fb

Fantasy Writers

Friendly debates here!

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Taylor Clogston
    @taylorclogston

@imwritehere1920 I can’t believe I neglected the most important topics in this thread.

Re cereal as soup: Depending on your definition, a soup may need to be boiled or simmered, even if it’s served cold. However, chilled cucumber soup is a major exception that no one would reject calling soup. In many cuisines, soup relies on the concept of broth made of vegetables or meat. I think if you deliberately let the flavors of your cereal steep into the milk, you’ve made soup. If your goal is to dampen the cereal and reject the milk, you’re not consuming it as soup, you’re eating cereal with dressing.

Re hotdog as sandwich: According to the USDA, hotdogs qualify as open-faced sandwiches.

Re mooses vs meese: “Goose” comes from a Proto-Germanic word. The “Geese” spelling derives from a Germanic rule which doesn’t apply to most English words. “Moose” comes from an Algonquian word and follows standard English pluralization rules.

Here’s my question: Which is the better Christmas drink, hot chocolate or eggnog?

"...the one with whom he so sought to talk has already interceded for him." -The Master and Margarita

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Oh my. What has this thread come to? XD

Wow…

"Where there's life, there's hope; and need of vittles."
    -Samwise Gamgee

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@denali-Christianson

Lol, I have no idea. I don’t really  think to much on food taxonomy

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@denali-christianson

*whispers* I think they’ve all gone mad from frying their brains over hot button topics….

@crazywriter

You know, I’ve never thought much on food taxonomy until today… lol.

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@taylorclogston

Huh, I never thought of cereal from that angle.

And if hotdogs are a type of open sandwich, does that mean canapes are also open faced sandwiches but just mini sized? (the only reason I know about canapes was from recently watching a baking show and having to look the term up XD)

Oh dude. Hot cocoa wins every time (my younger sister believes that eggs should not be added to any drink.) Of course, I’ve never tried eggnog. Have you?

And here’s a stumper: is a cello just a giant version of a violin?

(erm, sorry if anyone here plays either instrument and I caused offense…*ducks as tomatoes fly*)

We are all apprentices in a craft where no one ever becomes a master. — Ernest Hemingway

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

Hellloooo my peoples. I has returned to resurrect this present battlefield. XD

@imwritehere1920

You’re most obviously correct… XD

Lol okay there was a time when I probably would have been like YEAH A CELLO’S JUST AN OVERGROWN VIOLIN but now I’m not so sure… Course I don’t actually play either instrument so it’s hard to say for sure but… I still don’t think sooo…

-Samwise Gamgee

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

I think I dropped off when it got down to the level of…

Is peanut butter pâté?

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Erynne
    @erynne

@oBrian-of-the-surface-world

No. Just no. I can’t do anything with that.

Anybody interested in discussing more mature topics or do you wanna stick with food? I am totally game for either

In fact here’s this: are breadsticks just sticks of bread?

NO @DENALI-CHRISTIANSON I PLAY THE VIOLIN AND CELLOS ARE NOT JUST OVERGROWN VIOLINS

Be weird. Be random. Be who you are. Because you ever know who would love the person you hide.

Denali Christianson
    @denali-christianson

@erynne

YES PLLLEEASSSEEE LET’S DISCUSS MATURE TOPICS!!!!! XD

Buuuttttt…. no breadsticks are not just sticks of bread as they tend to have seasonings and often times fillings as well whereas sticks of bread are just that – bread cut into the shapes of sticks.

*ducks to avoid flying tomatoes* HEY I WASN’T THE ONE WHO SUGGESTED THAT TOPIC!!!!! It was @imwritehere1920 throw the tomatoes over there! XD

-Samwise Gamgee

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@erynne

*ducks from flying tomatoes*

(just did a double take and realized I made a typo. Instead of ‘flying’ tomatoes, I wrote ‘slying’ tomatoes… *facepalm* XD)

@denali-christianson

Hello, oh leader of the peoples! Glad you returned for battle!

Hmm, good point on the breadsticks.

And Hey! Thanks for throwing me under the bus XD

*ducks as more tomatoes fly* (and not sly.)

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@obrian-of-the-surface-world

….what is a pate??

…Okay, I just looked it up, and I want to say no… but since pate (I don’t have the right keyboard for the accents) is made from meat, which is a protein… then yes ’cause peanut-butter is a type of protein…?

*oh dear we need help*

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

Okay, okay. We’ll try to bring back some sanity, dignity, and maturity to this.

On a serious note: What are you’re guys’ thoughts about herbal remedies vs. modern medicine? (and by herbal, I don’t mean addictive drugs. I’m thinking of chamomile, ginger, arrowroot, ginkgo, etc. that are used for a more natural approach to health.)

(and just since it’s close to Christmas): Which do you think is better, an artificial tree or a live tree?

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@imwritehere1920

Oh man. What have we come to.

I honestly have no opinion on modern meds vs herbal remidies. I guess I see both as means to an end.

What’s y’alls opinion on the Vietnam War, and the mistreatment of the soldiers that came back?

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

What are you’re guys’ thoughts about herbal remedies vs. modern medicine? (and by herbal, I don’t mean addictive drugs. I’m thinking of chamomile, ginger, arrowroot, ginkgo, etc. that are used for a more natural approach to health.)

Both can have their uses, but as a general rule I think herbal remedies work better with our bodies since they’re natural and God-made. Modern medicines are more prone to clog up various processing routes in our bodies. But it depends on the medicine and how (and how frequently) it’s used. I definitely make use of both.

Looking at modern medicine vs. holistic medicine as institutions would be a very different conversation. XD

Which do you think is better, an artificial tree or a live tree?

My family had an artificial tree for the first several years of my life and then we started getting live trees, and I definitely prefer the live trees. They’re prettier, they’re less prickly, they smell nice, and you can dry them out and use them for firewood when you’re done with them. Artificial trees fall apart, look fake (at least the one we had; I suppose there could be better imitations out there), don’t smell like real tree, and aren’t as soft. (Even firs, which have pricklier needles than pines or some other trees, still have a softness that fake trees just don’t.)

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

imwritehere1920
    @imwritehere1920

@crazywriter

Merry Christmas! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

I haven’t done an in-depth study of the Vietnam War, nor of what happened to our soldiers when they returned. I do think, though, that the war was a tragedy and it’s sad that we had to see something similar happen in the middle east.

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest