fb

Fantasy Writers

Ninjanaria Chapter Two: Magic?

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Beth Darlene
    @beth20

@shiningscribe

Here is an updated version of chapter two!

Chapter Two: Magic?

Karen stared in horror at the swirl of black water where her brother had been only a minute ago.

“What the heck just happened?!” she gasped.

Running down the slope she started to help Jered, search for Tim.

What felt like hours passed.

Karen climbed out of the water sopping wet, Jered following. Ana climbed over the rocks towards them.

“What will happen?” she asked, “will we ever see him again?” she started to sob.

Karen hugged her to her chest, “Oh Ana I don’t know.”

Jered stood up, “We have to go get help.”

He pulled Ana to her feet, wiping her eyes Karen followed them back up the trail.

“They should be here in a few minutes,” their mom said, hanging up the phone.

Karen glanced at the clock, it had been thirty minutes since Tim had disappeared. Their mom had been on the phone with the cops.

Jered was pacing, and Ana had fallen asleep on the couch exhausted after the hiking and then the sobbing.

Karen was lost in thought.  What the world, how did he just disappear like that, it doesn’t even make sense. The water didn’t even go up to my waist!

Just then she heard a car pull up. Looking out the window, she noticed a cop car sitting in the driveway. A middle-aged man stepped out, looking very calm and fit.

“Mom he’s here,” she said.

Her mom glanced out the window and ran to the door.

That sure was fast.

The man greeted her mom, spoke into his radio, then walked off towards the pond. Karen opened the door and followed.

Jered looked up, just as his sister closed the door behind her. He wanted to follow, but knew someone had to stay with Ana. He was confused. He didn’t understand how someone could disappear in such shallow water. Hours passed and still, he waited. Ana finally woke up but didn’t want to go anywhere near the water.

Jered honestly couldn’t blame her. He had dozed off a few times but was trying hard not to. I wonder what happened to him?

He felt his eyelids growing heavier. Then pretty soon he was out like a light bulb.

Jered pushed through dense undergrowth. He didn’t know where he was going or why his cousin, Silas, was with him. But he knew somewhere up ahead was a clearing and a pond.

Suddenly he emerged into the clearing. The small muddy pond stretched before them and he realized he was sinking down

down

down.                                                                                                                                                

Panic started to grip his body.

He was unable to swim.

Then it all started to change.

Appearing beside him, was a man, dressed all in brown. Jered immediately recognized him.

Ethan.

Jered’s body felt weird. No, he had nobody. He was just a spirit, floating in someone else’s body. He couldn’t control his limbs or his mind. Nothing belonged to him. He was an alien, an invasive species. And he didn’t like it.

Then he was talking, but the voice was not his own. An older, lower, eviler voice was emanating from the being he possessed.

“The wizards are almost ready, Ethan.”

Ethan smiled “I almost have the boy,” he said.

Jered was pleased. Yes, his mind purred.

“No!” he wanted to shout, but couldn’t.

Then he started laughing.

Jered’s eyes flew open. He was cold and clammy all over.

He still sat on the couch, but someone had removed Ana. He glanced at the clock, he had been asleep for an hour.

His dream was still vivid in his mind, making his skin crawl.

Seated on the chair opposite him was his mother.

She was crying.

Jered’s heart stopped. Had they found his brother’s body?

Looking closer he noticed in her hand was a piece of paper. It was half crumpled and he could only make out the words,

Dear Jered,

“Mom?”

She looked up then quickly shoved the letter in her pocket.

“Mom,” he said again “did..did he find a body?”

She smiled, but it wasn’t a real smile. “No, no he didn’t.”

Jered didn’t know what to say. He was burning with curiosity about the letter she was hiding. But he didn’t want to upset her by asking.

“Mom,” he ventured. “What was the piece of paper you were holding?”

She stiffened “Nothing Jered, nothing at all.”

Then she turned around and walked off towards her bedroom. A faraway look in her eyes.

Jered slowly rose to his feet.

Running up the stairs, he peeked into Karen’s bedroom. She lay face down on her bed.

“Karen?” he whispered.

She glanced up and realizing who it was, sat up. “Come in.”

Jered walked in and sat next to her on the bed. They sat in silence for a minute deep in thought.

“Jered, no one can find him,” Karen finally said.

Jered sighed, “I know,” he said.

Ana roused by their voices, slid into the room, and climbed up on the bed.

“I’ve been thinking,” Karen explained, “that maybe, now listen, and please don’t laugh, just maybe…”

“It’s magic?” Jered interrupted.

Karen looked at him. “Yeah,” she said.

Ana looked flabbergasted then burst into laughter. But as she realized they weren’t joining in she stopped.

“Wait, are you guys serious?”

Jered sighed. “Yeah, we are.”

She looked from, Jered to Karen, and back again.

“Wait what?”

Jered smiled “We, well at least I, think that maybe when Tim sank, he went into another world or something.”

“That’s why we couldn’t follow, at least not yet anyway” Karen added.

“I plan on going back tomorrow, and seeing if I can follow him,” Jered declared.

Both girls looked at him questioningly. “And how do you plan on doing that?” Ana asked.

Jered shrugged. “I don’t know exactly, I’m only guessing.”

That night Jered snuck downstairs.

He was heading for his mom’s room. It was only across the hall and Jered could see she wasn’t awake because no light spilled through the door frame. Sneaking up, he put his ear to the door and holding his breath, listened. It was silent, except the regular breathing, that told him she was asleep.

He turned the handle and quietly opened the door. The full moon shone in through the open window illuminating the room and its occupant. There on the floor were the pants she had been wearing that day, the one’s she had stuck the letter in. Jered searched the pockets and it didn’t take long to find the piece of paper. Then quickly he went out if the room and closed the door behind him.

Running upstairs he sat on his bed and unfolded the letter.

Jered sat there stunned, the letter was from his dad.

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Beth Darlene
    @beth20

Chapter Two: Magic?

Jered stared in horror at the swirl of black water where his brother had been only a minute ago.

“What the heck just happened?!” he gasped.

Knees trembling he ran farther into the water. He had to find Tim.

Karen splashed into the water beside him and started to frantically call out Tim’s name.

What felt like hours passed.

Jered climbed out of the water sopping wet, Karen followed. Their breathing harsh and quick. Ana climbed over the rocks towards them.

“What will happen?” she asked, her voice shaking. “Will we ever see him again?” she started to sob.

Karen hugged her to her chest, trying to keep her own tears down. “Oh Ana I don’t know.”

Jered stood up, “We have to go get help.”

He pulled Ana to her feet, wiping her eyes Karen followed him back up the trail.

“They should be here in a few minutes,” their mom said, hanging up the phone.

Jered glanced at the clock. It had been thirty minutes since Tim had disappeared. Their mom had been on the phone with the cops.

He started pacing. Clenching his hands into fists. Somehow he had failed Tim, he hadn’t stopped him in time. He glanced over at his sisters. Ana had fallen asleep on the couch exhausted after the hiking and then the sobbing. Karen he could tell was berating herself also. She sat on the couch watching out the window anxiously.

Jered couldn’t understand. How did he just disappear like that? It doesn’t even make sense! The water didn’t even go up to my waist!

Karen jumped up and ran to the window. “Mom, he’s here!”

He looked in her direction. Standing outside was a cop. His mom glanced out the window and ran to the door.

The man greeted his mom, spoke into his radio, then walked off towards the pond.

Jered looked up as his sister ran after his mom. He wanted to follow but knew someone had to stay with Ana.

Hours passed and still, he waited. Ana finally woke up but she didn’t want to go anywhere near the water.

Jered honestly couldn’t blame her. He had dozed off a few times but was trying hard not to. I wonder what happened to him?

He felt his eyelids growing heavier. Then pretty soon he was out like a light bulb.

Jered pushed through dense undergrowth. He didn’t know where he was going or why his cousin, Silas, was with him. But he knew somewhere up ahead was a clearing and a pond.

Suddenly he emerged into the clearing. The small muddy pond stretched before them and he realized he was sinking down

down

down.

Panic started to grip his body.

He was unable to swim.

Then it all started to change.

Appearing beside him, was a man, dressed all in brown. Jered immediately recognized him.

Ethan.

Jered’s body felt weird. No, he had no body. He was just a spirit, floating in someone else’s body. He couldn’t control his limbs or his mind. Nothing belonged to him. He was an alien, an invasive species. And he didn’t like it.

Then he was talking, but the voice was not his own. An older, lower, eviler voice was emanating from the being he possessed.

“The wizards are almost ready, Ethan.”

Ethan smiled “I almost have the boy,” he said.

Jered was pleased. Yes, his mind purred.

“No!” he wanted to shout, but couldn’t.

Then he started laughing.

Jered’s eyes flew open. He was cold and clammy all over.

He still sat on the couch, but someone had removed Ana. He glanced at the clock, he had been asleep for an hour.

His dream was still vivid in his mind, making his skin crawl.

Seated on the chair opposite him was his mother.

She was crying.

Jered’s heart stopped. Had they found his brother’s body?

Looking closer he noticed in her hand was a piece of paper. It was half crumpled and he could only make out the words,

Dear Jered,

“Mom?”

She looked up and quickly shoved the letter in her pocket.

“Mom,” he said again. “Did..did he find a body?”

She smiled, but it wasn’t a real smile. “No, no he didn’t.”

Jered didn’t know what to say. He was burning with curiosity about the letter she was hiding. But he didn’t want to upset her by asking.

“Mom,” he ventured. “What was the piece of paper you were holding?”

She stiffened. “Nothing Jered, nothing at all.”

Then she turned around and walked off towards her bedroom. A faraway look in her eyes.

Jered slowly rose to his feet.

Running up the stairs, he peeked into Karen’s bedroom. She lay face down on her bed.

“Karen?” he whispered.

She glanced up and realizing who it was, sat up. “Come in.”

Jered walked in and sat next to her on the bed. They sat in silence for a minute deep in thought.

“Jered, no one can find him,” Karen finally said.

Jered sighed, “I know,” he said.

Ana roused by their voices, slid into the room, and climbed up on the bed.

“I’ve been thinking,” Karen explained, “that maybe, now listen, and please don’t laugh, just maybe…” “It’s magic?” Jered interrupted. Karen looked at him, “Yeah,” she said.

Ana looked flabbergasted then burst into laughter. But as she realized they weren’t joining in she stopped.

“Wait, are you guys serious?”

Jered sighed, “Yeah we are.”

She looked from, Jered to Karen, and back again.

“Wait what?”

Jered smiled “We, well at least I, think that maybe when Tim sank, he went into another world or something.”

“That’s why we couldn’t follow, at least not yet anyway” Karen added.

“I plan on going back tomorrow, and seeing if I can follow him,” Jered declared.

Both girls looked at him questioningly. “And how do you plan on doing that?” Ana asked.

Jered shrugged. “I don’t exactly know, I’m only guessing.”

That night Jered snuck downstairs.

He was heading for his mom’s room. It was only across the hall and Jered could see she wasn’t awake because no light spilled through the door frame. Sneaking up, he put his ear to the door and holding his breath, listened. It was silent, except the regular breathing, that told him she was asleep.

He turned the handle and quietly opened the door. The full moon shone in through the open window illuminating the room and its occupant. There on the floor were the pants she had been wearing that day, the one’s she had stuck the letter in. Jered searched the pockets and it didn’t take long to find the piece of paper. Then quickly he went out if the room and closed the door behind him.

Running upstairs he sat on his bed and unfolded the letter.

Jered sat there stunned, the letter was from his dad.

Jominkreesa! For the weirdos who know what it means! 😉 I love you guys!

Viewing 2 posts - 16 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest