fb

Fantasy Writers

Friendly debates here!

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)
  • Author
    Emily Waldorf
    @emily-waldorf

Anywho, that’s my take. Any other topics?

we could try end times, free will, and baptism, but that might set a bomb off, lol

Hier steche ich. Ich kann nicht anders. Gott helfe mir. Amen. ~Martin Luther

Brian Stansell
    @obrian-of-the-surface-world

I believe that cursing is the language of the uneducated and lazy.  With one or two words, one reveals their inability to articulate and they marginalize their audience to only those who seek darkness, to justify their own aggressions.

There.  That ought to stoke a fire. 😉

Like no one, ever, picks up a book and says, “Ooo I want to read this book with characters who can curse a blue streak.  Oh, joy! A book where all primary characters are suffering from Tourette syndrome manifesting through coprolalia. That’s what I need to relax and enjoy.”

It takes more skill, not less, to depict strong emotions or reactions without resorting to gutter talk.

Brian Stansell (aka O'Brian of the Surface World)
    I was born in war.
    Fighting from my first breath.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

Aaaaa! My man Brian! I cannot agree enough! I wrote up an entire document about this very topic! Perhaps I shall post it sometime.

Brian Stansell

@noah-cochran

I wrote up an entire document about this very topic! Perhaps I shall post it sometime.

Yes! Please do. I would love to read it!

Cheers!

I was born in war.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@emily-waldorf

I’d personally love those topics but I agree, it’s a minefield waiting to go off. If others want to hazard it, I’m all go, but let’s see.

@brian-of-the-surface-world

could not agree more.

Brian Stansell

Anyone want to discuss the sinister agenda of dystopian government overreach and v-mandates? Too soon?

The things going on in our present culture are ripe fodder for story.
    Transhumanism
    Eugenics
    Cancel culture
    Persecution of the Church

I was born in war.

Joelle Stone
    @joelle-stone

@crazywriter,

Woah, that’s a really dangerous way of thinking. >_<

@anne_the_noob14

Hello! *waves* I agree wholeheartedly. 😉

https://thepeninspired.wordpress.com

Brian Stansell

Here is a brief story (start) I just wrote that may generate some topical buz:

The wall monitor switched on… and so began the end of our world.

“Congratulations! You, Samuel Robinson Caruso, have been selected for enhancement.  Please report to Ascension Health Enhancement Center by 3:00 PM EST to undergo the procedure.  Welcome, Fellow Traveler.  You are about to enter a brave new world!”

Sam was my brother.  He was 12 when it happened.  Afterwards, he was never the same again.

Sam has become a sentinel of the state.  He patrols the city perimeter, looking for hold-outs like me.  Those who refused to be “enhanced”.  To enter the next stage of “human evolution”.

If Sam comes within range…I will be forced to kill him.  …Provided I see him first.  Sam’s enhancements were part of the Stage II directive of the Great Reset protocol.

Stage III application, so far has been an abysmal failure.  Many have died in the process.  The rest…  Well, the rest have been institutionalized.  Perhaps that word is too generous.  Their bodies were taken into the “institution” for “further research”.  Their minds…  Well, I doubt those are within the reach of anyone anymore.

Stage III enhancement purported to give the subjects the ability to read minds.  Neural communication, they called it.

The military had long been interested in the field application of such abilities, but so far, tampering with the human mind proven to be, if you’ll forgive the expression, a “tough nut to crack”.

Culture had long been primed to move the “Overton” window into acceptance of enhancing human bodies, but the ethical shift had taken longer than the proponents wished for.  But now.  With global control and centralization, ethical concerns of tampering with the human genome were no longer a deterrent.

With the youth culture fantasizing over “enhanced human abilities” the young fully embraced what the older generations never would.  They had lost the history of the human atrocities committed in such pursuits.

The scorned the idea that a benevolent Creator had envisioned them and had designed them.  Purposed them before time and space.  They were trained to see themselves as inadequate, rather than fearfully and wonderfully made.

Religion, faith, doctrines were relegated to the old ways of superstition.  The elder generations had died out before passing on their values, their sage wisdom, their legacy, and their heritage.  And in that vacuum, those powerbrokers saw their opportunity.  A chance to gain power over each and every person.  To ascend to a position of godlike control over those who lived and those who died.  To establish as New Order, and set forth a new agenda that they claimed would ultimately “save the world”.

Could I kill my brother Sam?

I could.  I must.

My brother died four years ago on January 13th on that fateful day when the wall monitor switched on, at precisely 3:27 PM, after he had prepped and taken in for “enhancement”.

The entity that had hunted our parents and turned them over to the state was not my brother.

I was born in war.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

we could try end times, free will, and baptism, but that might set a bomb off, lol

I enjoy hearing others’ thoughts on the end times and contributing the occasional opinion here or there, but it’s not something I know a whole lot about. Free will I could debate forever, but we’ve already got that going in another thread. XD And baptism I can argue from both sides, as far as paedobaptism vs. credobaptism, because I grew up baptist and then my immediate family and I ended up largely Presbyterian (all individually XD).

I believe that cursing is the language of the uneducated and lazy.

Some characters are uneducated and lazy.

they marginalize their audience to only those who seek darkness

That’s a very broad generalization. Just because I can see the value in using a coarse word once in a blue moon for the purposes of theme or character doesn’t mean I seek out the word for its own sake. There are differing comfort levels and differing reasons for those comfort levels depending on the person, and it’s the motivation that should be considered more than the behavior unless the behavior is a black-and-white sin

To my reading, curse words are more in a category with eating things offered to idols: a matter of motivation and conscience (both your own and that of those who would be impacted by your behavior). I doubt we’d be as hasty to call out non-cussing insults or other “filthy language” that tears down in a book. Though, granted, some readers will be more prone to get cuss words stuck in their heads than other “filthy language,” and that’s where the matter of looking out for another’s conscience comes in. But readers are prone to all sorts of sins, and that doesn’t mean we can just leave them out entirely when a book requires them. (Emphasis, again, on the necessity, because it’s incredibly rare that a curse word is truly necessary, and I’m not saying we should just throw in a heap of language for “authenticity.”)

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

R.M. Archer
    @r-m-archer

It takes more skill, not less, to depict strong emotions or reactions without resorting to gutter talk.

I do agree with that. And like I said earlier, I don’t support using curse words out of laziness. They should always be intentional and well-prayed-over.

Speculative fiction author. Mythology nerd. Worldbuilding enthusiast. Singer. Fan of classic literature.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

I’ll make separate post on the topic sometime, I don’t want to hijack this thread with my massive comments. xD

@r-m-archer

Hey Archer, how’s life? 🙂

They should always be intentional and well-prayed-over.

I’m gonna be perfectly honest with you, I had to read that twice to believe what I was seeing. xD

I’m fairly certain God does not want prayers to him along the lines of “Lord, is it okay if I swear today?” or “Jesus, I want this character to say the F word in my book, but please help me write it in the best way possible.”

If I misconstrued your point, please correct me.

Just because I can see the value in using a coarse word once in a blue moon for the purposes of theme or character doesn’t mean I seek out the word for its own sake.

I’ll post a short essay of sorts I wrote on this soon (and I’ll make sure to tag you), but for now I’ll just say that I think there is a very big difference between a character explicitly using a strong sexually crude word or profanity, and a character using non-sexual, non-profane filler language or merely using the phrase “she cursed.” (which I am a big fan of)

People draw their own lines when it comes to this “filler language,” but all I will say for now is that anything sexual or profane is completely wrong. Thoughts?

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@r-m-archer

I see your point, however, the question still remains is it edifying to others to have a stray  curse word?
    Perhaps. Certain instances may occur where it could. Who am I to be absolute in the statement that it never could be. However, Christ was the most edifying, encouraging, God centered person who ever lived, and he told many stories and never found the need to curse.
    Again, I bring up Colossians 3:5, 8. Paul talks about ‘putting to death sexual immorality, lust, impurity,’ etc, and then in verse 8 he says, “Now, put away all the following: anger, wrath, malice, slander, and filthy language from your mouth. It seems unlikely that when he says we should ‘killing’ this sin, and ‘putting it away’ that he means to completely exterminate one, while use the other for edifying reasons. It wouldn’t make sense. While I see what you’re saying, I agree with Brian, and say there does not appear to be ‘edifying’ cursing in scripture. Indeed, even swearing an oath is held in a bad light.

@noah-Cochran

While I also understand what you’re saying, I would stray from your specific argument. While swearing isn’t shown to be in scripture as edifying, Colossians 3:17 days, “And whatever you do, in word or in deed, do everything in the name of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks to God the Father through him.” If one is going to use a swear word, it should be prayed over, indeed, if it is being used by a Christian writer, it should be only with a clean conscience that it is for a good purpose. If it is, is should be well prayed over, and that writer should give glory to God, so that it is apparent that this book is not centered around cursing; rather that the cursing brings one closer to the Creator.
    That being said, I have yet to read an author that has done this, so I would say it is an extremely murky pond to wade into.

But I think your argument is a little too one dimensional and absolute. I had a friend who went through a missions program that was intended to prepare you for a kidnapping, abduction, and other bad situations. To make it realistic to get the trainees to fully comprehend the stress and hardship of that situation, the instructors had to swear, though they did as little as possible.
    Was that one instance where cursing would be edifying? I believe so, as it aided those going to other places to be prepared for the hardships that come with sharing the Gospel.

Noah Cochran
    @noah-cochran

@crazywriter

To make it realistic to get the trainees to fully comprehend the stress and hardship of that situation, the instructors had to swear

I am not at all convinced that is necessary even in such a situation, but regardless, it would only be even slightly okay if the swearing was non-sexual, non-profane.

Also, I can give you a bunch of verse about not having your conversation be corrupt or like the world’s, verses about not taking the Lord’s name in vain, and verses about not talking about sexually crude things.

If one is going to use a swear word, it should be prayed over, indeed, if it is being used by a Christian writer, it should be only with a clean conscience that it is for a good purpose.

What exactly do you mean by swear word? Profanity? Sexual language?  “Damn and hell” type stuff?

Personally, if there is any sort of swearing that is okay to write in a book, then I don’t think it needs to be prayed over. The bible is God’s message of what is okay to say and do, and trying to get as close to the line what is sinful and what is not as possible by praying about it is not the point. The point is to flee temptation and run away from the line of sin. This is not to say that prayer isn’t important, prayer is of vast importance, but one should not be praying about how close to sin they can get. That is the wrong kind of prayer.

Did that make any sense? xD

Brian Stansell

Let me pose the idea another way:

1. Does God’s Word authentically portray evil and wickedness?

2. Does God’s Word ever record a single profane curse word?

There are ways of depicting the coarseness of a situation or an expletive without actually using the word flavors of the day, but it does take a little ingenuity and thought, which requires more mastery.
    She maligned him, dressing him down with the verbal icing of a sewer trap.  She told him where to go and what to do within himself on the way there.

You get the point.

I was born in war.

Crazywriter
    @crazywriter

@noah-Cochran

No. The program was simply using the cursing to, as Brian said, display the intensity of the situation. No sexuality, no crudeness. It was intentional. I’m not advocating for it, I’m simply stating a fact. I think something you need to remember is the Bible is rated R. It’s not a children’s story. It contains murder, sexual assault, a father who murders his daughter, and a lowly carpenter hanging naked on a tree. Yet the Bible does not use it wantonly. It uses for a purpose.
    Documentation is not the same as advocation, and again, no swear word, IMO, should be used in Christian fiction, or books in general. I simply state that perhaps you are being a little to hasty in your judgement. ‘Foul language and crude speech,’ that the Bible forbids could extend to excessive sarcasm, or anything, like gossip. Do we then never document gossip in our books? Not if it is for a purpose.

Again, I heavily stress that curse words should never be used wantonly and IMO there is no place for it in good fantasy, but I only ask this if you: do not be too hasty in your judgement, and if you have verses, present them, and I shall happily hear your argument.

Prayer is a necessity in everything we do, so I think it is neglectful to say we should not pray over the writing of our books.

I agree with you that we should not pray over how close we can get to sinning, but if it is to document something that brings glory to God, I think prayer and consideration is something necessary.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 127 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Enroll in Our Seven-Day Mindset Challenge Course

Enter your email to begin taking the course. We'll send you a link to begin the mindset course along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You've joined the course! Check your email to watch the first video.

Stop Using Meaningless Character Questionnaires

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Enjoying This Article? Get the Full Series!

You can download the entire Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers series in e-book form for free!

Learn how to wisely handle subjects like violence, language, and sex as a writer.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the eBook in one moment...

Worldbuild Smarter, Not Harder

Some worldbuilding questionnaires force you to answer as many questions as possible about your world.

Ours doesn’t. Answer targeted questions that reveal what’s actually important about your world.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the worldbuilding questionnaire in one moment...

Take Your Style to the Next Level

Take Your Style to the Next Level

The written word matters to God.

Does it matter to you?

Learn how to develop an eloquent, practical, and personal style by downloading our free e-book.

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Every Year, Thousands of Writers Give Up

Don’t be the next.

We understand how exhausting writing can be, so download our free e-book and find inspiration to press on!

Don't Be That Kind of Christian Writer

Want to impact the world for Christ with your writing—without being preachy or cliched?

Learn how to avoid common pitfalls and craft powerful themes by downloading our free worksheet!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

So You Have Clichés in Your Novel...

Thankfully, we’re here to help!

Enter your email below, and we’ll send you a simple process for smashing clichés.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the cliche worksheet in one moment...

Enter your email to receive updates on the Resonant Themes Summit, along with emails to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Does Christian Fiction Need to Be Clean?

Our Tricky Subjects for Christian Storytellers e-book examines how to depict sensitive topics like violence, language, and sex with realism and wisdom. Sign up to download it for free!

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

Poetry Isn't Just for Poets

It can also help novelists write better stories!

Get our Harnessing the Power of Poetry e-book to learn how techniques used by skilled poets can enrich your storytelling.

You can download the entire Harnessing the Power of Poetry series in e-book form for free!

Learn what surprising insights and techniques novelists can glean from poets.

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Uncover the Secret to Relatable Characters

Learning how to help readers connect with your story's characters doesn't need to be a mystery.

Get our Evoking Reader Empathy e-book to discover how successful authors build empathy.

Knowing your character's favorite ice cream flavor won't help you write engaging protagonists.

Our questionnaire is different. Use it to discover your character's core fears, longings, hopes, and needs.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the character questionnaire in one moment...

Plotting Is Hard

Plotting Is Hard

That’s why we created a worksheet that will help you make sure your story hits all the right plot beats.

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the plot sheet in one moment...

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Learn What the Bible Says about Engaging Plots

Enter your email to get your guide, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

You have successfully subscribed for updates!

Learn How to Write Christian Themes that Resonate

Enter your email to get the worksheet, along with other resources to help you grow in your writing craft!

Congratulations! Redirecting you to the theme worksheet in one moment...

Pin It on Pinterest