fb

Fantasy Writers

Is anyone interested in collaborating on a story?

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 622 total)
  • Author
    Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

So it goes something like this, right?

1. Contestants arrive at whatever-the-ship’s-name-is and get settled in
    2. Meet everybody party, where they are secretly judged on their democracy skills (meet The Kid/Ember?)
    3. First morning & first game (perhaps judicial?)
    4. Second game (maybe science?)
    5. Third game (can we do TOU here, or maybe even earlier? I have a plan for Vika that will add conflict as soon as it’s fulfilled. Massive conflict.)
    6. Discussion with Vika about aforementioned plan
    7. Fourth game (medical?)
    8. Fifth game (legislative?)
    9. Sixth game (technology?)
    10. Seventh game (diplomacy – fake)
    11. Climax: Eighth game (military) and winner announcements
    12. Feast to celebrate the winners; winners are introduced to their mentors (do y’all remember the thing where they’re apprenticed to the former Branch winners, and eventually they’ll take over that branch of the government?)
    13. Losers disappear (*evil cackle*)

Of course there’s more stuff, like discussions between characters, foreshadowing about Andor and probably some suspicious interactions with Andor, etc, but this is what I had planned mostly for Vika. What about y’all? What else is there?

"For love is strong as death." -God

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@joelle-stone @mischievous-thwapling

I think that’s pretty much everything… the ship is the Resilience, and we can definitely do the TOU whenever works best for you.

Do we have a definite choice for each game? I know a few are well set, but I’m still not sure what exactly we chose for some of them.

Lol, maybe Vika and Sikya should form some sort of sisterhood-pact-thing because they’re both pretty hardcore and dedicated to their countries, and seem to give off that tough-lady vibe. I feel like they’d either be best friends or mortal enemies (or both). (I also just noticed that their names sound kind of similar… very similar actually…)

Does the game-ship stop on any planets to refuel? Because visiting other worlds could potentially lead to some adventure for the characters.

Don’t the losers disappear as they lose the game? They’ll get eliminated, and then no one really knows where they go or what happened to them, and they’re actually being held somewhere in the Resilience until they can be sold into slavery or something.

Who all is in Menace64 again? I know that it had eight members, but is everyone who was playing those characters still here?

Looking back I see that there a lot of questions in this post. I assure you, they are for developmental purposes. I’m not as lost and clueless as I may seem. 😅

“…I’m not the same person that I was…”
    “Some folks only grow more beautiful.”

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@winter_rose @joelle-stone

List looks good, Kinnan!! Thx!

Does the game-ship stop on any planets to refuel? Because visiting other worlds could potentially lead to some adventure for the characters.

True! But I think we’d have to be careful to not go down bunny trails that don’t forward the plot XD I heard someone say once that almost every single thing that happens in a book should forward the plot in some way, so… But maybe the adventures would help with some sort of character arc thingamabobs? Idk.

Don’t the losers disappear as they lose the game? They’ll get eliminated, and then no one really knows where they go or what happened to them, and they’re actually being held somewhere in the Resilience until they can be sold into slavery or something.

I believe you’re right.

"I threw stones at the stars, but the whole sky fell."

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Is your profile picture a drawing of a certain dragon in a certain series? Did you draw it?

Yes, it is a certain drawing of a certain dragon from a certain series…. A dragon with awesome fires scales, in fact, whose name may or may not start with “P” and end with an “eril.” And yes, a certain Evil Scientist may have drawn it…. (I’m not exactly happy with the drawing, but because I’m not great art, it was the best I could do 🙂 )

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@mischievous-thwapling

But I think we’d have to be careful to not go down bunny trails that don’t forward the plot XD

True… maybe they discover some sort of plot when they catch Ember/the Kid meeting with one of his cohorts, or something.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@winter_rose @melodyjoy @mischievous-thwapling,

Hey, I’m gonna be gone until Sunday at the earliest, but probably Monday. 🙂

Thwapling: Ooh, she TOTALLY ROCKS LIKE CAN I JUST BURN YOUR EYEBALLS OUT! XD And you’re totally great at art! I stink at it. Seriously. The best thing that I can draw is letters. 😛

@winter_rose

Yeah, catch The Kid on another planet! We should do that in Part 2, though, so that readers can get attached to him and then we can break their hearts. *evil cackle*

Ooh, and that would be cool to have the losers disappear. I think you’re right on that.

BTW, I can’t remember, what’s the way we eliminate people? Is each person trying out for a certain branch or just competing in all of them?

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@joelle-stone

Umm, I don’t exactly remember, but I’m pretty sure they were trying out for all of them. A character could have a personal goal to get a specific branch, but I think that the point of the games games is to see who out of all the players would be best for each branch.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@winter_rose,

Okay, sounds good to me!

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

Taking Votes on the Games:

Military Branch – The Final Battle

1. Free-for-all, chose or build whatever weapons and armor you wish. You can defeat a player by knocking them off one of the many platforms of that specific arena layout, or making them surrender to you. Places are given depending on how many players you defeat.
    2. Each player has a map that shows holographic armies, and they have to use the best tactic to defeat their enemy. They either fight a computer program or another player.
    3. Have two phases for Military. The first phase is holographic thingy, and the second phase is the top two contestants picking sides and having a full out battle with strategy and all that good stuff.
    4. The players get a small squadron of robots to fight for them, and then they and their team get like an hour to study the battlefield-arena and map out a battle plan/ strategy. The players with the current highest score on each team are the two generals on each side, and then the lower ranking players descend in rank under them. Whoever wipes out the enemy or causes them to surrender wins the round. Throughout the game the Judges will call out players who make a mistake and demote them, and players who perform particularly well get promoted, helping the better players rise to the top. Whichever two emerge as general at the end of a time limit must engage in one-on-one combat to determine the winner.

Scientific Branch – The <i>Labyrinth</i>

1. Get out of the rigged maze without falling into a trap. Combat is allowed, and dirty tricks permitted to delay other players. First out of the maze wins, followed by second, third, and so on. Traps involve sciency subjects such as:
      1. Chemistry — mix a certain chemical.
      2. Physics — get a model of atoms or whatever to interact correctly.
      3. Biology — type out short reports on each life-form and how they function.
      4. Geology — record the way your planet’s surface has changed over time.
      5. Astronomy — name as many heavenly bodies, stars, black holes; whatever is up there I dunno as you can.

(Vote on the most common science trap to have – i.e. Astronomy, Physics, etc.)

Technology Branch – The Mechanical Battle

1. Fight a mechanical creature. You defeat the creature by finding the robotic beast’s power switch, protected by a computer or something technological like that, then power it down, get the collar off, and do all of that without getting yourself injured or killed.

(Don’t vote for this one, this is just for informational purposes)

Diplomatic Branch – The Race

1. The government provides hover boards, hover-blades, hover bikes, and a few other small vehicles. Weapons and combat are allowed, but sabotage is discouraged. Points are determined by which place you win, but also collecting several items scattered about the race course. There are also several impediments and/or traps about the track to slow players down. Impediments may include having to talk your way through something.
    2. The Judges are sneaky here and judge the players on how they react during the meet-your-fellow-contestants party, while telling the contestants that they will be judged during the Race
    3. Get rid of the race, and during the party the players may have to:
      1. Give a speech
      2. Settle some sort of planned argument between major supporters
      3. Give speech on plan to settle argument

(If you vote #3, vote for the sub-category too)

Judicial Branch – The Living Battle

1. Fight a living creature. You defeat it by removing a restraining collar from the creature. You can defeat others’ creatures as well. Places are given when all of the creatures are defeated.
      The first round, the contestants compete against animals. Whoever can defeat his/her animal moves on to the next round, where the player battles in hand-to-hand combat with other competitors who have made it to the 2nd round. Eliminations take place, when the loser is unable to fight any more, is wounded, or is killed.
    2. A 200 question pop quiz on the Laws of the Galactic Council.
    3. The players are paired and each person in the pair has to judge their teammate’s fighting skills as they battle an animal, then write a report to see how well they observe.
    4. The players go through an imaginary (or virtual reality) court-room trial with them as a judge.
    5. They have to judge other contestants as they fight and make sure they act according to whatever rules those trying out for Legislative make up, then come up with punishments if a person slips.

Legislative Branch – Touch

1. Touch another person, and in turn they become the tagger. There is a time limit on the match, and at the end players win their places depending on how many times they were tagged and how many people they tagged.
      After tagging a person, you inherit all of their cards. At the end of the match, you must solve a mind puzzle with the cards. Whoever figures it out, gets those points added to their score.

1. The mind-puzzle is about the laws of certain galaxies
    2. The players have to write a new constitution for some theoretical moon-colony or town and they get judged on the quality of it.
    3. The players start a game with weapons, armor, and literally no other rules. Throughout the game the players get to program new rules into the system (via some sort of portable keypad) as often as they want, and all the players are held accountable to those rules. There are limits to these rules, such as telling everyone to surrender or to freeze or to not touch you. Kind of like the government can’t just demand that everyone obey a crazy law that only benefits them. The rules have to be fair and yet complement rule-maker’s skills so that they have an advantage. Whoever is the last standing wins.

Medical Branch – Infection

1. Each player gets a disc and must attach it to another player while avoiding getting one attached to themselves.
    2. The players have to pin a person to the ground and wrap a wound or something.
    3. Each player gets a virus sample and have to file a full medical report (symptoms, severity of sickness, way it affects different people, ect.) and then have to develop a cure/ antivirus for it in enough time to save their patient.
    4. Each disc is color-coded to match a certain disease or wound that you have to know the cure for before being able to attach the cured disease/wound on another player. Maybe you swap discs, and you try to give your cured one to someone else so you can get an un-cured one and work on that? That way you have to solve it fast before your un-cured disc is swapped with another?

TOU Branch – The Obstacle Course

1. Perform the best in an all-out, state of the art obstacle course filled with the most difficult terrain and equipment to traverse. The idea is that you have to go through the obstacles course, but to actually succeed you have to find a piece of info (listening to a conversation, finding a note, something along those lines) and deliver it safely to the end. You will be chased.
    2. The players have to deliver a very important piece of information. They are given an objective from TOU that tells them what to do. They get into a room, and have to avoid or fight off guards (if they fight more will keep coming and the whole game will be a lot harder). Then they go through the course while being pursued. They have to board a shuttle or get to their home base to complete the challenge.
    3. Collect information as you go through the course.

IMPORTANT! PLEASE VOTE!

This’ll decide our games for certain. @melodyjoy @mischievous-thwapling @winter_rose

Winter Rose
    @winter_rose

@joelle-stone

Tysm for putting this all together!

You’re also going to vote, right?

~~~

Military Branch

Scientific Branch

A and b (chemistry and physics kind of go together, but if I had to pick one, probably b (physics)

Diplomatic Branch

#2 (I think we should keep the race because we don’t want the players realizing they’re being judged at the party, and we need eight games. We could also use the planned argument here.)

Judicial Branch

#3, second choice #5

Legislative Branch

Medical Branch

#3 I guess?? #4 could also be good…

TOU Branch

~~~

Sorry I picked multiples for some of them.

I think maybe Medical and Judicial could use a little work.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@winter_rose,

Tysm for putting this all together!

No problem! It was just a lot of cutting and pasting. XD

You’re also going to vote, right?

Oh yeah. I should probably do that. XD Thx for reminding me! 😛

And I agree. Judicial is really hard. 😀

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

@joelle-stone

Hmmm…. *has to reread through list a couple times because my brain is wonky and tired and confusing today*

Vote for Military Branch: 

#4 sounds like a cool idea/realistic-thing-they-would-do-for-it–I like it.

Vote for Scientific Branch: 

A and B.

Vote for Diplomatic ranch: 

Um… *thinks* Honestly, #1 seems like it doesn’t have a lot to do with actual diplomacy. *thinks some more* #2. That’s my choice.

Vote for Judicial Branch: 

I honestly don’t know. XD will come back to this later because it’s stumping me.

Vote for Legislative Branch:

#1 or #3

Vote for Medical Branch: 

#3 I guess….

Vote for TOU Branch: 

#1 or #2

_____________________________________________________________________________________

*scratches head uncertainly* Well, there you go. Sry for getting to this late. 😀 Thank you, @joelle-stone ! You really are the Official List-Maker XD

Mischievous Thwapling
    @mischievous-thwapling

Nvm. (ignore this post)

Mel
    @melodyjoy

@mischievous-thwapling @joelle-stone @winter_rose

Hey guys! I’ve been out of town for a week, so before I vote I’m gonna catch up on the previous stuff from page 39.

•  Joelle’s plot list:

Sounds very good. Thanks for putting all that together!

So, who is the Kid? I think I missed out on the times we talked about him… and I know nothing about him. Does he have any details developed yet?

You’re plan for Vika sounds cool, whatever it is 😛

And I do remember the apprenticeship idea, which I really like.

for #13, that sounds good. I’ll address my thoughts further below 🙂

• Winter Rose’s developmental questions 😀

Who’s character is Sikya? The “sisterhood-pact-thing” for Vika and Sikya (best friends tho, not mortal enemies) sounds like it would be good. It puts that emotional relationship-tie into things, and I’m pretty big on that kind of thing. The names being similar… I mean I don’t think it’s that big of a deal. All depends, I guess.

What Thwap put about the refueling on planets thing is a pretty good outlook. It could go either way, really. Add in excess bunny trails, or have cool adventure. We’ll see.

This sounds pretty good to me, except people might start getting suspicious. So, we could stick with them disappearing as soon as they lose, or they could stay around till the Winner party, and ooooh, maybe they could be “collected” and sold during that (except that might be complicated writing 2 plot aspects that are happening at the same time). Idk, what do you all think?

And yes, they’re being sold into slavery *evil cackle*

And Menace64, what was the purpose of that group again? And I have no idea who’s in it…

maybe they discover some sort of plot when they catch Ember/the Kid meeting with one of his cohorts, or something.

So, is the Kid good or bad? And Joelle’s idea to catch him in Part 2 sounds very good to me.

And yes, they’re trying out for all of the branches, as far as I remember.

Mmmmkay, and now for voting 😛

MELODY

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Mel
    @melodyjoy

Military Branch-The Final Battle

Scientific Branch-The Labyrinth

A and B

Diplomatic Branch

I agree with Thwap about how #2 has more to do with diplomacy, but I really like the idea from #1, so maybe we could do a morph of both of them, because I’m pretty sure that would be possible. (not to complicate things or anything… lol)

Judicial Branch-The Living Battle

#3 and second choice #5

Legislative Branch – Touch

I like #1and #3, but number 3 might be difficult, because would the players get some kind of notification informing them of new rules? Idk, sounds really complicated, but would be fun. So I’ll vote for #1 (without a) and #3

Medical Branch – Infection

looks like you guys have voted for #3, but that sounds super duper complicated… like we have teenagers competing in this, and yes that would definitely make sure the person winning is capable… but idk. I’m not sure which one to vote for, but I like #4 as my first option and then #3 or #1 as my second option.

TOU Branch – The Obstacle Course

——————————————————————————

Wow, Joelle, this is SOO helpful and really amazing. It’s exactly what we needed to move forward with our games. Thank you so much!

Melody

Life is short, smile while you still have teeth!

Viewing 15 posts - 571 through 585 (of 622 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Engaging Plots Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Pin It on Pinterest