think a simple, long-sleeved, brown dress with tall leather boots (maybe some sort of belt, too) would be historically accurate enough?

"A writer is a world trapped in a person. " ~Victor Hugo

Wingiby Iggiby
      @wingiby-iggiby

Thank you Thwapling! I’m glad it wasn’t boring and that we have “officially” started! I think it would be fine if they met at their home, because then they would be sure to see each other.

As for the clothes, I think your description fits!

God is great, milk-shakes are good, and people are crazy.

Mischievous Thwapling
        @mischievous-thwapling

You’re welcome! 😀

Yeah, I think that meeting at the house would work pretty well.

And thank you! I’m glad that the clothes work!

Mischievous Thwapling
          @mischievous-thwapling

Fun fact: In theory, going forward in time could be possible, though it’s not exactly ‘time travel.’ If you traveled at the speed of light, time would slow down for those around you and seem to speed up for you.  So, if you spent 5 minutes traveling at the speed of light, 80 years could pass for those, well, not  traveling that fast.  But so far no theories have been presented for going back in time.  Since we’re doing a time travel story and all, I just thought it’d be fun to share that.  But I don’t remember every detail (like the numbers for how much time would pass) so I just told you the main idea that I remembered. So if you want to look it up, you could get it more straightforward and in better detail and more accurate.  I just told you what I remembered. 😛

Mischievous Thwapling
            @mischievous-thwapling

Also, Wingiby, did you base Hutch’s brothers off the ones in the book ‘Across Five Aprils’? ‘Cause in that book, weren’t the main character’s brothers in the same situation? (Where one fought for the south, and the other fought for the Union)

Wingiby Iggiby
              @wingiby-iggiby

Oh man, that’s so cool about the travel into the future (but also sorta creepy…:P)! Maybe we could just pretend it doesn’t happen if we go forward like that in our story….

And yes!!! You read that book!?!? I really love it! I’m reading it for school, and am enjoying it; thought I might as well use my fleeting knowledge before I forget it 😛 Anyhow, I’m impressed you caught on to that!

And sorry I haven’t been posting a lot. I need to work on that…

Wingiby Iggiby
                @wingiby-iggiby

I’m over here growling because that first face-sticking-out-a-tongue-on-my-post-above didn’t turn out!! 😛 There.

Mischievous Thwapling
                  @mischievous-thwapling

Yeah, when I first heard it I thought it was creepy and cool, too 😛  Yes, I  think that’s a good idea.  But speaking of which, is going forward  in time a thing in our story? I’ve been wondering about that.

I READ  IT FOR SCHOOL, TOO!!!!! AND I ALSO LOVED IT!!! (probably enough capitals and exclamation points 😛 ) And, it’s been awhile since I’ve read it, but did you switch the names around? (for the older brothers, I mean) And thanks!

You’re good! At first, I hardly posted on Story Embers, but I’ve been trying to do it a bit more, so yeah, I get it.  But, I’ll confess, I’ve been checking it a lot and impatiently waiting your response.  (I guess I’m just a wee bit excited 😛 ).

Ha, that’s so funny!! I love those faces 😛 😛 😛

Wingiby Iggiby
                    @wingiby-iggiby

Huh. I’m not sure. Maybe the super-villain could be from the future — and is looking for notorious allies because everybody in his day and age are goody goodies. 😛

And YES!!!!! That book is SO good (and you can never have to many exclamation points)! I didn’t change Eb around (he was the cousin they took in)… But one of the brothers was Tom, and I named this one Tod. Then there was Bill and John, but Hutch has only two bros.

Don’t worry, when I first got on The Wingfeather Forum, I was CONSTANTLY checking so I probably wore my phone down… So don’t worry, It’ll wear off eventually. But I don’t mind, and I totally get it. 😉 And when you said “wee bit excited” I heard it in my mind with a Scottish accent. That is how my brain works.

And I love smilies too! 😀

Mischievous Thwapling
                      @mischievous-thwapling

Ooooh, I like that idea, Wingiby! But by future, do you mean when Cassie and Percy live? Or farther ahead? If the villain lives in the same time period as Cassie and Percy, he could use their time machine.  Maybe he’ll break into the their house and threatens their parents so they help him, otherwise he’ll kill them and/or Percy and Cassie.  IDK if this would  work or if you guys like it… just thought I’d throw it out there.

I know!! I love it!! Ahh, I remember the names now. Thank you for explaining that! Also, do you use a curriculum for school, and if so, which one? (‘Cause I thought you said you’re homeschooled, but if I’m remembering wrong, sorry!)

Yeah, that’s how I am here, and how I was on there 😛

Ha! With a Scottish accent?! That’s sooo funny! And, yes, that’s also how my brain usually functions as well 😛

I hope Peter gets back on here. I haven’t seen him in awhile 🙁

Crazywriter
                        @crazywriter

Hey guys

Sorry havent been very active lately. But im ready to get this story on the road!

Mischievous Thwapling
                          @mischievous-thwapling

YAAAAY!! Peter has returned! I’m so glad you’re back!

Crazywriter
                            @crazywriter

So heres my first post.

Percy suited up, in the orange and black, fiberglass timesuit, that would protect him on his travels. He made his way to the time-machine, and walked in, and he saw his sister Cassie sitting in one of the seats, a shocked look on her face.

“Thought you’d be going alone?” He said

Crazywriter
                              @crazywriter

also Percy will be going in, dressed as a confederate soldier, as he has to complete a report on the infamous general Stonewall Jackson.

Mischievous Thwapling
                                @mischievous-thwapling

Nice, Peter! That was great! Ha ha, I liked that bit where Percy surprised Cassie with him coming; that was funny. 😛  And, oooh, I like that time suit idea!!  This might be far-fetched, so don’t hesitate to vote we don’t do this, but what if the time suit kinda transforms into the clothes which fit the time period? Like they push a button, and the time suit appears to be normal clothing for the time period?

Got it, I like that idea (about Percy doing a report on Stonewall Jackson and stuff)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 145 total)
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                Do NOT follow this link or you will be banned from the site!

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Sign up below to learn how to ace story structure.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Discover What Readers Secretly Want

We asked 300+ readers what elements rivet them to a story and which turn them off.

Enter your email to get the scoop!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You've Got Cliches in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a four-step process for ripping cliches out of your novels.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Authentic Characters Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have Successfully Subscribed!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

You can download the entire Evoking Reader Empathy series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to craft characters readers can actually relate to.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Stop Forgetting to Develop Your Characters' Worldviews

If you don’t know your character’s worldview, how will you write them realistically without turning them into puppets?

Use our questionnaire to give your characters greater depth.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest